The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sorry, but how can HD1 not be enough for ME??
Old 16th March 2011
Gear Maniac

just trying to weigh up my HD1 ideas.

I use mostly RTAS plugs, I understand the in's and outs of voice allocation in the TDM world, I'll have a whopping 96 voices to play with,
so,

when tracking, I'll be tracking max 32 channels at a time. I'm thinking to use TDM plugs on input tracks for the low latency monitoring and where i want to hear a roughly nicer mix of the live tracking band (hence the use of the plugs), which I'll also send to band cans.
I'll use a TDM reverb for guide vocal tracking (and vocal tracking in general).

i can track a band in a situation like this and also have spare voices for pre-pro guide/scratch tracks for the band to play to.

for mixing - I'll revert all TDM plugs used in tracking to RTAS equivalents, so as to stick to the 'RTAS first in the chain' rule - am I correct in saying that I only use one voice per track if it's all RTAS first in the channel and then followed by TDM (with out reverting back to RTAS before track output)?

I just counted up that I reckon I'd use 64 recordable tracks in a session, leaving 32 voices spare for RTAS Auxes - and what else ????

so even if i have another 8 RTAS send effects going, I'm only going to use up another 16 voices right ???
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear
Yes, that seems about right. Just people who don't like juggling around with plugs and other stuff need HD3 or more. I guess I'm one of them, I don't want to think about stuff like this, I just want the gear to do what its told without complaining and make music.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
Yes, that seems about right. Just people who don't like juggling around with plugs and other stuff need HD3 or more. I guess I'm one of them, I don't want to think about stuff like this, I just want the gear to do what its told without complaining and make music.
Exactly. I actually started on a Mix 3 system. As far as I knew, that was Pro Tools. Then I bought an LE system for home use and I was unimpressed.
A good TDM system lets you forget about PDC, latency, and that kind of stuff. Cheap HD Process cards are the way to go to save money and get great perforemance if you have PCI slots, but who has those anymore?
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear
Well, I still have PCI slots cause I'm still running a Mix5 system at home in an old G5. Functionality?... Not so much...But it just works, so why throw it away? I only do my edit stuff on there when I have to babysit the kids.
Old 17th March 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm actually tossing up selling my Mac pro and using my 17" mbp with the hd1 - am I shooting myself in the foot?
Thing is, the Mac pro sale has to fund the used Hd1
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Are you going to use a multi slot expansion chassis or just the 1 pcie card chassis? It seems your needs are pretty minimal but I still can't tell you for sure if an HD1 would work for you. I would say go HD1 but plan to add another card soon if the HD1 doesn't work out, but that depends on the chassis.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search