The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic's Test Oscillators - any way to play them like synths? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Logic's Test Oscillators - any way to play them like synths?

I really like playing around with Logic's Test Oscillator inserts. I started off just using the Sine Wave set really low for sub-bass and getting kick drums to trigger them to beef up kicks.

But since then I've been using the other tones too, pitching them up and down, adding effects plug-ins etc. You can do so much just by EQing them - adding some judiciously EQd Pink Noise here and there really helps to fill-in a mix.

Thing is, as they are all constant tones, the only way I can "play" them, is by setting up noise gates with side-chains and using other instruments to trigger them. Or doing some automated muting.

Could I use any of Logic's synths to make myself some equivalents of Logic's Test Oscillator tones? (Sine Wave, Square Wave, White Noise, Pink Noise and Needle Pulse) Anyone out there ever done this?
Old 3rd January 2011
Sure, in fact most of Logic's synths can do this.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks, I imagined they could.

But I struggle to get simple sounds out of Logic's synths. I find turning everything off, getting simple, pure tones such as sine waves, much more difficult than getting thick detailed big sounds: my approach to Logic's synths so far has always been to turn controls until it sounds good, rather than methodically generating a pure, specific sound that I'm after.

Could anyone give me any clues? Which synth or synths would you use? Maybe I should go out Googling for youtube tutorials.

I mean, I know Pink Noise theoretically contains every frequency in it (right?) but I'd have no idea how to go about generating it in a synth.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Think all of the Logic VI's have init patches, which usually gives you 1 of each block active (osc, filter etc) or in some cases no filter.

For Logic's synths start here with the simple ones:
Using Logic's built-in Synths

Then the ES2:
ES2: Logic's Most Sophisticated Virtual Analogue Synth

Of course you could sample the test osc output and use that in exs24:
Expressive Sound Design With EXS24

Sculpture & Ultrabeat are Logic instruments that don't use oscillators in the normal "Virtual Analog" way:
Logic Pro: Getting The Most Out Of Sculpture
Logic: Understanding Ultrabeat

Lastly you could probably even 'play' the test osc plugin using a highly customized environment rig to do all the gating/muting/pitch etc you want (up to full envelope & pitch control) but that would be more of a learning exercise than productive workpath imo.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

thanks. hadn't thought of sampling them in EXS24! That sounds like the laziest option, so probably the one I'll favour for now!
Old 4th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
The init saw in the ES2 has the wrong absolute polarity, if I remember correctly.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
The init saw in the ES2 has the wrong absolute polarity, if I remember correctly.
Good to note, I don't think I've actually used the init patch since 5.x or so...
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

This guy explains each synth in Logic. Great video tutorials:

YouTube - TerryGuide's Channel
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search