The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ProTools LE-DIGI 001-- upgrade to Panther Issues
Old 16th February 2006
Gear Head

ProTools LE-DIGI 001-- upgrade to Panther Issues

Is anyone out there running a DIGI 001-ProTools LE setup on Panther ??

I just upgraded to 10.3.4 (previously running 10.2.8) and am having major problems trying to run ProTools. I've done everything that the Digidesign site says to do (update to LE 6.4--updated plugins--repaired permissions).

I did a completely Clean install of 10.3.3 (erased the drive before installation), upgraded to 10.3.4 and then completely re-installed ProTools again, and again, and again but it still won't work. I try to open it and it crashes with the "ProTools has unexpectedly quit" message. I've also tried running it on my other HD with 10.3.9 with the same results (while reading some Mac Rumors forums within the last couple of weeks, I noticed someone who had posted to a forum mentioned that they were running the 001 on 10.3.9 even though it is not officially supported by DIGI).

Funny thing is.....I can open the Digidesign Core Audio application and set the setting for the 001 card and it sees the interface just fine. And I can play Quicktime and iTunes through the DIGI 001 and have no problems hearing the audio come thru the interface. And I can also play a demo of the soft synth "Absynth" thru the 001 interface with no problems. Yet when I try to open the ProTools 6.4 application it immediately crashes.

Get this---Right after I had installed Panther on one of my HD's, I still had 10.2.8 running on a different Hard Drive. So I booted back to that to run the earlier version of ProTools (6.1.2) and now that won't work either......and that's on a completely different drive and OS......just bizarre !!

I'm wondering if the application just doesn't like something in my computer now that I have Panther. Everything was working fine in 10.2.8.....but since upgrading to Panther I have alot of problems with ProTools. Everything else in my computer runs just fine in Panther.

I have an "Orange Micro" Firewire USB card, a SCSI card (2906) and a DIGI 001 PCI card. I tried pulling the SCSI card to see if it was that but ProTools still wouldn't open. And I tried disconnecting some of my peripherals from the USB and Firewire ports (printers, etc...).....still no dice.

Here's my setup:

Dual 1 Ghz G4-Quicksilver
1.5 GB Ram
80 GB HD (Internal) OS X 10.3.9
80 GB HD (2nd Internal) run OS 9.2.2 w/ProTools LE...which still works
120 GB HD (Internal) (2 partitions, one with OS X 10.3.4)
250 GB External FW HD
Orange Micro FW-USB 2.0 PCI Card
Adaptec 2906 SCSI--w/ Iomega Zip 100 drive
Digidesign DIGI 001 PCI Card
NVidia G Force 4MX AGP Video card (stock)

Does anyone out there have any insight on this issue ??

DIGI says on their website that LE 6.4 is supposed to work with OS 10.3.4 or 10.3.5 with a DIGI 001......not for me so far !! I actually booted back on to one of my HD's that has just OS 9.2.2 and used my OLD ProTools LE (version 5.2.1) and it worked fine. It's too bad I can't figure out what the problem is......I really like the speed increase of Panther compared to 10.2.8.

But if I can't get ProTools LE to work in OS X Panther with the DIGI 001 than that's completely stupid !! I don't want to have to revert back completely to running it in OS 9 all the time....haven't had to do that in a long time.

I held off upgrading my OS for a long time.....having just finally gotten Panther for my Mac within the last week. So it's not like I'm on the bleeding edge of updating my computer.......I've always waited for long periods before upgrading OS's because of compatability issues.

Staying on 10.2.8 for as long as I did it got to the point where almost everything else that I want to get for software was requiring a minimum of 10.3........so I figured it was finally time to upgrade to Panther or be left out.

I will be starting to incorporate some VST Soft Synths very soon for writing alot of Ambient and SpaceMusic (I've always used outboard Synths and Instruments until now).....I think I might have to get Logic Audio for that....it looks and seems pretty cool from what I've heard for VST Instruments.

As far as my ProTools fiasco goes....maybe I might have to consider ditching the DIGI 001 and get a DIGI 002 Rack to continue working in Panther. I've got a number of songs that are in ProTools that aren't quite finished yet.....so I do need access to ProTools in some fashion to finish off those mixes.

I love the way ProTools software works for multi-track recording......I've been using it in my Home studio for the last 6 years (starting with the Audio Media III card and then getting the DIGI 001)......but this may be turning into a headache that may steer me to another Audio Program.....especially from the Hardware perspective as well.

Thank god I still have an 8-Track Analog recorder: Tascam TSR 8 1/2" Reel to Reel with built in DBX.....the last model they made in the late 80's. I still use it alot. Looks like I might be using it even more until I get my Computer Recording situation figured out. Man, the price of Analog tape just SUCKS now !! Especially with no more "Emtec SM 900" 1/2" tape....my absolute favorite !!

I hope someone out there will have some helpful insight.......

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search