The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Ap* 2500
Nope, I think AP* 527......
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Nut
Launcpail is actually 225L (same as 527 but in small 200 frame). It works great, especially on drum buss.
Old 8th January 2018
Here's a quick setup video I did using Nebula all over the place here
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Head

[QUOTE=maiv;13058407]Launcpail is actually 225L (same as 527 but in small 200 frame)

Hi Maiv just curious why you think this. Inside info or something else?
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear
There was a thread on GS, I think in new products where I made the same mistake and said it was a 225.

Someone else said 527 and Tim C awarded him the Cowbell smilie.
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
There was a thread on GS, I think in new products where I made the same mistake and said it was a 225.

Someone else said 527 and Tim C awarded him the Cowbell smilie.

Sorry my mistake, few people on boards said it is 225...
On aa forum Tim said it isn't 225 and droped some hints in 5*7 direction.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Head

is there a noob tutorial on how to use skins and what do I need to get? nebula setups? I buy that from the main acustica site? I only have nebula 3 atm.

Like I know I can set the skin in nebula but can I have it load automatically depending on what library loads or do I need setups for that?

Last edited by systmu; 11th January 2018 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: confused
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by systmu View Post
is there a noob tutorial on how to use skins and what do I need to get? nebula setups? I buy that from the main acustica site? I only have nebula 3 atm.

Like I know I can set the skin in nebula but can I have it load automatically depending on what library loads or do I need setups for that?
In N3 I think is as simple as to copy the skins to the SKINS folder in your Nebula folder, not VST folder.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Head

there is some info in this thread in the nebula-forum.
(! gonna close soon !)

• View topic - cupwise release- Flucti-Mew Tube Compressor/Limiter

Quote:
- copy/save 'Nebula3 Reverb.xml' and 'Nebula3 Reverb.dll' with new name (in your vst-plugin-folder).

- use new files for the new skin (you can load load new 'xyz.dll' as plugin)
You can edit the new xyz.xml - which configurates 'xyz.dll' - to make it load the skin you want.
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabie View Post
there is some info in this thread in the nebula-forum.
(! gonna close soon !)

• View topic - cupwise release- Flucti-Mew Tube Compressor/Limiter

You can edit the new xyz.xml - which configurates 'xyz.dll' - to make it load the skin you want.
Can this be done with N4 ?
Old 11th January 2018
Lives for gear

JPN strikes again!!!

MMeQ for 2018.......

For me JPN skins are such a workflow upgrade, but to each their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-mmeq-4.7-27-khz-hi-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-22-150-hz-low-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-22-180-hz-bell.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-150-560-hz-low-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-180-820-hz-bell.jpeg  

Nebula must have-mmeq-220-1200-hz-hi-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-560-3900-hz-low-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-820-3900-hz-bell.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-hp.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-lp.jpeg  

Nebula must have-mmeq-1.2-4.7-khz-hi-shelf.jpeg   Nebula must have-mmeq-3.9-27-khz-bell.jpeg  
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Looking for opinions on the gate in TimP TNT Dynamics please. I use Abletons and Reaper's own currently, which are fine. Just demo'd Fabfilter ProG but can't justify that price for a gate. Is there a musicality to TimP's like his compressors and EQs give? Thanks
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Looking for opinions on the gate in TimP TNT Dynamics please. I use Abletons and Reaper's own currently, which are fine. Just demo'd Fabfilter ProG but can't justify that price for a gate. Is there a musicality to TimP's like his compressors and EQs give? Thanks
I bought Tim P TNT and its a wonderful and heavy comp.

It doesnt sound like my Valley people Dyna-mite and doesnt sound like the Softube one neither.

It sound quite heavy to be honest.

I love it but its for some very specific applications.

I'd say demo it but its not possible.

If you want, send me 2-3 tracks at 24/96 and give me some settings and i'll send you the results .

IMHO its a must have but maybe not as much as other comp he has.
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I bought Tim P TNT and its a wonderful and heavy comp.

It doesnt sound like my Valley people Dyna-mite and doesnt sound like the Softube one neither.

It sound quite heavy to be honest.

I love it but its for some very specific applications.

I'd say demo it but its not possible.

If you want, send me 2-3 tracks at 24/96 and give me some settings and i'll send you the results .

IMHO its a must have but maybe not as much as other comp he has.
Thanks for the info, so it's more of a comp? I was looking for a gate in nebula and this was only thing I saw. Description says it's gate/expander
Old 11th January 2018
Quote:
Thanks for the info, so it's more of a comp? I was looking for a gate in nebula and this was only thing I saw. Description says it's gate/expander
The expander does work great but I dont remember using the Gate if it was included.

Maybe it is.

I'll have to look tonight
Old 11th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The expander does work great but I dont remember using the Gate if it was included.

Maybe it is.

I'll have to look tonight
Thanks, would really appreciate that. Looks worth getting anyway, lot of elements to it. Looking for musical gate for live snare and kick stems
Old 12th January 2018
Quote:
Thanks, would really appreciate that. Looks worth getting anyway, lot of elements to it. Looking for musical gate for live snare and kick stems
Ok, There's a gate in the expander section.

There's also a Limiter or a duck function under the limiter section.

Both reacting AVG or Peak.

And of course the pre.

Seems like I have some homework to do now hahaha
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
JPN strikes again!!!

MMeQ for 2018.......

Agreed, JPN brings me back to N4! Need this skin :¬)
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Ok, There's a gate in the expander section.

There's also a Limiter or a duck function under the limiter section.

Both reacting AVG or Peak.

And of course the pre.

Seems like I have some homework to do now hahaha
Thanks!
Looks like another TimP to add to my collection, never a bad thing
Old 13th January 2018
Quote:
JPN strikes again!!!

MMeQ for 2018.......

Wow, Will, seems to good to be true. JPN skins for Allessandro's libraries. When is this to come? And how can one purchase it? Thanks for your help, Geret
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Wow, Will, seems to good to be true. JPN skins for Allessandro's libraries. When is this to come? And how can one purchase it? Thanks for your help, Geret
So far JPN has done skins for the 9KC console and EQ, MMeQ, and some generic N4 skins you can assign to any library. I'm not sure of his plans, but I'm sure they will be available soon.......2018 is looking better with every skin.

FWIW, I post skin shots here so everyone knows they exist.
Old 14th January 2018
Hi everyone, thanks for the very interesting informations available here for a new Nebula user like me! I haven’t really understood one thing , you need Nebula 3 or 4 to run the different libraries, how about Acqua? Do you just buy the plug in without needing any Nebula or Acqua kind of general interface? Can you load Acqua libraries in Nebula ?
Sorry for the probably dumb question but the information on their website wasn’t crystal clear to me ...
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut
Nebula is VST plugin, it's "like" sampler but for effects.

3d party libraries are "like sample libraries" for Nebula. They don't work without Nebula plugin.

Aquas are vst plugins, they work on same technology as Nebula but they don't need Nebula plugin to work. You are using them like every other vst FX(eq,comp,etc.)
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfir View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for the very interesting informations available here for a new Nebula user like me! I haven’t really understood one thing , you need Nebula 3 or 4 to run the different libraries, how about Acqua? Do you just buy the plug in without needing any Nebula or Acqua kind of general interface? Can you load Acqua libraries in Nebula ?
Sorry for the probably dumb question but the information on their website wasn’t crystal clear to me ...
The Nebula technology is very advanced IR technology, AA simply keeps advancing where Altiverb stopped. So while Altiverb is a static IR tech, Nebula is dynamic and uses a form of ultrasound to capture not only the IR of hardware, but also up to 9th order harmonics, making it the most advanced IR tech around. Nebula is the bridge between hardware and digital audio, unfortunately only AA and Liquidsonics are still pushing the IR frontier forward and while Liquidsonics is just doing reverb, AA and 3rd party developers are doing wherything.

So think of the Nebula program as an IR player kinda like how Kontakt is for sampled instruments. You load a library into Nebula and it then processes the IR library onto your audio, harmonics and all. Every library developer has their own converters and library style making each library unique, just like with Kontakt library developers. Each developer has things they specialize in.... Tim P is known for his comps and EQ's, Alex B is known for his consoles and EQ's, VNXT for plate verbs, etc.

Acqua's were in response to some not liking the Nebula format as it only loads a single library per instance as of today. Acqua's are just specialized multi Nebula plugins with a custom skin and optimized to be run together. These run like a normal VST type plugin.

Because the Nebula technology is IR based there is a CPU hit as every second a single Nebula or Acqua may be processing hundreds to possible thousands of small IR files in the background.

Disadvantages of Nebula tech include:
-Heavy CPU usage.
-Small delay when adjusting parameters due to high IR files changing.
-High RAM usage due to using high amounts of IR files per instance.
-Limitations of current IR technology. AA recently have made the first IR compressors & delay and now overdrive, filters and distortion. We still do not have proper chorus, flanger or phazers yet.

Advantages of Nebula tech include:
-Sound is very close to hardware.
-Accurate harmonics from hardware give digital audio the 3D depth better than any other tech outside of actual hardware.
-You can run many Nebula's one after another and you will not loose sound quality ITB.
-Large library options covering a lot of hardware.

So we Nebula users deal with some issues of the tech for the sound quality.

I will also add that if you track with quality hardware you will not notice as much improvement with Nebula tech as you will if you create ITB using VSTi's.

Think of Nebula tech as a solution to bringing hardware forward with us on our digital audio journey.

N4 will run all Nebula libraries, but we need N4 skins per library or you have to use the basic skin. Also there are tech advances in N4 that developers using N3 do not have access to. So the newer N4 libraries coming soon will have extra possibilities over the N3 libraries.

Yes there is a way to run Acqua's in Nebula, it takes some more advanced Nebula tech knowledge but is possible. As that would defeat the main advantage of the Acqua, most don't look to run Acqua's within Nebula.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 15th January 2018 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Error corrected.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
The Nebula technology is very advanced IR technology, AA simply keeps advancing where Altiverb stopped. So while Altiverb is a static IR tech, Nebula is dynamic and uses a form of ultrasound to capture not only the IR of hardware, but also up to 9th order harmonics, making it the most advanced IR tech around. Nebula is the bridge between hardware and digital audio, unfortunately only AA and Liquidsonics are still pushing the IR frontier forward and while Liquidsonics is just doing reverb, AA and 3rd party developers are doing wherything.
Why Nebula 3d party devs dont make guitar libraries any more? Is there some technical reason or there was no interest? Nowadays all major guitar and bass processors use classic IR for cabs, the same is with software guitar sims.
I found in few threads that Nebula cabs sounded better than IRs, also Ownhammer who is one of the respected IR devs for Axefx, Kemper, Hellix etc. did it before and stoped. What happened?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiv View Post
Why Nebula 3d party devs dont make guitar libraries any more? Is there some technical reason or there was no interest? Nowadays all major guitar and bass processors use classic IR for cabs, the same is with software guitar sims.
I found in few threads that Nebula cabs sounded better than IRs, also Ownhammer who is one of the respected IR devs for Axefx, Kemper, Hellix etc. did it before and stoped. What happened?
This and Microphones.

I've wondered why too.

Seems like it would be the most obvious categories yet...

The HO Mics are some of the most important tools in my set. The fact that he never made the SM57 kills me!!!

There are some really obvious ones that weren't covered. And the multiple distances would be awesome to see filled out more robustly.
Old 14th January 2018
Quote:

So think of the Nebula program as an IR player kinda like how Kontakt is for sampled instruments. You load a library into Nebula and it then processes the IR library onto your audio, harmonics and all. Every library developer has their own converters and library style making each library unique, just like with Kontakt library developers. Each developer has things they specialize in.... Tim P is known for his comps and EQ's, Alex B is known for his consoles and EQ's, VNXT for plate verbs, etc.

Acqua's were in response to some not liking the Nebula format as like Kontake it only loads a single library per instance. Acqua's are just specialized multi Nebula plugins with a custom skin and optimized to be run together. These run like a normal VST type plugin.

Because the Nebula technology is IR based there is a CPU hit as every second a single Nebula or Acqua may be processing hundreds to possible thousands of small IR files in the background.

Disadvantages of Nebula tech include:
-Heavy CPU usage.
-Small delay when adjusting parameters due to high IR files changing.
-High RAM usage due to using high amounts of IR files per instance.
-Limitations of current IR technology. AA recently have made the first IR compressors & delay and now overdrive, filters and distortion. We still do not have proper chorus, flanger or phazers yet.

Advantages of Nebula tech include:
-Sound is very close to hardware.
-Accurate harmonics from hardware give digital audio the 3D depth better than any other tech outside of actual hardware.
-You can run many Nebula's one after another and you will not loose sound quality ITB.
-Large library options covering a lot of hardware.

So we Nebula users deal with some issues of the tech for the sound quality.

I will also add that if you track with quality hardware you will not notice as much improvement with Nebula tech as you will if you create ITB using VSTi's.

Think of Nebula tech as a solution to bringing hardware forward with us on our digital audio journey.

N4 will run all Nebula libraries, but we need N4 skins per library or you have to use the basic skin. Also there are tech advances in N4 that developers using N3 do not have access to. So the newer N4 libraries coming soon will have extra possibilities over the N3 libraries.

Yes there is a way to run Acqua's in Nebula, it takes some more advanced Nebula tech knowledge but is possible. As that would defeat the main advantage of the Acqua, most don't look to run Acqua's within Nebula.
Thank you for this very detailed answer, sorry if my question may be a bit off topic, but how can I compensate the output volume after gain staging (as usually required for Nebula -18dbFS etc) without using a compressor, limiter or maximizer (I record instrumental acoustic guitar stuffs and would like to avoid to compress), why can't I just raise the output Master level, or is it some plug in I can add to raise the output level, to keep my recordings competitive with modern productions in terms of output volume? (I reduce the peaks manually by cutting the track before and after the peak and lowering the volume handle, to allow to raise the overall volume). Still Nebula gain staging requierement results in a severe loss of volume at the output, any tips there?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Acqua's were in response to some not liking the Nebula format as like Kontake it only loads a single library per instance.
Good post , however this is incorrect. Kontakt can load as much as you have cpu power and ram for. It is actually works how most people complaining about N4 rack, would like it to work. Everything bundled in a multi. Reaper fx chains and track templates are a nice workaround for me.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thank you for this very detailed answer, sorry if my question may be a bit off topic, but how can I compensate the output volume after gain staging (as usually required for Nebula -18dbFS etc) without using a compressor, limiter or maximizer (I record instrumental acoustic guitar stuffs and would like to avoid to compress), why can't I just raise the output Master level, or is it some plug in I can add to raise the output level, to keep my recordings competitive with modern productions in terms of output volume? (I reduce the peaks manually by cutting the track before and after the peak and lowering the volume handle, to allow to raise the overall volume). Still Nebula gain staging requierement results in a severe loss of volume at the output, any tips there?
It's off topic... you can do it with fader as you said but you can also leave it as it is, modern broadcast standard(R128) says that optimal loudness is -23LU (1LU=1Db) so it's even "quieter" than -18db...
Old 15th January 2018
Quote:

Just use any gain/trim plugin in the end (Last one before your digital limiter) or even the input of your digital limiter to bring your track to the desired volume.

Always stay under 18dbfs and you wont have any problem.

That way you can crank your monitors / headphones to the desired volume until its time to apply the grim reaper Limiter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search