The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 14th February 2018
  #2851
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

smack = api 225 ?
Old 14th February 2018
  #2852
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
smack = api 225 ?
No. Dbx 160vu.

Lunchpail is his API emulation.
Old 14th February 2018
  #2853
Lives for gear
Important to note that Cup's VU has adjustable attack and release, unlike the original. May explain why some people don't think its a DBX.
Old 15th February 2018
  #2854
Gear Addict
 
bukarin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Important to note that Cup's VU has adjustable attack and release, unlike the original. May explain why some people don't think its a DBX.
I thought it could be DBX 165 which has a VU Meter and adjustable attack and release! In many ways the 165 is better than the 160 but they don't seem to get much love and generally go for less on the used market!
Old 16th February 2018
  #2855
Gear Nut
Which one should i buy next?

1. Blue Mu
2. U76
3. 100a
4. other (name it)

...already have Opto 3a, Vari-level, Lunchpail, Flucti-mew, Germanium...
Old 16th February 2018
  #2856
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
1. Blue Mu
2. U76
3. 100a
4. other (name it)

...already have Opto 3a, Vari-level, Lunchpail, Flucti-mew, Germanium...
I say Sum 100a if you want more tube color or U76 as everyone should have a quality 76 when needed.
Old 16th February 2018
  #2857
Gear Addict
 
leckel1996's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
1. Blue Mu
2. U76
3. 100a
4. other (name it)

...already have Opto 3a, Vari-level, Lunchpail, Flucti-mew, Germanium...
My vote would go to L-Bus. It's my most used Nebula compressor. Makes it on the mixbus of almost every mix I do.
Old 16th February 2018
  #2858
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
1. Blue Mu
2. U76
3. 100a
4. other (name it)

...already have Opto 3a, Vari-level, Lunchpail, Flucti-mew, Germanium...
I'd say go with the U76.

Great library ! Very useful.
Old 16th February 2018
  #2859
Lives for gear
Not beause its GAS but because you genuinly need all three, I think think order based on what you have is this, each filling the biggest hole in your arsenal:

1 Sum 100A - for tube juice
2 L Bus - great but Lunchpail can cover bus duties for now... (I know its different)
3 U76 - you have 1/2 a 76 in the Opto 3A.

Really, the joy of Nebula is that you can buy all of these plus the DBX 160s, Neve Comps, there's a Fairchild and Elysia and loads more. And all of them for the price of an Aqua?

Once you have a serious collection and once you begin to understand how and when to use them, your mixes quickly go into the stratosphere. Forget all this talk about using your ears and stock plugs to get a great mix. It's true, but so what? Whoever said great was good enough?
Old 16th February 2018
  #2860
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
1. Blue Mu
2. U76
3. 100a
4. other (name it)

...already have Opto 3a, Vari-level, Lunchpail, Flucti-mew, Germanium...
U76 and L-BUS.
Old 16th February 2018
  #2861
Gear Nut
Thanks people! I'think 100a would be first... getting L-bus on my list...
So why no love for Blue mu?
Old 17th February 2018
  #2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Not beause its GAS but because you genuinly need all three, I think think order based on what you have is this, each filling the biggest hole in your arsenal:

1 Sum 100A - for tube juice
2 L Bus - great but Lunchpail can cover bus duties for now... (I know its different)
3 U76 - you have 1/2 a 76 in the Opto 3A.

Really, the joy of Nebula is that you can buy all of these plus the DBX 160s, Neve Comps, there's a Fairchild and Elysia and loads more. And all of them for the price of an Aqua?

Once you have a serious collection and once you begin to understand how and when to use them, your mixes quickly go into the stratosphere. Forget all this talk about using your ears and stock plugs to get a great mix. It's true, but so what? Whoever said great was good enough?
Just spent 2 weeks demoing all the UAD plugins on an Octo Satellite unit that came with 4 of their top console emulations. Over the course of that study, I slowly started removing UAD plugins from the mix and putting my favorite comparable Nebula's back in. At the end of this big mixing session most of the UADs are gone and I'm back to my AlexBs, Tim Ps, etc..

It would be so nice to have my 40 gigs of Nebula on a Satellite DSP unit, the only advantage in the end of my Octo purchase. UA has some nice plugs but the $ difference and what you can get in Nebula or even Aqua for the same dough is crazy. IMHO, of course.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2863
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Just spent 2 weeks demoing all the UAD plugins on an Octo Satellite unit that came with 4 of their top console emulations. Over the course of that study, I slowly started removing UAD plugins from the mix and putting my favorite comparable Nebula's back in. At the end of this big mixing session most of the UADs are gone and I'm back to my AlexBs, Tim Ps, etc..

It would be so nice to have my 40 gigs of Nebula on a Satellite DSP unit, the only advantage in the end of my Octo purchase. UA has some nice plugs but the $ difference and what you can get in Nebula or even Aqua for the same dough is crazy. IMHO, of course.
Hello,

Plese share your favorite Nebula plugins that you finally find better than the UAD.
I am a UAD user, but will like to enter the Nebula world too.
Thanks for sharing.
I love everything with colour, weight, nevish sounding, density....

Regards

Sergio
Old 17th February 2018
  #2864
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Start with the free HO "All You Can Eat".
Old 17th February 2018
  #2865
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Start with the free HO "All You Can Eat".
Thanks but I want the best mojo plugins
Old 17th February 2018
  #2866
Gear Maniac
 
SMaus's Avatar
 

... and that's the reason why you should try HO "All You Can Eat". Just because it's free doesn't mean it's bad. Henry did an outstanding job.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2867
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
I thought it could be DBX 165 which has a VU Meter and adjustable attack and release! In many ways the 165 is better than the 160 but they don't seem to get much love and generally go for less on the used market!
More versatile but not better dbx. 160 its one trick pony but good trick.The sknote version is quite good if u need that sound.I don't think dbx is something algos.cant emulate well they struggle with colored gear.I prefer the old drawmers tough they are cheaper then plugs but no plug could touch this sound.The attack is ultra fast on the dl 221
Old 17th February 2018
  #2868
Gear Addict
 
bukarin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
More versatile but not better dbx. 160 its one trick pony but good trick.The sknote version is quite good if u need that sound.I don't think dbx is something algos.cant emulate well they struggle with colored gear.I prefer the old drawmers tough they are cheaper then plugs but no plug could touch this sound.The attack is ultra fast on the dl 221
Well better noise/headroom, variable attack and release AND Auto mode which is close to the DBX160 'trick'. I like both personally and I was shown by senior engineers to make sure the needles barley even register a movement! So easy over squash with an old dbx...
Old 17th February 2018
  #2869
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks but I want the best mojo plugins
You ask, I answered and this is how you respond..... Really?

Best of luck there buddy.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2870
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
... and that's the reason why you should try HO "All You Can Eat". Just because it's free doesn't mean it's bad. Henry did an outstanding job.
Don't waste your time SMaus, it clear he's not actually interested in honest answers..... you can only help those who want to help themselves.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2871
Lives for gear
 

Maybe its' just being unaware of what the 'HO "All You Can Eat"' contains, and how it came to be free.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2872
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Maybe its' just being unaware of what the 'HO "All You Can Eat"' contains, and how it came to be free.
I'm sure he has no clue RJ, especially considering his ignorant response, lol. I just find it amusing that someone would ask a question on a topic they know little about, get an answer then instantly dismiss the answer outright...... it's the funniest thing I've seen on GS in a long time, lol.

To each their own.
Old 17th February 2018
  #2873
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMaus View Post
... and that's the reason why you should try HO "All You Can Eat". Just because it's free doesn't mean it's bad. Henry did an outstanding job.
Bad? Ho Clariphonic its of one the best eqs itb the midrange sounds 1:1 with the hw. ..its freaks you out how good is it..
Old 18th February 2018
  #2874
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'm sure he has no clue RJ, especially considering his ignorant response, lol. I just find it amusing that someone would ask a question on a topic they know little about, get an answer then instantly dismiss the answer outright...... it's the funniest thing I've seen on GS in a long time, lol.

To each their own.
Thanks a lot . I appreciate .
Just wanna get to the very best fast.
Understand
Old 18th February 2018
  #2875
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks a lot . I appreciate .
Just wanna get to the very best fast.
Understand
Anyone who uses the word 'best' should listen carefully to those who know there is no such thing. And if you rush you will never get there.

Understand?
Old 18th February 2018
  #2876
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks a lot . I appreciate .
Just wanna get to the very best fast.
Understand
If that were actually true you would be listening to the answers others are giving you, not dismissing them without reason.
Old 18th February 2018
  #2877
Lives for gear
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
If that were actually true you would be listening to the answers others are giving you, not dismissing them without reason.
I am not dismissing anubody.
You are just building conflict
Peace
Sergio
Old 20th February 2018
  #2878
Lives for gear
 
drezz's Avatar
Sergio..............

.Henry Olonga's stuff is really good. Check it out, it's free but that doesnt mean it's not some of the best Nebula can offer.

There are so many libraries. Tim Petherick, Cupwise, AITB, Alex B, these and more developers should be checked out.

Thing is, you will need to do some research. There are some fantastic libraries, but your preferences will be different to others, so you will need to try things. There is no quick and easy way, but they do sound better than UAD, so it's worth persevering if sonics are your goal.....................
Old 21st February 2018
  #2879
Gear Head
 

Hello All,

I've be slowly learning about Acustica Audio. Obviously the Aqua offerings are more approachable for a newcomer, as it takes more research to find 3rd party developers.

With the perspective of what's coming down the pipeline, if you were just getting "into the game" at this point, would you stick with Aqua ?

I like to having a few great tools that I know well and companies that I know will offer future support + compatibility. I'm excited to delve into Ebony, Gold and Lemon.

Or do the TimP compressors for instance still totally smoke what AA (and co-developers) have done with Aqua compression ?

For instance is L-bus and the Sand bus compressor on equal footing ?

I understand a lot of this is personal taste but the progress AA have made with Core 11 vs say Core 7 with regards to compression, are very noticeable to me.
Old 21st February 2018
  #2880
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongLoft View Post
Hello All,

I've be slowly learning about Acustica Audio. Obviously the Aqua offerings are more approachable for a newcomer, as it takes more research to find 3rd party developers.

With the perspective of what's coming down the pipeline, if you were just getting "into the game" at this point, would you stick with Aqua ?

I like to having a few great tools that I know well and companies that I know will offer future support + compatibility. I'm excited to delve into Ebony, Gold and Lemon.

Or do the TimP compressors for instance still totally smoke what AA (and co-developers) have done with Aqua compression ?

For instance is L-bus and the Sand bus compressor on equal footing ?

I understand a lot of this is personal taste but the progress AA have made with Core 11 vs say Core 7 with regards to compression, are very noticeable to me.
They are susposed to be the same tech but Aqua sounds more artificial.somehow or not.so analog as Timp Alex b libs they are just shockingly analog.sounding
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump