The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC takes ages to switch on after being off overnight Dynamics Plugins
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac
PC takes ages to switch on after being off overnight

Hey guys,

For a while now I have had this problem and it is getting progressively worse. I normally turn off my studio computer overnight and switch off at the wall. In the morning I turn the electric back on and the computer is dead. No amount of flicking the on switch will bring it to life. Then after about 20mins I am able to switch it on. The time it takes to switch on everyday is getting progressively longer. Once on the computer works absolutely fine with no issues. The green led on the motherboard doesn't glow either until its ready to come on. I'm assuming its either a power supply or motherboard issue.

Cheers
Steve
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Sounds like it could be a PSU (Power Supply) Issue or something to do with the mains leading up to the PC.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
That does sound like a PSU issue. I advise buying a cheap compatible PSU for testing purposes. A friend of mine went through a farcical adventure where the PSU was at fault but he replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM only to find it was the PSU in the end. Don't trust those $20 PSU testers either: only loaded by running a system can you be sure a PSU is working. His PSU was a Zalman and tested fine at the store using one of those testers but in fact when plugged into a system it failed.

It astounds me though: a PSU is the one component they could afford to over-engineer to last a decade for the price they now charge for them. This is where you clearly see planned obsolescence at work. $200 for a power supply? Sheesh...
Old 2nd September 2011
You just need to swap out your psu
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomaster View Post
I normally turn off my studio computer overnight and switch off at the wall.
What do you mean turning the switch off at the wall?

Do you have a switch on the wall that regulates power to the outlets? Flick the switch up, and outlets have power; flick the switch down, and outlets don't have power? Umm, I hate to state the obvious here, but have you tried leaving that switch ON?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Hi guys,

Well I got around to putting in a new PSU. Replaced my 5yr old Zalman with a 550w Rasurbo EAS ECO PSU. Saw it recomended on Quietpc.com and was only £35. Amazingly quiet for the price. Everything working fine again. Thanks.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
This is not directed at the OP, just a general consideration. It's a typical mistake of inexperienced PC builders to cheap out on components that may seem to be of marginal importance but that they, in fact, are critical to ensure that the computer works well for a long time. Typically this category includes mobos, cases, fans/cooling systems and PSU's. Try to balance your system, don't just spend most of your money on CPU, RAM and drives and then leave almost nothing for the rest.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search