The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
OMG - has anyone else bought the Neve Plug-ins from Steinberg? Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th August 2011
Gear interested

OMG - has anyone else bought the Neve Plug-ins from Steinberg?

Love the 5033 EQ of course but it's the Portico 5043 Compressor that is magical! The bundle isn't cheap at just under 800 large but damn, these sound inspiring to me in a way I haven't felt since the last time I was mixing with a really nice Urei 1176 in a studio back in the late '90s...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...nu/yinyang.gif
Old 5th March 2012
bee
Lives for gear

Sounds like these aren't very popular, probably due to price.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesboy View Post
Love the 5033 EQ of course but it's the Portico 5043 Compressor that is magical! The bundle isn't cheap at just under 800 large but damn, these sound inspiring to me...
so one dollar = "One Large"?
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Check this out: DDMF 6144

Good less expensive alternative for the EQ at least.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I am not surprised. The price is very high for someone to actually consider buying these plugins . I have an elicenser but the price puts me off even to demo them. I think they should be more realistic before pricing two plugins for this amount of money. They would definitely make more sales.
And in my opinion, Steinberg should include them into Cubase 7. It would be a very good strategic marketing move.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom View Post
I am not surprised. The price is very high for someone to actually consider buying these plugins . I have an elicenser but the price puts me off even to demo them. I think they should be more realistic before pricing two plugins for this amount of money. They would definitely make more sales.
And in my opinion, Steinberg should include them into Cubase 7. It would be a very good strategic marketing move.
Or at least in Nuendo - to justify the price difference towards Cubase some more...
Old 5th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Steinberg should include them into Cubase 7. It would be a very good strategic marketing move.
And lets face it,.. Strategic marketing is what Steinbergs all about these days

Whilst it would be nice to see C7 moving in this direction. It seems to me their cards, in this respect, are already on the table. What with the release of the Yamaha Vintage Plug ins series, sold as separate sets. It would seem they aren't intending to give away much with respect to even half good plugins. If they were to add these to C7 now, it simply wouldn't be fair on those who had already bought them. And this would be even more true of the RND ones.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

Anything from Steinberg is a short term investment. You can go on about how much you hate Waves, but at least they have always had an upgrade option so you can keep using your favorite plugins. Steinberg does not. Steinberg doesn't even support their hardware for more than a few years.

That said, I do really like Nuendo, and they do support Cubase and Nuendo. It's just the other stuff that I would avoid.

~Jay
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Nut

i bought this bundle, and sold my hardware 5043. easy decision. yes i do agree the plugs are a bit overpriced, and i'm sure they'd sell way more if they brought them down a bit. its a shame for steinberg really, because the high price has over-shadowed the fact that these plugs are incredible.
Old 5th March 2012

They haven't been very popular at all... and I think it's because the price is out of line with the rest of the plugin world.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
They haven't been very popular at all... and I think it's because the price is out of line with the rest of the plugin world.
Exactly. No matter how good a product is, you have to make sure that you are keeping it sensible comparing to the competition.

I think it would be much better if they priced the plugins £300 for both of them. The sales would make up for the price no question about that. So what if you have a £800 plugin bundle and you sell 50 copies of them? If the price was sensible the word would spread around on how great the plugins are.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

These plugins are nothing special, except the price is quite "special".

But this just shows that Steinberg lives in fantasy world, just like with their new 6.5 paid update.
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
so one dollar = "One Large"?
Hahaha well, in this economy, I guess
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
These plugins are nothing special, except the price is quite "special".

But this just shows that Steinberg lives in fantasy world, just like with their new 6.5 paid update.
It has nothing to do with Steinberg, whatsoever.

Rupert Neve Designs is the culprit. They do not want to "give away" their plugins. There is a licensing agreement between Steinberg & RND and Steinberg can't move the price without consent from RND, which to date, they haven't given.

Please, give it a rest with all of these Steinberg "conspiracies". Furthermore, they're owned by Yamaha and haven't been a standalone company in more than a decade.
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:

THat's very true. I didn't even bother demoing them because of the price. What I don't know about I will not miss being the theory. :-)

But, I agree licensing the "Rupert Neve" name is probably why they are so expensive.
Old 6th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post

But, I agree licensing the "Rupert Neve" name is probably why they are so expensive.

Even so, if no ones buying it, the extent to which they value this product is simply wrong. And if they want to make money on it, It would make more sense to sell it at a rate most of their customers could afford.
Old 9th March 2012
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder View Post
Even so, if no ones buying it, the extent to which they value this product is simply wrong. And if they want to make money on it, It would make more sense to sell it at a rate most of their customers could afford.
I totally agree...here's to hoping they come to their senses.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

Waaaaay too expensive for me to even bother checking them out. Let me know when you've lowered the price a LOT, Steinies.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

I bought the bundle for $651 and have never regretted the decision. My go-to eq for almost anything, Don't get me wrong they ARE expensive but I've tried the DDMF and have the PQ33 and when you have a bunch of tracks they simply stack better and feel wider/deeper. These along with the UAD Manley Massive Passive, FATSO, Studer, ATR-102, SPL Passeq, Slate VCC and a few others give me the feel of hardware in a way that 5 years ago I really would not have believed possible. So much so that for mixing at least I don't use any hardware anymore. I look at it like this, to get the same results from hardware I'd have to spend an insane amount of money and deal with everything from the maintenance of all the stuff mentioned and the associated electric bill among a thousand other problems for not a huge ( and I really wonder about this because until 5 years ago I did everything with hardware ) improvement in the final result. A single channel of this eq costs $1,750 and you get ONE. This gives you unlimited copies for +/-$325 and sounds so close as to not matter. In that context it's a steal
Old 9th March 2012
Gear maniac

Its still just software though. If i were to spend that money on Waves or UAD I'd get a whole lot for the price of these. These RND might be impressive (I mean they'd need to be), but there not even in the same ball park as even the most expensive of competitors.

I wonder if they are actually making money on them??
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder View Post
Its still just software though. If i were to spend that money on Waves or UAD I'd get a whole lot for the price of these. These RND might be impressive (I mean they'd need to be), but there not even in the same ball park as even the most expensive of competitors.

I wonder if they are actually making money on them??
I really don't think of this in terms of Software vs Hardware, it's more along the lines of, is this tool doing what I need? How easily is it doing this? And it does what I need it to effortlessly like a great tool should. Are they making money? I really don't know but I hope so because this level of quality makes my work a much more pleasant experience and I would hate to loose out on what these people might do next. Ultimately it all really depends on if you are happy with your tools. These got me much happier very quickly. BTW the compressor is just stupid good and great at holding something in a mix without calling attention to itself yet not sounding lifeless.
Cool stuff
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Insane. The justification for this kind of sky is the limit pricing is that, well, the hardware is expensive. Consider what you can buy for this kind of coin. My wife and I bought a nice, new refrigerator for 1/2 the price of these plugs.

A spanking new crystal clear mondo sized flat screen LED TV, or a new refrigerator + Sony Oxford EQ (nothing to sneeze at), or these RND plugs.
Some folks have better drugs than I do - or maybe I live on another planet; Yup, that must be it. Nuts, simply nuts.
Cdlt
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesboy View Post
Love the 5033 EQ of course but it's the Portico 5043 Compressor that is magical! The bundle isn't cheap at just under 800 large but damn, these sound inspiring to me in a way I haven't felt since the last time I was mixing with a really nice Urei 1176 in a studio back in the late '90s...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/image...nu/yinyang.gif
Steinberg RND Portico | Audio
Product Review - Steinberg RND Portico

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/VST..._Manual_en.pdf

for the price, purchasing the 500 is much better.
"5:46 i cant tell any difference between the two" -Rupert Neve
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Way over the top price wise....just wish i never bought the hardware really...just unreliable...crap pots and switches....metering is in a compromise..
sounds good INSPITE of this...but a bit of a turn off....
i bought the EQ and the comp so thats pricey...
Old 11th March 2012
Gear maniac

Im with you on that. Never tried them or nothing but im sure they sound like a dream. But they dont half look like cheap rubbish. Like little toys or something. Something like that should look bad ass. you want a Ferrari or a Porshe to control, not a Mini.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
True , + i don't even coniseder another dongle to add to my ilok ....when i choose ilok it was a real thinked move ...now i stick with easy licencsing or iloked ...adios steinberg , arturia ect ....
Old 11th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
These along with the UAD Manley Massive Passive, FATSO, Studer, ATR-102, SPL Passeq, Slate VCC and a few others give me the feel of hardware in a way that 5 years ago I really would not have believed possible. So much so that for mixing at least I don't use any hardware anymore.

Everything aside,... I find this really inspiring. Its kinda how ive always imagined the future of software would be, and here (according to this) it is. I know theres always been this big thing about hardware vs software, but im on the side of software well and truly. Its pretty damn good now. But the DAWs and plug ins of tomorrow will truly replace hardware once and for all. This for me is a real beacon of light as to what's just round the corner. Its really nice to read of someone experiencing a plug in and speaking of it so highly whilst considering hardware alternatives. I know Ive been pretty hung up about the price throughout this thread,.. but that aside, im impressed by what ive heard here and it makes me wonder (in a very positive way) about the future.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

By the way what surprises me is that the portico line is good but nothing like THE thing to have , there's a lot of hardware that are way before on my list .....and some of them have been very accuratly modeled ..already in plugin ....so my question is are you guyz thinking that the portico plugins sounds better than the hardware ? if not why this plugin should be better than emulations of better hardware contrepart ?
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
By the way what surprises me is that the portico line is good but nothing like THE thing to have , there's a lot of hardware that are way before on my list .....and some of them have been very accuratly modeled ..already in plugin ....so my question is are you guyz thinking that the portico plugins sounds better than the hardware ? if not why this plugin should be better than emulations of better hardware contrepart ?
I don't think it sounds better but I do feel it sounds LIKE the hardware. If you don't like the original piece, then the plug will be underwhelming to you. For the record I've found that this guy's strength lies in acoustic stuff and vocals. For electronica ( my own project ) it's not aggressive enough, a little too smooth if you want something really ballsy. But for stuff that you want very detailed or delicate without any harshness, few things can sound as good. I CAN do pretty much anything but I really feel that this is were it shines best.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

if they were closer to 200 each...i would have them by now and be singing a different tune....i'd also be able to compare the hardware to the software as i would have bought both as i am that keen to know a bit of Neve. (i already did the hard work buying the hardware e.q and comp and also paying for the associated power supply crap out repairs..yes...i did that...in fact the eq i have here is the Demo unit from the shop as I NEVER GOT MY ONE BACK FROM SERVICE WHEN ONE OF THE BANDS CRAPPED OUT) and should qualify for a huge reduction for the plugin versions...THAT would be fair)
come on Rupert...drop the stupid price and take MY money...you know you want to!!!
make my day!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search