The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear
AlexB has stated somewhere that his compressors aren't meant for squashing. Theyre tone boxes that work best with only 1 to 2 dB of reduction.

For comp action in Neb use a T2 comp (Tim or Tim...).
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Nut

I apologize if this is a bit too off topic but is there anything to do about Nebula load times? I've been using Nebula since at least 2011 but lately I started using almost all algos and have really enjoyed not waiting 5-10 minutes for my Sonar files to load and save.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha View Post
I apologize if this is a bit too off topic but is there anything to do about Nebula load times? I've been using Nebula since at least 2011 but lately I started using almost all algos and have really enjoyed not waiting 5-10 minutes for my Sonar files to load and save.
Are you using SSD?

Or are you using Nebula setups (Nebula 3 only) to lower how many programs are loading per instance?

Otherwise I'm not sure anything else can be done. Sonar (RIP) is much faster loading sessions than Pro Tools over here.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj View Post
Are you using SSD?

Or are you using Nebula setups (Nebula 3 only) to lower how many programs are loading per instance?
I do have a dedicated SSD but have not used Setups. Does that improve loading time significantly? And if so, is it extensive to set up?

Quote:
Sonar (RIP)
RIP?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do have a dedicated SSD but have not used Setups. Does that improve loading time significantly? And if so, is it extensive to set up?
Yes it can... when Nebula is loaded as is, it does a sort of scan of everything in your library... the larger the library, the longer the scan time. One can use Nebula setups to make individual Nebula VST libraries (which load very very quickly) or any combination of libraries... for example, I have separate Nebula EQ, Nebula Compressors, Nebula Preamp Console and Tape, and Nebula Reverb Delays and FX VSTs.

It's fairly easy to setup... just choose the programs you want and name and save the VST. It is said that this function will eventually be available in Nebula 4... so I'd say the biggest drawback at this point is that one may not use this for very much longer if you're currently split between Nebula 3 and 4.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

RIP?
Did you not hear? Gibson killed Sonar this last week.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes it can... when Nebula is loaded as is, it does a sort of scan of everything in your library... the larger the library, the longer the scan time. One can use Nebula setups to make individual Nebula VST libraries (which load very very quickly) or any combination of libraries... for example, I have separate Nebula EQ, Nebula Compressors, Nebula Preamp Console and Tape, and Nebula Reverb Delays and FX VSTs.

It's fairly easy to setup... just choose the programs you want and name and save the VST. It is said that this function will eventually be available in Nebula 4... so I'd say the biggest drawback at this point is that one may not use this for very much longer if you're currently split between Nebula 3 and 4.
Ok, will check that out.

One question though: Does Nebula scan the library when saving too? That seems odd.

Quote:
Did you not hear? Gibson killed Sonar this last week.
No, had not heard. I wonder if I can get my money back given I just finally upgraded to Platinum a couple weeks ago. Unbelievable. Been using Cakewalk since Twelve Tone Cakewalk 3 in 1995. Wow.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, will check that out.

One question though: Does Nebula scan the library when saving too? That seems odd.

No, had not heard. I wonder if I can get my money back given I just finally upgraded to Platinum a couple weeks ago. Unbelievable. Been using Cakewalk since Twelve Tone Cakewalk 3 in 1995. Wow.
Yeah, I guess any DAW selling lifetime updates is bound to go under and Gibson definitely didn't care to take people's money knowing they were going to kill it. What a horrible company. I've been using since '95 as well. I loved Cakewalk 3!
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, will check that out.

Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not certain what each DAW needs to do to save.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, but I'm not certain what each DAW needs to do to save.
I ask because I'm having as much of a problem with saving as loading
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I ask because I'm having as much of a problem with saving as loading
Hmmm. Not sure if I can help you there... Using, Ableton Live, Sonar and Pro Tools without saving issues. Haven't seen a ton of Nebula users on the Sonar forums, but it might be worth asking there.
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
0) I don't have those Acquas you mentioned, so I'll just give general advice:

It can be a plus to have different tonal options that the ones you have in Acqua form. They will likely sound different because the sampling processes and equipment used by the Acustica and third-party devs are different, even if the gear they sample is similar.

1) I don't have N14. So, I can't answer this from experience. But, based on the audio clips, MFC sounds like it's puffier, has more depth or a wider soundstage, and is less gritty than N14. I do wonder whether or not MFC sounds too big. Personally, I've been using Tim P's Blue 1102 Pre on most tracks coupled with SP79 Clean on the buses to get a sweet tone with a little classic Neve vibe. But, I do experiment with A16 and MFC to see if I like them
on certain buses.

2) I own N54 (nice weight in the low end) and have the CLG. My advice here is to back way off the threshold and just use your ears to probably just barely hit those compressors (if you want a more open sound). Personally, I've found the Nebula gain reduction indicators fairly useless and inaccurate. If you totally crush your track to the point that it's 2d and pancaked (no dynamics), no console is gonna undo that overcompression. Also, if you're gonna go heavy on the compression, you could try to reintroduce into the mix (in parallel) some dry signal of whatever you're pulverizing.

3) AlexB does things differently than Tim P. Instead of making separate preamp programs for his libraries, typically, he'll offer programs with more/fewer kernels and separate regular/driven versions.

4) What makes the most sense, in my opinion, is that you use any processor that you choose to use to mix and match to get a tone that you like. If it sounds good, cool! Besides, due to the cumbersome nature of the N4 workflow, it would probably be more efficient or convenient to only select N4 programs for specific tasks (like giving you the tone of a 2254) and rely on your Acquas to handle the brunt of the processing duties.
Hi,
thanks very much for your detailed reply!

I understand and will try some Alex B stuff: I want to see if this Alex B colour that I can hear in the dynamics programs demos will translate in more open, less glossy mixes compared to Acquas.

'it would probably be more efficient or convenient to only select N4 programs for specific tasks'
: Yes, this might also bring down the cpu consumption a bit.

It is interesting that you say 'I do wonder whether or not MFC sounds too big': I would expext n14 to sound less 'superhuman' and will give that one a try.

N54 or CLG Chandly for slightest compressing and more for their weight and colours: If I have to go with only one for now: Is one better done than the other?

VMeq v2 or the T95 TFKeq for the masterbus. Have you got any experience with those ... and how they work as musical instrument eqs as well? T95 sounds like a great, dense sounding eq which could suit many applications, right?

This might be a good starting point I guess...

Thanks again to everyone sharing your thoughts!

Last edited by gearsuser; 26th November 2017 at 11:49 PM..
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
AlexB has stated somewhere that his compressors aren't meant for squashing. Theyre tone boxes that work best with only 1 to 2 dB of reduction.

For comp action in Neb use a T2 comp (Tim or Tim...).
I've got the Tim Petherick Vari Level and it is a very good compressor indeed.
But something about the colour in the Alex B compressors seem to spread so nicely and at the same time they have some weight. I can't seem to find this 'relaxed' attitude in any of my other Acquas or e.g. Vari Level.
If the N54 or Chandly just do the sound thing while doing a light compression than that is fine... as it sounded just right on blues/rock vocals, drums and guitar.
regards
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Timp Nebula libraries CYBER MONDAY 20% Off

Unread post by Tim Petherick » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Get 20% off your cart for cyber monday!

Just use Code CYBER In the discounts section!

(From the Acustica forum.)
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,

It is interesting that you say 'I do wonder whether or not MFC sounds too big': I would expext n14 to sound less 'superhuman' and will give that one a try.

N54 or CLG Chandly for slightest compressing and more for their weight and colours: If I have to go with only one for now: Is one better done than the other?

VMeq v2 or the T95 TFKeq for the masterbus. Have you got any experience with those ... and how they work as musical instrument eqs as well? T95 sounds like a great, dense sounding eq which could suit many applications, right?

This might be a good starting point I guess...

Thanks again to everyone sharing your thoughts!
Well, I don't think you'll go wrong with the N14 or the MFC (even though I've never personally tried N14). I just know that I tend to use and prefer Tim P's Blue 1102 as my Neve flavor. MFC sounds good, but I don't seem to prefer that large, puffy, footprint. I guess that I tend to prefer a more old-school Neve-ish vibe.

Stuff like this:

For tone, I N54 and the CLG are nice. I went with the N54. But, the CLG does have this really cool thing going on. Sometimes, I try to use the demo preset in tracks because it just sounds good (especially on drums). It is more versatile than the N54, I think.

I don't have the VMeq v2. I guess I'll try the demo. I do have AlexB 's T95 PRO (Telefunken W95) and the W95S PRO (Neumann W495STB - came with the SP79 console), though. To be honest, it's been so long since I even used these that I forgot what they sound like. And, it's not because I dislike them or they have fallen out of the rotation or anything. It's just that I haven't really been very active in mixing and recording these past few years. And, to be clear, I was never at the pro level.

I'll have to refresh my memory about these eqs to even give an opinion. Sorry, I'm not much help with this. You should probably try his demos for these eqs, if you haven't already.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well, I don't think you'll go wrong with the N14 or the MFC (even though I've never personally tried N14). I just know that I tend to use and prefer Tim P's Blue 1102 as my Neve flavor. MFC sounds good, but I don't seem to prefer that large, puffy, footprint. I guess that I tend to prefer a more old-school Neve-ish vibe.

Stuff like this:

For tone, I N54 and the CLG are nice. I went with the N54. But, the CLG does have this really cool thing going on. Sometimes, I try to use the demo preset in tracks because it just sounds good (especially on drums). It is more versatile than the N54, I think.

I don't have the VMeq v2. I guess I'll try the demo. I do have AlexB 's T95 PRO (Telefunken W95) and the W95S PRO (Neumann W495STB - came with the SP79 console), though. To be honest, it's been so long since I even used these that I forgot what they sound like. And, it's not because I dislike them or they have fallen out of the rotation or anything. It's just that I haven't really been very active in mixing and recording these past few years. And, to be clear, I was never at the pro level.

I'll have to refresh my memory about these eqs to even give an opinion. Sorry, I'm not much help with this. You should probably try his demos for these eqs, if you haven't already.
Thank you, much appreciated!
'I tend to prefer a more old-school Neve-ish vibe': That's why I was thinking n14. Phew... it is really hard to choose when there is no real demo... how does one know what the sonic difference between n14 and timP's 1102 is? : )

I guess you are right, I can't go wrong starting with one of the consoles , n54 or CLG, ... and then take it from there and form an opinion how it feels when mixing.

I will try some more demos tomorrow and then probably go for mentioned emulations.

Many thanks and regards
Old 27th November 2017
Do Cupwise does any kind of black friday/cyber monday discount?
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Do Cupwise does any kind of black friday/cyber monday discount?

BFRIDAY18% is the coupon code
Old 27th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
BFRIDAY18% is the coupon code
Says it has expired , never received an email with the discount info :(
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hmmm. Not sure if I can help you there... Using, Ableton Live, Sonar and Pro Tools without saving issues. Haven't seen a ton of Nebula users on the Sonar forums, but it might be worth asking there.
Ok, will try Setups to see if that solves both saving and loading. And thanks for the info and help, fellow 95 TT CW3 brutha! haha
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Thank you, much appreciated!
'I tend to prefer a more old-school Neve-ish vibe': That's why I was thinking n14. Phew... it is really hard to choose when there is no real demo... how does one know what the sonic difference between n14 and timP's 1102 is? : )
Ok. So, I got together a bunch of quotes for you. LOL. I even learned some stuff while digging around on this site. Research albums made with 8014 (1073/N14) and 8068 (31102/ Blue 1102) consoles to get some sort of approximation of what the differences may be. I hope this is useful to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

The high frequency shelving was 10KHz instead of the 12KHz of the 1073. The mid frequency choices also differ. The internal circuitry, in terms of transformers and amplifiers, are identical.

I think that the 1073 is a buzz word, like 1272 and 1081, and, because the word/name is more commonly heard, it must be better than the others.

In the early days, the 1073 was probably the most commonly supplied channel amplifier, finding use in BCM10's, 8014's, 8024's, 8034's, 8016's, 8026's, 8028's, and a bunch of custom consoles and broadcast consoles like the 5002 and siblings.

Studios with more $$$ to spend opted for the 1084, missing from your list, but much more useful than the 1073. The 1084 had high pass and low pass filters instead of the 73's high pass only, had selectable high frequencies instead of the 73's fixed 12KHz, and had a hi-Q option on the mids not available on the '73.
The 1084 morphed into the 31102 on the 8058/68 range.

But 1084 isn't a buzz word....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker View Post
GEOFF T:

So, the 31102/1084/1073/1066/1064 as far as the preamp is concerned are exactly the same? Meaning, if I buy a 31102 or 1084 I'm getting the same preamp as the 1073?

And thanks for the perfect reply, Geoff!
Quote:
Hi

Yes, pretty much the same but don't forget that there isn't a definitive 1073 or any other module. They went through a huge number of revisions and changes that affected how circuits were loaded and how the EQ selection was handled. So there are subtle differences between an early model and a late one.

I think the 1073 went through over 20 revisions.

The 31102 is an 8.75" high 3 band derivative of the 1084.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post

On the 31102 and the 1084 you have 2 different input transformers(Belclere as compared to Marinair).

That makes them slightly different sonically.

The 31102 is a tad cleaner but not as thick.
Quote:
The 1084 is simply a 1073 with more features... switchable high frequency, Hi-Q on the mids, and both High pass and low pass filters. The circuit is otherwise identical to the 1073 but the 1073 has none of the extra goodies!

Geoff T from the "Neve 8048 vs 8078" thread on R/E/P Community - Index

The last Class A consoles were the BCM10, 8014, 8016, 8028 and 8036 (if fitted with 1064's). Plus the usual bunch of custom consoles derived from these.
8026, 8038, 8048, 8058, and 8068 consoles have all got class A somewhere in the audio path albeit not totally. 8078's have no class A circuitry.
The 8058/68/88's 31099 or 31102 is just a mic input only version of the 1073 and 1084 of earlier consoles.

But does that really matter, one might ask? There will be a difference in sound between all of them.

What matters even less, in my humble opinion, is the discrete versus non-discrete issue. I really don't think the amplifiers make that much difference, it's the type of iron in the modules that has the more significance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primal duncan View Post
You may want to consider a Neve 31102 module, it is sort of in between a 1073 and a 1081 (very musical sounding EQ). They are usually out of a Neve 8058-8068 consoles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Yes they are usually out of an 8058, 68, or 88 console... and need to have the line input modified so it has one... after that they're basically a 1084 with a much cooler cosmetic.

Now my question for the originator of this thread is "why Neve"? Have you ever tried one? Are you under the impression that it's some magic bullet that will make your recording spring to life?

Yes, they are a "client draw"... but no, they're not the be all-end all of recording. Perfectly excellent records have been made on API stuff with no Neve involvement what so ever. None of at least the first 3 Lenny Kravitz records saw a Neve anything and they sound "vintage" ... [I don't know about subsequent records... I stopped listening to his stuff after the third one].

Best of luck with the search.
From http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3...sformer#p83239 regarding N14's transformer options:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB
Hello and thank you for your comments

I have modified the MixBus of the console, upon owner demand, in two way:
1- to have a more "fat" sound by installing an additional modern Carnhill transformer switchable in series in/bypass.
2- to have a "modern" sound by switching the modern Carnhill transformer instead of the vintage ones.

Yes, the Clean is the Mixbus with the original vintage transformer (Marinair).
Marinair is different from the modern Carnhill, which is a reissue, in design and materials. Today the iron is recycled and so "it sounds" different from the pure iron used in the vintage transformers... Vintage transformers sound more full, round and warm.

Resuming:
Clean - Original Marinair
Modern - Carnhill
Fat - Carnhill+Marinair

Another great difference from the original Neev and the AMS reissues are in the electronics components, particularly the electrolytics by Philips and the power transistor by Motorola. I have replaced these hard-to-find-components into one reissued unit and now it sound a lot better... The owner is very happy.

Last edited by wagz; 27th November 2017 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Added an AlexB quote about the extra transformer options in N14
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

TimP is having a cyber Monday sale! 20% off with the code CYBER
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Says it has expired , never received an email with the discount info :(
Cupwise just extended his sales for another few more hours
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
The MFC is like working in the open galactic universe. Spacious.

Tough to describe the SP79 [at the moment] ... without over characterizing, it sounds like a Record.

Quote:
My preferred console is SP79. It just adds a certain sweetness to the audio whilst maintaining a pretty open sound. It doesn't sound harsh or nearly as gritty as some others. It's not heavy-handed (adding too much high, mid, or low, info) or congested. It just sounds "right" to me. Nice soundstage. And, it doesn't make the track sound smaller. I usually use the "Clean" preset on busses.

MFC makes things sound big. Maybe taller is the right word...? It expands your regular Cheeto to a Puffy Cheeto. Big, airy, pillowy lows, softer, slightly smudged transients. Widens the stereo image a little too, I think.

A16 sounds a bit more focused than MFC. It doesn't do the puffy thing and sounds smaller and less wide than MFC. Slightly darkens and kinda tightens up the sound while giving it a little punch.
Have you guys played with Lime at all? I'm really curious how Lime sounds in comparison to MFC and SP79... not so much in terms of sound/tone, but size and space/soundstage.

I chose Lime because of the 88 pedigree, plus it has some 1073 pres/DIs thrown in for good measure. But I'd really like to try another console too, one that widens/poofies. Would MFC or SP79 give more 'room'?
Old 27th November 2017
What the consenus here regarding the TimP LBus here compared to other algo SSL bus comps? Noticeable difference?
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Have you guys played with Lime at all? I'm really curious how Lime sounds in comparison to MFC and SP79... not so much in terms of sound/tone, but size and space/soundstage.

I chose Lime because of the 88 pedigree, plus it has some 1073 pres/DIs thrown in for good measure. But I'd really like to try another console too, one that widens/poofies. Would MFC or SP79 give more 'room'?
Lime, i only use the Comp C hahaha. Preamps, buss etc all from AlexB consoles.

MFC or SP79 provides you more ‘room’ sound from these wonderful consoles which imho is better than any Acqua’s.

I would highly recommend getting MFC, R88, SP79, N14 9KC and also A16. These consoles are enough to provide you tons and tons of colours to play with.
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Lime, i only use the Comp C hahaha . . .
Man oh man that Lime Comp C gets a lot of mentions!
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Have you guys played with Lime at all?
I haven't tried Lime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Preamps, buss etc all from AlexB consoles.

I would highly recommend getting MFC, R88, SP79, N14 9KC and also A16. These consoles are enough to provide you tons and tons of colours to play with.
I really like my AlexB consoles. Been wanting to buy that N14 library for years...
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't tried Lime.

I really like my AlexB consoles. Been wanting to buy that N14 library for years...
Go get it and AlexB is having BF/CM sale. Add this coupon code: BFCM2017
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Man oh man that Lime Comp C gets a lot of mentions!
Out of the 5 Lime Comps, Comp C sounded the best. I used it on movie scores/cues i worked on

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search