The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD EMT 140 vrs UAD EMT 250
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Smile UAD EMT 140 vrs UAD EMT 250

In comparing the UAD 140 and 250 plate reverbs, what difference are between these two reverbs and which sounds best in certain applications? Or do you just prefer one over the other most of the time.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World
In comparing the UAD 140 and 250 plate reverbs, what difference are between these two reverbs and which sounds best in certain applications? Or do you just prefer one over the other most of the time.
They are both excellent!!
140 is more dirty than the 250.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have the 250. I do have the plate reverb, it's excellent.

They aren't both plate reverbs. The 250 is a digital reverb, the 140 a plate.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World
For me the 250 is more versatile.
Its sounds good for all (Vox, Synths, Drums,...). The 140 has more charme. Its great for dirty Pads, Vocals, Strings,...
Both are very easy to handle.

When you are looking for smooth and really clean and fine Reverbs, than check the EWQL Spaces.
For me it is the best IR. The Focus is Scores, Big Drums and lovely Solo Instruments.
Old 16th March 2011
140 was my favourite intil i try 250.
for nice tails - try 140
for good placement and wideness - 250

i use 250 every time by now
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear

They both rip! 140 is pure elegance. 250 is a little more spaceship-but in a unique and beautiful way. 140=strings, piano, AG. 250=VOX, EFX

to the stars!
Old 17th March 2011
It's almost like comparing Apples and Oranges in a way, they are so different.
The 140 is modelled on 3 different real plates, and is wonderful for adding an almost silky sound on vocals, acoustic guitars or anything you want to shine out in the mix.
The 250 is a completely different animal, being a digital reverb. It also has delay, chorus, echo, phasing & space effects as well as reverb and is wonderful for creating a real sense of space that does not sound artificial.

All I can suggest is to demo them both, and be prepared to dent the wallet to the tune of the pair, which can now be bought cheaper than the individual cost (sadly, I bought mine as they came out..)
Old 21st March 2011
Gear Addict

The best way to decide is to demo both of them on your tracks, and go from there. I liked both, but preferred the 250 for what I was doing. Probably not the slutty answer, but I didn't feel a need to have both in my setup. Your results may prove different.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
I don't have the 250. I do have the plate reverb, it's excellent.

Well, actually, they are both DIGITAL reverbs.

I have and love both. The additional effects in the 250 are really good too.
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Nut

EMT 250 is my fave reverb - it creates a sense of space without really sounding like a traditional reverb would. The EMT 140 creates a nice vintage vibe and is more traditional sounding.
Old 26th April 2012
One thing about the EMT 140 that has not been mentioned here that I feel is particularly important isthat it is not "a" plate emulation, it is 3 plate emulations and they all sound very different.
As you go through A, B & C they get denser as you go. Plate A is almost sparse at some settings, Plate B has a markedly more noticeable tail to it & plate C is the densest of the lot with a lot longer decay time - try it.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Addict

I like the UAD EMT-250 emulation more. But it's just subjective maybe - because it works better for my style of music (EDM).

It's also a nice addition to my hardware gear Lexicon 300, Eventide DSP-4000 and Roland SRV-330. The sound is very clear and spacey.

Goes a little bit more in that SRV-2000 and T.C. direction, but with more space. I love it especially on female vocals. It sounds expensive.

Besides the Lexicon PCM Native Reverb the best ITB reverb.

The UAD 140 is a great plate emulation, but it sounds more vintage. I have better ones in my Lexicon 300 and SRV-330.

Sudad G
Old 26th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudad G View Post
The UAD 140 is a great plate emulation, but it sounds more vintage. I have better ones in my Lexicon 300 and SRV-330.

Sudad G
Really? I know the Roland s a great - and very under-rated - unit, but may I ask what of the 3 plates in the EMT 140 you tried? They really are very, very different
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Neilwilkes
Really? I know the Roland s a great - and very under-rated - unit, but may I ask what of the 3 plates in the EMT 140 you tried? They really are very, very different
Maybe I have expressed it a little bit wrong. I like the UAD-140 too, but in my studio I try to combine plugins to my hardware to expand or add another soundcharacter to it, that my existing hardware doesn't has.

So the UAD EMT-250 has a complete other sound character than my Lexicon 300, Eventide DSP4000 and Roland SRV-330 and is a nice addition to my hardware reverbs.

The UAD EMT-140 sounds warmer and little bit darker (just the basic character) and comes closer to my Lexicon 300 plates. If I tweak it to sound more bright then it comes closer to my Roland SRV-330 reverb but with just a little less 3D effect (an often disadvantage of ITB reverbs).

Maybe I have to spend more time with it.

The EMT-250 is easy to tweak and I get very fast the sound what I want. It's very spacey and 3D, but not too much spacey like my Eventide DSP4000. So it's perfect addition.

Maybe I like it because of that.

Which plate type you would recommand?

Sudad G
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I also have the Lexicon 300L - but I would say the EMT 140 sounds much more vintage or "special" while the 300L has a typical digtial plate sound.

The EMT 140 sounds absolutely great - it´s superthick, but I found my self reaching for the EMT 250 in most cases.

While I hate Reverbs that fall apart on drums - I also love it if they still have some texture to them.
Most of the time I find Plate-Reverbs too dense and difficult to fit in the mix.

A few weegs ago, I was mixing with one of the clients - he played a Gibson L5 with a vintage Fender Twin on the recording.
We tested both the EMT 140 and the 250 on his guitar - and to my surprise even the clients were clearly fond of the 250 on the guitar.
The EMT 140 would have been the perfect match - but everyone love the spaciousness and tone the EMT 250 created with it´s randomizes even on this vintage guitar/amp combo.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted be grooveminister
The EMT 140 sounds absolutely great - it´s superthick, but I found my self reaching for the EMT 250 in most cases.
And the same happened with me The EMT-140 was mostly too vintage or "special" while the 300L has that typical digtial plate sound.
So I also choosed the EMT-250 or my Lexicon 300. And when I need a special grainy or harder sounding plate sound then I go with my Roland SRV-330.
But mostly I use the SRV-330 for short ambiences on drums and percussion and the Lexicon 300 and EMT-250 for vocals and bigger ambiences or halls.

Rem: The Lexicon 300 could also sound very dark and warm if you tweak the presets a little bit or by eqing on your mixing desk.

Sudad G
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
In theory but let's face it in plugin format the 140 is digital too lol
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electraluxx View Post
Well, actually, they are both DIGITAL reverbs.

Comedian!heh
Old 16th March 2016
Both are killer, two totally different plugins. I personally love the EMT 250 which is simply fabulous.
The EMT 140 is great too but I think the 250 is more versatile. What's really great is when I bought the Apollo8 From UA, they offered me 2 plugins (ANY PLUGINS THEY MAKE!!) for only $299. If you are in the market for an interface, UA is a no brainer and the $299 for any 2 plugins option is just bananas. I demo'd about 20 plugins for 14 days for free including these two and the 250 is just killer, smooth like buttah. Again, you gotta demo them to see which you like. What I find is everyone has these strong opinions but in the end meaningless because personal taste, practical application and mix environment varies. I work full time in Manhattan all over NYC in these huge studios and one guru is like, "this is the only compressor I use, it is just the best!" Then I go down the street and this other guru, who has worked on everything and has crazy credits is like, "man that one compressor is just the worst thing in the world." Yet both are incredible at their craft and get amazing results. This thread is the exact same thing. Try them out man. good luck!

From UA's site (March 2016):

Upgrade to a Custom 2 Bundle — Pick Any 2 UAD Plug-Ins for Just $299
The Custom 2 bundle allows you to select any 2 individual UAD plug-ins within 45 days of purchase — a potential value of $698, for just $299.

Upgrade to a Custom 3 Bundle — Pick Any 3 UAD Plug-Ins for Just $399
The Custom 3 bundle allows you to select any 3 individual UAD plug-ins within 45 days of purchase — a potential value of more than $1,000, for just $399.

Upgrade to a Custom 6 Bundle — Pick Any 6 UAD Plug-Ins for Just $799
The Custom 6 bundle allows you to select any 6 individual UAD plug-ins within 45 days of purchase — a potential value of $2,000, for just $799.

Hurry, this offer expires March 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search