The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the absolute most superior way of connecting external preamp to a pc Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

the absolute most superior way of connecting external preamp to a pc

my drunk friend killed my gear. he knocked over my mic stand and sat on my headphones. an akg perception 420 and akg mk 271 cans.

i am now left with a less than ideal mic stand and a focusrite pro 24 dsp interface.

its been a while and ive saved up a decent amount of money making mcdoubles at mcdonalds and now im gonna give gear acquisition another shot. this time im aiming a little higher.

i did some research on youtube and listened to hundreds of recorded singers and have a good idea of what i want based on the singers that
matched my vocal range and delivery style.

its hard to describe my style but ive been told i sound like cross between eric hutchinson, jason mraz, postal service, vampire weekend, maroon 5 and (i know its a chick) but regina spektor.

a shure sm7b microphone for vocals (singing and rapping), an audio technica at4050 for acoustic guitar, audio technica headphones, and a focusrite isa one digital preamp.

the only thing I am ignorant to is whether or not I should keep the focusrite interface or ditch it for something else. i primarily record on a pc.

i stayed up really late last night researching on how to bypass the saffire 24's preamps and the only thing I could find was with the pro 40.

with the pro 40, i gathered that i need a toslink cable between the focusrite isa one digital to the optical in on the back of my saffire pro 24. i feel so stupid.

is there a way to do this and, is if so is there a more superior sounding vocal signal path to my computer?

i wasnt sure of where to put this so i posted in low end and music computer sub forums...

the maximum im willing to drop on this whole affair is 2000 so any miscellaneous suggestions would be really really appreciated. thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search