The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Hi All!

I am looking into getting a new interface to get better latency performance.

I currently have Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 and can run a very large session (1800 midi instrumetns and about 40 audio channels with a load of plugins) at 512 samples buffer. Running on a i7 6950x at 4.3ghz stable. My latency at 512 samples in Cubase 10 is : 11.995 ms on input, 12.651 ms on output.

I am wondering... if I buy the new apollo x6, will i get better results with latency at 512 samples? And would I be able to push it down to 256 or is that on depends on CPU.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem bankin View Post
Mark Ambler, I am the same cynic as you, and by the nature of part of my work(system integration for mass media ,Radio ,TV .etc ) , I had to test and configure tons of audio interfaces in different scenarios , and I know very well how the "sweet" promises of many manufacturers work in practice, with lots of bugs and problems. In terms of driver stability, i trust only one company - RME ,and even they are far from ideal.
And modern IP audio systems - like Dante or Telos alliance Axia,Сobranet - is insane expensive and not as good in terms of RTL
Аnd in this regard i decided to participate in the development of a device that can break this situation in the market. I hope that we succeed.
Sounds promising! I hope you do a multi channel also! Something like 8x8 ad/da.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
What is this ipaudiopro?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

THIS

I started a new topic and post first test results ....
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...l#post13939062

Kimotei

Yes , next device will be 8/8 or 16/16 ...with digital options ....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem bankin View Post
I started a new topic and post first test results ....
I don't mind you sharing comparative results on this thread as well.

The wider discussion is better served over at the dedicated thread.

Looking forward to seeing more results.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Did the RME UFX II ever get tested? I honestly did a thread search but couldn't find results specific to that interface. I'm currently contemplating whether the plus or the II is worth the purchase. Will be using USB.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Has anyone tested apollo x6? I am still contemplating if i should upgrade to it from focusrite saffire pro 26. I got the thunderbolt 3 pcie card working on my pc so it should support the new apollo x6. After lots of reading i think i wi be using the unison preamp plugins with it, but still wondering if it really makes that big of a difference from my focusrite pro 26
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Blast View Post
Has anyone tested apollo x6? I am still contemplating if i should upgrade to it from focusrite saffire pro 26. I got the thunderbolt 3 pcie card working on my pc so it should support the new apollo x6. After lots of reading i think i wi be using the unison preamp plugins with it, but still wondering if it really makes that big of a difference from my focusrite pro 26
If I may ask, what is the Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card and what motherboard?

Saffire to Apollo X is going to be a massive, obvious difference in sound quality.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
If I may ask, what is the Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card and what motherboard?
Asrock Thunderbolt 3 pcie card into Asrock x99x Fatality Killer

The drivers are working in windows 10 and also tested a thunderbolt monitor which worked as well, so i assume apollo x6 won’t have any problem working with my system.
I waiting to see if there is going to be any special sale after the current one that ends on april 30th
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
where can we go to see the latest results besides just paging through this thread? thx
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
where can we go to see the latest results besides just paging through this thread? thx
There are charts and additional link to the last full list at the bottom of the first post.

Admittedly it doesn't have some of the last TB interfaces tested.

I will do my best to upload a current list later this week, just juggling a few other things at present which has kept me away from DAWbench.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So what is the top USB audio interface at this point for latency?
The Apollo Twin USB?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
The Apollo Twin USB?
Looks like the RME UFX+ in USB3 mode from what I remember. My question is how does the UFX2 compare since they both seem to use the same driver set (the RME MADI drivers) and converters. I'm looking for a USB interface and don't need MADI so if I could save $500 and get similar performance, great. But if the performance is considerably lower on the UFX2, then I'd suck it up and spend the extra money.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

For what it's worth, I think the RME drivers are just crazy fast full stop.

I have an RME ADI-2 DAC and I decided to test the Steinberg UR28M going to it via coax.

My actual round trip latency this way can be under 2.5ms at 48kHz without any dropouts etc running Bias Amp 2 and a couple other plugins with guitar.

That is about twice as fast as using the Steinberg drivers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckbad View Post
I have an RME ADI-2 DAC and I decided to test the Steinberg UR28M going to it via coax.
How much of the UR28M does it bypass this way?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
How much of the UR28M does it bypass this way?
Just the drivers. I expected it to work way less well than it does.

You still get the preamps, DSP, and analog to digital conversion. The RME ADI-2 DAC is in full duplex mode with coax S/PDIF as its input and USB as its output, and it works impressively well as a strange combo solution.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutMyEarOff View Post
I read on the focusrite site that cpu(mobo also?) is a major factor in latency. My scarlett wouldnt do less than 15ms 96/128 with 1 track(solid o.s. no dpc latency). Now with a new computer I can run 196/32 comfortably(3ms)(8 tracks+effects).
If you want to compare your two systems it is pointless to compare two systems at completely different settings. All you have discovered is that with your newer system you can run more tracks with more processing and at higher sampling rates and that higher sampling rates place greater demands on the system but reduce system latency. You have discovered absolutely nothing about comparable system latency between your two computers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
The Apollo Twin USB?
Just read the charts and decide which is best for you based off your budget. The RME Babyface pro is by far the best USB interface in terms of latency and stability.
Old 3 weeks ago
TBH, while respecting the good intention behind it, this is not the thread to discuss good motherboards or deals. It is about latency and performance of audio interfaces...
Old 3 weeks ago
Tafkat do you have any potential interfaces that you are going to test?
I'd like to see you test the latest Apogee duet for Windows, Mac ,and iPad. Also UAD arrow.
Anyone else want to contribute? Any interfaces you would like to see results for?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Dallon,

Its all been very quiet at my end to be honest.

I have the new Presonus Studio Interface on the list, but I am not expecting anything much in the way of improvement as they are still using the same Thesycon driver.

I don't have access to the Apogee and the UAD's are a challenge to get across the bench as well unfortunately.

If the manufacturers can get them to me I'll be more than happy to test them.

Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesch View Post
scope 5 ASIO with samplitude + protools hd 10 = no latency system
-vip buffer size 2048 SO 2048 IN SAMPLITUDE RECORDING OFFSET
-01V TRACK ASIO RECEIVE + 2048 SAMPLES DELAY
you can play all rtas of protools hd in realtime record it in samplitude delay it in the 01V
you will hear no latency!!!!!
We are not discussing offsets but input delay which is the difference between the artist performance (playing) and hearing the actual signal (sound). When using RTAS or VST plugins, there IS a delay.
So unless you are using the 01V (assuming the Yamaha mixer) to monitor the input signal and combine it with the playback from PT or Samplitude, you will have a delay. And as you are delaying the signal in the 01V, you will have a total delay. Or am I absoutely misinterpreting your story?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
can anyone inform me on how to test round trip latency? using an Apollo X8, which i adore- but i am using it mostly as a front end processor and monitoring natively through PT 2018 so that I can use room correction on my master. looking to see what the true native latency of this system is, and if i can keep working at 48. i have a feeling 96 might be in my future if it puts me in the sub 5ms area.

any help would be really appreciated! i will post result here for 48/96 at typical working buffer sizes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
can anyone inform me on how to test round trip latency? .
RTL Utility : Latest builds available Here

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by citrusonic View Post
can anyone inform me on how to test round trip latency? using an Apollo X8, which i adore- but i am using it mostly as a front end processor and monitoring natively through PT 2018 so that I can use room correction on my master. looking to see what the true native latency of this system is, and if i can keep working at 48. i have a feeling 96 might be in my future if it puts me in the sub 5ms area.

any help would be really appreciated! i will post result here for 48/96 at typical working buffer sizes.
just take this https://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility

plug 2 jack to apollo OUT and plug it in apollo IN the internal mixer should let pass the signal free (don't worry about larsen RTL do not larsen)

open apollo and the open RTL

select your appolo asio driver in rtl

then you can test yout appolo at every buffer size

your will have a value but this value will not explain you how apollo compensate

asio latency with protools?

if i was in your case a put away protools and take samplitude
with appolo ....vst and apollo plugins are enough
protools doesn't give good result in term of midi /audio sync
but samplitude do not disturb audio/midi sync
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Leon, don't waste your time attempting to reason, it will simply be an exercise in pigeon chess.

I am hoping the admins/mods mop up the isle , till then.

Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Welp, time to close the thread.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'd be very curious to see tests on some of the following (if these were done already, please let me know):

RME UFX II (note: not the UFX 'plus' - curious how the "2" compares to the UFX plus in USB mode)
Motu 1248
Apollo x8p

My Fireface 800 is still kicking, but the odd crash here and there has me thinking it may be time to finally start thinking about an upgrade (it's gotta be 15 years old now - or very close). I'm on Windows and don't currently have Thunderbolt, so I'll etiher get a new PC before the Fireface dies (and maybe a thunderbolt PC - hence the Apollo in the running), but more likely: a USB2/3 Fireface replacement first. Run a lot of effects and VI's (in addition to audio), so low latency performance is important as is decent conversion (can always upgrade the conversion later).
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I'd be very curious to see tests on some of the following (if these were done already, please let me know):

RME UFX II (note: not the UFX 'plus' - curious how the "2" compares to the UFX plus in USB mode)
Motu 1248
Apollo x8p

My Fireface 800 is still kicking, but the odd crash here and there has me thinking it may be time to finally start thinking about an upgrade (it's gotta be 15 years old now - or very close). I'm on Windows and don't currently have Thunderbolt, so I'll etiher get a new PC before the Fireface dies (and maybe a thunderbolt PC - hence the Apollo in the running), but more likely: a USB2/3 Fireface replacement first. Run a lot of effects and VI's (in addition to audio), so low latency performance is important as is decent conversion (can always upgrade the conversion later).

Well. Rme and UAD are going to have incredibly stable drivers and low latency. Those are two of the best and most expensive interfaces out. You won't do wrong. But even RME 802 Will be solid and much cheaper, if you don't want to build a new PC. I'd personally rather put money into a PC and get a presonus quantum, rme 802, or anything from rme. I built an incredible PC for less than 1000.00
Best thing I've done for my music.
NVME drives are the way to go.
ASRock z370 gaming itx
I5 8600k. Although I now wish I'd have gotten an i7 8700.
16gb ddr4
All in a tiny inwin Chopin.
This PC is fast, powerful, and small. No heating issues at all.

I would opt for a bigger case but I move around a bit and went the more mobile route.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallon426 View Post
Well. Rme and UAD are going to have incredibly stable drivers and low latency. Those are two of the best and most expensive interfaces out. You won't do wrong. But even RME 802 Will be solid and much cheaper, if you don't want to build a new PC. I'd personally rather put money into a PC and get a presonus quantum, rme 802, or anything from rme. I built an incredible PC for less than 1000.00
Best thing I've done for my music.
NVME drives are the way to go.
ASRock z370 gaming itx
I5 8600k. Although I now wish I'd have gotten an i7 8700.
16gb ddr4
All in a tiny inwin Chopin.
This PC is fast, powerful, and small. No heating issues at all.

I would opt for a bigger case but I move around a bit and went the more mobile route.
I go through PC's much faster than I go through audio interfaces, so because of that, I'm thinking the money may be best spent on the interface. My current one lasted 15 years, and if my next interface can do the same, I'll be glad I spent the extra money upfront. In that time, I probably went through 5 PCs.

In all honesty, I'm 80% settled on the UFX II. But part of me thinks UFX+ is the way to go (that way if I get a new PC, I have the thunderbolt option, but can run USB3 for now). Another part of me wonders if a MOTU or UAD might not be a better sounding option and warrants some consideration.

I've got a 4790k at the moment, which isn't terribly slow, so I think I can get another year or two out of it. If my Fireface died tomorrow though, I wouldn't be surprised or too upset. I already had the power supply replaced after it died during Hurricane Sandy (my bad for not unplugging my gear or having that in the UPC knowing there was a high risk of losing power). If something dies again (remember, it's been a little unstable lately), it'll be time to replace permanently or maybe just keep as an ADAT expander.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search