The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I had been talking with Henry about some technical issues he had been facing regarding the M7 samples. I have not heard from him in a while though. I assume it is still being worked on. Hope so!

-Casey
I also hope Henry is still working on this.
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

Headsup - was on Facebook earlier and saw that Alex B just released his new CL1B library:
AlexB Nebula Programs - Opto Tube Dynamics

Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Another hit on my wallet :-(
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Rayphlex compressor set from Cupwise. Best itb compression yet.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Never heard of it, will check it out....

So far no ITB compressor has fully impressed me. Even the best only match budget hardware items
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post

So far no ITB compressor has fully impressed me. Even the best only match budget hardware items

hey coolcolj, what do you think of the latest UAD 1176?
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
1176freaking awesome!!!

Sent from my AT100
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
1176freaking awesome!!!

Sent from my AT100
Yes, indeed, that's what I think.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Rayphlex is the first Nebula comp set that includes attack and release controls that function normally to my ears. Really liking this one. Totally reasonably priced, too.

Check out Cupwise.
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post

Don't have UAD
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Rayphlex community program vs Softube Cl1B and Vertigo VSC2 plugin

TR909 loop, fastest attack and release and similar settings, 6db or so gain reduction

Rayphlex is supposed to be fairly transparent, but I can definitely hear some colour on my Focal SM9 monitors
Adds a bit of sheen to the sound, even more than the algo plugins which are pretty coloured...

Dare I say, it sounds more 3D than these 2 good algo plugins
And no tube/transformer in the original hardware AFAIK
Attached Files

CCJ_TR909_Loop.mp3 (194.0 KB, 1232 views)

CCJ_TR909_Loop_Rayphlex.mp3 (194.0 KB, 1327 views)

CCJ_TR909_Loop_VertigoVSC2.mp3 (194.0 KB, 1214 views)

CCJ_TR909_Loop_SoftubeCL1B.mp3 (194.0 KB, 1190 views)

Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Man, another headsup... Just saw that AITB's releasing two new reverb libraries: Phonocamptica and TankVerb

AITB - Nebula Libraries & Audio Plugins

When it rains, it pours!
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Rayphlex community program vs Softube Cl1B and Vertigo VSC2 plugin

TR909 loop, fastest attack and release and similar settings, 6db or so gain reduction

Rayphlex is supposed to be fairly transparent, but I can definitely hear some colour on my Focal SM9 monitors
Adds a bit of sheen to the sound, even more than the algo plugins which are pretty coloured...

Dare I say, it sounds more 3D than these 2 good algo plugins
And no tube/transformer in the original hardware AFAIK
Vertigo sounds pretty good.. Softube the weakest link, no doubt. Rayphlex is truly a big step in the nebula compressor world!
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Vertigo sounds pretty good.. Softube the weakest link, no doubt. Rayphlex is truly a big step in the nebula compressor world!
Yea vertigo is sweet,I haven't heard the files yet.

I'm stating from personal experience,its one of the best natives I've heard.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 7th October 2012
cdsoundmaster the drum compressor is now on my list of Nebula must haves...
Old 7th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish View Post
Only thing is that the attack/release is still not fast enough to truly squash the sound. A lot of transients get through so you need to stick a limiter after it
The dial may say 0.05 ms attack time, but I really don't think it is....

Softube is pretty fast hence why it sounds the way it does.
Reminds me of my Focusrite Compounder, that opto squash sound.

Stillwell Rocket is also uber fast!
I set Rocket to 100 microsecond attack time, 50ms release, and 12:1 compression ratio, over 20db of gain reduction.
Then set up the other compressors to get a similar sound.

Only Vertigo VSC-2 came close, since it's a dual VCA style compressor, you can get it loud, and no transients sneak through.
Softube CL1B is opto style compressor so it's a bit slower. More peaks get through. A limiter after it can help.

Rayphlex like all Nebula compressors always fail this test :(
So I just use Rocket and put Rayphlex after it for tone and 3D...
Attached Files

Pass_Loop.mp3 (247.1 KB, 1040 views)

Pass_Loop_Rocket.mp3 (247.1 KB, 1099 views)

Pass_Loop_Rayphlex with limiter.mp3 (247.1 KB, 1085 views)

Pass_Loop_VertigoVSC-2.mp3 (247.1 KB, 1072 views)

Pass_Loop_SoftubeCL1B.mp3 (247.1 KB, 1043 views)

Old 8th October 2012
Its like AlexB says - dont use a Lamborgini to go rallying with. I personally dont treat sounds like in your examples - but if you want to squash/smash a sound with very fast attack use a 1176 style compressor. Rayflex isnt that kind of compressor.
The 1176 is weirdly the compressor most well modelled in the ITB world IMO.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Its like AlexB says - dont use a Lamborgini to go rallying with. I personally dont treat sounds like in your examples - but if you want to squash/smash a sound with very fast attack use a 1176 style compressor. Rayflex isnt that kind of compressor.
The 1176 is weirdly the compressor most well modelled in the ITB world IMO.
Even the humble Focusrite Compounder can do it without using it's fastest attack. And it can only goes as fast as 1ms.
So I just think something is still not working right in Nebula IMO, as far as compression goes.

Not just the attack but having the sound "slam" in your face with a fast release as well

It should at the least be able to do what the Softube CL1B can do, which is an opto modelled compressor.
Attached Files

CCJ_Original.mp3 (335.8 KB, 832 views)

CCJ_StillwellRocket.mp3 (337.8 KB, 852 views)

CCJ_FocusriteCompunder.mp3 (337.8 KB, 842 views)

Old 8th October 2012
Quote:
Even the humble Focusrite Compounder can do it without using it's fastest attack. And it can only goes as fast as 1ms.
So I just think something is still not working right in Nebula IMO, as far as compression goes.

Not just the attack but having the sound "slam" in your face with a fast release as well

It should at the least be able to do what the Softube CL1B can do, which is an opto modelled compressor.
Yes it seems you are not privy to this aspect that the way Nebula deals with compression has been a work in progress and for some time its been understood it cannot deal with fast attacks as well as being a little idiosyncratic. Remember its an engine that is based on samples of hardware designed to be used in a certain way. Nebula can only capture a certain range of settings as a compressor in an accurate way.

Recently some developers have worked out a way to get the best out of the engine - and within the Nebula constraints - the results a very accurate.

You can read a bit more here
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, apparently it's more of a technical issue... Nebula really can't handle heavy compression properly. I'd also like to see better GR metering, which is now all over the place.

The new releases... the "round" tone of the Tube-Tech CL2A is kind of an understatement:

I would say that this adds "weight" to your mixes
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

I found the TubeTech stuff too "dark" for my tastes. Not the kind of tube sound I like.
The Softube CL1B sounds surprisingly close to the Nebula program colour wise.
That creamy style colour.

Just as well I didn't buy that hardware multiband TubeTech stereo compressor a while back, blind

edit - I can see why now... not much top end...
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Bought the tubetech library and I love it. However some programs won't load. Anyone else having this issue? It's pretty frustrating >:(
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
(Bricasti M7)
Damn, I wish they hurry this up. Even the TC6000 isn't giving me enough tail (eventually) and it's only 48k (I'm trying to move into the 96k zone completely). I've been using the true stereo IR's with Altiverb (which sounds ok), but I'd like to see what Nebula does to the much spoken realism of the M7.

That new Tube Tech isn't too exciting for some reason IMHO, but it's a good "softening" tool.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Man, another headsup... Just saw that AITB's releasing two new reverb libraries: Phonocamptica and TankVerb

AITB - Nebula Libraries & Audio Plugins

When it rains, it pours!
sWEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! Keep it pouring baby! YES
Old 11th October 2012
Gear Addict
From what I understand after many days lost in the forest of the Acustica forums is that Nebula's "program rate" setting determines how frequently the sample of the gear is changed. Stock program rate is like 1.8ms. Several people have said that if you turn down the program rate you will get more accurate dynamic changes, but you will lose the ability to perceive the tone of the samples, thus eliminating what makes Nebula so great.

Regardless... Perfect comp plugin combination of all time... Nebula and Kush UBK-1. UBK-1 does exactly what Nebula can't do; fast action, generate movement, just plain unexpected results that fuel creative choices. Also, Kush has an ability to inject analog character on par with what Nebula is known for. I use Nebula for the bread and butter, 4dB and under compression, med to slow attack and release.

The examples of the Rayphlex trying to slam the drum loop perfectly illustrate what I call the "Nebula Envelope". Once Nebula is asked to change the dynamics too rapidly, it chokes and reveals the envelope of the engine itself, if that makes any sense. That's why, to me, when you push any Nebula compressor beyond 6dB GR territory, they all start sounding the same (aside from the harmonic coloration).
Old 11th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecchiarex View Post
From what I understand after many days lost in the forest of the Acustica forums is that Nebula's "program rate" setting determines how frequently the sample of the gear is changed. Stock program rate is like 1.8ms. Several people have said that if you turn down the program rate you will get more accurate dynamic changes, but you will lose the ability to perceive the tone of the samples, thus eliminating what makes Nebula so great.

Regardless... Perfect comp plugin combination of all time... Nebula and Kush UBK-1. UBK-1 does exactly what Nebula can't do; fast action, generate movement, just plain unexpected results that fuel creative choices. Also, Kush has an ability to inject analog character on par with what Nebula is known for. I use Nebula for the bread and butter, 4dB and under compression, med to slow attack and release.

The examples of the Rayphlex trying to slam the drum loop perfectly illustrate what I call the "Nebula Envelope". Once Nebula is asked to change the dynamics too rapidly, it chokes and reveals the envelope of the engine itself, if that makes any sense. That's why, to me, when you push any Nebula compressor beyond 6dB GR territory, they all start sounding the same (aside from the harmonic coloration).
I think you are partly right but having the CDSoundmaster Drum collection Id say Nebula can do the pumping groove of analogue compression. I agree you cant obliterate a drum track with Nebula compression programs-but I find it quite rare I actually want to do that...and to be honest - whilst UBK1 is an excellent plugin and has all the advantages of being very useable - the sound itself is ultimately still 'plugin' like - whereas with Nebula I dont get that...
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I think you are partly right but having the CDSoundmaster Drum collection Id say Nebula can do the pumping groove of analogue compression. I agree you can obliterate a drum track with Nebula compression programs-but I find it quite rare I actually want to do that...and to be honest - whilst UBK1 is an excellent plugin and has all the advantages of being very useable - the sound itself is ultimately still 'plugin' like - whereas with Nebula I dont get that...
100% agreed. The Drum Compressor is absolutely fantastic for that pumping analog feel.

I use Nebula with UBK-1 and find it to be the perfect combo.
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drecchiarex View Post

Great post, the Nebula really isn't for extreme compression. I personally HATE using another VST after the Nebula coloration, because I also want the dynamics of the actual hardware unit. For example, the Fenix (TC Phoenix), which is vari-mu, has very unique attack & release times and dynamic behavior.

On the other hand, I'm mostly using GR >4dB, so i think I'm safe

I also wanna thank Jeebus for giving me these insane dream tools. :bow:
Old 11th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Great post, the Nebula really isn't for extreme compression. I personally HATE using another VST after the Nebula coloration, because I also want the dynamics of the actual hardware unit. For example, the Fenix (TC Phoenix), which is vari-mu, has very unique attack & release times and dynamic behavior.

On the other hand, I'm mostly using GR >4dB, so i think I'm safe

I also wanna thank Jeebus for giving me these insane dream tools. :bow:
yeah Im not into that Nebula plug algo philosophy...because I dont feel algo compression is very musical...

How do you find the Fenix? Does it have decent compression behaviour or is it more for colouring...?
Old 11th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Are they doing 96kHz yet? I can't hang with 44.1kHz only.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search