The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 9th December 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Does anyone know other nebula libraries that does heavy saturation the way TimP's T-Tape does?

Old 10th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Does anyone know other nebula libraries that does heavy saturation the way TimP's T-Tape does?

I have some others using the same technique.

Dualtech pre

vari-level pre

37j Pre/de emphasis(this is a lot more subtle though)
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I would not ignore Jim, he's got more experience than most of us will ever have in Pro Audio, just understand he's after the most pristine signal path possible, which the Harrison 32c is NOT. Different tools for different purposes for different people's needs.

I've worked on 2 different 32c's and while they have a sound of their own, I would have zero issue mixing anything on them and I'll be picking up Alex B's H32 for the tonal options it will bring to my digital work.
Jim is a legend, and for good reason. His knowledge of the electronics inside gear is second to none. Thing is, as Will said, his take on things is a pristine, clean, and efficient signal path, and one of his specialities is to modify existing pieces with the right components to achieve that, and he is an expert at doing so. He is also quite vocal about his observations and disparaging to the choices made, component wise, in many pieces he has worked on. That's all well and good, and he has my respect. Thing is, everyone is looking for different things from the gear they use, and many of the pieces i have owned and used over the years have been noisey, coloured, distorted and generally, not-too-pristine, and/or efficient (electronically speaking) but, that's the way i liked it at the time, and i got that piece usually for this very reason. So what we can deduce from this is, one-size-does-not-fit-all..........and people's want/needs/wishes are often very different. Taking nothing away from Jim Williams though, he deserves a big respect for his contributions to the game, but the vision of sonics shared by one, may not be the vision of sonics shared by another.
Old 10th December 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
I have some others using the same technique.

Dualtech pre

vari-level pre

37j Pre/de emphasis(this is a lot more subtle though)
Thank you! The clippers you included with these libraries are separate from the units you sampled, right? They are not integral with the hardware?
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Jim is a legend, and for good reason. His knowledge of the electronics inside gear is second to none. Thing is, as Will said, his take on things is a pristine, clean, and efficient signal path, and one of his specialities is to modify existing pieces with the right components to achieve that, and he is an expert at doing so. He is also quite vocal about his observations and disparaging to the choices made, component wise, in many pieces he has worked on. That's all well and good, and he has my respect. Thing is, everyone is looking for different things from the gear they use, and many of the pieces i have owned and used over the years have been noisey, coloured, distorted and generally, not-too-pristine, and/or efficient (electronically speaking) but, that's the way i liked it at the time, and i got that piece usually for this very reason. So what we can deduce from this is, one-size-does-not-fit-all..........and people's want/needs/wishes are often very different. Taking nothing away from Jim Williams though, he deserves a big respect for his contributions to the game, but the vision of sonics shared by one, may not be the vision of sonics shared by another.
I'm in the process of modifying some microphones at the moment (just recently put a K-47 capsule in one and it sounds great! But it'll need some circuit upgrades. Finding parts is difficult these days ... but that's a whole other conversation), and Jim contributed to the thread I started and gave some invaluable tips. Only later was I starstruck when I discovered that he's worked on electronics for Frank Zappa and others. Pretty amazing that there's the opportunity to connect on here with people like him across generations and continents of space. Anyway, Jim deserves my biggest respect as well.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear
This Jim thing won't die. I didn't suggest that he didn't know his stuff. Call him a legend if you must.

But precisely because he is so senior is why he bears much more responsibility than most. Casual comments from him that reflect his personal taste to those that do not know this, perhaps look up to him even, are not aligned with such a position of authority.

Admittedly his quote was out of context and maybe it was not as irresponsible as it appeared above in this thread. I have ignored Jim regarding his opinion on the Harry based on the fact that the console was used by some of the greatest of all time.

If I need a mic mod I'd have no hesitation seeking him out. But his dismissal of one of the most favored consoles of all time shouldn't be accepted.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Yes, you're right. I neglected to consider this. Or their density. And I assumed they were white! Apologies for my careless analysis. I'll go hide under my console now. It's not a Harrison, but I don't deserve to hide under something so soft and pillowy as that...
LOL .. density XD , I've been laughing inside to the whole idea for days. So daft stuff! I think no one meant to disrespect the man, just fooling around the hyperbole
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
Samplitude has its own sound also!
I'm happy not being the one to mention it in this thread, this time.
But I wonder if someone compared Mixbus with Honey or Alex library ?
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
I'm happy not being the one to mention it in this thread, this time.
But I wonder if someone compared Mixbus with Honey or Alex library ?
Mixbus 32c eq beats UAD's Harrison 32c imo but both Honey and AlexB spank Mixbus 32c. A happy compromise Ive found is using Mixbus 4 with Honey. I use this setup when the song is appropriate.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
This Jim thing won't die. I didn't suggest that he didn't know his stuff. Call him a legend if you must.

But precisely because he is so senior is why he bears much more responsibility than most. Casual comments from him that reflect his personal taste to those that do not know this, perhaps look up to him even, are not aligned with such a position of authority.

Admittedly his quote was out of context and maybe it was not as irresponsible as it appeared above in this thread. I have ignored Jim regarding his opinion on the Harry based on the fact that the console was used by some of the greatest of all time.

If I need a mic mod I'd have no hesitation seeking him out. But his dismissal of one of the most favored consoles of all time shouldn't be accepted.
Shouldn't be 'accepted'? Irresponsible? Eyh?

I don't agree with all that Jim says, but why is that a problem or why should Jim act differently? Last I checked it is up to everyone to take of the world the opinions they see fit.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear
Karloff70, as long as you're ok that's all that matters.

I'm done with this foolishness.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

even Jim says Thank-you.
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
... Call him a legend if you must ... his dismissal of one of the most favored consoles of all time shouldn't be accepted.
I don’t think anyone’s opinions, comments or observations here are subject to acceptance or denial, only consideration.

You may disagree with an opinion, but critiquing the sharing of that opinion seems over the top. Isn’t that mostly what we’re here to do?
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Karloff70, as long as you're ok that's all that matters.

I'm done with this foolishness.
What, you reckon Jim being Jim is going to make someone 'not be ok'? Sorry for not being into people calling to 'censor people'....lol
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Head

Is there a Dimension D for nebula? Uad is having their sale and can pick it up for $50 but I'm trying to stay away from uad plugs and would like a nebula if I could get it or any other suggestions you guys have. Also what are the best tape sims comparable to uad studer and ampex for nebula or acustica style? Thanks
Old 13th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by systmu View Post
Also what are the best tape sims comparable to uad studer and ampex for nebula or acustica style? Thanks
check out cdsoundmaster for APEX:
CDSoundMaster Audio Software

He also have some Studer in this collection:
CDSoundMaster Audio Software

But over cds, I'd recommend you to check Tim P's 37J (Studer) and T-Tape (Nagra Heavy Saturation) here:
Tape Machines Archives - Tim Petherick

My favorite by far.
Old 13th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Is there a Dimension D for nebula? Uad is having their sale and can pick it up for $50 but I'm trying to stay away from uad plugs and would like a nebula if I could get it or any other suggestions you guys have. Also what are the best tape sims comparable to uad studer and ampex for nebula or acustica style? Thanks

Sknote has a nice emulation.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by martman22 View Post
Sknote has a nice emulation.
Agreed. I believe there’s a UAD Dimension D, but I haven’t heard it. Of the algo options (I tried a few years ago) I love the SKnote DDD most.
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Agreed. I believe there’s a UAD Dimension D, but I haven’t heard it. Of the algo options (I tried a few years ago) I love the SKnote DDD most.
Ok Cool I will check out the sknote version. I demoed the UAD version and really like it but I would prefer not to get any Uad plugins if I don't have to. I want to get an Ampex Tape, Fairchild 670, and bx20, emt 140 for Nebula. I tested a bunch of uad and these stuck out. I really don't want to have to buy them on uad though lol so if anyone knows a 670 nebula program. I will check out the timp tapes and vnxt for plates(or who for nebula plates) and cupwise for bx20. I just don't know about the fairchild and I can't afford ultramarine. Thanks.

Btw I bought the great spring from timp and one instance breaks up on my i7 at 48khz. Am I supposed to change something in the settings or something? Thanks
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok Cool I will check out the sknote version. I demoed the UAD version and really like it but I would prefer not to get any Uad plugins if I don't have to. I want to get an Ampex Tape, Fairchild 670, and bx20, emt 140 for Nebula. I tested a bunch of uad and these stuck out. I really don't want to have to buy them on uad though lol so if anyone knows a 670 nebula program. I will check out the timp tapes and vnxt for plates(or who for nebula plates) and cupwise for bx20. I just don't know about the fairchild and I can't afford ultramarine. Thanks.

Btw I bought the great spring from timp and one instance breaks up on my i7 at 48khz. Am I supposed to change something in the settings or something? Thanks
Ampex - CDSoundmaster

Fairchild - Cupwise

Bx20 - Cupwise or VNXT

EMT - Cupwise or VNXT

I recommend getting all you want from Cupwise. Great developer, he is still active, and he updates the libraries sometimes.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Btw I bought the great spring from timp and one instance breaks up on my i7 at 48khz.
FWIW, Tim has been hard at work on updating his verbs, v2 of his springs are in beta along with a killer Tea Room v2 verb, with his new techniques for distance, mic placement, and pre-delay. Great Spring has a v2 also but the skin is not ready yet.

To all - I know I've been critical of the lack of N4 skins, but as soon as you use TimP/JPN's N4 skins (even on verbs), you'll quickly understand why I'm pushing the issue. IMHO, the Tea Verb skin makes every other Nebula verb pale in workflow feedback and speed comparison...... it should be the standard moving forward.

To each their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-tea-room-v2.jpeg   Nebula must have-marsh-v2.jpeg   Nebula must have-solid-spring-v2.jpeg  
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW, Tim has been hard at work on updating his verbs, v2 of his springs are in beta along with a killer Tea Room v2 verb, with his new techniques for distance, mic placement, and pre-delay. Great Spring has a v2 also but the skin is not ready yet.

To all - I know I've been critical of the lack of N4 skins, but as soon as you use TimP/JPN's N4 skins (even on verbs), you'll quickly understand why I'm pushing the issue. IMHO, the Tea Verb skin makes every other Nebula verb pale in workflow feedback and speed comparison...... it should be the standard moving forward.

To each their own.
Agreed. Even if we have to fund it ourselves.

I don't bother with non skin N4s anymore (bar consoles/filters). I know it's about sound, but I prefer sound + usability.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Head

Thanks SameOh Ok I bought the 660, bx20 and plates of legend 1 (emt 140) from cupwise. I also picked up the nolard, yourei filters and casette verb. Looks like my order is "on hold though" I hope it comes soon. The cdsoundmaster ampex will have to wait I think but I grabbed the demos. BTW Has anyone sampled the Hedd 192 Tape for Nebula?

Also I figured out if I increase dspbuffer in mast in nebula 3 to 1024 the reverb works without breaking up and cpu drops down to normal though still a little buggy. Sometimes it starts messing up if I load vst while playing back or save and I have to restart the daw. Are there any other settings I should be playing with? At least It's not noise bursting. Thanks
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Coordinate NEBULA's DSPBuffer with your soundcard buffer for best optimization.

note: there are no other NEB settings to change. The only consideration is using a PreSet that has fewer KERNELS [lite version].
Old 15th December 2017
Gear Head

aww Ok I figured out the problem is just my "daw" lol everything is working fine in reaper. Hey has anyone done and hard distortions for nebula like the UAD cultue vulture? or Is that even possible? Thanks.
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
aww Ok I figured out the problem is just my "daw" lol everything is working fine in reaper. Hey has anyone done and hard distortions for nebula like the UAD cultue vulture? or Is that even possible? Thanks.
Yes, we have 2.....

1. Transcending Music Studios VCult..... not sure if it is still available.
2. Henry Olonga CV1 & CV2 & CVT.... inside his free "All You Can Eat".

These are sets with limited control, AA is just now bringing IR distortion with control to market in core 11.
Old 15th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, we have 2.....

These are sets with limited control, AA is just now bringing IR distortion with control to market in core 11.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, we have 2.....

These are static sets, AA is just now bringing IR distortion with control to market in core 11.

Vari level, dualtech, t-tape and 37j are transfer curve distortions.... I can emulate a high amounts of saturation using this technique..... they are not the standard way of sampling...

If this isn’t a hard distortion?
Hybrid Clipping by TimPetherick - Listen to music

And made nearly 2 years ago
Old 15th December 2017
Quote:
Vari level, dualtech, t-tape and 37j are transfer curve distortions.... I can emulate a high amounts of saturation using this technique..... they are not the standard way of sampling...

If this isn’t a hard distortion?
Hybrid Clipping by TimPetherick - Listen to music

And made nearly 2 years ago
Hey Tim,

Dont brag sir, we all know you're next level.

Or at least people that know, know !

Keep em comming !

You the man !
Old 15th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Tim, I was just listing the Culture Vulture libraries, you've clearly beat everyone in Nebula with clippers and incorporating harmonic distortion in your libraries.
Old 15th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Niiiiiiiiiiiice Tim I'm digging the Dualtech Preamp distortion. The Varilevel clip is nice too . Can we get more Dist though? I guess I could chain a couple. I don't own the tapes but how much distortion do the tapes have compared to the dualtech? a couple dualtechs chained together do me nicely. Thanks!

Wow core 11 is going to have distortion iR? I guess I don't need to buy culture vulture now. Btw I can not find that Vcult. Websites are down. And I have HO all you can eat but can't find those. What sub folder are they under? Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search