The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear
Hey songloft

N4 is not so terrifying. It can be learnt. Skins are pretty easy to apply and something called setups is in the pipeline which will let you turn N4 libraries into standalone plugs like we do in N3. Don't forget that eqs are single band (a blessing in minimalism IMO)

As for sound, I prefer Nebula as I think it's more authentic, and think the aquas I've tried are too polished. You have to trial the aquas to see if it's for you. All I can say is that the major Neb devs are pretty accurate so even if there is no demo, you can be pretty sure the library does what it supposed to. Exception are early neb comps or current ones by Alex B which are meant for flavor only.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Hey songloft

N4 is not so terrifying. It can be learnt. Skins are pretty easy to apply and something called setups is in the pipeline which will let you turn N4 libraries into standalone plugs like we do in N3. Don't forget that eqs are single band (a blessing in minimalism IMO)

As for sound, I prefer Nebula as I think it's more authentic, and think the aquas I've tried are too polished. You have to trial the aquas to see if it's for you. All I can say is that the major Neb devs are pretty accurate so even if there is no demo, you can be pretty sure the library does what it supposed to. Exception are early neb comps or current ones by Alex B which are meant for flavor only.
What u mean by polished btw?
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Head

Is it safe to assume that Nebula is much less of a CPU hit than Aqua ?
With Pro Tools AAX and a 2010 Mac Pro, some of the Aqua's are almost unusable.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft View Post
Is it safe to assume that Nebula is much less of a CPU hit than Aqua ?
With Pro Tools AAX and a 2010 Mac Pro, some of the Aqua's are almost unusable.
Yes, an Aqua is basically (in simplistic terms) multiple Nebula instances. A single N4 instance uses less resources than an Aqua.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
What u mean by polished btw?
Polished is just my way saying that the Aquas I've tried lacked a certain rawness or grit. Vintage hardware has lots of beautiful limitations, which is why there are so many choices, with each one addressing a limitation in another (whilst bringing its own set of limitations). The art of hardware mixing is not just setting a threshold or a Q, but choosing the right gear for the sound you're after.

While Nebulas capture that well, I don't hear that in Aquas. Those I tried seemed to gravitate towards mastering purity. They still have depth and quality, missing in most algos, but to me they can do too much! Purple was used as an example a year or two back - people found they could use it for mastering, quite unlike the hardware or some of the N3 libraries. They pretty much agreed it was great for mastering, but if you wanted to use it like hardware you had to dial the top end way back.

I heard the same thing in Sand/L-Bus or Pink/Lunchpail. Aquas are in no way bad, but for me they are more 'inspired by' and 'improved' than clones. Aquas might be what hardware designers wanted to build back in the day, but I for one am glad they couldn't,

Your mileage should vary, of course.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Anyone interested in paying JPN to skin CDSM's Helios preamp/EQ?
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Polished is just my way saying that the Aquas I've tried lacked a certain rawness or grit. Vintage hardware has lots of beautiful limitations, which is why there are so many choices, with each one addressing a limitation in another (whilst bringing its own set of limitations). The art of hardware mixing is not just setting a threshold or a Q, but choosing the right gear for the sound you're after.

While Nebulas capture that well, I don't hear that in Aquas. Those I tried seemed to gravitate towards mastering purity. They still have depth and quality, missing in most algos, but to me they can do too much! Purple was used as an example a year or two back - people found they could use it for mastering, quite unlike the hardware or some of the N3 libraries. They pretty much agreed it was great for mastering, but if you wanted to use it like hardware you had to dial the top end way back.

I heard the same thing in Sand/L-Bus or Pink/Lunchpail. Aquas are in no way bad, but for me they are more 'inspired by' and 'improved' than clones. Aquas might be what hardware designers wanted to build back in the day, but I for one am glad they couldn't,

Pink sounds slightly artificial there is obvious ringing heard the same.in Diamond.
Probabbly it depends who sampled it most onboard Nebula libs are ****e anyway its the Timp Alex B Compyfox and Aitb who.made the difference.

I heard some depth in the Acustica compressors but the eqs I tried didn't sound better then algos just louder. .With Nebula eqs there its no contest really I didn't buy hw because of it
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
Pink sounds slightly artificial there is obvious ringing heard the same.in Diamond.
Probabbly it depends who sampled it most onboard Nebula libs are ****e anyway its the Timp Alex B Compyfox and Aitb who.made the difference.

I heard some depth in the Acustica compressors but the eqs I tried didn't sound better then algos just louder. .With Nebula eqs there its no contest really I didn't buy hw because of it
Out of interest - what Nebula EQs are you speaking of?

Ruby and Azure are both fantastic.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Out of interest - what Nebula EQs are you speaking of?

Ruby and Azure are both fantastic.
Alex B Massive Passive, the 5500, Clariphonic,Surge ,Even the.modded Tla Crimson its.top notch.The bax its nice as well.

Azure its aitb must be good their.massive passive was ace.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
With the perspective of what's coming down the pipeline, if you were just getting "into the game" at this point, would you stick with Aqua ?
No, in 2018 Nebula 4 will be a focus of AA so I would add Nebula as another powerful tool to my workflow. After I added Nebula 4 I would grab the free HO "All You Can Eat" library. There is soooooo much more available in Nebula and I want those tool options.

Quote:
I like to having a few great tools that I know well and companies that I know will offer future support + compatibility. I'm excited to delve into Ebony, Gold and Lemon.
Yes, those are some of my favorite Aqua's.

Quote:
Or do the TimP compressors for instance still totally smoke what AA (and co-developers) have done with Aqua compression ?
They are different. AA's comps feature many more options but while Tim's are simple they are killer sounding. Tim's Opto 3A will change how you view a plugin comp, it's just that good with a few knobs. There is a place for both tools just like a simple 1176 next to a complicated Vertigo comp or an LA3A next to a Crane Song Traker..... all compress in different ways and each sound different. We pick the tools that get us where we want to go with the color we want to color with.

Quote:
For instance is L-bus and the Sand bus compressor on equal footing ?
Equal footing yes, where Sand has a cleaner edge more like the XLogic bus comp and L-Bus is a dirtier 4000ish grab. Both have uses as tools depending on your needs.

Quote:
I understand a lot of this is personal taste but the progress AA have made with Core 11 vs say Core 7 with regards to compression, are very noticeable to me.
Yes all of this is personal opinion based so it must be taken as just that. AA has come a LONG way the past 3 years IMHO and the future is looking good for them. Each year AA move forward and keep improving their tech, delivery system and customer interaction.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
setups is in the pipeline which will let you turn N4 libraries into standalone plugs like we do in N3. Don't forget that eqs are single band (a blessing in minimalism IMO
N4 setups hit Alpha this last week..... setups is now a part of N4 internally making it easier and faster to build a setup, we even get to designate a default program within the setup to load. Editing a setup is fast and easy too. N4 users are going to be happy with the new setups Zap has cooked up.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
N4 setups hit Alpha this last week..... setups is now a part of N4 internally making it easier and faster to build a setup, we even get to designate a default program within the setup to load. Editing a setup is fast and easy too. N4 users are going to be happy with the new setups Zap has cooked up.
Huzzah! Can't wait :¬)
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

We are still Alpha testing the new feature SETUPS within N-4.

Pleased to say that things have been solid at this stage.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Head

All great info and thanks for the responses.
Sounds like an exciting time to jump into Nebula or at least an inflection point.

One last question: Are any of the well known 3rd party developers
embracing N4 ? Or any new companies to keep an eye out for ?

I get the feeling a lot of the most loved Nebula offerings are a few years old at this point and all written with N3 tech? ( although I think Tim P had new releases ?)

thanks again
-C
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
All great info and thanks for the responses.
Sounds like an exciting time to jump into Nebula or at least an inflection point.

One last question: Are any of the well known 3rd party developers
embracing N4 ? Or any new companies to keep an eye out for ?

I get the feeling a lot of the most loved Nebula offerings are a few years old at this point and all written with N3 tech? ( although I think Tim P had new releases ?)

thanks again
-C
As of today the only older 3rd party dev I know that is in for N4 is Analog in The Box (AITB) and AITB just did the Azure Acqua EQ with AA.

All N3 libraries work within N4, but most just use the stock skin. Almost all of Tim P's libraries have N4 skins and and work perfect with N4, Cupwise has N4 skins for some of his new libraries.... JPN has been making N4 skins for Alex B's libraries too. So IMHO using N4 is with any Nebula library is ok today, and just getting better.
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

U guys still use the mojo.series which one worked for u the most?For me.definetely was the Chiswick Reach this beast have very dark.and fat sound.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
C'mon Will, that's a kinda harsh tease. :D Surely you can tease us just a little bit more?

Are we talking about something completely new or expanding on something old?
For those who are interested in this new thing, they should follow jpn's skins profile on facebook.

There are clue's and more are coming.

Imo this will be one of the handiest tools ever existed in nebula!
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
For those who are interested in this new thing, they should follow jpn's skins profile on facebook.

Then only we have one most important question: "when?"
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Final testing will take place this weekend.

What we have can again can only be accomplished by unique custom templates via the xml at this time.
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post

Sustain?
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I agree ... to my ears hearing Alex B and Tim P opened up my eyes that things can be sampled with a different overall texture that shows the raw grain of the hardware while still sounding smoother and bigger, more casual. Acquas do sound good but I wish that they had less of a 'gloss film on the transients' imo. I turn the input trim on Acquas down to counter this but then something else gets lost doing so. (edit: just had a brief listen to the Azure demo and it seems to be much better with this one) But then again the workflow of Acquas is a very nice thing. I wish Alex B and Tim P were allowed to do Acquas using their sampling chain and approach. imho.

Last edited by gearsuser; 23rd February 2018 at 10:24 AM..
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
I agree ... to my ears hearing Alex B and Tim P opened up my eyes that things can be sampled with a different overall texture that shows the raw grain of the hardware while still sounding smoother and bigger, more casual. Acquas do sound good but I wish that they had less of a 'gloss film on the transients' imo. I turn the input trim on Acquas down to counter this but then something else gets lost doing so. (edit: just had a brief listen to the Azure demo and it seems to be much better with this one) But then again the workflow of Acquas is a very nice thing. I wish Alex B and Tim P were allowed to do Acquas using their sampling chain and approach. imho.
I agree. But then AITB did Azure, and obviously Doug Fearn was involved in Ruby, so maybe there can be some future stuff involving the two Tims and AlexB.....just seems such obvious win win for all it is plain daft not to.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I agree. But then AITB did Azure, and obviously Doug Fearn was involved in Ruby, so maybe there can be some future stuff involving the two Tims and AlexB.....just seems such obvious win win for all it is plain daft not to.
Thought this for a while also. The console/EQ/comp Aqua they could make together would be off the charts.
Old 23rd February 2018
Hey all,

Martel80 has asked (and probably others) but I haven’t seen a response:

Is Cupwise’s Smooth 609A Buscomp a gem? I really love his C660 - regardless of any lacking tech the tone and his ear for capturing is really nice and super useful for me. I have Flucti-Mew of course also, but never picked up 609 - is it worth a looksee in you all’s opinion?

Thanks,
MG
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
Hey all,

Martel80 has asked (and probably others) but I haven’t seen a response:

Is Cupwise’s Smooth 609A Buscomp a gem? I really love his C660 - regardless of any lacking tech the tone and his ear for capturing is really nice and super useful for me. I have Flucti-Mew of course also, but never picked up 609 - is it worth a looksee in you all’s opinion?

Thanks,
MG
Yes, though you'll get used to needing the HPF if using it as a buss comp.
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Seems like TimP has cooked up a Transient Designer!!! Just seen the video on JPN Skins Facebook page.

I use the Waves Trans X but always loved the simplicity and punch of the hardware.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Seems like TimP has cooked up a Transient Designer!!! Just seen the video on JPN Skins Facebook page.

I use the Waves Trans X but always loved the simplicity and punch of the hardware.
It works too, so much for Nebula tech not being able to do it, lol.
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Really looking forward to it...
Old 23rd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
It works too, so much for Nebula tech not being able to do it, lol.
Awesome!! Can’t wait to purchase it!! I’m slowly buying all TimPs libraries. L Bus and DualTech are incredible and on my mixbuss 95% of the time day in day out!!
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post

Nice. Big fan of Softube's Transient Designer, use it all the time for electronic stuff.

Can't wait to try Tim's!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search