The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What the Flux?
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Oh it can. Even plugs that aren't currently loaded can cause crashes. One plug can cause another to produce audible clicks, too.

Hold on... someone has to explain to me how this could possibly happen.

1. Plugins are DLLs. (dynamically linked libraries) These are little in-process bits of code that run only when they are loaded. You can have 1,000 plugs sitting in your VST, RTAS, or whatever folder and they will not run unless they are inserted into the project.

2. Even when they are running, they should have no effect on one another. It's true that badly written code (e.g., writing to memory you didn't allocate) could cause a host to crash. But that would be because there's badly written code in the Flux plugin, unless your iZotope plugin causes your host to crash without the Flux plugin present.

I'd love to hear someone who writes code explain why Flux is right here.
Old 6th November 2011
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
I love the Flux plugins and would like to buy more, but this lack of support (and 64-bit) and the user horror stories is making me to take my money elsewhere.
I have several of their plugins, but finally gave up trying to use them. I spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting a problem with their security apps (FluxA, FluxB), but still had issues with ProTools, so I deleted all of them and put the key in the drawer.

Pace is bad enough, but Flux really needs to at least drop their intermediate security app and either adopt Pace support directly, or stick to their own key - that might solve half of the instability problems, or it might not.

Of course, all security procedures are going to introduce potentially serious stability/compatibility problems (i.e. honest paying customers pay the price for piracy, not developers or pirates). I lost more money in time spent debugging Flux plugin problems than they cost. And they lost a paying customer in the process. I hope it's worth losing a few dozen paying customers just to stop a handful of 14 year old kids from using them illegally.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm a little troubled with the negative commentary about Flux. and wonder (hope... sorry PT folks) that it's more of a PT issue than a PC/Nuendo-etc. issue, as I am going to be testing the full versions of Spat, Verb, and HEar in the coming weeks.

From what I've done with Spat so far, I think this is the most exciting kick-ass plug-in to come along in a long while and am super thrilled to go deeper than a fully working demo.

I have heard stories, however, that after demoing successfully, the registration process causes headaches and then Flux's support fails to respond. I really hope Flux can work all that out because their latest products (Spat, Verb, Session) are awesome!

Anyone who's worked in the binaural/transaural area should be totally stoked by what Flux is up to, and anyone who has not should start learning about it, because this is what what "space" (aka reverb and placement) is all about with respect to mixing, and with more music listened to on headphones than in the history of music, binaural is finally ready for primetime!
Old 6th November 2011
kdm
Lives for gear
Agreed - Spat does sound fantastic and the concept has great potential, but the lack of automation support beyond the basic morph slider makes it unusable for post at the moment, or when I demo'd it last year at least.

And in Nuendo, even automating a linear move with the morph slider (which is all it would automate) caused serious cpu spiking with a very simple setup at higher latency - single audio file, stereo in/out, linear morph of left to right position alone (quad core). Just moving parameters works fine, but automation apparently has some issues - if I recall correctly, Flux claimed it was a Steinberg issue. The issues I ran into with ProTools were Pace-related, so I never had a chance to seriously test it there.

Maybe automating morph will work on a 12-core system in some other host, but I would try it under a real-world scenario before assuming it will work cleanly beyond single file, static scene sound design.
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Ahhhhh... more troubling news... I wondered if automation was limited to morphing between A and B, but was assuming it was not because that would be ridiculous (!) given the OBVIOUS potential of full automation!

But... I remember seeing a demo of Spat, where they used an animation of a bee (I think) flying around and had used Spat to track its course in post. So... are you sure about this?

Nuendo also allows access to a lot of plug-in controls...

I'll have to look into this when I crack it open next week.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Epure used to be my favorite EQ plugin, but since I bought EQuality and got EQuick for free, there is zero need for Epure. EQuality and EQuick beats Epure in every way hands down and they are 64-bit.

So I don´t even care anymore if they go 64-bit. This company is dead to me. Too bad they already got some of my money, but I hope this warning saves someone elses hard earned money. Stay away from this company!
Old 6th November 2011
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlien View Post
Ahhhhh... more troubling news... I wondered if automation was limited to morphing between A and B, but was assuming it was not because that would be ridiculous (!) given the OBVIOUS potential of full automation!

But... I remember seeing a demo of Spat, where they used an animation of a bee (I think) flying around and had used Spat to track its course in post. So... are you sure about this?

Nuendo also allows access to a lot of plug-in controls...

I'll have to look into this when I crack it open next week.
Let me know if you find anything different, but it did not work in Nuendo at the time (Nuendo 4). As I recall, I tried everything just to see what would work, including drawing in automation lanes in Nuendo one at a time, reassigning controllers, etc - didn't work. Only the morph slider would automate between two points - and that is really just one control from the DAW. I believe Flux confirmed this limitation, but will have to dig back through emails to see what they said to be sure.
Old 7th November 2011
Gear Maniac

It's comments like this from Sweetwater's website that leave me confused about what's "supposed" to work:

Supports automation for virtually every parameter for powerful sound design and post-production possibilities.

That should be how it is! I'll see what I find.

FELIX!!! Any reply here would be welcome so I'm not searching for results that just aint there.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

I can access all parameters for automation of all Flux plugs in Sequoia... It tends to be easier to use the slider, but you can get to the individual parameters pretty easily.

--Ben
Old 8th November 2011
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I can access all parameters for automation of all Flux plugs in Sequoia... It tends to be easier to use the slider, but you can get to the individual parameters pretty easily.

--Ben
Can you automate Spat in a mix context; and can it be done there without cpu overloads? If so, then that may be a Nuendo issue. My review trial ran out so I can't test it in PT10. Would be interesting to know if there's a way to make use of it. Spat could be an incredible post/sound design tool, but practical automation is a must.

Fyi all - when replying about automation, I was specifically referring to Spat. I don't think I had any problems automating ePure, but it's been a while since I had to move on to other options several months ago.
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

Don't have Spat or any of the other IRCAM plugins as I got tired of spending money on buggy plugins with crappy support. I do have all of the other plugs, though- EQ, comps, etc... (essentially the Full Pack II) and I've finally gotten to a point where they almost always work. Because of that, I can't see upgrading my plugs further unless I have to.

Sorry if I missed the fact that you were just talking about Spat...

--Ben
Old 9th November 2011
Lives for gear

Just updating on my continued lack of progress getting Flux Pure Limiter v2.3 to work with PT9.0.5...

I tried the latest updates that Felix and tech support recommend but the problem still exists. If Flux Pure Limiter is installed as an RTAS plug-in Pro Tools crashes at launch. When the plug is removed, PT9 works just fine.

I'm fully authorized via ilok and this behavior has been going on for months...Luckily I have the Sonnox limiter too, but I will say all my future flux purchases are permanently on hold until I can get this resolved. Its a shame too as I was just about to buy the IRCAM Trax and Analyzer plugs... no way am I buying anything until this is resolved though.
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been putting Flux's SPAT through the paces recently, using a fully-working 10-day trial version.

I am mainly interested in the binaural/transaural aspects of the plug-in for now, and am having some so-so results. Here are a couple issues:

1) Spat does not seem to automate much in Nuendo, except for their "scene A to B" slider (yawn...), which is actually unbelievable since it is SCREAMING for automation! Anyway, the only way I can record movement is "on the fly", recording live. But
Nuendo is limited about what a track can record. The only way I
was able to do this was to "send" the Group Track with Spat to an Effects
Track (with no effect inserted in it). This way I could select the FX track as
the input source of the new Audio Track (it seems Groups can not be inputs, but FX tracks can), and then I could make my moves live as I was recording. This is obviously not a great solution, but it brought me back to my early studio days with all hands on deck for a mix!.

Actually... FLUX/IRCAM... WHY CAN'T THE PARAMETERS IN SPAT BE AUTOMATED???

2) The next issue was the only HRTF option in the "Settings" section is a Kemar dummy-head. However, I can see a directory on my PC with many "dummy-head" HRTF files, which was created during the installation. So I am not sure why I can't choose other heads, and am awaiting an answer from Flux. I'm keen to try other heads, because the Kemar head offered minimal results. Not a great binaural effect (on headphones).

3) Reverbs 2 and 3 have no effect, as if they were not enabled in this "fully-working" trial version. Also waiting for word from Flux on this.

4) The Transaural setting yielded surprisingly good results (this is a binaural effect which is compatible with stereo speaker playback). I say surprisingly good because up to now, the results of the in-headphones binaural effect was minimal, and I was also very disappointed with the results of Flux's HEar plug-in (used for rendering a 5.1 mix for headphones also with binaural processing). Both of these were not as impressive as I'd hoped, and not good enough to dedicate a project to (as I'd also hoped). But the transaural effect was quite interesting, and definitely had some sounds seeming to be well outside of the speaker realm.

That's the skinny on Spat so far. I'd be happy to post audio results if anybody's interested.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
...finally gave up trying to use them....honest paying customers pay the price for piracy... I lost more money in time spent debugging Flux plugin problems than they cost. And they lost a paying customer in the process. I hope it's worth losing a few dozen paying customers just to stop a handful of 14 year old kids from using them illegally.
From my experience and view point 90 to 99% of people who get cracked software are mostly motivated to entertain the idea of being some great artist and not actually making it happen.
What they really want is something to dream about, not achieving a goal (despite they would claim they want to achieve a goal - they don`t).
Instead of learning to get the most out of what they have, they get more cracked software - because actually doing something would be work
Making art is not as simple as watching TV and many people don`t want to leave their comfort zone.
It`s also that many of those who get nowhere don`t trust in their ability to accomplish anything, so they give up whenever the first challenge comes along.
The point is, even if the software they downloaded as crack wouldn`t be available as crack, they still wouldn`t buy it.
There may be a few who actually make money with music and use cracks but from my experience the most common scenario is that people who are serious about doing something creative buy the software they use.

I think without cracks being available, the developer will not sell more. Instead, the extra cost of the dongle and the hassle that come with it and the software means many lost sales. It`s like an additional sales tax, causes problems (see this thread) that the developers have to spend time on fixing. That`s time they don`t have to develop new functions and new plug-ins.
Dongles hurts the developers` business and the buyers. It`s nonsense.

There`s a lot of software collectors who get all kinds of cracked expensive software like for aircraft construction or something and among that also all DAWs on the planet and they never even install it.
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
Can you automate Spat in a mix context; and can it be done there without cpu overloads? Fyi all - when replying about automation, I was specifically referring to Spat.
Hi kdm, no, I was not able to access any automation in Nuendo, except the bypass for the plug-in. But I want to dig in a little deeper and see if there's really no way... because to think of it, I also did not see the A-to-B scene slider which I think (fear) was the only intended automation Flux designed for.

It's insane if this plug-in can not automate movement! Insane I tell you!!!!!!!! (screaming ensues and heels are heard being dragged away on concrete to a distant room, as screams change to wails, a squeaky hinge of a cell door whines and the door clangs shut... massive booming verb... c'mon! tell me you'll want to do this without automation???!!!)
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Good news!!! Flux Spat is fully automated in Nuendo!

Took some searching, but it was entirely my fault not realizing where to look (mis-presuming the "A-to-B" scene slider was Flux's answer to automation).

Numerous parameters are available and it works like a charm!!! Very cool! (!!!!!)

YES! There is a God!!! (Angels descend singing glorious harmony, swirling around the listener's head, in a multi-chambered cathedral, and all in complete reproducible automation... "Hallelujah!")
Old 22nd November 2011
VCF
Gear Head

Chiming in here again. Flux Limiter is a gamble for me, stability wise, when i insert it into Ableton projects, which in turn has resulted in me using other limiters. Sad, because the Flux is really good.

The thing that puzzles me is that Flux is the only plugin i have major stability problem with that uses an iLOK. And they are also the only company that requires updating of the PACE drivers when you update the Flux installers. Not to mention the more expensive plugs in their class.

I'm no coder by any means and i'm not angry by any means, i just think its very strange.
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

It's unacceptable for such a pricy product to cause stability issues. What if you forget to save before inserting it. Data loss.

I haven't heard the Flux limiter listed among the best lately. The money seems to be on FabFilter Pro-L or Ozone 5 based on the comments I've seen lately. Both seem rock solid.

Save yourself some frustration and go with one of these. Risking losing a project or wasting more time troubleshooting because you already invested in a broken product is throwing good money after bad.
Old 22nd November 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

The free BitterSweet is still a great tool, but I wouldn't buy from them again.
Old 29th December 2011
Here for the gear

My own experience with Flux is positive.
That free bittersweet 2 plug in is pretty cool!
I'm on a mac using Logic...
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to follow up saying, SPAT automates beautifully. It is an extremely useful plug-in.

I did have tons of stability problems when using more than one instance or is. But, as it can take 8 sources into up-to-12 outputs (in Nuendo), one instance is often enough.

I created a 3-part vocal harmony with 6 unison voices on each part, and each group of 6 going into SPAT, positioning the singers around your "head" location, in different groups and distances (i.e. main melody clustered in the front and closer, bass further back, mid to the sides of you and a little behind), like being swarmed by carolers.

I then automated them so they lean in and then back off at the end of phrases.

The result is awesome! I rendered three versions within SPAT, one binaural (using the "Head 1003" HRTF file, one of about 20 provided), transaural (which creates a simulated binaural "out-of-speaker" effect, and plain old stereo.

All were of use in different applications.

My only two issues with SPAT now are the stability problem when running more than one instance in a project, and the apparent inability to feed in a genuine binaural source, for transaural output; feeding it in as "stereo" does not work right, for some reason.

Other than these issues, SPAT can do what no program can, at a quality level that I am aware of.

Matthew
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I haven't heard the Flux limiter listed among the best lately. The money seems to be on FabFilter Pro-L or Ozone 5 based on the comments I've seen lately. Both seem rock solid.
There is a new flux limiter:

Flux Elixir Limiter

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...ghlight=elixir

Izotope Ozone 5.

Flux Elixir
Old 6th January 2012
Deleted User #106149
what the hell!!

ive been using Epure for a while, its my favourite EQ plugin and i use it in almost all projects. Ive been having crash problems with Cubase 5 for the past couple of weeks, after sifting through every vst plugin i own it seems its the flux thats causeD Cubase to crash...

Error is called "hashtag (number)".

HELP WHYS IT SUDDENLY BUGGED OUT ON ME ? Reinstall?
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

I bought Elixir the other day after trying the demo on a mix in Logic. Really loved the sound but I haven't been able to get it to work in Pro Tools. Pro Tools just hangs at the loading screen as soon as it tries to load Elixir.dpm. The only way I can get Pro Tools to open properly is by removing Elixir from the plugins folder.
Old 14th February 2012
Here for the gear

After having used the demos extensively I'm pretty impressed and have not had any problems with stability (OS X 10.7.2, Logic 9.1.6 and latest demos of Full Pack and PAS). Maybe it's to do with iLok? At any rate I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I could only get through to support. I have tried to reach them through email a couple of times during the past three weeks for an educational purchase (50% off... serious bargain!). So all that to say that if they have problems with support requests even when they could be making money from it, you can safely assume that they are a small team who have to prioritize other things.
Old 25th April 2012
dio
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix (Flux) View Post
Anything can happen during the road to the released builds, but this is what we aim for right now at least. The project started yesterday and is now up and running on prio for the next weeks/months.

Cheers,
/Felix
Old 29th May 2012
Here for the gear

FLUX Customer Service - Terrible

Flux has an issue with in Protools 10 with some conflict with Reason - as noted in the release notes. Months has gone by with no fix. I can not sue most of the Flux plugins in Protoools 10.

Although the IRCAM stuff works and the Alchemist. ????

I have emailed them 2 times. The last email sat in their tech Que "unassigned" for months.

I like their tools - but there tech support and customer support is abysmal
these days.

Has anyone had any luck getting through to these guys??

For the price these guys charge it is awful they have no real customer support.

Regards - Robert
Old 30th May 2012
Lives for gear

The only way I can get Pure Compressor II to work on my iMac with PT 10.2 is by renaming the plug. I simply put a 1 in front and this forces it to load before digiwire. No more problems. This did come from Flux support after an incredibly long wait.
Old 30th May 2012
Gear Maniac

I had the same trouble with no reply, but then emailed every address I could find for every employee and supervisor. After that, I got very good response. Lately I ahve also had quick response from [email protected]. Are you using that address?
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlien View Post
I had the same trouble with no reply, but then emailed every address I could find for every employee and supervisor. After that, I got very good response. Lately I ahve also had quick response from [email protected]. Are you using that address?
I posted beginning of may a question through their new online support tool, got no answer, then snet a mail to support may 18th, no answer, again june 2nd, no answer...I cannot run automation on Trax with Logic and i's driving me crazy. Their customer service is the worst in the high end plugins industry, a real shame...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search