This is an update for Windows and OSX.
Compatible with:
* OS 10.6 Snow Leopard
* OS 10.7 Lion
* Windows XP (32/64 bit)
* Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
This update includes:
• Driver updated to 4.0.0 release
• Improves performance on Windows 7 (x86/x64)
• Improves performance in Pro Tools 10 (Win and Mac)
• Updated available sample buffer sizes
• Sample buffer size now scales with sample rate (I.e. At 44.1 KHz a buffer size of 32 samples is used. Changing to 88.2 KHz increases buffer to 64 samples)
• No longer requires use of Windows legacy Firewire driver (Due to this, users who also use the Focusrite Liquid Mix are recommended to ensure that both products are run on separate FireWire buses. If this is not possible then users are recommended to continue using Saffire Mix Control 2.4)
Known Issues:
• Ableton Live users on OSX are recommended to restart Live after a Buffer Size change

Downloads | Focusrite

Anyone have experience with the 4.0 driver, does it perform better?
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Saffire Pro24 unit here , just need some clear air and I'll run up some numbers and post results this week.

From the details posted its identical to the driver being used by Presonus.

@ Timur/Goddard,

This increase of MMCSS utilisation in drivers is going to be one to watch.

I am not overly concerned about Echo using it to be honest , as it will not effect me or my immediate clients, but thats a whole other thread... :-)

Old 28th October 2012
Gear Head

Just stumbled over this thread last night, and i must say i'm impressed with the work you've put into this. Outstanding TAFKAT The DAW community thanks you
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Maniac

While this test is fairly informative, I think we would all be better served actually meeting up and trying all the different combinations of gear to determine true latency figures. For example, I'm sure the same interface through a different laptop will have a slightly different latency just due to the architecture of the device.
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Maniac

Might I redirect you to the best post in Gearslutz history...

STICKY? It's the COMBINATIONS that make the signal chain
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dunnet View Post
While this test is fairly informative, I think we would all be better served actually meeting up and trying all the different combinations of gear to determine true latency figures. For example, I'm sure the same interface through a different laptop will have a slightly different latency just due to the architecture of the device.
Sorry Mate, you've lost me.

What do you mean by true latency figures ?

The I/O and RTL latency figures will not alter no matter what system its connected to , the I/O and RTL are set by a combination of the driver and AD/DA , that can't be changed by the host computer platform.

Old 1st November 2012
Gear Addict

Can you please test the EMU 1616m?

Thanks
Old 5th November 2012
Lives for gear

Response redundant as related post deleted.

Last edited by TAFKAT; 8th November 2012 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Response redundant as related post deleted.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

Pipe down there. Your jumping to conclusions based on what some guy said that some phone support rep from Presonus told him?

Clearly there is some miscommunication between him and the rep. He is talking about new firmware where TAFKAT is talking about new drivers.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

There seems to be a misunderstanding due to the wording of one of those posts on the Presonus forums. He was told that only certain hardware (the StudioLive series) received "VSL" (Virtual StudioLive) updates. That has nothing to do with the device driver (or this test).

These are the official release notes, sometimes it's a lot better to just read simple documentation than go by forum posts:

http://www.presonus.com/uploads/prod...seNotes_EN.pdf

The Universal Control 1.6 update includes drivers and control panels for the following products:

FireStudio Mobile™ (Launch Window, Device Mixer, Driver)
FireStudio Project™ (Launch Window, Device Mixer, Driver)
FireStudio Tube™ (Launch Window, Device Mixer, Driver)
FireStudio Lightpipe™ (Launch Window, Device Mixer, Driver)
StudioLive™ 16.0.2 (Launch Window, Virtual StudioLive, Driver)
StudioLive 16.4.2 (Launch Window, Virtual StudioLive, Driver)
StudioLive 24.4.2 (Launch Window, Virtual StudioLive, Driver)

Note: Universal Control 1.6 updates VSL for StudioLive-series mixers only

The culprit in red.

As far as I can tell, the drivers are new, and they're the same as the new Focusrite drivers (still waiting on TAFKAT's updated Focusrite benchmarks ).
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by TAFKAT; 8th November 2012 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Response redundant as related post deleted.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by TAFKAT; 8th November 2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Response redundant as related post deleted.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

Never mind. It's your prerogative if you want to be suspicious and make up theories. Better to get back on topic now.
Old 6th November 2012
Gear Addict

soo..

can we get an emu 1616m tested, i bet it will be on the top 5.
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
Better to get back on topic now.
+1

I am not going to engaging any further, its obvious there are comprehension issues at play here , I would suggest others reading in to do the same.

Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

lol, TAFKAT, your avatar happens to fit perfectly for the back-n-forth of the confused poster.

It's like a large >
Old 7th November 2012
Here for the gear

Awesome!

your work is amazing!

i would like to see a EMU 1616m pcie in the list there sometime if possible.

thanks though for what you have done, it would be overwhelming to most people
Old 7th November 2012
all this is great info. im looking for an interface more like the saffire 2i2 or smaller interfaces. bought the saffire and it is super slow and unstable in MY SYSTEM. What USB interface...do u guys think is the best in terms of latency, stabilty and great pre's??
Old 7th November 2012
Textbook answer is "there is no BEST". But in this case, I say RME UFX/UCX.
Old 7th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
Textbook answer is "there is no BEST". But in this case, I say RME UFX/UCX.
all those RME interface's look very nice but i need a 2 no more than 4 input interface. Something that can be mobile.
Old 7th November 2012
Old 7th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hey Guys,

Looks like the clean up crew has been in overnight... :-)

Thanks Mods

I've cleared any of my own posts with left over quotes, Machoboy, could you do the same please, thanks... :-)

O.K, steering this back,

I have some results for the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 which I am trying to collate into something digestible as the buffer settings are in ms and some are not corresponding with the more standard settings , I also have a new ESI Julia XT PCIe card and as mentioned previously, a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 that I need to run thru some final numbers.

Just trying to get a clear breath as I am totally slammed with orders at the moment , but I'll try and get them done by weeks end.

Re the EMU 1616m unit, I looked into the drivers and there doesn't seem to be any drivers past Vista, which may still work but is not a good indication that EMU will support the card moving forward. If I get a chance to have access to one , I'll run some numbers but I don't have an option at the moment as the cards are EOL.

Old 8th November 2012
Gear Addict

Sure TAF, I cleaned up my responses and I'll just leave the one summarizing the miscommunication, which was addressed at no one in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folk View Post
all this is great info. im looking for an interface more like the saffire 2i2 or smaller interfaces. bought the saffire and it is super slow and unstable in MY SYSTEM. What USB interface...do u guys think is the best in terms of latency, stabilty and great pre's??
I just picked up an M-Audio C400 from Amazon for $100 (lowest price I've ever seen) and it's been excellent. Right now I'm preferring the slightly warmer preamps to those in my Saffire Pro 24 (but I'm sure that will change back and forth). I can't directly compare it to the 2i2 but the latency seems better than the 18i6 I previously owned. I posted a brief review in this subforum.

On the topic of the Pro 24, my last one stopped working and I just got the replacement. Downloaded the MixControl 3.01 with all the new stuff and it is MUCH more stable for me than I recall. It took me hours to get it to behave last time around and this time it was plug-and-play.

So I've gone from having one hellishly unreliable portable interface to two problem free portable interfaces
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hey All,

For those waiting on the Focusrite MixControl 3.0 / Driver V4.0 results I have finally got some clear air to run up the Saffire PRO 24 and I can confirm its Ground Hog Day... LOL

Version 4.0 TC Applied driver ( even lists it clearly as TC Applied on install ) , results were essentially identical to the Presonus Firestudio Mobile but tighter AD/DA which resulted in a lower RTL , so it bumped the LLP rating to 7.26.

Thats quite an impressive result , so another deserved golfclap to TC Applied and to Focusrite. Pity the drivers on the Focusrite USB units are still, hmmmmm, questionable... :-)

Old 10th November 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks very much for the confirmation, Vin!
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

Are the Echo Audiofire series really that bad in latency?
any users?
I have my eyes on the PRE8 but the above figures are disappointing,to say the least.
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Hey All,

Latest update now including the RME UCX results that had been posted separately and also added Presonus Firestudio with new V4.00 driver and some amendments.

Summary below the charts.

Additions :

RME Fireface UCX : As we have come to expect from RME, exceptional performance on both Firewire and USB2. Benchmark results slightly down on the UFX results which could be due to the variation in driver which I will investigate further when I have the opportunity. Lower I/O and RTL has resulted in a better overall LLP Rating.

Presonus Firestudio Mobile : This was a very pleasant surprise with the new V4 driver/firmware delivering performance measurably better than the 3.5.x driver that has been the norm across all of the Dice powered units from numerous manufacturers the last 12-18 months. Lower overall RTL and even a 032 setting that managed a result on the RXC test.

Only bettered in the rating by the RME FW/USB interfaces.

A huge thumbs up to Presonus/TC Applied , great improvement.

I know that Focusrite are using an updated driver, ( also numbered V4) but I am unable to confirm at the moment whether it is the identical driver showing the improvement with the Presonus units.

Amended :

Presonus Audiobox 44 VSL New driver that has removed the 032 setting that was essentialy window dressing anyway. Performance at the respective settings of 064-512 identical to the previous driver , however slightly higher measured RTL, indicating a few extra samples used in padding the buffers. Slight amendment to rating.

Removed :

SSL Nucleus. I have removed the unit from the results and rating. I have been trying to get confirmation of whether the reported I/O included the AD/DA and a measured RTL. I suspected that they were using some added padding and it would have been great to get the confirmation of the actual values. I have posted numerous polite requests to both the end users and the SSL reps , all which have been totally ignored. I have no idea why nor am I interested in pursuing it further. You guys can draw your own conclusions.

Hi,

Would it be possible to update this at some point with the v3.0 of the Focusrite Saffire MixControl drivers? Would like to know how the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 fares in this comparison.

Thanks
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'll update the graphs when I get a chance.

The Info is already posted a few posts back tho.

Results identical to the new Presonus driver ( it is the identical OEM driver from TC Applied after all ) , better LLP due to slightly tighter RTL.

BTW : Did you really have to post all the graphs in your quote ?

Peace
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Guru

Is there any chance of a test of the Avid HD|Native card in ASIO mode?

Alistair
Old 29th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Is there any chance of a test of the Avid HD|Native card in ASIO mode?

Alistair
Hey Alistair,

I did that very early on and reported , I held off investigating further due to some very odd buffering issues with the Input reporting double values / output was reporting nominal. I reported it to AVID but have never received a response, so I didn't bother following it thru. In short, results for the respective buffers 032-512 were actually quite good , but I really had no idea what buffers/latency we were actually dealing with.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search