The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sturmdrum 2 or Drums of War 2? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st August 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Sturmdrum 2 or Drums of War 2?

Hi all! I would like some help here :

Have you tried those drum libraries?, which one sound better?... I am not sure which one to pick.

Also, do you know a good library that could contain a good, clear and powerul timbal sound?

thank you very much in advance!
Old 31st August 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

For the money I'd go with SD2, and if you can go the extra 'Pro' upgrade it is worth it too.

I have most of the big perc libraries and SD2 is the one I keep coming back to.

Do you mean 'Timbale' sound - again there are many around that can achieve this but it does tend to be the Latin percussion libraries that focus on the Timbale

Beer.
Old 31st August 2011
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
For the money I'd go with SD2, and if you can go the extra 'Pro' upgrade it is worth it too.

I have most of the big perc libraries and SD2 is the one I keep coming back to.

Beer.
thanks man! that is what I needed (really fast answer BTW!)

just for curiosity, do you have Drums of War also?, what do you think about this one? (to see how tricky the demos could be)

Well, I just need some timbals and my percusion would be complete!

ps: if I can recommend something to other people 8Dio (ex Tonehammer) Epic Dhols is great for not much money
Old 31st August 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
whinecellar's Avatar
I have them both and use them a lot - they compliment each other well. SD2 offers a MUCH more extensive pallette of sounds and would be my first choice if I didn't have either. DOW is more focused on large toms & just plain big drums. Think Lord of the Rings. SD2 has some of that plus a ton of other stuff, including small perc.

2 different animals, and again, very complimentary.
Old 31st August 2011
  #5
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinecellar View Post
I have them both and use them a lot - they compliment each other well. SD2 offers a MUCH more extensive pallette of sounds and would be my first choice if I didn't have either. DOW is more focused on large toms & just plain big drums. Think Lord of the Rings. SD2 has some of that plus a ton of other stuff, including small perc.

2 different animals, and again, very complimentary.
Great! thanks man!!
Old 31st August 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

Ah, But SD2 'PRO' contains patches like 'Persian Battle Drums' and quite a few 'middle earth' patches too. - perfect stuff,


I have all of the original 'Tonehammer' Epic: Dhol, toms, Daiko, Frame Drums and solo - initially they seem like good buys but when you add up how much each of these products cost compared to SD2 and then look at how little you get compared to SD2 pro i really thing It's still a no brainer to go SD2 Pro and have it all
Old 31st August 2011
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Ah, But SD2 'PRO' contains patches like 'Persian Battle Drums' and quite a few 'middle earth' patches too. - perfect stuff,


I have all of the original 'Tonehammer' Epic: Dhol, toms, Daiko, Frame Drums and solo - initially they seem like good buys but when you add up how much each of these products cost compared to SD2 and then look at how little you get compared to SD2 pro i really thing It's still a no brainer to go SD2 Pro and have it all

mmm good point!, I bought Epic Dhols because it sounded powerful and clear compared with the default percusion I had in the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, but you are right regarding the totally cost VS the total cost of SD2 and what I would get from it.... it seems I will get a lot with SD2
Old 1st September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

If you are going to get SD2, get the pro expansion, as mentioned. Well worth it.

Cheers.
Old 1st September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
whinecellar's Avatar
Forgot to mention the considerable library of multis & MIDI performances that come with SD2 - there's an abundance of great material in there. There's also a free expansion set by Pietro Musial on East West's forum - he put some really slammin' stuff together as well.

Again, I'd get them both if you can (as well as the Tonehammer/8Dio titles), but if you have to start with just one, my vote would easily be SD2 and then follow up with the others.

Just my $.02!
Old 1st September 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 

I think if all of you recommended SD2 is because the library should be a delight.

I will get the Pro expansion for sure

thanks to all of you!
Old 1st September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

Go for it !

Beer.
Old 1st October 2011
  #12
Gear Addict
 

Well, I have Stormdrum 2 now and I have to say that this is an amazing product. I still think that 8dio percussion worth the money and they even sound better IMO (more powerful), nonetheless, Stormdrum 2 sounds amazing too and it is a great tool for my work. Worth the money 200%

Thanks to all for your recommendations!
Old 2nd October 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
Yeah, because today's film music doesn't sound homogenized enough...
Old 2nd October 2011
  #14
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
Yeah, because today's film music doesn't sound homogenized enough...

I didnt understand your post, can you explain your words please?. Sorry, I am not a native English speaker.

cheers!
Old 2nd October 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by donethur View Post
I didnt understand your post, can you explain your words please?. Sorry, I am not a native English speaker.

cheers!
What I meant is that most of today's film music uses the very same libraries, sounds, loops, stereotypes etc. and ends up sounding exactly the same no matter who the composer is. I'm tired of taiko drums that score action sequences and long bass pedals over which an Arab woman sings ad libs to evoke mystery. I understand that it's what many directors want, but it's time for these guys to let composers try new ideas...
Old 2nd October 2011
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
What I meant is that most of today's film music uses the very same libraries, sounds, loops, stereotypes etc. and ends up sounding exactly the same no matter who the composer is. I'm tired of taiko drums that score action sequences and long bass pedals over which an Arab woman sings ad libs to evoke mystery. I understand that it's what many directors want, but it's time for these guys to let composers try new ideas...
for me a new idea is a new melody never created before... Nonetheless, I wonder: what if most of them use the same libraries?. I dont see nothing wrong with that.

Also, what if the composer likes to compose that kind of music?, why would it be wrong?. There is other market for those who experiment with sounds and music. I think it is great, to try new stuff, but to me the important things are located in the ideas instead of the sounds, which is a complement IMO. You can create a new musical genre but if there is no good idea, you probably wont be sucessful, the same for the typical film music, if there is not good ideas, the thing becomes common. Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Danny Elfman, etc., are good not only for their skills as a composer or the sounds they use, they are good for having good ideas.

Thats my opinion

cheers!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump