The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you on 64 bit yet?
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Are you on 64 bit yet?

I am on a quadcore PC at 2.4 ghz and 4 GB Ram. Everything is running great, but I'm still running 32 applications. I was wondering the benefits of running everything in 64 bit? Do I have access to more RAM? I was interested in buying a PC desktop that has 8 GB of RAM or 12 GB of RAM. Theirs a guy who can sell me a PC desktop for around 800-an i7 and 12 GB RAM. Eventually I would like to have a full blow Mac/Pro Tools set-up, but its just a PC for now. My main DAW is Sonar (don't really like that much anymore), and FL Studio. I also sequence in Maschine sometimes.

When running a DAW is 64 bit with 12 GB of RAM, will the 64 bit DAW use all of the 12 GB of RAM? Will performance increase using more RAM?Your personal set-up and experiences using on a 64 bit system is appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

To run 32-bit software in 64-bit operating environment, you may need a 64-bit emulation to run the 32-bit soft within, and depending on unpredictable conditions you may experience performance degradation doing so. I suggest you make sure all your software needs are certified 64-bit before making the jump. And such a jump today means you'll be confined to a limited amount of software.

32-bit architechture limits the RAM usage to 3,26 gb RAM for each application. But with 64-bit, yes, each application can use tons more RAM - whatever RAM is left after the amount the operating system uses (which is usually 300-800 mb).
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search