The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Good post , however this is incorrect. Kontakt can load as much as you have cpu power and ram for. It is actually works how most people complaining about N4 rack, would like it to work. Everything bundled in a multi. Reaper fx chains and track templates are a nice workaround for me.
I stand corrected.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfir View Post
Thank you for this very detailed answer, sorry if my question may be a bit off topic, but how can I compensate the output volume after gain staging (as usually required for Nebula -18dbFS etc) without using a compressor, limiter or maximizer (I record instrumental acoustic guitar stuffs and would like to avoid to compress), why can't I just raise the output Master level, or is it some plug in I can add to raise the output level, to keep my recordings competitive with modern productions in terms of output volume? (I reduce the peaks manually by cutting the track before and after the peak and lowering the volume handle, to allow to raise the overall volume). Still Nebula gain staging requierement results in a severe loss of volume at the output, any tips there?
Nebula has to be run at proper 0db VU levels as hardware (-18dbFS), I use Klanghelm's VUMT to keep the levels where I want them but there are several other plugins that do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-analogue-digital-scale.jpg  
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
... but how can I compensate the output volume after gain staging (as usually required for Nebula -18dbFS etc) without using a compressor, limiter or maximizer ....
I use N-4's OUTPUT Knob to re-balance to 'UNITY GAIN' at each instance.

When I need to use 'separate' gaining, I use AirWindow's 'PureGAIN' plugin.

In Mastering, we'll use the INPUT drive of LIMITER to bring final levels.

2. There was a [free - i believe], GAIN library released [CDS] that had static GAIN libraries for Neb-3/4. [similar concept to using a N-3/4 PAN library included in AlexB's Console libraries.
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Just use any gain/trim plugin in the end (Last one before your digital limiter) or even the input of your digital limiter to bring your track to the desired volume.

Always stay under 18dbfs and you wont have any problem.

That way you can crank your monitors / headphones to the desired volume until its time to apply the grim reaper Limiter
But once the signal has gone through Nebula do I still have a reason to stay close to -18DBFS? Why can’t I just try to get the final output peaks close to let’s say -1 or -2 DBFS? I record YT videos and the purpose is not to send it to mastering or anything, so I guess I have no reason to keep bunches of headroom left before clipping but maybe I’m missing something ?
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
But once the signal has gone through Nebula do I still have a reason to stay close to -18DBFS? Why can’t I just try to get the final output peaks close to let’s say -1 or -2 DBFS? I record YT videos and the purpose is not to send it to mastering or anything, so I guess I have no reason to keep bunches of headroom left before clipping but maybe I’m missing something ?
As long as you dont peak your plugin after....

Just keep in mind that Nebula In = -18dbfs

On your master bus you can put a gain plug at +18 db if you want....if you overload your output its your problem. I remember a rap beat producer back in the days that was hitting red on his FL output on the regular. **** was hilarious but hey, he got his sound like that.
If im not mistaken, primo was also overloading his S950....I think I red somewhere he said it was giving some sort of sheen.

Anyways,to be back on the topic, if you overload a nebula library, you might end up with a very weird bell/whistle sound....it really sound like **** !

Try it and let me know haha
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
As long as you dont peak your plugin after....

Just keep in mind that Nebula In = -18dbfs

On your master bus you can put a gain plug at +18 db if you want....if you overload your output its your problem. I remember a rap beat producer back in the days that was hitting red on his FL output on the regular. **** was hilarious but hey, he got his sound like that.
If im not mistaken, primo was also overloading his S950....I think I red somewhere he said it was giving some sort of sheen.

Anyways,to be back on the topic, if you overload a nebula library, you might end up with a very weird bell/whistle sound....it really sound like **** !

Try it and let me know haha
Haha no I’ve understood that I should not send any excessively hot signal in Nebula and stay close to -18DBFS, and of course I’m not looking for clipping the master output, but just gain staging before Nebula to keep the sound as it is intended to be, but then raise the volume before the master output , without clipping of course, to allow my videos to have a descent volume so they don’t sound too quiet compared to others videos in a playlist for example. I was satisfied with the overall output volume of my recordings before using Nebula, and this without compressor limiter or anything , but of course the -18 DBFS requirement make things trickier ... Thanks for your input !
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Nebula has to be run at proper 0db VU levels as hardware (-18dbFS), I use Klanghelm's VUMT to keep the levels where I want them but there are several other plugins that do the same thing.
So I guess I can also use it to raise the overall volume once the signal have passed through Nebula , no need to keep the signal at -18DBFS once it has gone through Nebula , am I right ?
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

No you can raise the level to where you need it after Nebula, I mix music so I keep it low then use a peak limiter to make it loud again.
Old 15th January 2018
So...
When is Alex B gonna update his compressors to the N4 standard like Tim P and Cupwise because I would really love to use his new comps with some skins from JPS!!!
Man Alex B, your compressor library is crazy!!! PLEASE UPDATE TO THE NEW COMP SETUPS!!!
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Head

What are your must have N4 reverbs for vocals?
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadside View Post
What are your must have N4 reverbs for vocals?
VNXT for Plates.
Signal To Noise for hardware verbs.
Gene Lennon TC 6000
Cupwise for Plates and rooms.
Analogue In The Box for real spaces.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
So...
When is Alex B gonna update his compressors to the N4 standard like Tim P and Cupwise because I would really love to use his new comps with some skins from JPS!!!
Man Alex B, your compressor library is crazy!!! PLEASE UPDATE TO THE NEW COMP SETUPS!!!
Well......
Tim P and Cupwise are still using older N3 NAT for everything and just providing a N4 skin. Bot Tim's have just developed unique custom workarounds for their libraries, so they are NOT using anything from N4. They have just learned how to manipulate N3 to achieve their goals beyond where even most can go.

I do hope to see Tim P, Cupwise, and Alex B sign on for N4 as I would love to see how they could push the new N4 tech advances made over the past 4 years.
Old 25th January 2018
MAKE YOUR SKIN REQUEST IN THIS GROUP FOR N4 LIBRARIES!!!
GROUP PURCHASES ENCOURAGED!!!
JPN SKIN REQUEST
Old 25th January 2018
Quote:
No you can raise the level to where you need it after Nebula, I mix music so I keep it low then use a peak limiter to make it loud again.
Thanks for the input I didn't want to use a limiter but ok it seems I seem to get pretty good results with the Fabfilter L2, concerning the VNXT plate do you get the best results in Time or FreqD mode (or maybe splith?)
Is gain staging also important for a reverb on a FX track?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is gain staging also important for a reverb on a FX track?
In audio proper gain staging is always important, and yes Nebula is no different..... so ALWAYS use proper gain staging in everything audio you do.

Quote:
concerning the VNXT plate do you get the best results in Time or FreqD mode (or maybe splith?)
I did many Timed tests, in the end I use the libraries the way the developers deliver them as I got the best overall results that way.

As always to each their own.
Old 26th January 2018
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
In audio proper gain staging is always important, and yes Nebula is no different..... so ALWAYS use proper gain staging in everything audio you do.

I did many Timed tests, in the end I use the libraries the way the developers deliver them as I got the best overall results that way.

As always to each their own.
How do you gain stage compressors? Not necessarily nebula compressors but compressors in general? For it to cut transients properly, I start at 0db then go down depending on the amount of compression I want. -18db doesn't work for compressors, right?
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Head

-18db refers to the input level... nothing to do with gain reduction!
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac

While sticking to -18 is a good idea I'm guessing as I've seen from other posts that a lot of people are concerned about this metallic tone produced when pushing preamps hard for example?

You should be able to drive my presets quite hard without any problem.

IMO this is because of chirping that actully shouldn't be there, something I've cleared up in my own unique processes, amongst many more. If you look at point 3 here- Sample impulse improvements - Tim Petherick this will graphically tell you what this issue is.

Last edited by TimP Nebula; 30th January 2018 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Head

Anyone know how to download the N4 libraries from the new website?
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadside View Post
Anyone know how to download the N4 libraries from the new website?
When they become available from AA, everything will be downloaded in Aquarius.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head

Oh, not available yet, ok, I'll keep an eye on my Aquarius. Thanks Will!
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

For all those not aware, JPN has been busy!!!!

MFC and MFQ skins for Nebula 4.

Contact him at [email protected] for skins.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-acoustic.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-ambfx.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-bg-vox.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-clean.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-drum.jpg  

Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-gtr.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-percussion.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-g-bus-synth.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-lfe-channel.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-line-.jpg  

Nebula must have-mfc-mbus-air-punch.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-mbus-cine.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-mbus-clean.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-mbus-modern.jpg   Nebula must have-mfc-mic-pre.jpg  

Nebula must have-mfq-high-peak.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-high-shelf.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-highs.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-hp-filter.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-low-mid.jpg  

Nebula must have-mfq-low-peak.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-low-shelf.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-lp-filter.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-mid-high.jpg   Nebula must have-mfq-mid.jpg  

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 10th February 2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 10th February 2018
TNC
Lives for gear

I asked this over at the Acustica thread, maybe this one is more suitable.

With Nebula technology, from my understanding it seems like it does EQ the best. Without distortion added, an EQ is the frequency response that is sampled, right? So my question is, since it isn't as clear to me as when I use an EQ, is the harmonic distortion sampled with Nebula on par with the frequency response and for both harmonic distortion and frequency response, what makes the hardware sound different that your sampling doesn't contain/provide (Other than things like changes in pitch etc.)?
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Nebula tech also includes the Harmonic Distortion.
Old 10th February 2018
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Nebula tech also includes the Harmonic Distortion.
Yes, I know. There is a hardware-software comparison of the API 5500 vs the AlexB library. No one could guess which one is which, though they comment the compared files did sound kinda different. That was an EQ and I don't know if No Distortion presets were used or if distortion was included. I was just wondering if the distortion is captured as good as the frequency response is with Nebula technology. I wish there were more hardware vs nebula comparisons.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Yes, I know. There is a hardware-software comparison of the API 5500 vs the AlexB library. No one could guess which one is which, though they comment the compared files did sound kinda different. That was an EQ and I don't know if No Distortion presets were used or if distortion was included. I was just wondering if the distortion is captured as good as the frequency response is with Nebula technology. I wish there were more hardware vs nebula comparisons.
Not sure exactly what to tell you ...

There can be differences between the same model/brands of hardware, which would account for the difference between a particular hardware and a software [not the same unit].

Acustica technology captures the hardware. While there can be fine-tuning done on the sampling process itself ... the final result is still bound to the original hardware sampled.

In many Nebula Libraries, there is often included 2 Preset variations. One has the full harmonic content of the unit, while the 'clean' version has the harmonics removed. The reasoning ... when stacking several instances of the same library, using all clean, but for one 'full' version, mirrors the harmonics of the Unit.

does that clarify ?
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Also want to say that Tim P is working on something in Nebula that we've been told can't be done...... and yet yesterday I was testing it and it works! Tim is a true Nebula Jedi folks and a true asset to the Nebula community.
Old 10th February 2018
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Not sure exactly what to tell you ...

There can be differences between the same model/brands of hardware, which would account for the difference between a particular hardware and a software [not the same unit].

Acustica technology captures the hardware. While there can be fine-tuning done on the sampling process itself ... the final result is still bound to the original hardware sampled.

In many Nebula Libraries, there is often included 2 Preset variations. One has the full harmonic content of the unit, while the 'clean' version has the harmonics removed. The reasoning ... when stacking several instances of the same library, using all clean, but for one 'full' version, mirrors the harmonics of the Unit.

does that clarify ?
Alright, thank you.
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Also want to say that Tim P is working on something in Nebula that we've been told can't be done...... and yet yesterday I was testing it and it works! Tim is a true Nebula Jedi folks and a true asset to the Nebula community.
Any idea when Master Tim will announce?
Old 10th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Any idea when Master Tim will announce?
Nope, none at all but he's on to something again, lol. It amazes me what he's able to accomplish with Nat3 on Core 5-6.... just amazing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search