The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Setting up my studio new studio (SSL, BAE, PMC ...)
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Maniac

Setting up my studio new studio (SSL, BAE, PMC ...)

Hi All,

I started to build my studio with new equipment and im asking myself some things about setting this up:

I have this equipment:

SSL Alpha Link Madi SX
Benchmark DAC1
RME Madi HDSP
1084 EQ/PRE
Neumann U87 Vintage
PMC TB2S mkii
Juno 6 Synthesizer
Cubase 5.5.2
different vst's

So this is how i want to use the equipment:

I will connect the SSL Alpha Link via Madi to the RME madi hdsp

monitor speakers will go via AES from SSL to Benchmark DAC1

The Synths, Mic --> Pre, Comp via the analog in of the SSL Alpha Link Madi. Finally i will work in Cubase.

So i know this is standard.

But im really new to the outboard equipment business. Had friends who made all the tech stuff in our old studio and never cared about i know i know...tutt

So, what things do i need to take care of? What problems can i expect? Whats the best way to setup this everything. Will i just install the stuff, make the routing on the SSL Alpha link with the in/out and it'll work?
Of course i read @ SSL, rme aso...but to be honest, its sometimes quite difficult to understand everything what they write if you don't know much about working with this equipment. English is not my motherlanguage, so this might be another problem

Are there any sites which show how to setup a studio. I know a big question with lots of points to discuss. Is anyone willing to give me some infos how to setup this correctly and to share some love?

Thanks alot and all the best

Aris
Old 31st December 2012
Here for the gear

Sorry for reviving this thread but I'm hoping there's one thing you can explain to me. Why is it that you connect the Benchmark through a digital connection from the SSL? Did you get the Benchmark especially for this? That would especially confuse me >.<

Wouldn't it be better to use the digital to analog conversion within the SSL unit and send an analog line signal to an amplifier which you'd have connected to your speakers? Is the reason simply because you don't have a dedicated amplifier or because you want to use the Benchmark DAC vs. the SSL for some reason or something else altogether?

Thanks! An answer would VERY MUCH be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out a setup for myself which seems to closely resemeble yours in a few ways.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search