The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Duet Causing Random Kernel Panics Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

Apogee Duet Causing Random Kernel Panics

Hello all,

I finally made the decision to purchase an Apogee Duet, but to my disappointment, it has been randomly experiencing kernel panics even while simply playing music in iTunes!

I've spent around a dozen hours trying to figure out the cause with no solution. I thought a Duet, Macbook Pro, and Garageband/iTunes would be a fairly textbook recording set up, but I was wrong. I emailed Apogee but don't expect a reply.

My system: freshly built OS on a 15" Unibody MBP 5,3, 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, OS Snow Leopard 10.6.5, latest drivers drivers sept'09 from Apogee's website.

I tried the same Duet on a Mac Pro running Leopard with no problems. An Ensemble on my system does not crash either. Changed, the cable, reinstalled my OS.

I'm going to try a new Duet and see if it's possible to downgrade my OS to Leopard. I might try pulling out half my RAM (as discussed on this forum). Worst case scenario is taking my laptop into the Mac Store or even purchasing a new MBP.

Any suggestions from those with similar experiences? There was some talk on a previous thread about extracting the firewire.kext from a previous OS - suggesting it's an Apple firewire driver issue. However I'm not really sure how to do this.

Thank you.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

That sounds a shame mate ...

Best take it to Apple and get them to have a look at it. Could be any number of things, maybe a dodgy FireWire port?

Hope you get it fixed - I've also got a Duet that I sometimes use and have never come across what you experiencing, sounds really odd.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search