The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
yet another interface thread Audio Interfaces
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

yet another interface thread

Hello,

I need to upgrade my interface. I searched around, read here and there, but I'm still undecided. This is what I need: the interface must be cross-platform (windows7 and lion) and firewire. I don't need many inputs, since I won't be recording drums, or live bands, just acoustic guitars, bass, vocals. Much of the time I will use electric guitars directly plugged into the interface, so it must have hi-z and good ad/da. I will mix for 5.1 from time to time, so enough outputs are required. Since most of the keyboards will be vsti, low latency is a must. In the future I will connect hardware synthesizers, so it must have midi in/out and spdif. I was thinking about steinberg mr816 x or rme fireface 400, but it doesn't hurt to ask the experts. My budget is around 1000 euros, will go over it if i really need to, but of course, the cheaper, the better.

Thanks
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Maniac

uhm... no one?
Old 31st August 2011
FF400 gives lower latency. MR816 is a bargain and 8 pretty good preamps/converters. If low latency is a must and you don't need more than 2 preamps, it sounds like the FF400 is for you.
Old 1st September 2011
There are certainly many options. I'm a HUGE Focusrite proponent. I've had absolutely nothing but good experiences with them. RME make great units as well, although I think their drivers outshine the I/O.

Mackie *reportedly* has some decent FW interfaces and they come with the Cirrus Logic converters.

All-in-all, with converters, I/O, latency, pres in mind I would go with a Focusrite. Maybe a liquid saffire
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes, i've only heard good things about mr816. Dunno much about focusrite though. Any other options i should consider? I might get a discount for any interface...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head
I am very happy with my mbox3 pro - good build quality, nice layout. I looked at the RME Babyface but preferred the usability of the mbox
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

what do you mean by usability? also, I'm a little reluctant about avid products...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head
re usability - the software mixer is simple and easy to understand. The hardware is well laid out with smooth nicely weighted knobs and some nice functions such as the soft clipping and the dim/mute. But I don't think this is the 'only' or the 'best' or any of that stuff. The mr816 is twice the price of the mbox pro here in Australia and would be no better for me, the babyface was a bit dearer, but mainly I did not like the complexity (total mix is complete overkill for me) and the breakout cable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search