The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear
Agreed. And though I'll try Ruby and might buy Coral, I've not felt like Nebula has left me wanting. Not raining on Aquas but if your sleeves are already rolled up...
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Hello,

Is there a Nebula plugin for the API 2500 compressor ?
And for Manley Vari-mu ?
Thanks
Sergio
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Tim Petherick's Dual Tech Tube Passive EQ v2 vs Acustica Audio's Purple

Hi,
how does Tim Petherick's Dual Tech Tube Passive EQ v2 to Acustica Audio's Purple? Does one sound more authentic than the other?
Or are they on the same level and the AA Acqua workflow and the addition of Purple M5 in the bundle jmake it such a big plus that it is just more recommendable in comparison?

Many thanks for sharing your experience!

...or is there something else that is the Tube Tech EQ that you'd rather suggest instead? (Alex b,...)
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,
how does Tim Petherick's Dual Tech Tube Passive EQ v2 to Acustica Audio's Purple? Does one sound more authentic than the other?
Or are they on the same level and the AA Acqua workflow and the addition of Purple M5 in the bundle jmake it such a big plus that it is just more recommendable in comparison?

Many thanks for sharing your experience!

...or is there something else that is the Tube Tech EQ that you'd rather suggest instead? (Alex b,...)
Tim's Pultec is the closest to a real sounding Pultec IMHO, it's got that darker Pultec tone and is a great EQ. That being said I love it on channels, but Purple is very open and can work magic on the 2 bus unlike a real Pultec. So I can highly recommend Tim's Dual Tech and I suggest you demo Purple....... and also demo the new Ruby, as it is the DW Fearn Pultec style EQ and the smoothest EQ you'll ever use in a computer.

Acqua's win in workflow as they are multi-Nebula libraries while Nebula is single library only, so we stack Nebula's. There are some Nebula libraries that do have a workflow advantage, but they are mostly comps from Tim P. EQ's in Nebula are all single or 2 bands only and not as convenient, but many prefer the sound quality of Nebula over Acqua.

So demo ever Acqua and if you do go Nebula there is a huge Nebula world waiting but no demos...... there are several nebula threads full of info.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 11th February 2018 at 07:36 PM..
Old 11th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

And for Manley Vari-mu ?
Thanks
Sergio
Closest thing I know to the 2500 is Tim Cupwise's Lunchpail. It's a 527 which is is the same family. Its seriously good.
Old 11th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
G2500 by Gemini Audio.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Tim's Pultec is the closest to a real sounding Pultec IMHO, it's got that darker Pultec tone and is a great EQ. That being said I love it on channels, but Purple is very open and can work magic on the 2 bus unlike a real Pultec. So I can highly recommend Tim's Dual Tech and I suggest you demo Purple....... and also demo the new Ruby, as it is the DW Fearn Pultec style EQ and the smoothest EQ you'll ever use in a computer.

Acqua's win in workflow as they are multi-Nebula libraries while Nebula is single library only, so we stack Nebula's. There are some Nebula libraries that do have a workflow advantage, but they are mostly comps from Tim P. EQ's in Nebula are all single or 2 bands only and not as convenient, but many prefer the sound quality of Nebula over Acqua.

So demo ever Acqua and if you do go Nebula there is a huge Nebula world waiting but no demos...... there are several nebula threads full of info.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
I'm already in the N4 world and have Tim P Blue mu, vari level,...

Yes, unfortunaltely there is not a real demo of the dualtech so you can hear the pre as well.

I'm demoing the Purple Pack and it is nice to have everything in front of you with just two windows open.
With Nebula and the Dualtech plus Tim P mids EQ (M5) that would be like 8 windows open in comparison... if you wish to see everthing at the same time. That's quite a difference.

Ruby too my ears and my taste has a texture that is 'too polite and sleek' imho! and I would probably not want that on the grain of my drums, eguitar,...

Thanks again!
regards

Last edited by gearsuser; 12th February 2018 at 02:29 PM..
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Still can't get over how good L-BUS is. That and MFC are pretty much all I use Nebula for nowadays.

Both spectacular!

Out of interest, what are your most used (top 2) Neb libraries?
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Addict

Agreed!! Use them both on pretty much every mix. I’ve recently started hitting L Bus a little harder and I love the glue and punch I’m getting. I’ve got a hardware GSSL Clone and I’ve not switched it on for months!

I usually also add Coral Comp on my mixbuss and everything is sounding super solid and controlled, I find adjusting hpf on the sidechain whilst listening to just the low end of the mix is perfect for dialling everything in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Still can't get over how good L-BUS is. That and MFC are pretty much all I use Nebula for nowadays.

Both spectacular!

Out of interest, what are your most used (top 2) Neb libraries?
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Agreed!! Use them both on pretty much every mix. I’ve recently started hitting L Bus a little harder and I love the glue and punch I’m getting. I’ve got a hardware GSSL Clone and I’ve not switched it on for months!

I usually also add Coral Comp on my mixbuss and everything is sounding super solid and controlled, I find adjusting hpf on the sidechain whilst listening to just the low end of the mix is perfect for dialling everything in!!
Same here (hitting L-BUS at around 4dB GR at 1:2). HP usually ends up at around at around 100-150 on bass heavy tracks. What ratio are you using? The punch you can add is fantastic. I was going to pull the trigger on a GSSL/TK/Dione but L-BUS doesn't leave me wanting.

L-BUS into Coral or MJUC is a great combo.
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear
Sounds like you two have a lot of hardware...I'm itb and couldn't put out a quality mix without a whole bunch of Neb mics Pres eqs and comps!
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Also want to say that Tim P is working on something in Nebula that we've been told can't be done...... and yet yesterday I was testing it and it works! Tim is a true Nebula Jedi folks and a true asset to the Nebula community.
C'mon Will, that's a kinda harsh tease. :D Surely you can tease us just a little bit more?

Are we talking about something completely new or expanding on something old?
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
C'mon Will, that's a kinda harsh tease. :D Surely you can tease us just a little bit more?

At a guess - 'proper' distortion/saturation via Nebula. That was always a limitation of the platform.

Again, just guessing. Whatever it is, it'll be good, he's a maximiser; everything is highly optimised. Maximisers + technology =
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not teasing, just letting everyone Tim's hard at work for us, lol. What he's got coming is a simple tool, but one we do not have in the Nebula world and something we all use..... and it's been said it can't be made in Nebula, but he's done it.

That's all I can say, so when Tim is ready I'm sure he'll post about it.

Tim also released small updates to ELC24 and Blue 1102.
Old 12th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quote:

At a guess - 'proper' distortion/saturation via Nebula. That was always a limitation of the platform.

Again, just guessing. Whatever it is, it'll be good, he's a maximiser; everything is highly optimised. Maximisers + technology =

if you want distortion check at out... scs power distortion. Based on output tubes. It even simulates a output sag, basically a 2 dimension transfer curve.

It’s the same concept of sampling transfer curve that i used in dual tech, 37 and vari clipper. Those times before I kept it subtle to cut down aliasing but people were asking for more extreme versions. I should of probably made a fuss about it when I first originally did it, as I think looking at it now it was quite a big thing.

If your using it for stereo you need two instances though

Tonight i'll put some sound clips of it up! A bit of guitar will do
Old 12th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
if you want distortion check at out... scs power distortion. Based on output tubes. It even simulates a output sag, basically a 2 dimension transfer curve.

It’s the same concept of sampling transfer curve that i used in dual tech, 37 and vari clipper. Those times before I kept it subtle to cut down aliasing but people were asking for more extreme versions. I should of probably made a fuss about it when I first originally did it, as I think looking at it now it was quite a big thing.

Will do, thanks. I've not tried your clippers before (although owning those libraries). I'll give 37 a pop on the mixbus.

Look forward to your future stuff and thanks again for your incredible work.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

for 37j there was a update on n4 skins and also a extra aggressive de emphasis preset to go with it. Mind, this is still a light drive in comparison to scs distortion

also don't forget you should use a stereo pair in something like meta plugin for bus dutys
so something like this

Pre emphasis>meta plugin(containing left de-emphasis and right de-emphasis)

Cheers
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
for 37j there was a update on n4 skins and also a extra aggressive de emphasis preset to go with it. Mind, this is still a light drive in comparison to scs distortion

also don't forget you should use a stereo pair in something like meta plugin for bus dutys
so something like this

Cheers
Roger that
Old 13th February 2018
Quote:

so something like this

Cheers
I'm sorry sir, but that's quite a surprise to me and seems like Im missing on a lot of info here.

Am I supposed to have a Left and Right deemphasis preset in my 37J ?

What Meta plugin would you suggest to do the process youre talking about.

Seems like I was doing it all wrong all the time

Thank you sir. Awesome job on your libraries, I'm totally sold.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:

so something like this

Cheers
Tim,

I thought it was correct to use seperate L-R instances of the Pre-emphasis going into separate L-R de-emphasis instances.

So I should be using only 1 Pre-emphasis instance split out to L-R de-emphasis instead?
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

The deemphasis contains the clipping function as well as frequency correction.

The issue is that nebulas dynamic side means that each side is changed equally L-R.

If it sounded good then thats good. But you may find the distortion is not as musical as it will be acting on both sides the same.

By having a left and right DE-empahsis you'll find the transients either side getting distorted correctly.

For compressors this is not a problem. As we tend to use stereo/linked instead of dual mono for master and bus duties.

If you wish to use dual mono. You need A instance each side.

Tim
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Tim,

I thought it was correct to use seperate L-R instances of the Pre-emphasis going into separate L-R de-emphasis instances.

So I should be using only 1 Pre-emphasis instance split out to L-R de-emphasis instead?

That's up to you I was just showing the way to use least amount of instances for the pre and de-emphasis effect on a stereo source.

The pre emphasis also contains the tone of each track on the machine so in theory yes ideally for example you could select a track 2 for left and track 3 for right if doing it this way.

so in meta plugin-

Left>Pre-emphasis channel 2>de-emphasis

Right>Pre-emphasis channel 3>de-emphasis

AS a example I recommend either channel 2/3 or channel 1/4 as they are matching. On the out side of the tape we get a rise in the high frequency's as a example I recommend either channel 2/3 or channel 1/4 as they are matching. On the out side of the tape we get a rise in the high frequency's as seen here
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
That's up to you I was just showing the way to use least amount of instances for the pre and de-emphasis effect on a stereo source.

The pre emphasis also contains the tone of each track on the machine so in theory yes ideally for example you could select a track 2 for left and track 3 for right if doing it this way.

so in meta plugin-

Left>Pre-emphasis channel 2>de-emphasis

Right>Pre-emphasis channel 3>de-emphasis

AS a example I recommend either channel 2/3 or channel 1/4 as they are matching. On the out side of the tape we get a rise in the high frequency's as seen here

Excellent & thank you.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Just got around to this-

So the guitars are

scs distort >Kalthllen cabs nebula program . Middle guitar has a bit of Mellow echo on it and filtered b n2065 filter.

thats it.

I did my best Page/angus young impression . Thought it was suitible for the type of distortion

SCS DISTORT by TimPetherick | Tim Petherick | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds great! Might have to grab that library :¬)
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Nut

Does anyone know if TP or Cupwise has done a DBX160 Comp library?
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
Does anyone know if TP or Cupwise has done a DBX160 Comp library?
n60a - Tim Petherick
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nice one bOse.
Old 14th February 2018
I believe Tim Cupwise new Smack comp is one of the 160 variations..?

Smack VU Compressor | Cupwise FX
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
I believe Tim Cupwise new Smack comp is one of the 160 variations..?

Smack VU Compressor | Cupwise FX
Yes, Cupwise is the older one. The one with the VU meter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search