The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
Just bought Flucti-Mew after all this talk and seeing the new skin! I've used the real one a fair amount so know what to expect...

Just tried it replacing a Violet on the mixbuss of a hip hop track I'm currently mixing, didn't beat it in this application (didn't tweak too much) but I can hear already how powerful it will be on the right source.

I really love Violet (has pretty much replaced Coral Comp for me atm) and I think Flucti-Mew will be an great addition. Its got that distinct Manley buttery smooth high end.

So when are we getting a proper Fairchild with JPN Skin for N4 from one of the Tim's??
cupwise has a fairchild.

Ultramarine is a farichild aswell.

Never tried none of 'em.

A manley vari-mu will never get a proper chance if your music is not slower then 80bpm or doesnt have agressive behavior imho.

At least I wouldnt use it for this.

But I would love to be proven wrong and someone to explain me the in and out of such a fast and agressive signal into valves can bring some serious benefit like a manley does on slow ballad.
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
The tone of it sounds great. Definitely sounds superior to the Acustica plugins I mentioned.
can you send me your source.

I want to understand what you hear's wrong with it.

I'm someone that believe that the day you have learned nothing is the day you're ready to die.

So please send it here, I want to mess with it and see what you're hoping for and hear the result for myself to understand your statement.

The AA you mentioned are not Manley vari-mu but still I want to understand what you think a Manley comp is.

My Altecs doesnt react like a Manley at all but they are Vari-mu design also.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
cupwise has a fairchild.

Ultramarine is a farichild aswell.

Never tried none of 'em.

A manley vari-mu will never get a proper chance if your music is not slower then 80bpm or doesnt have agressive behavior imho.

At least I wouldnt use it for this.

But I would love to be proven wrong and someone to explain me the in and out of such a fast and agressive signal into valves can bring some serious benefit like a manley does on slow ballad.
The Cupwise is an EAR 660 not a 'proper' Fairchild and lets be honest the Ultramarine is overpriced compared to the N4 libraries we all love and many of other Aqua libraries.

I've used the EAR hardware loads and its a great compressor but its still cleaner than a genuine Fairchild. Just curious to see where the N4 libraries are going!

I got pretty happy with the Flucti Mew on my current mix (137.8BPM) with a great deal of low end (HPF 200). Violet was more aggressive tone wise and FM was smoother as expected, low end wise Violet was more transparent and bigger and FM was tighter. Less than 1dB compression was plenty! Love the smoothness and I think it might be a touch wider than Violet but I've noy really tested that...

I love the N4 skins, makes me feel less like a computer programmer. I've spent almost 20 years using hardware and now I'm ITB 100% and using Nebula for 75% of everything I want to at least look at something vaguely interesting all day.
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckel1996 View Post
Yeah, I like Violet. I've tried other Manley Vari-Mu emulations and Flucti-Mew sounds nothing like them. It sounds really wrong to my ears. Cobalt, Violet, and Ultramarine all sound correct. Could something be wrong with it? I'll post some examples of what I'm talking about tomorrow.
Sounds gainstaging related. I remember when i was using it in parallel with alot of 660's and it was super sensitive to incoming level, Much more so than any other lib i own. I love the tone of Flucti but have never liked its release times. Saying that Cupwise updated it yesterday so going to try it again. Unless you bought it since it's been updated and there is actually something wrong with the update!
Old 25th November 2017
Theres nothing wrong with the update. im using it now and its working as intended
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear
Don't know if it was already posted but there is a CDS Black Friday sale going on.
Old 25th November 2017
what does cds stand for ?
Old 25th November 2017
Old 25th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
what does cds stand for ?
CDSoundMaster Pro Audio Software Plugins
Old 25th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
lol waow, i forgot about them :(

thx !!
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Don't know if it was already posted but there is a CDS Black Friday sale going on.
Thanks for the heads up. https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?u=...&id=7e9a7f9bdd
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
Oh no ... oh no ... it's happening again .... Great library ... for great price .... Must ... resist ... spending ... cash ....

I have both TimP tapes already. Do I needthis one?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Oh no ... oh no ... it's happening again .... Great library ... for great price .... Must ... resist ... spending ... cash ....

Yes, R2R is amazing :¬)
Old 26th November 2017
Quote:

I agree with boSe, R2R is amazing but I dont use mine anymore.

I use J37 and T-Tape just like you. I dont need the rest anymore so my answer would be no, you dont need them.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with boSe, R2R is amazing but I dont use mine anymore.

I use J37 and T-Tape just like you. I dont need the rest anymore so my answer would be no, you dont need them.
I think I'm gonna pass, too. I just bought both of Cupwise's Cassette decks
and I already have CDSoundmaster's Apex library.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I'm gonna pass, too. I just bought both of Cupwise's Cassette decks
and I already have CDSoundmaster's Apex library.
How are the Cupwise cassette decks? I thought about getting those for a less "clean" tape sound than the Studer libraries. Have you tried the cassette decks across a master bus?
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
How are the Cupwise cassette decks? I thought about getting those for a less "clean" tape sound than the Studer libraries. Have you tried the cassette decks across a master bus?
I haven't even tried them, yet. I've been too busy looking around for guitar lesson tutorials and stuff.
Old 26th November 2017
Quote:
I haven't even tried them, yet. I've been too busy looking around for guitar lesson tutorials and stuff.
check out Yousician.com

I sawk at guitar and made great progress with their lesson and gaming level approach.

10$/ month well spent
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
check out Yousician.com

I sawk at guitar and made great progress with their lesson and gaming level approach.

10$/ month well spent
Thanks!
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm thinking about trying out an AlexB console (for the first time) with the BF/CM discount. I've heard great things about MFC, 9KC and SP79, but I can't demo them and can only afford one. I'm guessing there's an openness vs punchiness vs saturation...ness quotient here, but any and all advice, insights, tips, etc., will be appreciated.

. . . perhaps I should add that I'm mixing raw+punchy indie-synth-pop with almost industrial-esque drums.

Last edited by wjmwpg; 26th November 2017 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Those are 3 great consoles.

The MFC and the 9000 are the culmination of a product line [respectively] from the NEVE and SSL persuasion.

Back in the daze ... I would like to Track/Record on the NEVE, then over to the SSL for Mixing. This same technique applies with Neb-World.

The SP79 [along with the partnered EQ] is of a vintage NEUMANN mastering console.

The MFC is like working in the open galactic universe. Spacious.

The 9KC is all about punch, clarity, definition.

Tough to describe the SP79 [at the moment] ... without over characterizing, it sounds like a Record.

Bottom-line. These attempts at descriptive adjectives could be totally meaningless ... and misguiding. [not intentional]. Generally ... there is not a single,
professional console that has ever turned a well recorded track into garbage. They can impart an overall 'attitude', and perspective of soundstage presentation,
and do bring a coherency.

Since many do not have access to these consoles for listening/evaluating ... it might be useful to research some of your Fab professional recordings for possible
equipment used. It could influence how you decide. OR .... pick one to start ! Then some day you'll want to check out another ........ and another ...
In no time, you'll have a collection of the most sought after consoles, stored in your room, for immediate recall ... at 1/1000th the cost [no maintenance ]

I jest ... but not really. Sometimes an acoustic guitar sound gorgeous thru the NEVE, but the drums just deliver thru an API, and the bass loves the SSL. Or some
other combination.

These are unprecedented times to create.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Those are 3 great consoles.

The MFC and the 9000 are the culmination of a product line [respectively] from the NEVE and SSL persuasion.

Back in the daze ... I would like to Track/Record on the NEVE, then over to the SSL for Mixing. This same technique applies with Neb-World.

The SP79 [along with the partnered EQ] is of a vintage NEUMANN mastering console.

The MFC is like working in the open galactic universe. Spacious.

The 9KC is all about punch, clarity, definition.

Tough to describe the SP79 [at the moment] ... without over characterizing, it sounds like a Record.

Bottom-line. These attempts at descriptive adjectives could be totally meaningless ... and misguiding. [not intentional]. Generally ... there is not a single,
professional console that has ever turned a well recorded track into garbage. They can impart an overall 'attitude', and perspective of soundstage presentation,

Since many do not have access to these consoles for listening/evaluating ... it might be useful to research some of your Fab professional recordings for possible
equipment used. It could influence how you decide. OR .... pick one to start ! Then some day you'll want to check out another ........ and another ...
In no time, you'll have a collection of the most sought after consoles, stored in your room, for immediate recall ... at 1/1000th the cost [no maintenance ]

I jest ... but not really. Sometimes an acoustic guitar sound gorgeous thru the NEVE, but the drums just deliver thru an API, and the bass loves the SSL. Or some
other combination.

These are unprecedented times to create.
Oy vey, that's exactly what I was afraid of . . . now i want all three!
As nice as the SP79 sounds I think it's going to be between the SSL and Neve this time. Oh decisions. Thank you for confirming my suspicions with those wonderfully elucidating descriptions.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I'm thinking about trying out an AlexB console (for the first time) with the BF/CM discount. I've heard great things about MFC, 9KC, and SP79, but I can't demo them and can only afford one. I'm guessing there's an openness vs punchiness vs saturation...ness quotient here, but any and all advice, insights, tips, etc., will be appreciated.
I was also interested in 9KC. Since I can't test them, I just can't tell if I'd want the 4KC, the 9KC, or neither. I've already got MFC, A16, and SP79 from AlexB.

I've also got CdSoundmaster's N-TEN-AT4 and Q8 consoles.

My preferred console is SP79. It just adds a certain sweetness to the audio whilst maintaining a pretty open sound. It doesn't sound harsh or nearly as gritty as some others. It's not heavy-handed (adding too much high, mid, or low, info) or congested. It just sounds "right" to me. Nice soundstage. And, it doesn't make the track sound smaller. I usually use the "Clean" preset on busses.

Speaking of the clean busses...

MFC makes things sound big. Maybe taller is the right word...? It expands your regular Cheeto to a Puffy Cheeto. Big, airy, pillowy lows, softer, slightly smudged transients. Widens the stereo image a little too, I think.

A16 sounds a bit more focused than MFC. It doesn't do the puffy thing and sounds smaller and less wide than MFC. Slightly darkens and kinda tightens up the sound while giving it a little punch.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was also interested in 9KC. Since I can't test them, I just can't tell if I'd want the 4KC, the 9KC, or neither. I've already got MFC, A16, and SP79 from AlexB.

My preferred console is SP79. It just adds a certain sweetness to the audio whilst maintaining a pretty open sound. It doesn't sound harsh or nearly as gritty as some others. It's not heavy-handed (adding too much high, mid, or low, info) or congested. It just sounds "right" to me. Nice soundstage. And, it doesn't make the track sound smaller. I usually use the "Clean" preset on busses.

MFC makes things sound big. Maybe taller is the right word...? It expands your regular Cheeto to a Puffy Cheeto. Big, airy, pillowy lows, softer, slightly smudged transients. Widens the stereo image a little too, I think.

A16 sounds a bit more focused than MFC. It doesn't do the puffy thing and sounds smaller and less wide than MFC. Slightly darkens and kinda tightens up the sound while giving it a little punch.
Thanks. I appreciate all that insight.

I agree regarding the 4K vs 9K issue as well. Oh man! If only they were BOGO! :P
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

equipment used.
I think that you are probably right. Thanks for your advice.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

It makes me wonder if the library creator could somehow split/combine the samples/vectors to create a library that's Neve from 20 to 1K and SSL from 1K to 20K . . . even just from an experimentation perspective that could be really cool. You could custom order your console. "Hey Alex, could you whip me up MFC in the lows with 9KC mids and SP79 in the highs? Thanks!" it would be cool to see Nebula go beyond simply capturing the characteristics of a single piece of hardware.

P.S. I took the plunge on 9KC . . .

Last edited by wjmwpg; 26th November 2017 at 07:37 AM..
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I'm thinking about trying out an AlexB console (for the first time) with the BF/CM discount.
I'm not seeing anything on Alex B's website about a sale. Facebook has a BF/CM post from Nov 17th that says "more info on website", but I don't see any further info.
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I'm not seeing anything on Alex B's website about a sale. Facebook has a BF/CM post from Nov 17th that says "more info on website", but I don't see any further info.
• View topic - Black Friday & Cyber Monday Promotion 2017
Old 26th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

(EDIT: edited this post in which I confused console names)

Hi,
thanks for sharing! The Alex B demo (audio) of the console is not really helpful imho.

0) Overall question: Having many Acquas which are full channels in a way:
Is it still a big plus to have an Alex B console layout in the channels and buses ... or is this just too much on top of the Acquas ( Lime/Gold/Amethyst/ Pink/Prime Audio Sparkle, Honey, ...)

1) I'm interested in either N14 or the MFC: is the N14 the sluggisher, grainier, fat and smokier one of the two?

I was also checking the N54 and CLG (chandly) compressors:
The cool attitude, open texture is great and even prefered to that of my Acquas but I also noticed some flatness in sound (compared to Acquas).

2) Question: Is this something that has to be like this as it will be compensated when used in connection with the A16 or MFC console.

3) With Tim Petherick's Vari Level comp I got a preamp preset and a comp preset: I don't see that with the N54: How does Alex B handle that?

4) I'm so used to Acquas that I wonder if it only makes sense to get an Alex B comp if you also choose to go with the Alex B console (and maybe also the eqs)

Many thanks for your help in advance!
regards

Last edited by gearsuser; 26th November 2017 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: confused productnames
Old 26th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,
thanks for sharing! The Alex B demo (audio) of the console is not really helpful imho.

0) Overall question: Having many Acquas which are full channels in a way:
Is it still a big plus to have an Alex B console layout in the channels and buses ... or is this just too much on top of the Acquas ( Lime/Gold/Amethyst/ Pink/Prime Audio Sparkle, Honey, ...)

1) I'm interested in either N14 or the MFC: is the N14 the sluggisher, grainier, fat and smokier one of the two?

I was also checking the N54 and CLG (chandly) compressors:
The cool attitude, open texture is great and even prefered to that of my Acquas but I also noticed some flatness in sound (compared to Acquas).

2) Question: Is this something that has to be like this as it will be compensated when used in connection with the A16 or MFC console.

3) With Tim Petherick's Vari Level comp I got a preamp preset and a comp preset: I don't see that with the N54: How does Alex B handle that?

4) I'm so used to Acquas that I wonder if it only makes sense to get an Alex B comp if you also choose to go with the Alex B console (and maybe also the eqs)

Many thanks for your help in advance!
regards
0) I don't have those Acquas you mentioned, so I'll just give general advice:

It can be a plus to have different tonal options that the ones you have in Acqua form. They will likely sound different because the sampling processes and equipment used by the Acustica and third-party devs are different, even if the gear they sample is similar.

1) I don't have N14. So, I can't answer this from experience. But, based on the audio clips, MFC sounds like it's puffier, has more depth or a wider soundstage, and is less gritty than N14. I do wonder whether or not MFC sounds too big. Personally, I've been using Tim P's Blue 1102 Pre on most tracks coupled with SP79 Clean on the buses to get a sweet tone with a little classic Neve vibe. But, I do experiment with A16 and MFC to see if I like them
on certain buses.

2) I own N54 (nice weight in the low end) and have the CLG. My advice here is to back way off the threshold and just use your ears to probably just barely hit those compressors (if you want a more open sound). Personally, I've found the Nebula gain reduction indicators fairly useless and inaccurate. If you totally crush your track to the point that it's 2d and pancaked (no dynamics), no console is gonna undo that overcompression. Also, if you're gonna go heavy on the compression, you could try to reintroduce into the mix (in parallel) some dry signal of whatever you're pulverizing.

3) AlexB does things differently than Tim P. Instead of making separate preamp programs for his libraries, typically, he'll offer programs with more/fewer kernels and separate regular/driven versions.

4) What makes the most sense, in my opinion, is that you use any processor that you choose to use to mix and match to get a tone that you like. If it sounds good, cool! Besides, due to the cumbersome nature of the N4 workflow, it would probably be more efficient or convenient to only select N4 programs for specific tasks (like giving you the tone of a 2254) and rely on your Acquas to handle the brunt of the processing duties.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search