The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New audio interface choice? RME Fireface 400 or MBox 3 Pro? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
I think the best thing (if possible) is for you guys to hear the interfaces. I think you will pleasantly surprised when hearing the MR816 vs RME FF400 vs Mbox. It is not night and day, no, but there is more dimension and better imaging with the MR816 for me. It really is impressive. Plus, even though I have high end pre amps, I have tried the pre amps on the N12 (same pres as the MR816) and the head room / clarity was amazing. Very impressed.

Ps, be careful not to compare the coverter chips alone between interfaces. There are so many other aspects involved within conversion, other than the chips themselves, such as the actual signal path, so literally, two interfaces can have the same converters, but the quality of the conversion itself can be quite different
Here's the thing you don't seem to understand: He wants very low latency, and until the new MBox came along, RME was pretty much alone at the top, in terms of low latency and stability.

I'd love for the MR816 to be a good option for me (I'm looking for a new interface too). But what's the rated latency of the Steinberg box when compared to RME?

I used to think sound quality was everything, but it really isn't. I want very low latency, very stable drivers. Can the Steinberg MR816 deliver that? I'm obviously NOT INTERESTED in "well, I never had problems in my home studio" crap answers. I want a real, professional answer on this. If the MR816 isn't a new holy grail of driver latency/stability (and they don't seem to brag about on the website, which is a big indicator that it's probably sub-par), then I don't really care how "professional" the converters are.

Again, don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to just spend $700 and get a great sounding interface - but is the driver quality going to be decent?

EDIT: Right now, my personal MBox Pro "pros" are
- the fact that it's a metal box instead of breakout cables like in the RME babyface.
My MBox Pro "cons":
- Avid brand (horrible support, horrible drivers);
- Undecided size between half rack and full rack? Make up your mind, Avid idiots.
- No ADAT? Seriously?

My RME "pros":
- Driver stability and dependable ultra-low latency
- ADATs, so I can at least connect an MR816 if I want to, one day.
Old 16th June 2012
Gear Nut

Sorry to hijack your thread but it feels silly starting a new thread considering the countless interface comparison threads so here I go:

Which of the three interfaces is the way to go based on (ordered by priority):
  • best for vocal recording (preamp, converters etc.)
  • low latency
  • low noise floor (since I compress vocals a lot)

RME Babyface, Mbox 3 Pro or Apogee Duet 2.

I've chosen these three since they're in pretty much the same price range and they have a good reputation. I'm returning a Presonus Audiobox I bought less than 2 months ago and I hope that they will sound and perform better.

Forgot to mention that I don't care for portability!

Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search