The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
hands on, eyes off the screen
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

hands on, eyes off the screen

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a solid interface to minimize any mouse work...
Now since there's plenty of options out there I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I use a lot of virtual instruments and plugin effects, so I need something that immediately recognizes and displays all parameters without having to map anything manually...

Also I'd prefer if it would show only the current window parameters: ex. I'm looking at the DAW mixer, Iwant the surface to show only mixer parameters: vol, pan sends etc... I'm looking at a compressor, I only see the compressor parameters etc... to avoid making confusion...

Apparently the EuCon MC Control behaves like this but I use pro tools and I heard there's no compatibility with third party plugins...
Also looking at makies, though they seem to show more parameters then what you're actually looking at...ex: if on a channel I have a compressor and an EQ it shows parameters from both at the same time...

At the end of the day if there isn't something just the way I want it I guess I'll go for a makie, for compatibility. One question I had was this, if I get a makie control (the one with the faders and trasport) does it allow me to edit third party plugin parameters right away (no manual mapping etc)? I know their C4 controller with the 32 knobs does it so I guess it should...

So what do you guys suggest? Budget is around 1500

SN: Looking on the avid website apparently they introduced EuCon system in pro tools 9 so issues with the Mc Control should be over... any one tried this?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear
I recommend getting 2 controllers, one for plugins (especially for virtual instruments) and the other for DAW/transport control

Novation products and their automap software are great for controlling plugins, there are default mappings for most plugs or it maps all the controls on with a new plug, then its easy to change the mappings yourself and their saved (for any other DAW you use too).

Then a DAW/transport controller etc like a Mackie or the other options

A controller that does both is possible with either but its generally kinda sucky i.e. soft synths are hell on a mackie but transport and general daw and plugins like EQ/Comp are great.

automap immediately adapts when you open up a plugins window its great. Novation products (I own the nocturn) can do DAW control via HUI etc but its not as great as something with motorised faders and always feels a little clumsy and not quite logical for that purpose.

Anyway thats my 2cents and the way I've setup my project studio
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post
I recommend getting 2 controllers, one for plugins (especially for virtual instruments) and the other for DAW/transport control

Novation products and their automap software are great for controlling plugins, there are default mappings for most plugs or it maps all the controls on with a new plug, then its easy to change the mappings yourself and their saved (for any other DAW you use too).

A controller that does both is possible with either but its generally kinda sucky i.e. soft synths are hell on a mackie but transport and general daw and plugins like EQ/Comp are great.

automap immediately adapts when you open up a plugins window its great. Novation products (I own the nocturn) can do DAW control via HUI etc but its not as great as something with motorised faders and always feels a little clumsy and not quite logical for that purpose.

I defenately have to check out novations, however I'm still tingling about this mc control from euphonix, I'm considering getting pro tools 9 if it's fully compatible now... I'd have to try it first though before dropping all that cash... has anyone tried the MC control with PT 9 yet?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just switched from a Axiom to a Novation SL for controlling the Virtual synths and plug-ins, for the DAW I am using the Tascam FW-1082 unit, and really like it a lot. At less than $300 used it was a steal!

I have not found a keyboard controller that can handle the mixing, short faders suck! Go for at least 80mm throw, motorized if possible for the DAW control of mixing.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensaddiction View Post

That makes a lot of sense to me.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronte23 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a solid interface to minimize any mouse work...
Now since there's plenty of options out there I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I use a lot of virtual instruments and plugin effects, so I need something that immediately recognizes and displays all parameters without having to map anything manually...

Also I'd prefer if it would show only the current window parameters: ex. I'm looking at the DAW mixer, Iwant the surface to show only mixer parameters: vol, pan sends etc... I'm looking at a compressor, I only see the compressor parameters etc... to avoid making confusion...

Apparently the EuCon MC Control behaves like this but I use pro tools and I heard there's no compatibility with third party plugins...
Also looking at makies, though they seem to show more parameters then what you're actually looking at...ex: if on a channel I have a compressor and an EQ it shows parameters from both at the same time...

At the end of the day if there isn't something just the way I want it I guess I'll go for a makie, for compatibility. One question I had was this, if I get a makie control (the one with the faders and trasport) does it allow me to edit third party plugin parameters right away (no manual mapping etc)? I know their C4 controller with the 32 knobs does it so I guess it should...

So what do you guys suggest? Budget is around 1500

SN: Looking on the avid website apparently they introduced EuCon system in pro tools 9 so issues with the Mc Control should be over... any one tried this?
Paraphrase:

I would like to fly to the moon. While doing so, I would like to receive fellatio from Natalie Portman, while eating marshmellow flavored hotdogs.

My budget is $1500.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search