The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Here is an example of the STN Langevin library as requested over in the Acustica Audio thread. The song was recorded in a pretty small, very dead room. Vocals aren't done yet. There are three wav files:

-"no L4C" has no no Langevin pres or bus presets on it, and the tracks aren't run through any additional N4 libraries (no tapes, no other consoles, no other pres, etc., except for a few HO mic presets).

-"with L4C" has Langevin mic pres at (the -18 preset) on each track, and then the -18 bus preset on the 2 bus. I also put the MFC drum bus preset on the drum bus because ... well, that's what I'd do when adding in N4 presets.

-the last file, "test master sample," is the song through the actual chain that I will use for the final mixdown, and then through my mastering chain. At the mix stage, each track has this chain on it: -TimP Blue pre > TimP J37 > MFC Line In. And then the mastering chain has some other N4 EQs and stuff on it: MMeQ, Surge, TimP T-Tape, as well as Prime Studio Charley (I really love this summing amp), as well as a touch of AirWindows Powersag. I included a sample of the mastered file because it sounds so much different, and much better than the mixdown files to me. Just going back to the mix without the Blue pre-J37-MFC Line chains, I'm surprised at how harsh and thin it sounds in comparison to the test master file.

If you have any more questions about the recordings, let me know.

Edit: It seems the attachment tool isn't uploading the wav files .... I'll get it sorted out.

Edit: OK, I'm not having success attaching the files through a browser, so you can download them here. Put
https://mega.nz/ into your browser, add #F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ and then hit enter. That'll take you to the download!
Sounds cool ! You're right, quite a difference between the master and pre-mastered versions, i mean obviously it's louder, but i adjusted the volume to match and it's quite a difference tonally.......The difference between the langevin treated/untreated was pretty subtle. I'm quite interested in picking up this library set, as I often go for a more sepia 60's-ish vibe with a lot of the productions i do for other people. Have you heard the Bogen Console by CDSM? I find that evokes a warmth and sepia/60's vibe too......... Sounds really cool though, thanks for posting........
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Sounds cool ! You're right, quite a difference between the master and pre-mastered versions, i mean obviously it's louder, but i adjusted the volume to match and it's quite a difference tonally.......The difference between the langevin treated/untreated was pretty subtle. I'm quite interested in picking up this library set, as I often go for a more sepia 60's-ish vibe with a lot of the productions i do for other people. Have you heard the Bogen Console by CDSM? I find that evokes a warmth and sepia/60's vibe too......... Sounds really cool though, thanks for posting........
Phew ... OK, some positive feedback. Thanks! I get nervous about posting things on gearslutz for all the experienced ears to hear. It's like going up in front of the thesis committee as a bumbling grad student. Haha.

Yes, the difference is very subtle. That particular recording only had about 15 or so tracks in the project, so I suppose the cumulative effect isn't that noticeable. But then the mic pre>tape>line in setup plus the mastering chain makes a huge difference. (The mastering chain was T-Tape, MMeQ low bell 2 db boost @ 80 Hz, Surge high shelf @ 12 k and about 2 db boost, Charley with gain boost, Powersag so that there's subtle breakup at peak transients, and then an algo limiter.) I usually like to keep my mastering chains as simple as possible and often don't even use any compression, which just doesn't work for me that often ... though sometimes I'll use C660 or Violet. Occasionally I'll use some mid/side processing, whether it's saturation or EQ, but here I didn't. So in my experience, the effects of a bunch of libraries add up and combine to create the sonic goodness.

I like the 60s sepia vibe as well; I think it's well suited to the style of music I do. I haven't checked out the Bogen Console library. I do have the Tride-N-Tru library and I've used it with pleasing results, but obviously they're different animals and the Bogen is probably more of the sound you've described (the Tride-N-Tru is actually super subtle and clean IMO). I'll check out the Bogen! And thanks for the feedback!
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

I just realized I had the fader cranked on one of the drum overheads in the pre-mastered files because I was recently working with an N4 developer on a weird issue I was having with a compressor library. So I must have been trouble shooting on the overhead track, boosted the volume a ton, saved and left it, and then forgot about that boost after a weekend of playing gigs. Woops. At least that's not the master project file anyway and one I copied to a hard drive to mess around with ....

But anyway, that explains why the cymbals sound so loud in the mix in those pre-master files, and that mastered file was from before the mentiond issue with the N4 library. I knew something was off. Oh well. That at least won't affect the mic pre comparison ....

Anyway ....
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I think I might need an EMT 250 library There are options, Cupwise and VNXT has made them, could be others too..What's the sound difference between them? For support (and options) I'll probably get both but it'd be interesting to hear what you guys prefer and in what situations.
I have both, I suggest Cupwise first, it has more control than VNXT, both sound very good.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I have both, I suggest Cupwise first, it has more control than VNXT, both sound very good.
Thanks for your input! Bought PoL 2. Lack of sleep makes me delusional, I think I meant 240 as now that I think of it, there might not be a 250 library, at least yet?
Old 13th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here is an example of the STN Langevin library as requested over in the Acustica Audio thread. The song was recorded in a pretty small, very dead room. Vocals aren't done yet. There are three wav files:[snip]
Nice recording and mix. The difference between the use of Langevin and not is very subtle the point of insignificance at least in terms of these two samples.

The mastered version is way too loud. -9 LUFS. how about helping to end the loudness war and targetting -16? or -14 max. there is no benefit to -9 and the PLR is comprimised because of it. why? this is a track that can benefit from as much PLR as possible.

At least you used a true-peak limiter with ISP supression. However on a 128k stream, because its so loud, it throws ISPs like made and cakes the mix with intermodulation distortion. Another reason to drop the loudness.
Old 13th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexus View Post
Nice recording and mix. The difference between the use of Langevin and not is very subtle the point of insignificance at least in terms of these two samples.
Thanks. Yes, it's there, and the cumulative effect seems to come about when it's added to a lot of tracks and combined with other libraries .... Tape, line in, etc. It's interesting to hear how different pres interact with other libraries.

Quote:
The mastered version is way too loud. -9 LUFS. how about helping to end the loudness war and targetting -16? or -14 max. there is no benefit to -9 and the PLR is comprimised because of it. why? this is a track that can benefit from as much PLR as possible.

At least you used a true-peak limiter with ISP supression. However on a 128k stream, because its so loud, it throws ISPs like made and cakes the mix with intermodulation distortion. Another reason to drop the loudness.
I knew this would be brought up. Yes, I was totally aware of this and it was indeed my intention (*ducks from tomatoes being thrown*). Luckily this was a test master, so it's definitely not final. My (loudness) goal there was to basically compare the track to others within its general genre and see what it takes to match volume and dynamics. I do understand that this is basically a mastering sin. Yes, I did set the LUFS marker to -9 because many major commercial releases in 2017 are still being put out at that level or worse. I'll be one of the first to say that it sucks and it's unnecessary, and yes, I do agree with you in that the PLR is compromised. Distortion becomes an issue. So one of the goals was to investigate the sonic compromises being made.

Yeah, unfortunately, it's a crappy situation with commercial releases. The good news (I guess) is that streaming platforms have lowered their target playback to around -14 LUFS or less. So I think that is a good target in general.
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone know of a Tilt EQ in Nebula land?
Old 14th November 2017
Quote:
Here is an example of the STN Langevin library as requested over in the Acustica Audio thread. The song was recorded in a pretty small, very dead room. Vocals aren't done yet. There are three wav files:

-"no L4C" has no no Langevin pres or bus presets on it, and the tracks aren't run through any additional N4 libraries (no tapes, no other consoles, no other pres, etc., except for a few HO mic presets).

-"with L4C" has Langevin mic pres at (the -18 preset) on each track, and then the -18 bus preset on the 2 bus. I also put the MFC drum bus preset on the drum bus because ... well, that's what I'd do when adding in N4 presets.

-the last file, "test master sample," is the song through the actual chain that I will use for the final mixdown, and then through my mastering chain. At the mix stage, each track has this chain on it: -TimP Blue pre > TimP J37 > MFC Line In. And then the mastering chain has some other N4 EQs and stuff on it: MMeQ, Surge, TimP T-Tape, as well as Prime Studio Charley (I really love this summing amp), as well as a touch of AirWindows Powersag. I included a sample of the mastered file because it sounds so much different, and much better than the mixdown files to me. Just going back to the mix without the Blue pre-J37-MFC Line chains, I'm surprised at how harsh and thin it sounds in comparison to the test master file.

If you have any more questions about the recordings, let me know.

Edit: It seems the attachment tool isn't uploading the wav files .... I'll get it sorted out.

Edit: OK, I'm not having success attaching the files through a browser, so you can download them here. Put
https://mega.nz/ into your browser, add #F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ and then hit enter. That'll take you to the download!

Very very good song and very good result in the mix.
Enough for me to buy this whole L-401 package.

Good job
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Very very good song and very good result in the mix.
Enough for me to buy this whole L-401 package.

Good job
Thanks very much! We'll be slowly releasing recordings for that album and a bunch of live video sessions (L401 really made a great difference in one of them), so perhaps I'll post in the new "Tracks mixed and produced with Acustica Nebula and Aqua" thread if people are interested.
Old 14th November 2017
Quote:
Thanks very much! We'll be slowly releasing recordings for that album and a bunch of live video sessions (L401 really made a great difference in one of them), so perhaps I'll post in the new "Tracks mixed and produced with Acustica Nebula and Aqua" thread if people are interested.

Oh definitely !!

I would suggest you take a look and/or contact @Silvertone for your master if you have a bit of money to make it really shine at the end.

I've heard his rendering on his Langevin 201A andI think i'll be contacting him when I'm done with my EP.

I'm also in the same kind of vibe as the track you shared for my personal project and I was very impressed by his take on mixes....even tho his snare were standing way too loud in his mix. He seems professional enough to go according to the client taste and his end result really really gave me the WHOA factor.

check him out here:
The sound of 201A tube pre's
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
Oh definitely !!

I would suggest you take a look and/or contact @Silvertone for your master if you have a bit of money to make it really shine at the end.

I've heard his rendering on his Langevin 201A andI think i'll be contacting him when I'm done with my EP.

I'm also in the same kind of vibe as the track you shared for my personal project and I was very impressed by his take on mixes....even tho his snare were standing way too loud in his mix. He seems professional enough to go according to the client taste and his end result really really gave me the WHOA factor.

check him out here:
The sound of 201A tube pre's
Oh yeah, those pres sound sweet. I don't know if it gets much better. The snare is a bit loud but it also sounds excellent. I like that he's using an old Gretsch kit as well. He's right about those pres bringing out the wood of the kit .... Dang, that's nice.

If I have some cash for it, it'll be a top consideration. I also like the looks of Zino Mikorey's mastering rig and room https://www.zinomikorey.com/ , though tracks sent through his chain might come out different than if summed through those 201As. That Maselec will have its sound ... one I'm not totally familiar with. He recently did a collaboration with AA on Azure (pretty sure it's his Soma ) which is what led me to his page. His gear list is mastering heaven ....
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

Hey guys!
Does anybody know how I can add a preset program that I like to the "Favourites" on the left side of N4 Finder?
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-screen-shot-2017-11-14-17.21.23.png  
Old 14th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'd like to mention the excellent support TimP provided for me when I was having an issue with one of his libraries. It turns out the issue was happening with my system and how the buffer was handling kernel lengths .... Nonetheless, Tim worked with me to find the issue for over a week. He was quick to respond and test things out. So, kudos to Tim. Excellent-sounding libraries and excellent support.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Head

I realise this has been discussed before, but I wonder how long it will be until setups is integrated into N4? I’ve just started using it and the sound of all these libraries are so fkin killer.... but it’s clear how powerful/useful and time saving setups is... I’m trying to stop myself editing XML. Got the presets going... that’s helping a bit.

But from what I understand you can load numerous programs (ideally like the whole compressor program/chain with pre etc) and save it as an AU!?

This would be the icing on the cake for me... then I can sell my UAD octo
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
I realise this has been discussed before, but I wonder how long it will be until setups is integrated into N4? I’ve just started using it and the sound of all these libraries are so fkin killer.... but it’s clear how powerful/useful and time saving setups is... I’m trying to stop myself editing XML. Got the presets going... that’s helping a bit.

But from what I understand you can load numerous programs (ideally like the whole compressor program/chain with pre etc) and save it as an AU!?

This would be the icing on the cake for me... then I can sell my UAD octo
We've been told it will come but AA is currently focused on Aquarius and since setups is not in beta, my guess is not anytime soon, maybe middle of next year as a pure blind guess. I've been using S1 and Reapers ability to save presets and chains so I'm not really missing setups much any more.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

One issue of NOT having SETUPS.

Certain DAWS require a unique MAGIC NUMBER to identify one plugin from another [REAPER comes to mind].

With Nebula-3 and SETUps, we had to edit the special XML file to make a 'unique' NEBULA.

From internal communications, I was given the impression that N-4 required more than changing the MAGIC NUMBER in its' XML file to work properly.

Anyway ... N-4 SetUPs will be most welcomed feature for my large library. But I'll add, that the NEW selection MENUs in N-4 are much better than N-3's design.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

So what's the best tape delay program right now? Does Lemon do a legit tape delay?
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Hey guys!
Does anybody know how I can add a preset program that I like to the "Favourites" on the left side of N4 Finder?
Finder favourites only can accommodate folders while you need to enable the “Presets” Windows.

To enable it, go to the N4.xml and look for <PRESETS> and set it to 1 like below:

<PRESETS> 1 </PRESETS>

The Presets Windows will allow you to add your favourite presets and you can rename them as well. Also you can move your presets to a folder like Consoles, Comps, EQ etc and add them to the Preset’s Favourite
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-presets.jpg  
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Finder favourites only can accommodate folders while you need to enable the “Presets” Windows.

To enable it, go to the N4.xml and look for <PRESETS> and set it to 1 like below:

<PRESETS> 1 </PRESETS>

The Presets Windows will allow you to add your favourite presets and you can rename them as well. Also you can move your presets to a folder like Consoles, Comps, EQ etc and add them to the Preset’s Favourite
Thanks David!
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Head

That’s a shame Will. I’m using logic and have several assistants also on Logic so changing platform is not as simple as me migrating to S1....

Looks like I’ll get heavy with the presets and Patchwork...
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey guys!
Only categories (folders) can be added to the favourites (both in Finder and Presets browser).
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabukowski View Post
Only categories (folders) can be added to the favourites (both in Finder and Presets browser).
Thanks man.
By the way, as I am new to Nebula, I want to ask if your software products are compatible with N4.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks man.
By the way, as I am new to Nebula, I want to ask if your software products are compatible with N4.
NebulaMan 1.5.x can use all installed Nebula presets in native form, but more convenient approach is to use N4 as VST plugin in NebulaMan 2 (release candidate).

Nebula Setups is N3 compatible. N4 setups are under development.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabukowski View Post
Hey Zab, where is that nice Preset menu, that we could sabe different preset already with the settings that we use.

I remember that in previous versions of Nebula.

Edit: Just saw David Gary post. Any reason why that is not enabled by default? Will that make stability worse?
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Hey Zab, where is that nice Preset menu, that we could sabe different preset already with the settings that we use.

I remember that in previous versions of Nebula.

Edit: Just saw David Gary post. Any reason why that is not enabled by default? Will that make stability worse?
Add <PRESETS> 1 ></PRESETS> to XML file. Not sure why is not enabled by default.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
That’s a shame Will. I’m using logic and have several assistants also on Logic so changing platform is not as simple as me migrating to S1....

Looks like I’ll get heavy with the presets and Patchwork...
I was not implying to switch DAW's.... but you may want to send those features to Apple as future requests, it's 2017 and every DAW should be able to save plugins as presets.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 15th November 2017 at 07:43 PM..
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if a D.A.V. preamp has ever been nebulatized?
D.A.V. BG1

Presets?!? Ha! I must have glazed over while reading that part of the manual . . . Thanks for bringing it up here!
Old 15th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Does anyone know if a D.A.V. preamp has ever been nebulatized?
D.A.V. BG1

Presets?!? Ha! I must have glazed over while reading that part of the manual . . . Thanks for bringing it up here!
H.O. All You Can Eat my friend. The presets are in preamps under BeGe1

Nebulapresets - ~::A place to experience audio heaven::~

I'm using it right now
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompower9 View Post
H.O. All You Can Eat my friend. The presets are in preamps under BeGe1

Nebulapresets - ~::A place to experience audio heaven::~

I'm using it right now
Okay, I'm 0 for 2! I bought AYCE last month and thought I'd got a decent handle on all that's in there - appears not!!! Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search