The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
G5 to iMac: is it an upgrade? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

G5 to iMac: is it an upgrade?

Just wanted to get a general consensus from those wiser than myself.

I have been running a dual 2.7 ghz powerpc g5 in my studio for 6 years. Since it's a powerpc, it's been at the end of the line for a while now.

Since I'm stuck at PT 7.4 I'd love to upgrade to PT 8 or 9 and was looking at a iMac with 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor.

The only hitch is that my old G5 has been a reliable workhorse and has never given me any trouble other than the CD drive kicking the bucket.

So I guess I'm wondering if an iMac, albeit 6 years newer, will be able to handle the day to day of my old G5.

Do you think this is a realistic 'upgrade'?

Thanks, all!
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar gamble View Post
So I guess I'm wondering if an iMac, albeit 6 years newer, will be able to handle the day to day of my old G5.

Do you think this is a realistic 'upgrade'?

Thanks, all!
The iMac should blow away the G5! Intel processors of those days were already more powerful than the PowerPC processors. Current ones are many times more powerful.

Alistair
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The iMac should blow away the G5! Intel processors of those days were already more powerful than the PowerPC processors. Current ones are many times more powerful.

Alistair

Thanks!

I guess a more realistic question might be, do you think that the newer versions of PT (8,9) would run just as smooth as 7.4 did on my old G5?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes.

I have a 2007 Imac and I run PT9 and it works great. Many tracks and plugins, etc.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

it'll knock your socks off, it's many times faster
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Go for the i7 instead! it is way faster! you will not regret it.

Always go for the fastest you can afford or you will have to buy a new computer after three years again.

I did this mistake and now I will not do it again!

Old 4th September 2011
For me it has been an upgrade.
I'm using a 2007 iMac too, but I can use all the latest software and routinely mix in Logic with a ton of plug-ins.
Old 4th September 2011
cme
Gear Nut

A couple or years ago I swapped a 2.0ghz dual-core g5 power mac for my 2.4 ghz core 2 duo MacBook pro. I lost no power and gained serious portability. In fact I rarely max it out still. The new I-series processors are a jump over the core 2 duos. So a quad core I-series machine should be awesome.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks so much, everyone!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search