The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 11th August 2012
  #211
Lives for gear
 

I use both UAD and Nebula in most projects but I use them very differently. Nebula is for coloring and I use it at the very beginning and very end of the mix. Before I start EQ'ing or using other plugins on a track I decide if I want to add any Nebula tape color or other harmonic distortion. If so, I print the effect to the track. This means I don't have to deal with all the latency & CPU hit of Nebula. I then use my UAD & native plugins for the majority of tone shaping. Latency & CPU hit of UAD/native is minimal compared to Nebula so I can work quickly. Once I have the basic mix happening I add Nebula plugins to my busses (though I disable Nebula while riding faders as the latency can really screw me up).

Nebula sounds great but it's not where I would want to start my plugin collection. The learning curve is steep and the documentation is nonexistent but I've said it before; if you have more time than money and efficiency/workflow is not a primary concern then Nebula might be for you.
Old 11th August 2012
  #212
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

Agreed with the post above. Nebula is for end mixing only.
Another issue which makes nebula time demanding is correct gain staging. Some libraries have other gain stage. So you have to read each library's manual carefully.

However, once you get it, and know what you're doing, and found out your goto presets, it's fun. I found myself to spend less time tweaking around and get my desired sound faster then other plugins.

And once this project done, it could improve the workflow greatly.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-cleq.jpg  
Old 11th August 2012
  #213
Gear Addict
what do you guys mean by end mixing only
Old 11th August 2012
  #214
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

The latency and cpu hog are too huge to use it during tracking and writing. UAD also has a latency, but not that much so that you still can use it on realtime.

With nebula, you usually have to finish your song first, make your stems, render them through the Preamp-Console-Tape Chain offline, then end your mixing process, and eventually do the mastering.

With other native plugins you can do all that in one step ( with today's recent i7 cpu ) without any rendering in beetwen.

Why do some guys still take that disadvantage? It's in the sound. Now when that doesn't make you curious about the sound quality, i don't know what else to say.
heh
Old 11th August 2012
  #215
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
The latency and cpu hog are too huge to use it during tracking and writing. UAD also has a latency, but not that much so that you still can use it on realtime.

With nebula, you usually have to finish your song first, make your stems, render them through the Preamp-Console-Tape Chain offline, then end your mixing process, and eventually do the mastering.

With other native plugins you can do all that in one step ( with today's recent i7 cpu ) without any rendering in beetwen.

Now why do guys still take that disadvantage? It's in the sound. Now when that doesn't make you curious about the sound quality, i don't know what else to say.
heh

now that's actually what i don't get, why would some1 use plugins during tracking/writing even vocals?? shouldn't it be this way: writing/tracking - bouncing(rendering) - mixing - bouncing again - then mastering at the end?

iv seen couple of people complaining about the latency of the plugins WHILE they were tracking and i was like "WOT" lol shouldn't we track/record a clean signal first then start playing with it later on the mixing stage? true?
Old 11th August 2012
  #216
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

I don't know, maybe people just got spoilt with the increasing CPU power, and get used to be able to do 'everything' in one step and enjoying the better sound while tracking/writing.
It's also today's trend of home studio musicians who also want to do everything including mixing and mastering by themselves, and get drowned in all those processes and forgetting the music itself. Speaking about myself. lol
Old 11th August 2012
  #217
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
I don't know, maybe people just got spoilt with the increasing CPU power, and get used to be able to do 'everything' in one step and enjoying the better sound while tracking/writing.
It's also today's trend of home studio musicians who also want to do everything including mixing and mastering by themselves, and get drowned in all those processes and forgetting the music itself. Speaking about myself. lol
i read someone's signature here saying: we may be are over estimating mixing, but im damn sure we are underestimate recording.

and you know what, never seen a better quote than this!
Old 11th August 2012
  #218
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
About the EQ, somebody on their forum is working on a way to load the 7 instances of CLeQ from Alexb (SSL 4000 Eq) in one GUI so you can have it like all other EQ plugins, which is an exciting new development. He will make some other versions with another combination as well, like preamp+tape+console.
Take a look here
• View topic - VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted
Wow, that's really amazing! Thanks for sharing the link.
Old 11th August 2012
  #219
Gear Addict
why cant i access this link guys ^
Old 11th August 2012
  #220
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

Hmm.. That nebula forum has been haunted by spammers recently so the admins made some radical ip blockings. Maybe you have to register first, and wait for their confirmation?
Biggest news is that picture i posted though, it's still in alpha testing version. It looks very promising though. If he can work with the library makers this could be huge step up.
Old 11th August 2012
  #221
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
iv seen couple of people complaining about the latency of the plugins WHILE they were tracking and i was like "WOT" lol shouldn't we track/record a clean signal first then start playing with it later on the mixing stage? true?
Some people find themselves more productive and creative using different workflows. Some tools promote certain workflows. Nebula is certainly an "add this last" kind of tool (unless you're willing to stop and render files). <shrug> It's something to consider. I like having a variety of tools that I can use in a variety of situations and ways.

And let me tell you, latency is *not* only an issue while tracking. You try doing a tight fader ride on an uptempo song when the latency is high enough that you have to lead the music in order to hit your mark. If you're the kind of person who enjoys drawing automation curves with your mouse then it's not a problem I suppose, but if you (like me) prefer to listen to the music and react in time to what you're hearing then latency can bite you in the ass.
Old 11th August 2012
  #222
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
why cant i access this link guys ^
I think you have to be logged into the Neb forum to see it. Are you a member?
Old 12th August 2012
  #223
Lives for gear
 

So I've been super interested since the whole Nebula hype (personally I think Slate copied some of the code and made it workable - OPINION ONLY, of which I;m entitled - facts - no. Anyway The free Nebula 3 wont even load in Live 8 snow lep. I have an i7 and when I got it i thought "now I can use nebula) but I cant load an instance... Do I have to spring for the Pro version even though I cant get the Demo running? Strange thing, I DL aquavox and it runs fine...
Old 12th August 2012
  #224
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
So I've been super interested since the whole Nebula hype (personally I think Slate copied some of the code and made it workable - OPINION ONLY, of which I;m entitled - facts - no. Anyway The free Nebula 3 wont even load in Live 8 snow lep. I have an i7 and when I got it i thought "now I can use nebula) but I cant load an instance... Do I have to spring for the Pro version even though I cant get the Demo running? Strange thing, I DL aquavox and it runs fine...
i'd interested about how your machine couldnt handle nebula, whats your pc specs?
Old 12th August 2012
  #225
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
So I've been super interested since the whole Nebula hype (personally I think Slate copied some of the code and made it workable - OPINION ONLY, of which I;m entitled - facts - no. Anyway The free Nebula 3 wont even load in Live 8 snow lep. I have an i7 and when I got it i thought "now I can use nebula) but I cant load an instance... Do I have to spring for the Pro version even though I cant get the Demo running? Strange thing, I DL aquavox and it runs fine...
I never had any trouble with the free version. AFAIK, it has the same core engine as the pro version. So, if you can get it working, that should be a good indicator of how well pro will run on your system...

IMO, the only down side to the free version is the limited presets included with it. I think some third party demo presets will work with the free version, so definitely get some of them to get a better taste of how good Nebula can sound. The included presets are kinda' lacking...
Old 14th August 2012
  #226
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

The AlphaVersion of CleQ's wrapper is getting epic, here's the last update:


&bull; View topic - VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted
Old 4th October 2012
  #227
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Since this thread is a little outdated, could you guys please give your favorites in 2012? It would be useful to a lot of us new Nebula users I'm sure :D
Old 4th October 2012
  #228
Gear Addict
 
ooohhh2's Avatar
 

Hello Jpchartrand, i already saw your posts in other thread. Congrats for being a new nebula user. It's an exciting new world, i bet you won't regret it.
I learned alot from this thread, so i would just read through it, because there are really good tips already. And even the oldest library is still relevant today.

But since you asked, here are my must haves:
1. VNXT Plate and Spring Reverbs. This is pure magic. My favorite reverbs ever. Check the demos, you'll be surprised.
2. Preamp Color Suite from AlexB. You have all the colours of the best preamps ever made. For 20€ it's ridicoulos.
3. NAG Tape from Signaltonoize. When you want one tape only, this is it. It just works.
4. Tapebooster+ from CDSoundmaster. You'll need it in conjunction with any tape library.
5. Henry Olonga's stuffs. Recently they become my number ones. Especially the 'quick mix' series from GML 8020 and API Channel Strip. Vocality, Quick kick, Guitar series, Drum bus series. Get them all! I was quite sceptical about it first, then i put them on my mixes and they helped me to get instant happiness.
Oh, don't forget to check his prices. You'll be shocked.
7. Any Console from AlexB or CDSoundmaster. I just have the Globe due to my limited budget. This one has a huge soundstage. My next one would be the CLC from AlexB.
But the console elements from Henry Olonga are also very, very good. Same quality with the very best.
6. For EQs: CleQ from AlexB: use it with the wrapper i showed above.
Doc Fear, Fate, Massive Passive from Analog in the Box.
6. Ownhammer's Cab simulations. The best cab sim available. Forget IRs. He will also release better versions of the library soon.
7. The most recent Rayphlex compressor from Cupwise or the Kultcomp from Gemini Audio. I've got the Rayflex. New breed of nebula compressors. Who said nebula can't do compressor? Also very very good on mix bus: Snap Compressor from Analog in the Box.
8. Don't forget to check the free stuffs as well, they are very underated.
Look in nebula's forum for YR, and check free libraries from Signaltonoize, and lots of Cab sims from Kalthallen.

Those are all stuffs i can't live without.
But there are tons of other stuffs, take one slowly after another, they are cheap, but it takes time, read the manuals of the libraries as well.
Old 4th October 2012
  #229
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Hello Jpchartrand, i already saw your posts in other thread. Congrats for being a new nebula user. It's an exciting new world, i bet you won't regret it.
I learned alot from this thread, so i would just read through it, because there are really good tips already. And even the oldest library is still relevant today.

But since you asked, here are my must haves:
1. VNXT Plate and Spring Reverbs. This is pure magic. My favorite reverbs ever. Check the demos, you'll be surprised.
2. Preamp Color Suite from AlexB. You have all the colours of the best preamps ever made. For 20€ it's ridicoulos.
3. NAG Tape from Signaltonoize. When you want one tape only, this is it. It just works.
4. Tapebooster+ from CDSoundmaster. You'll need it in conjunction with any tape library.
5. Henry Olonga's stuffs. Recently they become my number ones. Especially the 'quick mix' series from GML 8020 and API Channel Strip. Vocality, Quick kick, Guitar series, Drum bus series. Get them all! I was quite sceptical about it first, then i put them on my mixes and they helped me to get instant happiness.
Oh, don't forget to check his prices. You'll be shocked.
7. Any Console from AlexB or CDSoundmaster. I just have the Globe due to my limited budget. This one has a huge soundstage. My next one would be the CLC from AlexB.
But the console elements from Henry Olonga are also very, very good. Same quality with the very best.
6. For EQs: CleQ from AlexB: use it with the wrapper i showed above.
Doc Fear, Fate, Massive Passive from Analog in the Box.
6. Ownhammer's Cab simulations. The best cab sim available. Forget IRs. He will also release better versions of the library soon.
7. The most recent Rayphlex compressor from Cupwise or the Kultcomp from Gemini Audio. I've got the Rayflex. New breed of nebula compressors. Who said nebula can't do compressor? Also very very good on mix bus: Snap Compressor from Analog in the Box.
8. Don't forget to check the free stuffs as well, they are very underated.
Look in nebula's forum for YR, and check free libraries from Signaltonoize, and lots of Cab sims from Kalthallen.

Those are all stuffs i can't live without.
But there are tons of other stuffs, take one slowly after another, they are cheap, but it takes time, read the manuals of the libraries as well.
Thanks a lot for your quick reply! I will get all of them! Do you ever use any "MIC" presets? I found it sounded amazing when used on sampled strings...just sounds more like an actual live recording rather than a VST. Weird since I bet it's only an EQ curve lol
Old 4th October 2012
  #230
Lives for gear
 
CoolColJ's Avatar
 

AlexB's TSX - Tube/tape Saturator pack - used this a lot
I have audio demos here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7962745-post15.html

AlexB's VSF - mainly the Minimoog filter and line amp - for adding that extra something to softsynths
Old 4th October 2012
  #231
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
AlexB's TSX - Tube/tape Saturator pack - used this a lot
The MWT (Neve 5042) finds it's way in all of my instrument busses.

AlexB EMIRoad/Av Alan : my most used tube pre's
AlexB Manley VoxBox: usual vocal pre, cuts the lows just right
AITB Fate Comp: just for the round, soft tone.
AlexB Modern White EQ (Neve 5033): EQing and tranny sweetening. Amazing sounding. My usual channel EQ.

AlexB Fenix (TC Phoenix) on master buss, sometimes NAg tape 30ips (sometimes makes things sound too unfocused) etc. I'm really happy with this gear. Now just waiting for the Bricasti M7 library..
Old 5th October 2012
  #232
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Its awesome to see all these suggestions. Now I really wonder how I missed the boat on Nebula.

Is the bricasti being sampled??
Old 5th October 2012
  #233
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Its awesome to see all these suggestions. Now I really wonder how I missed the boat on Nebula.

Is the bricasti being sampled??
Yes, and it will be free "Donate" when it happens!
Old 5th October 2012
  #234
Lives for gear
 
Casey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Is the bricasti being sampled??
I had been talking with Henry about some technical issues he had been facing regarding the M7 samples. I have not heard from him in a while though. I assume it is still being worked on. Hope so!



-Casey
Old 5th October 2012
  #235
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
Based on your recommendations i bought a ton of libraries lol

I must say that one that really blew me away was AlexB's korg filter. My soft synth sounds SO much better woth that baby on the strip. DAMMMNNNN. Imo for edm, id buy nebula +that preset and itd be totally worth the 180$
Old 5th October 2012
  #236
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I assume it is still being worked on. Hope so!
Us too!
Old 5th October 2012
  #237
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

A little off topic, but Jpchartrand, I thought I read somewhere that you're on a Mac running Mountain Lion - is that right? If so, how is Nebula running for you? I'm still on Lion because I didn't want to screw anything up. But, if it works for you, maybe I'll finally take the leap... thanks in advance!
Old 5th October 2012
  #238
Lives for gear
 
Jpchartrand's Avatar
I am running mountain lion and i've had zero issues so far. I don't get all the big fuss around mountain lion. Everything went smooth during the conversion.
Old 5th October 2012
  #239
Lives for gear
 
junior's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
I am running mountain lion and i've had zero issues so far. I don't get all the big fuss around mountain lion. Everything went smooth during the conversion.
Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to hear... thanks!
Old 6th October 2012
  #240
Lives for gear
 
ultra171's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I had been talking with Henry about some technical issues he had been facing regarding the M7 samples. I have not heard from him in a while though. I assume it is still being worked on. Hope so!



-Casey
Just give me the Europa and Stone Canyon (?) presets for Nebula and I'm set for life
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump