The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 29th June 2020
Here for the gear

what do you mean apples and oranges? I dont know if i actually need a zen tour? i mean i mostly use emulations in the daw for guitar tracking like neural dsp
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Head

Some people reported problem with UAC-2/UAC-8 when used in a non-Intel Chipset. Cannot tell anything about it as I do have Intel machines. Just be aware of it. The specs also states Intel compatibility.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briandress View Post
what do you mean apples and oranges? I dont know if i actually need a zen tour? i mean i mostly use emulations in the daw for guitar tracking like neural dsp
Q2 is no frills, plug it in and use your DAW, the end. Zentour has great emulations in it that you can mix through as well. i bought my antelope primarily for the hardware-based fx since they are much cheaper than apollo and arguably sound better. hard to beat the quality of an antelope especially for the price but they tend to be a bit eccentric and less reliable.
Old 29th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehognrown View Post
Q2 is no frills, plug it in and use your DAW, the end. Zentour has great emulations in it that you can mix through as well. i bought my antelope primarily for the hardware-based fx since they are much cheaper than apollo and arguably sound better. hard to beat the quality of an antelope especially for the price but they tend to be a bit eccentric and less reliable.
do you think it is worth waiting to see if presonus is bringing out a new desktop form factor tb interface? The quantum 2 seems to be everything i need.
Old 29th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
do you think it is worth waiting to see if presonus is bringing out a new desktop form factor tb interface? The quantum 2 seems to be everything i need.
if it's everything you need why wait on something you don't know will ever arrive? just because you buy one doesn't mean you can't buy the other down the road. reverb.com is a hell of a drug.

what are your other options? anything else catch your eye? i'm working atm and can't go reading back but if you can list them, and what you like about them in one spot...?
Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
if it's everything you need why wait on something you don't know will ever arrive? just because you buy one doesn't mean you can't buy the other down the road. reverb.com is a hell of a drug.

what are your other options? anything else catch your eye? i'm working atm and can't go reading back but if you can list them, and what you like about them in one spot...?
so its just about getting the best di for guitar tracking at the lowest latency/performnce figures. Ive read about guys getting better latency figures with helix native and the quantum 2 than the actual helix unit itself. Id rather not buy usb2 if thunderbolt is within my grasp. I want to use the plugins i have when playing out as well so a laptop with thunderbolt 3 is in my future like maybe the acer swift or something similar. For me i like the small form factor interfaces because i am mobile sometimes and id like to take it with me. I like the idea of an expandable interface if i ever record in the future like drums for the band or something like that. atm its a non issue. I track guitar and thats it. i dont think i need on board dsp, i use all plgins in the daw.

i like the look of the arrow and the zentour is beautiful. the quantum 2 is tolerble. the new motu m series devices look nice but i hear they arent as good as others. i guess im still "shopping around" but would like to limit my options to the best performing ones in a say under 600 budget?
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
so its just about getting the best di for guitar tracking at the lowest latency/performnce figures. Ive read about guys getting better latency figures with helix native and the quantum 2 than the actual helix unit itself. Id rather not buy usb2 if thunderbolt is within my grasp. I want to use the plugins i have when playing out as well so a laptop with thunderbolt 3 is in my future like maybe the acer swift or something similar. For me i like the small form factor interfaces because i am mobile sometimes and id like to take it with me. I like the idea of an expandable interface if i ever record in the future like drums for the band or something like that. atm its a non issue. I track guitar and thats it. i dont think i need on board dsp, i use all plgins in the daw.

i like the look of the arrow and the zentour is beautiful. the quantum 2 is tolerble. the new motu m series devices look nice but i hear they arent as good as others. i guess im still "shopping around" but would like to limit my options to the best performing ones in a say under 600 budget?
i would say the arrow and the the zentour were both moreso made with guitarists in mind. you can plug into the quantum just fine but it doesn't have a DI in it per se. if the DI is important to you in a no-frills inexpensive unit with a small footprint i'd say an audient might be in your future. the DI on my audient smashes everything else i have for that. and i had the Q2 on my pedalboard for at least a year.

have you looked at the sono? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
Old 30th June 2020
Here for the gear

@ Briandress are you in the UK? If so I have an 'as new' Quantum 2, boxed, never registered on PreSonus IIRC. I needed more inputs and rack mount so upgraded to the 1U Quantum. PM if interested
Old 1st July 2020
Here for the gear

Are there any Windows USB interfaces that have good latency and sound really good for music playback? My RME Babyface Pro is solid, but I prefer the sound of something like the RME ADI-2 Pro and would rather not spend that kind of money just for the playback sound. A $2k unit that does everything might be within reach.

Maybe the Apogee Symphony Desktop when that comes out? How have their drivers been with Windows lately?
Old 1st July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullo View Post
Some people reported problem with UAC-2/UAC-8 when used in a non-Intel Chipset. Cannot tell anything about it as I do have Intel machines. Just be aware of it. The specs also states Intel compatibility.
It's said to do with the usb ports. The usb ports on my amd motherboard didn't work, but the ports on my PC case did. I tried a USB - pcie extension card, but that didn't work . Still good enough with the case USB ports I assume they would work as well as the board usb ports?
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJackson View Post
It's said to do with the usb ports. The usb ports on my amd motherboard didn't work, but the ports on my PC case did. I tried a USB - pcie extension card, but that didn't work . Still good enough with the case USB ports I assume they would work as well as the board usb ports?
That is weird because your case ports would still be using the same controller that is used for the mobo ports.
Old 1st July 2020
Guys, this thread is about latency and performance. Please keep other topics like sound quality and feature sets for other threads.
Old 2nd July 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbad View Post
Are there any Windows USB interfaces that have good latency and sound really good for music playback? My RME Babyface Pro is solid, but I prefer the sound of something like the RME ADI-2 Pro and would rather not spend that kind of money just for the playback sound. A $2k unit that does everything might be within reach.

Maybe the Apogee Symphony Desktop when that comes out? How have their drivers been with Windows lately?
I'm in the same situation like you. Have the BFP and was advised for a high end DAC from RME member to go with the ADI 2 DAC FS via ADAT from BFP. DONE.
Old 6th July 2020
Lives for gear

Question:

The original Lynx Aurora 8 or 16 with the LT-TB Card (Thunderbolt... 1? 2?)... any reason that wouldn't work with a 2019 Mac Mini with TB3 ports? Is the original Aurora still viable in 2020 as an interface (and not just as a converter over AES/ADAT or something)?

Thanks gang, it still gets insane high marks on this thread. Currently using an RME Digiface USB, which I was told earlier in this thread is similar spec'd to the Babyface Pro. So wondering if an Aurora 16 w/ LT-TB card would be an improvement for LLP.

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Thanks gang, it still gets insane high marks on this thread. Currently using an RME Digiface USB, which I was told earlier in this thread is similar spec'd to the Babyface Pro. So wondering if an Aurora 16 w/ LT-TB card would be an improvement for LLP.

Thanks!
I have tested and posted the results on an Aurora with the LT-TB Card , you can directly compare against the RME USB results.

Checkout the charts on the first post of this thread, where I have updated the latest results.

Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

Hey All,

A little cheeky I know as I have already posted in the dedicated thread, but thought I'd repeat the info here as some of you may not frequent the other thread.

Quick heads up that the new DAWbench Radio Show episode is now uploaded.

DAWbench Radio Show.

Episode 05 : The Art of Orchestral Sampling : Audio Bro โ€“ LASS and Beyond !

Podcast Home Page : Here

Spotify : Here

I am joined by guest co-host Erin McKimm, and special guest Andrew Keresztes, the founder and lead developer at Audio Bro

We cover Andrews early foray into DAW benchmarking, which was the catalyst for me heading down the rabbit warren with DAWbench, cover his personal history and career as a professional film/TV composer and what motivated him to become a sample library developer.

We also dive under the bonnet of Kontakt to explore why it remains one of the most popular sample engine platforms for developers and explore the dynamics of the evolving and expanding area of cloud content delivery.

We also cover some curves navigated transitioning from Cubendo to Reaper, and successfully using it as a Professional audio and compositional environment.

There is also some great insight and advice for young and/or up and coming composers regards navigating the zoo of getting their foot in the door, and much more.

Enjoy, and please give me some feedback.

All Podcasts will also be available on iTunes this week.

Old 15th July 2020
Here for the gear

ANy Suggestion for A Budget Audio Interface mainly For Orchestral Programming and Single Mic Input.......
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicstation.xs View Post
ANy Suggestion for A Budget Audio Interface mainly For Orchestral Programming and Single Mic Input.......
no better value in the market than audient.
Old 17th July 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
no better value in the market than audient.
How is UR 44C?
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
I have tested and posted the results on an Aurora with the LT-TB Card , you can directly compare against the RME USB results.

Checkout the charts on the first post of this thread, where I have updated the latest results.

Thanks, TAFKAT, as always. I see the LT-TB card (TB2) gets an exceptionally high grade in your test. I'm curious about the USB card, has that ever been tested? They come up on the used market more regularly than the TB.

Also, the Lynx Aurora's have digital AES in/out, even without any expandable card. Is there an interface or some option similar to the RME Digiface USB but for AES instead of ADAT? Aware of the MADIface for MADI but havent had much experience with AES and not familiar with potentially older, deep-cut products.

Thanks everyone!
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Thanks, TAFKAT, as always. I see the LT-TB card (TB2) gets an exceptionally high grade in your test. I'm curious about the USB card, has that ever been tested? They come up on the used market more regularly than the TB.

Also, the Lynx Aurora's have digital AES in/out, even without any expandable card. Is there an interface or some option similar to the RME Digiface USB but for AES instead of ADAT? Aware of the MADIface for MADI but havent had much experience with AES and not familiar with potentially older, deep-cut products.

Thanks everyone!
You would use a Lynx AES16e for an Aroura but RME also has a HDSPe AES card
that will work. If you can find a Lynx LT-MADI card for the Aroura then you would
use an MADI card in your PC if you want like an RME HDSPe MADI. I have an LT-MADI
in my Aroura but plan on using it for AVB monitor netorking for now. I have an
LT-firewire if your interested.
Old 17th July 2020
Lives for gear

throbert just beat me to the punch.

I have configured system with both the Lynx AES and the RME, I prefer the RME to be honest as I found that to be a little more robust and consistent.

Just be aware when using the RME HDSPe cards that there needs to be a specific cable or adapter to go between Yamaha/Tascam AES protocols. I can't remember which used which, but I do know that RME and Lynx used different protocols.

Cables /Adapter readily available.

Re Lynx LT-USB, hmmm, I would simply say NO !

Old 18th July 2020
Lives for gear

Pin Outs

Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base-lynx-rme-pin-outs.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base-lynx-rme-pin-outs.jpg  

Last edited by throbert; 18th July 2020 at 03:11 AM..
Old 4th August 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Hey All,

A little cheeky I know as I have already posted in the dedicated thread, but thought I'd repeat the info here as some of you may not frequent the other thread.

Quick heads up that the new DAWbench Radio Show episode is now uploaded.

DAWbench Radio Show.

Episode 05 : The Art of Orchestral Sampling : Audio Bro โ€“ LASS and Beyond !

Podcast Home Page : Here

Spotify : Here

I am joined by guest co-host Erin McKimm, and special guest Andrew Keresztes, the founder and lead developer at Audio Bro

We cover Andrews early foray into DAW benchmarking, which was the catalyst for me heading down the rabbit warren with DAWbench, cover his personal history and career as a professional film/TV composer and what motivated him to become a sample library developer.

We also dive under the bonnet of Kontakt to explore why it remains one of the most popular sample engine platforms for developers and explore the dynamics of the evolving and expanding area of cloud content delivery.

We also cover some curves navigated transitioning from Cubendo to Reaper, and successfully using it as a Professional audio and compositional environment.

There is also some great insight and advice for young and/or up and coming composers regards navigating the zoo of getting their foot in the door, and much more.

Enjoy, and please give me some feedback.

All Podcasts will also be available on iTunes this week.

Very interesting. I laughed at that german RME guy. 2 funny. Same stupid geeky jokes as I would make haha!
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Stoked to receive my recently purchased RME HDSPe RayDat. Now, I just need to pair it with a sweet converter. I only need two channels of AD/DA and latency is the primary priority; I strongly believe in monitoring after the DAW. Cost isn't a major concern, but I ain't got Weiss money. Any recommendations? Appreciate it.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
Stoked to receive my recently purchased RME HDSPe RayDat. Now, I just need to pair it with a sweet converter. I only need two channels of AD/DA and latency is the primary priority; I strongly believe in monitoring after the DAW. Cost isn't a major concern, but I ain't got Weiss money. Any recommendations? Appreciate it.
Tascam UH-7000, use it with the AES ports.

That was my vague plan, if I ever get the RAYDAT.
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by camacozie View Post
Hunt used listings. All the Dangerous DAs and Lavry Blacks are awesome. The Tascams are good too, especially the 3000. You can also use Lynx Hilo or ADI 2 Pro over AES.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
Interested to see latency tests on the newly released USB3 UAD Apollo Solo, wondering if they actually put some effort into these drivers as the old USB Apollos did not perform well.
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Very keen to hear if there's any results on the PreSonus Series III mixers :

StudioLive III 32S
StudioLive III 32SX

Also if taking AVB from the SW5E switch would be better. IIRC AVB is classed as having 2ms latency maximum, so longs as under 7 hops and <100m.

I'm trying to give some help on equipment suggestions for a new semi-professional project studio based around PreSonus / AVB gear.

Any input welcome!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Hello. I'm having a difficult time finding latency values for some converters (w/o interfaces).

I've been researching 2ch ADCs & 2ch DACs - I'm purely interested in 192kHz Toslink units. While attempting to narrow down a list, I've been trying to find RTL latency values. RME publishes them, but some of these other manufacturers say absolutely nothing about it on a website or in a user manual. To be clear, these are expensive units.

What am I missing? Why mention every stat under the sun but avoid latency values? Is it just a matter of "It's fast enough for you dummy - forget-aboouud-iiiiiit!" ? Or should I be leery of any company that refuses to bring it up?
๐Ÿ“ Reply