The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonivox Symphonic Collection Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Sonivox Symphonic Collection

I have curiosity for this library. is it better than VSL?

SONiVOX - Virtual Instruments & Music Technology Products

it is expensive, but the demos sound amazing in my opinion. What do you think? any users here?, what about the woodwinds and the strings?

Well I am not going to buy this in a short term period, because I have other products in mind first, but I just want to clarify my doubts because I recently discovered this library and it immediately activated the G.A.S. symptoms in my mind.

thanks!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

These libraries are good, but they are quite old - I've had them for eight years or so. You'll notice in the testimonials that one endorser refers to "Kontact 2", and besides misspelling the name of the host program, this should give you an idea of how ancient they are.

The sounds are well-recorded and are a nice complement to my other libraries, but as far as I know there are no true-legato patches, multiple mic positions, or other fancy modern features. I bought them in EXS24 format something like eight or ten years ago, before Kontakt was even a player in the game.... I still use some of the staccato and sul pont strings because they have a nice tone though.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
These libraries are good, but they are quite old - I've had them for eight years or so. You'll notice in the testimonials that one endorser refers to "Kontact 2", and besides misspelling the name of the host program, this should give you an idea of how ancient they are.

The sounds are well-recorded and are a nice complement to my other libraries, but as far as I know there are no true-legato patches, multiple mic positions, or other fancy modern features. I bought them in EXS24 format something like eight or ten years ago, before Kontakt was even a player in the game.... I still use some of the staccato and sul pont strings because they have a nice tone though.

really??, damn, I am really outdated!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

When I bought them the company was called Sonic Implants....
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Got to say that I will probably NEVER touch a Sonivox product having had such a total lack of customer care and seemingly total disinterest in support for their products. Updates for recent libraries don't properly install ( the ONLY example of a Kontakt based product update that uses Service Center that I've ever used that DOESN"T work ! )

Zero response from email support and no luck with phoning them either

**** em !
Old 12th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Is there a catch to their pricing (like are they mis-listed)?

The thing still costs 3000 dollars at this age?
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Got to say that I will probably NEVER touch a Sonivox product having had such a total lack of customer care and seemingly total disinterest in support for their products. Updates for recent libraries don't properly install ( the ONLY example of a Kontakt based product update that uses Service Center that I've ever used that DOESN"T work ! )

Zero response from email support and no luck with phoning them either

**** em !
+1
if you venture over to vi-control.net
look for the Broadway Big Band thread.They had a 1 day sale in Dec. That many users went for,great prices compared to the regular pricing but of all of the VI sales I purchased in December, this is absolutely the most disappointing and the only 1 that I wish I hadn't wasted my $$ on.
I doubt I will ever buy any of their products again.
10 years ago they might have been good but there are some great newer libraries out there.
I don't have VSL but they are definitely one of the best,essentially a standard in the virtual orchestral world.
Old 12th February 2012
nas
Lives for gear

It's an older library and at times a little cumbersome with regards to workflow and programming... but it is still a great sounding library. The Woodwinds are fantastic and the percussion is also great. Strings are very expressive but are a smaller sounding section, so I usually blend them with strings from another library to fatten the sound when needed. The brass is decent but could be programmed better. To sum up, this is still a great sounding library and gets used on all my projects along with VSL. I think that they should bring the price down though... as it has been around for a while and other more intuitive great sounding libraries are now on the market.
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas View Post
It's an older library and at times a little cumbersome with regards to workflow and programming... but it is still a great sounding library. The Woodwinds are fantastic and the percussion is also great. Strings are very expressive but are a smaller sounding section, so I usually blend them with strings from another library to fatten the sound when needed. The brass is decent but could be programmed better. To sum up, this is still a great sounding library and gets used on all my projects along with VSL. I think that they should bring the price down though... as it has been around for a while and other more intuitive great sounding libraries are now on the market.
Can you take a look at the woodwind package for me and see what articulations the contrabassoon has? On their site all other instruments are given the "legato vibrato" and "legato non vibrato" designations. But the contrabassoon only has a "legato" listed under it.

Thanks.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search