The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME 400 Problems Audio Interfaces
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head
RME 400 Problems

I bought a RME 400 Fireface and after some time problems started when recording audio. Some of the recorded audio files picks up crackling noise that can occur either spontaneuos or when I make adjustments in the sound on the synth during recording. I have a Mac G5 dual. Anybody who also experienced this problem ?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Could be a latency issue.

I was using VB3 via midi through my Juno-G and got the crackles you describe. My crackles weren't actually on the recordings due to them occurring randomly - never in the same place on different playbacks. I lowered my buffer size (latency) level and this solved it. Try it at 128 (3ms) or 256 (6ms).

Your settings will be in the RME ASIO panel. Select a lower (faster) buffer size (latency) and see what happens. Just experiment with different settings.

Conversly, another situation I had was when I got the crackles without using my synth. This time, I solved the issue by increasing my latency - the opposite of what I did above. Weird.

Therefore, go the opposite direction with your latency too.

BM
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

That sounds like a computer overload problem, not a hardware problem. You are asking too much of your machine. If you don't want to change the audio settings try turning off some unused elements when working with audio. A network card is usually a high-demand device, turn it off, or something similar. Look for software or processes running in the background that you don't need, turn them off.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMountain View Post
I lowered my buffer size (latency) level and this solved it. Try it at 128 (3ms) or 256 (6ms).

Your settings will be in the RME ASIO panel. Select a lower (faster) buffer size (latency) and see what happens. Just experiment with different settings.

Conversly, another situation I had was when I got the crackles without using my synth. This time, I solved the issue by increasing my latency - the opposite of what I did above. Weird.

Therefore, go the opposite direction with your latency too.

BM
Thank you for advice. I did actually have some layency problems which I solved adjusting some settimgs in Logic. But I'll try making som adjustments in the RME ASIO panel.

Previously I used a Saffire card. I never experienced a single problem with that card so I was a bit surprised getting problems by buying a more expensive/better card
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That sounds like a computer overload problem, not a hardware problem. You are asking too much of your machine. If you don't want to change the audio settings try turning off some unused elements when working with audio. A network card is usually a high-demand device, turn it off, or something similar. Look for software or processes running in the background that you don't need, turn them off.
Thanks! Maybe it's the network card that is causing the problems. But otherwise I'm not really overusing my compute I think. Perhaps the firewire cable too long and contributing.

Sholud I use the card with or without external power suply? My previous saffire was relying on power from the USB cable. Maybe it's the same with the FF400.

I will also test the card with my macbook pro and see if it works better on an intel processor
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ololi View Post
...Perhaps the firewire cable too long and contributing.

I will also test the card with my macbook pro and see if it works better on an intel processor
May be the quality of the firewire cable.

I had a FF800 which worked like a dream using several different computers, all Intel. I used wall power.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search