The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
huge memory leak with eucon software
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
huge memory leak with eucon software

After getting an error in cubase 6 today after working for a few hours, i thought I'd check my taskmanager.I was surprised when i saw that euconrol.exe was using 1.9 gigabytes of Ram!! hence my error.

i shutdown eucontro; and restarted,eucontrol was now showing about 30 meg which would be normal.

After another 5 hours of working same thing happened, i opened up the taskmanager and again eucontrol.exe was showing 1.3 GB of memory used.

Can anyone else confirm this, it seem quite a serious issue?

see screen shot.

MC
Attached Thumbnails
huge memory leak with eucon software-eucon-memory-leak.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➑️
After getting an error in cubase 6 today after working for a few hours, i thought I'd check my taskmanager.I was surprised when i saw that euconrol.exe was using 1.9 gigabytes of Ram!! hence my error.

i shutdown eucontro; and restarted,eucontrol was now showing about 30 meg which would be normal.

After another 5 hours of working same thing happened, i opened up the taskmanager and again eucontrol.exe was showing 1.3 GB of memory used.

Can anyone else confirm this, it seem quite a serious issue?

see screen shot.

MC
If you are still running the program it is unlikely a leak. Although it could be
if you exited the program and the memory was not released, it is a problem.
and a prolly leak. 1.9 does seem excessive.

The only way to know for sure is to do a heap trace. Which requires a debugger

You wouldn't think a prog would eat so much memory but it may not be an actual bug
though it very well may be.
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Robert,

I killed eucontrol.exe from the task manager, restarted it afresh along with Cubase and set to work again, eucontrol.exe was showing about 30 meg when i restarted work. After 4-5 hours it was back up to the 1.3 gigs in the screen shot.

MC
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Robert,

I killed eucontrol.exe from the task manager, restarted it afresh along with Cubase and set to work again, eucontrol.exe was showing about 30 meg when i restarted work. After 4-5 hours it was back up to the 1.3 gigs in the screen shot.

MC
Hi, yeah but programs use memory that how software works. While a process or program is running it uses memory from the heap, that's normal. If however you exit the program and the memory is not restored to the OS, that is a memory leak.

The behavior you described could be normal. Again if you spawn cubase and after 4 hours it's using 2 gig of ram and then you exit, and the 2 gig is freed up, that is not a memory leak. It simply means the software utilizes 2 gig of memory over time, this is normal. If the memory is not released when you exit the program, that is a memory leak.

when you exit the program, is the memory restored?
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey MC,

That is not normal for the Eucon to consume memory in that manner , if that was on a 32 bit system it would render it inoperable very quickly.

Can you try an overnight test - i.e: At the end of the day - reset the eucontrol , start cubase, load session and leave it overnight idling and see if the memory creeps up again.

I'll do some checking at my end here with some Euphonix clients as well and report back , I'll also have some units here next week as well to do some further digging for you across multiple apps.

FWIW: I had a very similar issue with some Digi Controllers via ethernet a few years back doing exactly the same thing, memory usage just creeping up to exhaustion over a period of time, but I can't remember how I resolved it now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Robert, this in NOT normal software behavior.

Vin, thanks, I now have this confirmed over on the cubase forum, memory is creeping constantly!!!

www.steinberg.net • View topic - eucontrol.exe huge memory leak

Can any PC users here try this in another host like pro tools or Sonar?

I've emailed Avid tech support about this, hope they reply quicker than last time.

cheers
Marcus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Marcus,

No problem.. :-)

I'll stay on this until we get a clearer answer , as I have numerous clients effected.

I have a client doing the overnight idle test with Nuendo 5 / Protools 9 to try and get clarification on whether its something that accumulates with usage within a respective host or just a straight out memory leak with the Eucontrol applet.

It would be great if you can do the overnight test as well if you get the time so we can compare notes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Vin,

It's 7:55 a.m here so you'll have to wait 24 hours before and overnight test :D

I'll be working all day in the studio here so may just try in a break.Is the important thing to NOT have the project playing,just sat idle?
Yesterday with it looped I could see the usage going up every time I checked at 10 minute intervals.

thanks again.

Marcus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK, here's today's figures

started at 16meg at 10:30 and ended up at 1.6 gig at 5:30 pm

here's the screen shots.

MC
Attached Thumbnails
huge memory leak with eucon software-eucontrol-10-30am.jpg   huge memory leak with eucon software-econtrol-5-20-pm.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is the important thing to NOT have the project playing,just sat idle?

Yesterday with it looped I could see the usage going up every time I checked at 10 minute intervals.
Hey Marcus,

If we leave it idle for the first test , it will confirm whether the applet is consuming memory without any activity past being initiated ( classic memory leak ).

If its consuming memory with just a looped area of playback without any automation activity, just simply playing, then we need to narrow down what exactly is accumulating the memory usage if there isn't anything being passed thru the applet apart from active sensing /communication.

If its consuming memory when there is specific activity being past thru, then thats different again.

Either way, something doesn't seem right to me, and the only reason this hasn't hit the wall more so is that most are now running 64 Bit O.S's with a lot more RAM , and with the applet running outside of the memory address space of the DAW Host , the systems are accommodating the extra overhead for the most part.

Still doesn't excuse the memory usage.

This will be interesting what we uncover as we progress.

BTW: Its interesting you hit the memory wall in Cubase 6, what O.S / how much RAM are you running ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vin,

I was using the 32 bit version at the time for some reason. I've been working with x64 most of the time and of course you'd never realise the problem under those circumstances.

I've got an i7 with 12 gigs of ram so a powerful machine

I'll try and do some more testing tomorrow

Marcus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thats definitely a memory leak going on there. Whats happening is the EuControl Software is using a very small amount of RAM for processes but isn't releasing that RAM space when it's finished with it. So after a while, as it continues to use small amounts of RAM it will eventually start to hog it all.

Good thing you got 12GB but still, this ain't good.

Are you running the latest drivers? If not then go for the updates, latest release is this year, otherwise try some of the older drivers.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's very unlikely you are the only one with a problem if there is one.
Have you contacted the vendor? Either way noone here can fix the problem only the vendor can. I imagine you have hit their message board and updated the drivers? Other than that just email their tech support, they may be aware of an issue.
Old 5th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Vin,

I was using the 32 bit version at the time for some reason. I've been working with x64 most of the time and of course you'd never realise the problem under those circumstances.

I've got an i7 with 12 gigs of ram so a powerful machine

I'll try and do some more testing tomorrow

Marcus
Hey Marcus,

My initial thought was that you had tapped all the available RAM, but with 12GB available that would have been the case. With Cubase throwing up the memory error, it is indicating that the Eucontrol is not running in its own separate memory address space as I had thought , but is in fact using Cubase 32Bit's assigned 4GB memory address space, which is even more concerning.. :-(

If its eating 2GB of the available 4GB assigned over the course of the day, that is potentially going to cause huge issues for anyone not running 100% native 64 bit applications/plugs/VI's.

Let us know how the testing goes and/or if AVID responds.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Update; Leaving the project idle saw no memory increase in eucontrol.exe, so, it seems it's only creeping up when the project is playing.

MC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Update; Leaving the project idle saw no memory increase in eucontrol.exe, so, it seems it's only creeping up when the project is playing.
Hey Marcus,

Thanks for that.

It will be interesting to note whether automation/fadar movement information is required for the memory to accumulate , or will it also accumulate if you loop an area without any information being passed thru the Eucontrol.
Old 6th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➑️
Hey Marcus,

Thanks for that.

It will be interesting to note whether automation/fadar movement information is required for the memory to accumulate , or will it also accumulate if you loop an area without any information being passed thru the Eucontrol.
I'll let you know tomorrow :-)

Marcus
Old 6th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vin,

OK I left a project open just looping this morning and the econtrol.exe started using ram, just kept climbing.

I've been working all day today and after about 8 hours of working Eucontrol crashed my system, I checked the task manager and it was up to nearly 3 gigs of ram used by eucontrol!!!

Hope Avid sort this out it's a PIA.

Marcus
Old 7th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Marcus,

That is very concerning that its using the memory address space of the host application to that extent , this is absolutely crippling for those using sample based VI's natively in 32 bit hosts , which is still the vast majority.

If it was using its own separate memory address space it would be far less of an issue, but because its consuming the 4GB memory address space of the host, this is a show stopper !

Out of interest , the session that you were looping , did it have automation events , or is the memory ticking over simply after pressing play ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vin,

The project was using cubase 6 x64,had a handful of audio tracks and a few VSTI's like Kontakt, Halion Sonic, RMX etc and there was NO automation. I just looped an 8 bar section and let it play.

As I said yesterday i had been working about 8 hours when suddenly i got 'Econtrol has stopped working' error and my machine ground to a halt. When i got control back of my DAW I checked the taskmanager and it was up to 3 gigs of ram used for eucontrol.
I'm not sure the error was memory related as I'm all x64 and have 12 gigs of ram so my total ram use was around 6 gigs.

Marcus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Marcus,

O.K, that has clarified a few things for me.

So no automation/fadar movements, etc, simply pressing play on the transport gets the meter running.. :-(

BTW: I misunderstood your earlier post about the error message, thinking it was the typical Cubendo 32Bit out of memory error , which led me to believe that Eucontrol was chewing the 4GB memory address space assigned to the host DAW, but if you are using Cubase 64Bit and getting a specific Eucontrol error , thats throwing up an even bigger can of worms as it indicates its not a Host memory address issue at all, and more than likely Eucontrol is running its own dedicated memory address space.

Question is , why is it tanking the system when there are huge memory reserves left ?

I have a few guys locally on this already , luckily they haven't hit the same wall as yet even on Cubendo 32Bit / Win7 x64 , but its concerning to say the least.

I'll stay on it and let you know if I get any answers from my end.

Old 8th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cool

Quick Heads Up..

AVID support have officially acknowledged the issue and are now investigating.

We can keep a closer eye Here
Old 9th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks Vin,

Still haven't heard back from Avid myself and I emailed them before my first post here but I'm glad it's been recognised. I wonder if it is still actually euphonix as a separate company that deal with all this rather than AVID, I don't want to be hard on AVID if it's actually Euphonix who are rubbish with replying to tech support, I mean it's only taken them 3 years to write this driver......not the best result... tutt

Can't believe I was the first to find this.....Beta testers???????

MC
Old 18th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
on the DUC forums they have said they are "fixing" the issue --
hoping it is soon, and not like 6 months soon!

my system has a 14 gb of ram (mac pro 2.8 ghz 8core running win 7) and when I am doing bigger composing projects (10+gb of ram in use) this creates a pretty big issue...

not a terrible first windows release... I guess if it is is crippling a project one can do the ye' ol run it off a macbook trick - but i am hoping we are past that

Anyone heard a guestimation when eucon 2.5.8 will drop?
Old 19th April 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
My EuControl exe is only using 80 megs right now and the project has been up for 12 hours. So this only happens in continuous playing?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Is this potentially a Mac issue as well or just Wind?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
My EuControl exe is only using 80 megs right now and the project has been up for 12 hours. So this only happens in continuous playing?
We proved that the session idling overnight didn't cause the creep, only when playing.

@ Mowing Devil,

Only Win7 x64 from reports so far, MAC is unaffected as far as I know.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➑️
We proved that the session idling overnight didn't cause the creep, only when playing.

@ Mowing Devil,

Only Win7 x64 from reports so far, MAC is unaffected as far as I know.
Why would you continuously play overnight? heh
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
There was mention in the avid press from nab that they were previewing eucontrol 2.6

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 21st April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
good, i hope it sorts this out

MC
πŸ“ Reply