The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME totalmix and midi control? anyone Control Surfaces
Old 21st August 2011
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
peachboy's Avatar
 

Anyone know how I can configure Logic with TotalMix? I'm trying to setup some Channel faders in Logic that are directly connected to faders in Totalmix.
Old 22nd August 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
I haven't tried but here's a quick stab:

Create a single monitor object, in the left object inspector set its output to be specifically the midi output for totalmix, and for midi channel totalmix is set to respond to different channels per fader so set that to ALL.

Create a fader, set its output data to correspond to the information documented in this thread for the first totalmix channel...ie fader 1 should be outputting midi channel 1, CC# 102 (hex 66) and then the values sent should control totalmix channel 1.

I can try this later if it doesn't work for you...
Old 22nd August 2011
  #33
Thumbs up

.

From my thread here:

Anyone controlling their FF800 via MIDI?

-------------------------------

Success!

I just hooked up my Behringer BNC44 to my Fireface 800, and I'm all set.

I'm happy I can control the Fireface Total Mix presets for tracking, mixing, and speaker switching setups, including phones.

I've assigned the 8 Total Mix Fireface presets to each of the bottom 8 assignable buttons on the controller -
including the middle row of volume knob buttons.

We also programmed the volume knobs so that they are redundent - controlling whatever volume is up.

I've got all my relative volumes adjusted for tracking mics and guitar direct.

I'm using the Total Mix dim control as a master mute - assigned to the button on my first volume knob.

There are a couple of things I wish I could do - like control Fireface input volumes via MIDI, but for now I'm a happy camper!

It's awesome!

Thanks, lads!

.
Old 22nd August 2011
  #34
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
can't answer your question, but would just like to take the opportunity to vent about the Totalmix manual. It's one of the least user-friendly, poorly translated and badly written pieces of technical writing it has ever been my misfortune to have to rely on.
.

Well, if you think the RME manual is bad, the Behringer manual really S>U>C>K>S.

.
Old 22nd August 2011
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
peachboy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
I haven't tried but here's a quick stab:

Create a single monitor object, in the left object inspector set its output to be specifically the midi output for totalmix, and for midi channel totalmix is set to respond to different channels per fader so set that to ALL.

Create a fader, set its output data to correspond to the information documented in this thread for the first totalmix channel...ie fader 1 should be outputting midi channel 1, CC# 102 (hex 66) and then the values sent should control totalmix channel 1.

I can try this later if it doesn't work for you...
Thanks. In the end what I did was to create an external MIDI object that ran via an IAC bus and that seems to work well.
Old 23rd August 2011
  #36
Gear Head
 

Is everything working yet?

I've been helping Sqye program his BCN44, so I have my head in this stuff at the moment.

redmastering: Did you get the mutes working? BTW, thanks for the thread -- I wouldn't have known about the faders otherwise.

recordinghouse: Did you get the MC Mix working? Killahurts said it worked for him. Here's a list of things to try -- just trying to help:

* Enable both MIDI control and Mackie Protocol (as Timur says).
* Check that the MC Mix is set for Mackie Control.
* Try a different set of MIDI cables.
* Hook up MIDI cables in both directions (MC out to RME in, and vice-versa).
* Read the RME manual section titled "Loopback Detection".
* In TotalMix, disable full LCD support.
* Try a different Mackie Control device, like a real Mackie Control.

BTW, which RME device are you using? Which firmware version?

p.s. I'm sure it's all in the manual. Just kidding.
Old 23rd August 2011
  #37
Gear Head
 

TotalMix manual is a work of genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
It's one of the least user-friendly, poorly translated and badly written pieces of technical writing it has ever been my misfortune to have to rely on.
I agree the TotalMix manual could be improved, but you have NO idea. Try the average Roland manual, and you'll see how bad it really gets...
Old 26th August 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
Red Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidespinosa View Post
I've been helping Sqye program his BCN44, so I have my head in this stuff at the moment.

redmastering: Did you get the mutes working? BTW, thanks for the thread -- I wouldn't have known about the faders otherwise.

recordinghouse: Did you get the MC Mix working? Killahurts said it worked for him. Here's a list of things to try -- just trying to help:

* Enable both MIDI control and Mackie Protocol (as Timur says).
* Check that the MC Mix is set for Mackie Control.
* Try a different set of MIDI cables.
* Hook up MIDI cables in both directions (MC out to RME in, and vice-versa).
* Read the RME manual section titled "Loopback Detection".
* In TotalMix, disable full LCD support.
* Try a different Mackie Control device, like a real Mackie Control.

BTW, which RME device are you using? Which firmware version?

p.s. I'm sure it's all in the manual. Just kidding.
nah...still waiting for solution
being so busy recently I just don't have a time to pursue this idea
but the best solution I think would be to get bcn44 to work under mackie control then you can:
1. use 4 knobs for 4 stereo faders (1 upper row)
2. use 4 knobs/push for muting un/muting channels
3. first 2 buttons from left - move your fader conrol to next 4 by right (second) one, the one on the left - to move it left
in this way you have very easy control of all faders, just click the button, one or few times -
4. the last buttons on your right - mono and dim

that's the best solution,
now let's find someone who knows how to do it ???
maybe just midi cc will do, I dunno...
even with just few controls at the moment i am so happy - don't have to switch window on my screen...just turn knobs - very very handy

c'mon folks, there must be here on gs few midi wizards able to help

peace

PS. or maybe some rme tech giving bit more help then - check your manual)
Old 26th August 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

Does your controller not offer to send notes instead of CCs? If it can send notes I don't see where it is complicated? If it cannot send notes then you need a better Midi controller. :P
Old 26th August 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Red Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
Does your controller not offer to send notes instead of CCs? If it can send notes I don't see where it is complicated? If it cannot send notes then you need a better Midi controller. :P
it does,
I have bcr2000 but it's too big for my desk:
my desk
so I keep it somewhere else and for different tasks (midi for synths, effects, etc)
bcn44 is small, and could do all of it according to rme's manual (read your manual!)

btw, the way you answer makes me think you are somehow connected to rme, as you side with them and against anyone who has different (critical) opinion...just my 2 cents
please if you could support this thread - do so, if you rme seller or representative (even if you claim you don't) and all you have to say is ....... you know...then, let us be and go somewhere else,
thank you
Old 26th August 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
He's not an RME representative nor is he affiliated with them afaik, rather he's just being helpful. Between his responses and mine we've given you the info you needed, why so rude?
Old 26th August 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

I'm not a representative, but I am affiliated in that I test stuff for them and sometimes help with support questions that are in my field of expertise. Rest assured that I'm all for having as much MIDI control over (any piece of audio) software as possible. But it's rather counter-productive to vent off on a supposedly "missing" feature that *really* is described in any of the less ancient manuals. That plus the workarounds of the really missing Mute having been pointed to by fellow GS users.

So here is the easy to read version of my former post that already explained how to do it (in explanation of the Mackie Control protocol listed in the link I already posted).

All on MIDI channel 1:

Mute 1 on: note E0, velocity 127
Mute 1 off: note E0, velocity 0
Mute 2 on: note F0, velocity 127
Mute 2 off: note F0, velocity 0
Mute 3 on: note F#0, velocity 127
Mute 3 off: note F#0, velocity 0
Mute 4 on: note G0, velocity 127
Mute 4 off: note G0, velocity 0
Mute 5 on: note G#0, velocity 127
Mute 5 off: note G#0, velocity 0
Mute 6 on: note A0, velocity 127
Mute 6 off: note A0, velocity 0
Mute 7 on: note A#0, velocity 127
Mute 7 off: note A#0, velocity 0
Mute 8 on: note B0, velocity 127
Mute 8 off: note B0, velocity 0

You may want to consider hiring a (semi)professional programmer to set up your gear though. It would save you the hassle of wrapping your brain around all this stuff for the costs of paying someone who already did.
Old 26th August 2011
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Red Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur View Post
I'm not a representative, but I am affiliated in that I test stuff for them and sometimes help with support questions that are in my field of expertise. Rest assured that I'm all for having as much MIDI control over (any piece of audio) software as possible. But it's rather counter-productive to vent off on a supposedly "missing" feature that *really* is described in any of the less ancient manuals. That plus the workarounds of the really missing Mute having been pointed to by fellow GS users.

So here is the easy to read version of my former post that already explained how to do it (in explanation of the Mackie Control protocol listed in the link I already posted).

All on MIDI channel 1:

Mute 1 on: note E0, velocity 127
Mute 1 off: note E0, velocity 0
Mute 2 on: note F0, velocity 127
Mute 2 off: note F0, velocity 0
Mute 3 on: note F#0, velocity 127
Mute 3 off: note F#0, velocity 0
Mute 4 on: note G0, velocity 127
Mute 4 off: note G0, velocity 0
Mute 5 on: note G#0, velocity 127
Mute 5 off: note G#0, velocity 0
Mute 6 on: note A0, velocity 127
Mute 6 off: note A0, velocity 0
Mute 7 on: note A#0, velocity 127
Mute 7 off: note A#0, velocity 0
Mute 8 on: note B0, velocity 127
Mute 8 off: note B0, velocity 0

You may want to consider hiring a (semi)professional programmer to set up your gear though. It would save you the hassle of wrapping your brain around all this stuff for the costs of paying someone who already did.
thank you for that
Old 26th August 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Red Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
He's not an RME representative nor is he affiliated with them afaik, rather he's just being helpful. Between his responses and mine we've given you the info you needed, why so rude?
heh...and you are his girlfriend or what ?
seems you know him so well....
I wasn't rude mate, it was rather ambient request, no rudeness

take care
Old 26th August 2011
  #45
Lives for gear
 
Timur Born's Avatar
 

Valis has seen me post on all kind of threads where I'm either discussing matters in search of real knowledge (mine and others) or helping people out. So it's quite nice of him trying to keep this thread civil.

Plus he obviously already got all information necessary to implement your requests out of the former posts and thus deemed them helpful enough. He does have a point of finding you kind of "rude", because after you have already been given the same information from various angles you still ask me to leave the thread as if I did not already contribute anything to it.

I admit though that those Mackie tables are a bit confusing because of the many numbers listed in them. Frankly I just ignored all information in there I did not need, without even giving thoughts about what they could mean. Now I took another look and understood that the numbers describe the *position* of the respective button/knob on the Mackie (column + row).

So my last table just left out all those numbers, the rest can be read from the Mackie tables and be applied correspondingly to what I listed for the Mute buttons. Effectively you are kind of "emulating" Mackie control. But then again it's just a bunch of MIDI notes and CCs anyway, not even SYSEX.
Old 5th January 2012
  #46
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Very helpful thread; thanx guys!

How about to control the FX section with midi for the UFX?
Anyone?

Old 5th January 2012
  #47
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
Very helpful thread; thanx guys!

How about to control the FX section with midi for the UFX?
Anyone?

Not currently possible, unfortunately.
Old 6th January 2012
  #48
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarymilton View Post
can't answer your question, but would just like to take the opportunity to vent about the Totalmix manual. It's one of the least user-friendly, poorly translated and badly written pieces of technical writing it has ever been my misfortune to have to rely on.
Apparently the German version is perfectly clear.... *sigh*

I actually wound up ignoring the manual and set mine up by the Irish Minesweeper method.
Prod around and hope nothing goes bang.

Sorry for the USA I suppose that should be the Polack version.

(Irish version: 'a Kerry man')

P.S. Has anyone on here managed to decipher what the factory settings for the eight presets are ACTUALLY supposed to do?
Old 8th January 2012
  #49
Gear Addict
 
isma's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
Not currently possible, unfortunately.
It's a shame, i wanted to turn my midi controler into a "digital mixer" in standalone mode, maybe next year!
Thanx for your answer anyway
Old 20th January 2012
  #50
Here for the gear
 

I want to thank you guys for all the information here about the MIDI controls. It has helped me out a lot. Does anybody know if there is a way to interface the matrix via midi, or does that have to be done with the mouse?
Old 21st January 2012
  #51
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
The matrix is basically just another way to view the individual channel controls, because each channel can have multiple outputs the matrix makes it easier to see this in one go. Ie, to 'control the matrix' you'd simply control the individual output levels per channel.
Old 31st January 2012
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Okay, so if i want to send software playback channel 1 to analog output 3 at full what midi message/series of midi messages do i need to send.

To do this in the application, submix must be turned on and i would need to click on output fader 3 then adjust the level of playback channel 1.

Is there some type of fader_touch message that will change the submix i am mixing into?

Thanks in advance
Old 31st January 2012
  #53
Here for the gear
 

Just Figured it out. I must first send the channel select command.

For the example I provided, to select the submix going to fader outputs 3+4 I would need to send channel 1, NOTE_ON, D1, 127.
Old 6th September 2012
  #54
Gear Head
 

Hi guys,

just found this discussion while googling for any clue about MIDI Control for TotalMix.

I recently bought Korg NanoKontrol 2. As you may know, this version of NanoKontrol has Mackie Control emulation implemented.

It works flawless, if I try it with Nuendo (added under /Devices as Mackie Control).

But it works with steady errors and strange behavior (voluntary "grouping" faders, moving them with different speeds etc) when I apply it to TotalMix. And I do read the manual, I have all necessary checked in TotalMix settings. But what I don't have is proper function.

I spent hours to solve it but without any success.

So I'd like to hear if anyone has used / tried the duo NanoKontrol 2 / TotalMix and it worked as it should?

What I did additionally: of course I tried to send "straight" CC messages (skipping the Mackie Emulation) as described in RME's manual and this thread as well: channel 1, CC 102 etc. No action at all.

I tried it with my new V-Meter (touch-strip Controller). No action at all.

But it works perfect when I apply it to Nuendo's Quick-Control, when I apply it to NI Reaktor's Ensembles (via MIDI-Learn, for instance).

I just don't get it. Is there something wrong with me or with TotalMix + MIDI?

I would be happy about any idea.

cheers

Girts
Old 12th January 2016
  #55
Here for the gear
 

Rme totalmix midi control

RME TOTALMIX MIDI CONTROL (MIDI CHANNEL, CC, FUNCTION)


CH1 CC 7 - MONITOR MAIN VOL



CH1 CC 16 - IN 1 PAN
CH1 CC 17 - IN 2 PAN
CH1 CC 18 - IN 3 PAN
CH1 CC 19 - IN 4 PAN
CH1 CC 20 - IN 5 PAN
CH1 cc 21 - IN 6 PAN
CH1 CC 22 - IN 7 PAN
CH1 CC 23 - IN 8 PAN

CH1 CC 102 - IN 1 VOL
CH1 CC 103 - IN 2 VOL
CH1 CC 104 - IN 3 VOL
CH1 CC 105 - IN 4 VOL
CH1 CC 106 - IN 5 VOL
CH1 CC 107 - IN 6 VOL
CH1 CC 108 - IN 7 VOL
CH1 CC 109 - IN 8 VOL
CH1 CC 110 - IN 9 VOL
CH1 CC 111 - IN 10 VOL
CH1 CC 112 - IN 11 VOL
CH1 CC 113 - IN 12 VOL
CH1 CC 114 - IN 13 VOL
CH1 CC 115 - IN 14 VOL
CH1 CC 116 - IN 15 VOL
CH1 CC 117 - IN 16 VOL

CH2 CC 102 - IN 17 VOL
CH2 CC 103 - IN 18 VOL

CH5 CC 102 - OUT 1 VOL
CH5 CC 103 - OUT 2 VOL
CH5 CC 104 - OUT 3 VOL
CH5 CC 105 - OUT 4 VOL
CH5 CC 106 - OUT 5 VOL
CH5 CC 107 - OUT 6 VOL
CH5 CC 108 - OUT 7 VOL
CH5 CC 109 - OUT 8 VOL
CH5 CC 110 - OUT 9 VOL
CH5 CC 111 - OUT 10 VOL
CH5 CC 112 - OUT 11 VOL
CH5 CC 113 - OUT 12 VOL
CH5 CC 114 - OUT 13 VOL
CH5 CC 115 - OUT 14 VOL
CH5 CC 116 - OUT 15 VOL
CH5 CC 117 - OUT 16 VOL

CH6 CC 102 - OUT 17 VOL
CH6 CC 103 - OUT 18 VOL

CH9 CC 102 - AN 1 VOL
CH9 CC 103 - AN 2 VOL
CH9 CC 104 - AN 3 VOL
CH9 CC 105 - AN 4 VOL
CH9 CC 106 - AN 5 VOL
CH9 CC 107 - AN 6 VOL
CH9 CC 108 - AN 7 VOL
CH9 CC 109 - AN 8 VOL
CH9 CC 110 - SP L VOL
CH9 CC 111 - SP R VOL
CH9 CC 112 - A 1 VOL
CH9 CC 113 - A 2 VOL
CH9 CC 114 - A 3 VOL
CH9 CC 115 - A 4 VOL
CH9 CC 116 - A 5 VOL
CH9 CC 117 - A 6 VOL

CH10 CC 102 - A 7 VOL
CH10 CC 103 - A 8 VOL
CH10 CC 104 - PH L VOL
CH10 CC 105 - PH R VOL
Old 15th January 2018
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

is it possible to control the width of a channel via midi ?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump