The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Great news! Does anyone have a list of what 3rd party libraries have had N4 skins? I've stuck with N3 so far without setups nd it's a little difficult going back and figuring that out on some of their websites (no complaints on that mind you, I appreciate they are not HTML gurus, saving us costs etc)

Could be a useful list for all of us.
None for AlexB. TimP has a thread on the AA forum listing N4 skins.

Not seen a list for Cupwise's N4 skins.
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great news! Does anyone have a list of what 3rd party libraries have had N4 skins? I've stuck with N3 so far without setups nd it's a little difficult going back and figuring that out on some of their websites (no complaints on that mind you, I appreciate they are not HTML gurus, saving us costs etc)

Could be a useful list for all of us.
Here it is:

Facebook
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
None for AlexB. TimP has a thread on the AA forum listing N4 skins.

Not seen a list for Cupwise's N4 skins.
David Gary has a list somewhere.

JPN is doing an AlexB for 9k console

Cupwise has a Lunchpail skin and FluctiMu too
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
David Gary has a list somewhere.

JPN is doing an AlexB for 9k console

Cupwise has a Lunchpail skin and FluctiMu too
I can confirm that most of Tim P's libraries now have N4 skins, Cupwise has Lunchpail and Flucti-mu N4 Skins, and yes JPN is beta testing 9KC console and 9KC EQ N4 skins.

Don't forget AA has Rose and Violet N4 skins too.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like there will be plenty to do once N4 setups hits.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Dear Nebuloids, got to tell you: I've just pulled the trigger!!! Acqua Warm Pack + Gold took billions of GB on my macbook today!
Very curios about your proposals for a slow 74bmp indie alternative pop song: acoustic drums (lot of toms), some creamy fender jazz bass, a dark pad, some crunch guitars, a silent male voice.

I've only put Purple on the kick drum: sounds amazing. Still haven't compared Purple directly to Pultecs of IK Multimedia and UAD, but I'll do it soon.

Aquamarine (no idea)
Ultramarine (fairch. - mstr bus comp gonna try it ot mixmus)
Sand-Fab4 (ssl, gonna used it for single channels eq)
Coral (no idea)
White (pultec ok)
Pink (api)
Purple-Bundle (pultec ok)
Scarlet (no idea)
Titanium (no idea)
Pink Compressors Bundle (api comp?)
Lime (neve 88? no idea what for)
Gold (neve 1073 for main vocal, right?)
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Dear Nebuloids, got to tell you: I've just pulled the trigger!!! Acqua Warm Pack + Gold took billions of GB on my macbook today!
Very curios about your proposals for a slow 74bmp indie alternative pop song: acoustic drums (lot of toms), some creamy fender jazz bass, a dark pad, some crunch guitars, a silent male voice.

I've only put Purple on the kick drum: sounds amazing. Still haven't compared Purple directly to Pultecs of IK Multimedia and UAD, but I'll do it soon.

Aquamarine (no idea)
Ultramarine (fairch. - mstr bus comp gonna try it ot mixmus)
Sand-Fab4 (ssl, gonna used it for single channels eq)
Coral (no idea)
White (pultec ok)
Pink (api)
Purple-Bundle (pultec ok)
Scarlet (no idea)
Titanium (no idea)
Pink Compressors Bundle (api comp?)
Lime (neve 88? no idea what for)
Gold (neve 1073 for main vocal, right?)
There is an Acqua thread. This one is for Nebula. Go there, lots of informations, and people will help you a lot.

Anyway, welcome. Aquamarine is a Shadow Hills with some modifications, Coral is a SPL Iron with modifications too. Lime is Neve 88 series, Gold is vintage Neves (more than one model).

Recommendations? They are all good. But try Gold anywhere you want a colorful EQ. It maybe has the most "analog" sound you'll ever find ITB. And try Coral compressor on the Mix-Buss, very smooth action, adds a lot of depth and widens the stereo image.

Man, you have a lot of tests to do. Demo them all and get the ones that works best.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
There is an Acqua thread. This one is for Nebula. Go there, lots of informations, and people will help you a lot.
Yesterday he asked about Nebula in the Acqua thread and I said go here instead, so you can blame me I guess. LoL
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Dear friends, just don't
play with an old man please.
Let's talk about those convos
regardless of the name,
They're all amazing.
Anyway, it's all the same.

Just tried the Aquamarine: Yes, if the best algos are at 90% of the hardware sound, the Acustica is at 97%.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arseny View Post
Dear friends, just don't
play with an old man please.
Let's talk about those convos
regardless of the name,
They're all amazing.
Anyway, it's all the same.

Just tried the Aquamarine: Yes, if the best algos are at 90% of the hardware sound, the Acustica is at 97%.
Hello, we only discuss Nebula on this thread, the main Acqua thread is for all Aqua talk. While they are using the same basic technology, Nebula and Acqua's are different products. We like to keep the topic on this thread Nebula and simply ask you to stay on topic please.

We'll help you here with any Nebula issue or question you have.

Please re-post any Acqua questions or comments here:
Acustica audio acqua plugins general discussion
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

JPN's 9KC console skins in beta.

While some developers don't see much advantage with N4 skins, I can say they help make my N4 experience a totally different workflow from N3 and I'll continue to support any developer who takes the time to include them moving forward.

Also, JPN is a blessing to all of us, and his work is at the heart of my N4 appreciation.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-9kc-master.jpg   Nebula must have-pkc-panner.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
JPN's 9KC console skins in beta.

While some developers don't see much advantage with N4 skins, I can say they help make my N4 experience a totally different workflow from N3 and I'll continue to support any developer who takes the time to include them moving forward.

Also, JPN is a blessing to all of us, and his work is at the heart of my N4 appreciation.
That's cool! It almost kinda sorta makes me think (just a little bit) that I shoulda' bought 9KC. LOL.

Will, since you are a beta-tester, is jpn doing skins for any more of AlexB's consoles? (I'm just curious. And, it's totally okay if you don't answer this.)

I don't think that skins are exactly necessary for consoles. But, man I can see how some of this eye-candy is just inspiring. Very nice.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Bar consoles/filters, I tend to stick with N4 libraries with skins. So much nicer to use.

I wonder how hard/easy it is to make a generic skin template that can work with any library. All you need (graphically) is a background and some knobs.

You then create an XML (or whatever) file from the template, and edit it for that particular library preset by adding the definition of each knob i.e. 'Threshold' (label), '1,2,3,4,5,6,7' (values/range), '1' (Position - each knob will have set positions), 'XYZ' (Preset element - link to the function it references, threshold in this case). Then compile into N2S format.

It all hinges on the accessibility (I/O) of libraries and the means to reference the functions (and their ranges / variables). What's the coupling between the N2S file and the nebula library? Is it hard coded from within the library itself?

@zaphod - who can I speak to about this? I was a UI designer in a previous job and would be happy to put some effort in here.

Last edited by b0se; 3rd December 2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 3rd December 2017
TNC
Lives for gear

I have a question. With AlexB's preamps, is there any difference between increasing the saturation control vs increasing the input in terms of harmonics?
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Bar consoles/filters, I tend to stick with N4 libraries with skins. So much nicer to use.

I wonder how hard/easy it is to make a generic skin template that can work with any library. All you need (graphically) is a background and some knobs.

You then create an XML (I presume) file from the template, and edit it for that particular library preset by adding the definition of each knob i.e. 'Threshold' (label), '1,2,3,4,5,6,7' (values/range), '1' (Position - each knob will have set positions), 'XYZ' (Preset element - link to the function it references, threshold in this case).

It all hinges on the accessibility (I/O) of libraries and the means to reference the functions (and their ranges / variables).

@zaphod - who can I speak to about this? I was a UI designer in a previous job and would be happy to put some effort in here.
In his Hycor/Smaltec Filters thread here on GS, Cupwise asked if anyone would be interested in making some skins for his libraries. Maybe you should check with him, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupwise View Post
BUT maybe somebody else out there would like to offer their graphic skillz to do a bunch of skins for some of my non-comp libraries? with only the libraries themselves as payment? (contact me)
Cupwise Nebula release- Hycor Passive Filters + Smaltec HP/LP

Last edited by wagz; 4th December 2017 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: I mentioned the wrong thread. Corrected.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
In his Lunchpail thread here on GS, Cupwise asked if anyone would be interested in making some skins for his libraries. Make you should check with him, too?
Cheers for the heads up!
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's cool! It almost kinda sorta makes me think (just a little bit) that I shoulda' bought 9KC. LOL.

Will, since you are a beta-tester, is jpn doing skins for any more of AlexB's consoles? (I'm just curious. And, it's totally okay if you don't answer this.)

I don't think that skins are exactly necessary for consoles. But, man I can see how some of this eye-candy is just inspiring. Very nice.
Right now he's doing the 9KC console and EQ, and he has not shared any plans......... but my bet will be he slowly does them all.

The thing with the N4 skins is that it turns Nebula into a normal-ish looking plugin, speeding up the workflow and making it a more pleasing visual experience. Every time I pull up a N3 library it's a deflating visual experience, lol.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right now he's doing the 9KC console and EQ, and he has not shared any plans......... but my bet will be he slowly does them all.

The thing with the N4 skins is that it turns Nebula into a normal-ish looking plugin, speeding up the workflow and making it a more pleasing visual experience. Every time I pull up a N3 library it's a deflating visual experience, lol.
Indeed, my only concern with having the skins, is that I miss the availability of the input and output knobs that are always available on the left side of the plug-in when you don’t have a skin. I wish those were still available when the library was skinned.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Indeed, my only concern with having the skins, is that I miss the availability of the input and output knobs that are always available on the left side of the plug-in when you don’t have a skin. I wish those were still available when the library was skinned.
On his 9KC skins he has gain on all except the panner.... but I'll pass the suggestion along to him.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
On his 9KC skins he has gain on all except the panner.... but I'll pass the suggestion along to him.
That's great to hear Will, (especially since I just bought 9KC last week). And thanks!
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I share the same concern/issue.

Maybe I'm so use to the 'stock' N-4 GUI layout ... but I find many of the Skins are more cumbersome [there are exceptions]. As cor Console presets, the custom Skin offers nothing.

Granted, the custom Skins do help separate/identify different library presets. Maybe the alternate 'skin' applies better for Compression type libraries for my interaction.

2. I would NOT stop, or avoid, an N-4 library for not having a custom skin. With all the available ACQUAS that might be designated for the brunt work, they do not eliminate N-4 as a vital tool for my work.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

But don't you find the Neb setups plus N3 skins satisfying? I'm pretty pleased with that combo. Am I missing something (apart from the apparently more refined N4 sound)?
Old 5th December 2017
I dont remember where I read this but I think one could ask JPN directly to do a custom skin for his N4 Library.

Of course, that person would need to pay for it.

People might want to consider this and maybe do group buy or such.

Just an idea....
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I dont remember where I read this but I think one could ask JPN directly to do a custom skin for his N4 Library.

Of course, that person would need to pay for it.

People might want to consider this and maybe do group buy or such.

Just an idea....
Already in discussion (2 days ago) with him about making a generic N4 Skin where users can purchase. Price wise, he will decide and soooo....just be patient as he need to finish up AlexB 9K Console/EQ first
Old 5th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Already in discussion (2 days ago) with him about making a generic N4 Skin where users can purchase. Price wise, he will decide and soooo....just be patient as he need to finish up AlexB 9K Console/EQ first
Cool.

I'd pay for a SP79 skin.

This is one I use a lot.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Already in discussion with him to make a generic N4 Skin for users to buy. Price wise, he will decide and soooo....just be patient as he need to finish up AlexB 9K Console/EQ first
Rather than go in on a group buy for a single skin, I'd much rather pay for a detailed tutorial on how to make my own custom N4 skins. "Teach a man to fish..." and all that.

Failing that, I made a request on the Acustica site for a skin builder/skin library. I hope that Acustica will look into that. Obviously, I'm not the only one that would like custom skins for N4 libraries. jpn does very nice work! But, I just don't see how he would even have the time to make N4 skins for most of the libraries I have.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Cool.

I'd pay for a SP79 skin.

This is one I use a lot.
Assuming that jpn charges $100 per skin, I'm guessing SP79 and several other AlexB libraries may go up in price when Aquarius is firmly in place. Speaking of Aquarius and the future, I expect that even without jpn skins, N4 libraries would possibly go up in price simply to offset the cost of N4 licensing fees.

Also, if the collection of licensing fees and N4 library purchases are going to be handled through Aquarius and Acustica's store (maybe this is a wrong assumption on my part?), does that mean that we will possibly be able to demo/trial console libraries in the future?

And, how will all of the updates work with guys like Cupwise and Tim P continuously updating and improving their libraries? Will that also be handled through Aquarius?

Last edited by wagz; 6th December 2017 at 01:58 AM..
Old 5th December 2017
I'm happy you have time for that.

I don't and would pay what's needed for a skin for SP79.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
But don't you find the Neb setups plus N3 skins satisfying? I'm pretty pleased with that combo. Am I missing something (apart from the apparently more refined N4 sound)?
To me N3 feels like a 2007 tool while N4 feels like a 2017 tool.

While I loved N3 setups for creating a fast loading library, most N3 skins are very generic and all the same basic cluttered design with extra unused knobs or sliders. You also can not share your custom setups easily. N4 is becoming a very standardized yet streamlined tool and will soon be a part of Aquarius with N4 setups coming sometime in 2018 too. All of these small improvements have made my N4 workflow experience more enjoyable then my N3 workflow experience. In fact each time I use N3 now I take a calming breath as it slows my creative flow due to small windows, lack of presets and random un-tuned cluttered skins. Over the past year I had abandoned the N3 skins and was using the basic silver skin to speed up my workflow.

N4 just stays out of my way more, also loads smoother, has more core features, and sounds a bit better stacked IMHO. Once the 3rd party dev actually start using N4's new core features our libraries quality and quantity will expand even more, IE clipping, distortion, full reverb control, and compressors. I dream of the day Tim P is making core 11 compressors or Cupwise is making core 11 distortion libraries.

The Acqua advances from the past 4 years are not yet in our N4 libraries as the 3rd party dev's are still using core 5-6 to develop while we have core 11 in Lift. As Nebula catches up I'm very excited to see what N4 adds moving forward.

As always to each their own.
Old 5th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Assuming that jpn charges $100 per skin, I'm guessing SP79 and several other AlexB libraries may go up in price when Aquarius is firmly in place. Speaking of Aquarius and the future, I expect that even without jpn skins, N4 libraries would possibly go up in price simply to offset the cost of N4 licensing fees.

Also, if the collection of licensing fees and N4 library purchases are going to be handled through and Aquarius and Acustica's store (maybe this is a wrong assumption on my part?), does that mean that we will possibly be able to demo/trial console libraries in the future?

And, how will all of the updates work with guys like Cupwise and Tim P continuously updating and improving their libraries? Will that also be handled through Aquarius?
I just updated Ruby in Aquarius, took 10 minutes total (855MB) and all the while it was 2 mouse clicks of work and I was on GS posting about N4 and it's now done, super easy updating. That 10 minutes includes me copying the Ruby update to my DAW computer. That was over an hour of work before now done in 10 minutes. (I also moved my Cobalt update from yesterday too)

So imagine all your N4 libraries with updates all in Aquarius you update by clicking the update all button. No wondering what vendor updated what and looking on GS hoping you got their email, no navigating a 3rd party site, that work will all be gone as Aquarius contains everything under one location in one program there for you to see all at once.

AA is streamlining everything to Aquarius for a fluid user experience moving forward, I held back from Aquarius at first but I can't imagine going back to the dashboard system now..... I'm annoyed AA still makes me visit my dashboard to download the manuals, but I've sent that request in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search