The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New DAW software driving me insane. DAW Software
Old 25th February 2006
Gear Maniac

New DAW software driving me insane.

Recently I made the simple decision that I wanted to incorporate some of my external workflow, mobile recording, etc into a DAW application other than ProTools. I've been using PTs for so long that I wasn't even aware of how intuitive I've become with it - i.e. I can simply work and move freely doing what I want whenever I want without even being concious of my "mousing and clicking". In fact, using PTs has become second nature to me.

Now to the dilemma, a friend of mine has a native DAW at his home studio with Audition and Cubase on it. He was kind enough to let me use both to form an opinion. My assumption was that it would come to me quickly, similar to sitting down behind a desk I've never used before, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

The most basic of tasks became seemingly insurmountable problems, slowing workflow to an unnacceptable crawl.

Is this what I can expect learning new software? Has anyone else experienced this? What seems to be the "Backup DAW of Choice" for those who are so versed in the PTs workflow?

There has to be something out there that has similar operations, or am I wrong?

THANKS!
-C
Old 25th February 2006
Lives for gear

mmmmmm. .....i like subway tuna sandwiches....lol.
i wonder if some joker will suggest i own a subway franchise cos i like their food....lol. (in joke lol)
anyhow...on daw software my perspective is its all pretty darn good these days including what i use in my sig. you might check it out sometime for more than a cursory look if you wish for stability/recovery from an unforeseen pc crash/low price/ease of use/huge range of features/free tech support/great user forums etc , plus the fact no dongles and upgrades are normally 29 bucks each year. i normally upgrade every other year to save abit.

to be fair any software has a learning curve these days. mainly because there are so many features in audio software. however you should be up and running with what i use in about an hour providing you have a basic understanding that with any audio software you need to identify to the software which input/output sound drivers to use and which tracks you want to use as audio tracks and which midi.
ie..just read the user manual a bit. there are also intro videos and a free demo at pgmusic.com if you wish to try it plus read the faq's carefully.
to be frank to get into what i use...because there are just so many audio and midi features and effects built in will prolly take more than a couple of days.
its the result of competition tween all the different audio software.
if you doubt how good it is just go talk to other users on the pg forums...some of whom also use pro tools.peace.
ps.....i should say the main reason i like it is it runs on the crappiest
pc's right thru to the most sophisticated amd'//intels.
ie...craptops/laptops/towers/mini towers..even old p3's with a decent ram level.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search