The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can someone explain why Logic does this?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Can someone explain why Logic does this?

So if I run a synth in EXS24 through a few plugins (amp designers, eq, comp etc) it will sound different to when I send (an no output) the same synth to an audio track with the exact same channel strip.

It's really annoying because I run a lot of synths and instruments to the channel audio channel strips that come with Logic. I can seem to find anyway to browse these and put them onto a software instrument track.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
So if I run a synth in EXS24 through a few plugins (amp designers, eq, comp etc) it will sound different to when I send (an no output) the same synth to an audio track with the exact same channel strip.
To be more precise, are you talking about sending (routing) the signal to an "aux channel"?

The plugins within the channel itself receives the signal pre-fader. If you route the signal further downstream to an aux channel, the plugins receive the signal post-fader. Are you sending the signal at unity gain to the aux channel? Maybe that's your difference?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I have no experience with a real board etc so I've never really treated Logic like that. So I just refer to tracks as audio, midi or a bus when I send multiple things it (I guess I treat a bus like a folder).

I've attached pic. (the plugins on the right hand soft synth track are different I know but let's say they're the same)

My send is post fader.
Attached Images
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
I've attached pic. (the plugins on the right hand soft synth track are different I know but let's say they're the same)

My send is post fader.
Ok, let's pretend the inserts are exactly the same so we'll ignore that difference.

In your screenshot, your fader of "Amp Cabi 2" is currently at -3.7dB -- which means the inserts on aux channel "Crunch Blu 1" actually "hears" the quieter input signal at -3.7dB. On the other hand, the inserts on "Perry Synt 3" will "hear" the signal at 0.0dB because inserts within that strip see the signal before the fader (pre fader).

Try adjusting "Amp Cabi 2" fader to be 0.0dB unity gain and see if the sound is the same. (Btw, you might think you can switch the send mode to "pre fader" but that setting still applies channel EQ so the resulting sound won't be identical.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search