The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 7th November 2017
Here for the gear

Are there any nebula libraries for Roland RSS-10 Sound Space Processor or derivatives thereof such as the Boss SX700? The original RSS-10 seems to stand alone in its ability to place sound in 3D space beyond the speakers.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Attenuates overmuch. Even with half a dB average GR and low ratios it pumped a lot on bass. I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted on the master buss, my only option in that case would probably be parallel. I use the library for drums parallel, vocals. I'm not sure if that's how the hardware reacts, never tried one in the flesh, but I'm guessing no. I don't regret my purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Many nebula libraries exhibit this problem, that's why they often have a HPF (the hardware does not). It seemed to be especially pronounced on this one, though.
So you're saying it reacts to bass unevenly? Does it follow the bass too much and over react to it? That surprises me, as I thought this comp was known for smoothness and mastering.

By HPF are you referring to internal sidechain? And is there a parallel knobs too?

Last edited by Shaolin; 7th November 2017 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: inability to type what I meant to ask
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
It's a broadband compressor so it pumps the full spectrum. It reacts to the bass - which I don't mix loud - in an exaggerated manner. We're talking: half a dB GR makes the whole mix sound squashed. You can get away with that and more using Acustica's Sand, for comparison.

With drum parallels it doesn't really matter. I want a little squash and it doesn't pump as much because there's more mid and top as opposed to bass. Vocals: what bass? So I've found a spot for it, and it does surpass any of the algorithmic 33609's I've tried in those roles, just not so much on the mix buss.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Ok thanks. I was thiinking to try it on vocals too - I have a mix coming up with an a capella bridge this month. I'll still try it on the 2 buss though....

UPDATE

Hadda buy it sooner than I planned. I tested on the 2 bus of a traditional Mariachi track which is nearly complete. (This has trumpets, small violin section, guitars and guitarron (a kind of small bass) but no vocals yet. Also there aren't any drums.) I didn't expereince the pumping effect on the bass, even when I pushed pretty aggressive (for mastering) low threshold, gain reduction like 5-6 dB and high ratios over 3.

In the end I used it in series with AlexBs Elysia both with gentler settings and it sounded great - spectrum remained even, but the track got bigger and smoother.

Mileages do indeed vary.

Last edited by Shaolin; 7th November 2017 at 11:10 PM..
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
They do. That's an enormous of GR for my tastes, it would be a drum parallel for me - 4-8 GR.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

If anyone would like to trade their Nebula N4 in exchange for my Acustica Audio Sand & Fab 4 , then great !
i explored Acustica , and now I want to explore Nebula and 3rd party plugins.

Thanks
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
Ok thanks. I was thiinking to try it on vocals too - I have a mix coming up with an a capella bridge this month. I'll still try it on the 2 buss though....

UPDATE

Hadda buy it sooner than I planned. I tested on the 2 bus of a traditional Mariachi track which is nearly complete. (This has trumpets, small violin section, guitars and guitarron (a kind of small bass) but no vocals yet. Also there aren't any drums.) I didn't expereince the pumping effect on the bass, even when I pushed pretty aggressive (for mastering) low threshold, gain reduction like 5-6 dB and high ratios over 3.

In the end I used it in series with AlexBs Elysia both with gentler settings and it sounded great - spectrum remained even, but the track got bigger and smoother.

Mileages do indeed vary.
OK ... I'm glad your experience was different than Synonym's because the 33609-style is probably my favourite on the 2 bus, and I was a bit shocked to hear that a Cupwise compressor just wasn't doing it for someone. I've used the Lindell 254E on the 2 bus and really liked it, but just haven't picked up Cupwise 609 for whatever reason. I probably got distracted by the TimP hype!
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear
Yeah I was surprised I missed the 609 too! Glad it cropped up in this thread.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Celebrating my little bit over year with A A tools here, couldn't be happier, it's been awesome and the best news is that the more I use them, the more satisfied I am with the results as are the clients

A quick shout out to Cupwise's Time Tube.. To me that has become the ultimate tool to lift a track little bit out of the surroundings, and to widen a vocal to get it off from dead centre. Before I had a bit of a struggle with this stuff, Valhalla Übermod got me close enough due to its tweakability, but most other stereo spreaders sounded too effecty to me. This thing is smooth and clear, very easy to use too.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Celebrating my little bit over year with A A tools here, couldn't be happier, it's been awesome and the best news is that the more I use them, the more satisfied I am with the results as are the clients

A quick shout out to Cupwise's Time Tube.. To me that has become the ultimate tool to lift a track little bit out of the surroundings, and to widen a vocal to get it off from dead centre. Before I had a bit of a struggle with this stuff, Valhalla Übermod got me close enough due to its tweakability, but most other stereo spreaders sounded too effecty to me. This thing is smooth and clear, very easy to use too.
Oh, Cupwise Cooper Time Cube. Interested in that.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

Just bought it - agree 100%, fantastic tool! Very easy to dial in.
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just bought it - agree 100%, fantastic tool! Very easy to dial in.
Hummmm....

Interesting!
Old 9th November 2017
Gear Head

Well I just too the plunge. Now I’m a Nebula freak already..... and Will, you were right about everything!!! HO all you can eat is a great stock library (I’m particularly in love with the clariphonic!!). I bought pretty much all of Tim P’s comps, stupidly paid with echeque so I have to wait for those ...

I have a few questions....

Nebula setups: this seemed to be a major part of power users for N3. Now I’m using Nebula I can see exactly why you need it. I’m actually dying to get under the hood and organise my library, and it would be fantastic I save setups as plugins.... do we know how far this is away for N4?

Secondly... trawling round the internet it’s clear that 5-10 years ago there were a lot of third parties regularly making libraries for Nebula. Now it just seems like Tim P and Cupwise are the only ones still going, and active online etc.... I found a Lot of old websites that don’t look like they’ve been updated since 99!!

Any ideas ??
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
Well I just too the plunge. Now I’m a Nebula freak already..... and Will, you were right about everything!!! HO all you can eat is a great stock library (I’m particularly in love with the clariphonic!!). I bought pretty much all of Tim P’s comps, stupidly paid with echeque so I have to wait for those ...

I have a few questions....

Nebula setups: this seemed to be a major part of power users for N3. Now I’m using Nebula I can see exactly why you need it. I’m actually dying to get under the hood and organise my library, and it would be fantastic I save setups as plugins.... do we know how far this is away for N4?

Secondly... trawling round the internet it’s clear that 5-10 years ago there were a lot of third parties regularly making libraries for Nebula. Now it just seems like Tim P and Cupwise are the only ones still going, and active online etc.... I found a Lot of old websites that don’t look like they’ve been updated since 99!!

Any ideas ??
Nyrv Agent and Bluecat PatchWork allow you to stack N4 instances. The latter lets you save chains of N4 and loaded libraries, the former allows you to build a single UI using multiple N4 instances.

You forgot AlexB - also excellent. Check his consoles out. In fact, go and buy MFC (or 9KC) and put the BUS.Modern filter on your mixbus. Then never take it off :¬)
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Welcome to the Nebula world..... The Tim P comps will be worth the wait, I'm on a mix now that Opto 3A, Sum 100a, and L Bus are just rockin. Yeah I miss Henry, his Nebula work was different in a special way..... his library vision was unique and I appreciate it every mix as I pull up his massive library. You can PM him here or on the AA site, I'm sure he would appreciate any kind words you want to offer him.

Quote:
Yes I miss setups in N4, today there are several work around until setups for N4 is delivered.
1. N4 has presets, so you can easily make your own of your favorite libraries.
2. I use Reaper and S1, both allow effect chains to be saved and recalled easily.
3. Bluecat Chainer

Quote:

Any ideas ??
Yes there were many more third party dev's 5 years back, I have a huge 100GB Nebula library. Tim P, Tim Cupwise, Alex B, STN, VNXT, AITB, CDSM are all active but Tim P, Cupwise, and Alex B have new libraries. STN is the under the radar dev many miss out on but I use his verbs, MPC, filters, and synth preamps regularly. VNXT, AITB, and Gene Lennon's TC verbs all the time, so even with age they are still quality tools I recommend.

AA has revamped the 3rd party dev's policies over the past few years and we should soon be seeing new Neb 4 dev's libraries being sold through Aquarius soon. N4 development should pick up as we move forward so be patient and just enjoy the excellent tool.

I strongly second the word on Alex B's MFC, 4KC, and 9 KC Nebula consoles with EQ's for each.
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

I've started to release my vision on modern original Christmas music...... this song is all Nebula/Acqua with one algo verb and one algo peak limiter used , everything else is Nebula technology.

Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just started a thread. Will's post above got me thinking. It seems there's loads of talk of AA plugs and libraries, but, as yet, nowhere on GS where the AA users can share their productions and music they've been producing, predominantly with these tools.................so here's a thread for the community here to share their productions: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work...l#post12949628

Hopefully, people are into a concept like this, and the folks who subsribe to this thread will feel like participating.

Lets hear it.............
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear
Now with Ebony and Lemon my craving for Honey has been revived. I'm back to Mixbus 4 and combining it with Honey. Would there happen to be a Harrison console package out there or just Honey with pre for tracks and VCA for the master bus? Thanks.
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just got Tim P's OPTO 3A and the preamp preset alone was worth it. The tone from that on vocals is fantastic!
Old 9th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
Just got Tim P's OPTO 3A and the preamp preset alone was worth it. The tone from that on vocals is fantastic!
Yup! Same with U76, the preamp has GRIT. Yum.
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

oh wow ... you guys are killin' me !
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yup! Same with U76, the preamp has GRIT. Yum.

I wonder how long it will be before the Tims can make use of the distortion tech that Acustica Audio used to make Lemon. And, I wonder how that will affect the libraries they produce. I mean, if it's gritty right now, imagine what kind of dirty future is to come.
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear
And imagine if they teamed up!
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I wonder how long it will be before the Tims can make use of the distortion tech that Acustica Audio used to make Lemon. And, I wonder how that will affect the libraries they produce. I mean, if it's gritty right now, imagine what kind of dirty future is to come.

I have already been making no chirp preamps for quite a while, this was a tech I added on to a process outside of nat, plus I’ve been making transfer curve style distortions, which creates huge saturations again these are not normal things.

The clip below is dual tech, a hybrid of two techniques at the same time, clip (transfer curve and no chirp pre harmonics

https://m.soundcloud.com/timpetheric...h-clip-and-pre

one should also look here too https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/new-approaches/, these are some things that are unique to my process's, the techniques on the page are to improve overall emulation of eq's and quality. Again i'm not even sure if these are being done by anyone, there are also a load of things built into the comps that simply are unique, they are templates built by function, this is how auto is possible.

Last edited by TimP Nebula; 10th November 2017 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone compared Cupwise's C660 to Ultramarine?
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Here is an example of the STN Langevin library as requested over in the Acustica Audio thread. The song was recorded in a pretty small, very dead room. Vocals aren't done yet. There are three wav files:

-"no L4C" has no no Langevin pres or bus presets on it, and the tracks aren't run through any additional N4 libraries (no tapes, no other consoles, no other pres, etc., except for a few HO mic presets).

-"with L4C" has Langevin mic pres at (the -18 preset) on each track, and then the -18 bus preset on the 2 bus. I also put the MFC drum bus preset on the drum bus because ... well, that's what I'd do when adding in N4 presets.

-the last file, "test master sample," is the song through the actual chain that I will use for the final mixdown, and then through my mastering chain. At the mix stage, each track has this chain on it: -TimP Blue pre > TimP J37 > MFC Line In. And then the mastering chain has some other N4 EQs and stuff on it: MMeQ, Surge, TimP T-Tape, as well as Prime Studio Charley (I really love this summing amp), as well as a touch of AirWindows Powersag. I included a sample of the mastered file because it sounds so much different, and much better than the mixdown files to me. Just going back to the mix without the Blue pre-J37-MFC Line chains, I'm surprised at how harsh and thin it sounds in comparison to the test master file.

If you have any more questions about the recordings, let me know.

Edit: It seems the attachment tool isn't uploading the wav files .... I'll get it sorted out.

Edit: OK, I'm not having success attaching the files through a browser, so you can download them here. Put
https://mega.nz/ into your browser, add #F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ and then hit enter. That'll take you to the download!

Last edited by rosewood123; 12th November 2017 at 10:57 PM..
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Here is an example of the STN Langevin library as requested over in the Acustica Audio thread. The song was recorded in a pretty small, very dead room. Vocals aren't done yet. There are three wav files:

-"no L4C" has no no Langevin pres or bus presets on it, and the tracks aren't run through any additional N4 libraries (no tapes, no other consoles, no other pres, etc., except for a few HO mic presets).

-"with L4C" has Langevin mic pres at (the -18 preset) on each track, and then the -18 bus preset on the 2 bus. I also put the MFC drum bus preset on the drum bus because ... well, that's what I'd do when adding in N4 presets.

-the last file, "test master sample," is the song through the actual chain that I will use for the final mixdown, and then through my mastering chain. At the mix stage, each track has this chain on it: -TimP Blue pre > TimP J37 > MFC Line In. And then the mastering chain has some other N4 EQs and stuff on it: MMeQ, Surge, TimP T-Tape, as well as Prime Studio Charley (I really love this summing amp), as well as a touch of AirWindows Powersag. I included a sample of the mastered file because it sounds so much different, and much better than the mixdown files to me. Just going back to the mix without the Blue pre-J37-MFC Line chains, I'm surprised at how harsh and thin it sounds in comparison to the test master file.

If you have any more questions about the recordings, let me know.

Edit: It seems the attachment tool isn't uploading the wav files .... I'll get it sorted out.

Edit: OK, I'm not having success attaching the files through a browser, so you can download them here. Put
https://mega.nz/ into your browser, add #F !blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ and then hit enter. That'll take you to the download!
Thanks for doing this! I'll have a listen tomorrow, very interesting!
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

I think I might need an EMT 250 library There are options, Cupwise and VNXT has made them, could be others too..What's the sound difference between them? For support (and options) I'll probably get both but it'd be interesting to hear what you guys prefer and in what situations.
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
https://mega.nz/ into your browser, add #F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ and then hit enter. That'll take you to the download!
This should do it:

https://mega.nz/#F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ

Will listen shortly... thanks for posting rosewood, excited to hear the Langevin from STN!
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
This should do it:

https://mega.nz/#F!blYm3JbA!JbsUpM_PN1AgrtQp8AHEFQ

Will listen shortly... thanks for posting rosewood, excited to hear the Langevin from STN!
Yep! Thanks. I find mega download links just sometimes don't work when the full path is given (at least on reddit), so I typically separate the host name from the key as I did before ... but if the full path as you've posted works for everyone, great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search