The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 3rd November 2017
"I want to find out if I do myself and absolute disfavour spending so much on only AA acquas (I have Ebony,Navy,,Emerald, honey, Pearl, Lemon,... too "

As with most audio decisions, some Aquas like Titanium (drum buss) work great and are easy to use. I'm not as big a fan of the Aquamarine, still haven't found a sound that justifies the major CPU hit on the Master Buss. In short, I use more Nebula 3 than Aqua but it's probably more a factor of $ and not enough time spent with each one.

Instead I'm using AlexBs Fenix Drive on the Master, not concerning with how much compression is happening, just a touch.

Just have to invest the time moving through the massive Nebula library to fine gems that fit your music.

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 3rd November 2017 at 04:27 PM..
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You're assuming I assume that Alex does little work for his consoles. I value his work greatly too :¬)

My point is that filters—flavours—can be applied to a track and they either work or they don't. They're static. It's a Yes/No type affair.

Compression is dynamic; movement and action. Infinite variation. Modelling compression ITB has been very difficult for a long time. TimP's stuff is seriously, seriously good. He's managing to capture the feeling of HW like no one else. Including Alex.

IMO, YMMV and all that. Not here to argue Tim vs Alex, I use both of their libraries in every track.
No no I was not assuming.
I was just taking your words for what they were as in ''Much harder to nail a compressor than a single filter'' which in regards of Alex consoles was presuming a console was a very linear in / out process through a single component dialing results when captured....as in ''single filter".

Or maybe I was assuming you were talking about Alex consoles and you were not and now I understand that you're talking about someone else work as alex result is more then a filter, lets just face the facts.

As stated, I dont know which signal path he chose on each of his input and output choice but theres definitely more then a singular static answer to the signal sent through, thats for sure.

One using it with decent monitoring gear can definitely ear the subtility.

Sadly, a console is not static and thats what's wonderful about Alex consoles.
Old 3rd November 2017
Here for the gear
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I agree with all you said.

I believe he should be on the ''VIP level'' just like Tim P because of his console vektors.

Both are very important to me.

Without the SP79, my mixes wouldn't sound like they do.
I agree with you both. And I have SP79, and I really love the filters on SP79.
Thanks for reminding me how awesome it is. I've actually been using X-filter on the 2 because it frames things nicely and seems to have nice preamp tone or some other such magic.

The BluMu update, gotta add, just stellar. Never heard that kind of action on the top end ITB.

Top grade to TimP!!!
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
No no I was not assuming.
I was just taking your words for what they were as in ''Much harder to nail a compressor than a single filter'' which in regards of Alex consoles was presuming a console was a very linear in / out process through a single component dialing results when captured....as in ''single filter".

Or maybe I was assuming you were talking about Alex consoles and you were not and now I understand that you're talking about someone else work as alex result is more then a filter, lets just face the facts.

As stated, I dont know which signal path he chose on each of his input and output choice but theres definitely more then a singular static answer to the signal sent through, thats for sure.

One using it with decent monitoring gear can definitely ear the subtility.

Sadly, a console is not static and thats what's wonderful about Alex consoles.
Achievement Unlocked (AlexB): Best ITB Consoles.

Happy?
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:

Happy?
Hhahaha

cute
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:

Happy?
Hope Slate paladins are not checking this thread or a war could start hahaha
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Hope Slate paladins are not checking this thread or a war could start hahaha
Achievement Unlocked (Slate Digital): Slickest Hair and Marketing

There you go. j/k
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post

What would be my first 'eye opening' step with 3rd developers compressors/eq/tape be - again: darker and smokey/ grainy/ deep.
IMHO Start with...... Tim P's Opto 3A/Tim P's Surge, Blue 1102 or Alex B's MMQ, MFQ/R2R Tapes or Tim P's J37

Not all are dark but all are special sounding. FWIW, all Tim P's comps work so pick your flavor.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
IMHO Start with...... Tim P's Opto 3A/Tim P's Surge, Blue 1102 or Alex B's MMQ, MFQ/R2R Tapes or Tim P's J37

Not all are dark but all are special sounding. FWIW, all Tim P's comps work so pick your flavor.
Hi,

thanks for your suggestions!!

As I do want to know what those tapes will bring to the table I will go with a j37.
As I do love my Universal Solo 610 and 6176 and its weighty sound I think the Opto 3A might fit my taste.

Who knows... maybe you have an opinion/ some experience with the Prime Audio offerings too? As I have said I already have the Sparkle bundle: Is this something you would call 'excellent' as well? Maybe you have even tried the Caribou stuff?

As for the Blue 1102: You seem to have some AA Acquas such as Amethyst, Navy, Gold and Lime I suppose: where does the Blue rank among those Neve eqs? less hifi? better texture...just better?

Can you perhaps describe the Vari Level a bit: big, fat and beefy?

Thanks again for your time and help!
regards
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsuser View Post
Hi,

thanks for your suggestions!!

As I do want to know what those tapes will bring to the table I will go with a j37.

Who knows... maybe you have an opinion/ some experience with the Prime Audio offerings too? As I have said I already have the Sparkle bundle: Is this something you would call 'excellent' as well? Maybe you have even tried the Caribou stuff?

As for the Blue 1102: You seem to have some AA Acquas such as Amethyst, Navy, Gold and Lime I suppose: where does the Blue rank among those Neve eqs? less hifi? better texture...just better?

Can you perhaps describe the Vari Level a bit: big, fat and beefy?

Thanks again for your time and help!
regards

As I do love my Universal Solo 610 and 6176 and its weighty sound I think the Opto 3A might fit my taste.
All in all the main sound difference between the Acqua's and Nebula libraries is that the Acqua'a tend to be a bit more polished or Hi-Fi sounding next to Nebula libraries, akin to how Manley hardware sounds next Fearn or Pendulum Audio. That is not a scientific example just an experienced observation, so I find for me Nebula is best for tracks and Acqua's better for bus work but I do use Ebony and now Lemon on tracks now. With all tools like this it just takes time to learn them and to use them for the sound in your head you want the song to express.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
...With all tools like this it just takes time to learn them and to use them for the sound in your head you want the song to express.
+1 It takes a lot of time but it is a wonderfull world as is the analog gear.
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Nut

Any of you guys own both TP's Opto3a and Cupwise's lunchpail ? Debating which one to try first on Drum/Vocal/Bass busses. I generally prefer Cup for compressors and TP for eq's so leaning towards lunchpail but seeing alot of love for Opto on here. Can anyone tell me their pros/cons?
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Head

opto3 Lunchpail

Will B as you already like cupwise I would go for Lunchpail.
I like Opto3 it's a very simple setup and does the LA3A perfectly but
Lunchpail has got a lot of different tones from the various hard / soft knee options and I really like the variety that I get out of. I find a lot of uses for LP so if I could only buy one right now I would buy Lunchpail first.
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

I’ve learned compressors are compressors. It’s about TONE and nuances. ATTACK, RELEASE, THRESHOLD, and MAKE UP GAIN is the same things in all comps in terminology. But each of my hardware units have a tone that’s pleasing.
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I’ve learned compressors are compressors. It’s about TONE and nuances. ATTACK, RELEASE, THRESHOLD, and MAKE UP GAIN is the same things in all comps in terminology. But each of my hardware units have a tone that’s pleasing.
It might say the same words on all of them, but the way they deal with their 'behaviour controls' and respond ballistics wise sure as shlt is different, even before tone comes into it.....
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
I generally prefer Cup for compressors and TP for eq's
Don't let that figure into your choice. T2 are both outstanding.

So is the apple. And the orange.
Old 5th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
All in all the main sound difference between the Acqua's and Nebula libraries is that the Acqua'a tend to be a bit more polished or Hi-Fi sounding next to Nebula libraries, akin to how Manley hardware sounds next Fearn or Pendulum Audio....
thanks again for reply!

I understand what you are saying...

I just bought the J37 and Vari Level and they are very musical with great depth indeed. My first impression on hearin the vari level was that it was soft, dense but clean. Is this what a Retro Sta-Level sounds like... is it one?

I just wish there were demos as to see what purchases make sense in the context of what you already have...

How does the 1102 eq differ from something like the EQs in Gold, Navy and Amethyst? 1102: clean and open?)

regards
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

@TimP Nebula - Please—please—model the Tube Tech CL-1B!
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
@TimP Nebula - Please—please—model the Tube Tech CL-1B!
I think there's already broad consensus that he should model everything ever made . . .
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Head

Does anyone know of a 33609 comp for nebula? My ideal buss compressor....
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Addict

Cupwise has it: Compressor Bundle | Cupwise FX
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I think there's already broad consensus that he should model everything ever made . . .
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
And how is that? Very good? Or should I stay with the IK version?
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
And how is that? Very good? Or should I stay with the IK version?
I had not use It too much... It has a nice tone but I'm afraid hasn't nailed the action. I got a original hardware (83046) so that it is what I use. Can't speak about the IK.

Alex B has a 2264 which I haven't tryed but for others comments It has the tone too but not the action...

Have you tryed the Lime C compressor?
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear
Cupwise's version is good, the only problem for me is how much it kicks on bass. For that reason I find it almost impossible to use on the master buss even with the HPF in. It just kicks like mad. For individual tracks you'd probably be fine.

IK's version is good for algorithmic.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Cupwise's version is good, the only problem for me is how much it kicks on bass. For that reason I find it almost impossible to use on the master buss even with the HPF in. It just kicks like mad.
"Kicks". What does that even mean? Does it add too much bass? Does it take too much away? Can you please explain what you are trying to describe?
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Attenuates overmuch. Even with half a dB average GR and low ratios it pumped a lot on bass. I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted on the master buss, my only option in that case would probably be parallel. I use the library for drums parallel, vocals. I'm not sure if that's how the hardware reacts, never tried one in the flesh, but I'm guessing no. I don't regret my purchase.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Attenuates overmuch. Even with half a dB average GR and low ratios it pumped a lot on bass. I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted on the master buss, my only option in that case would probably be parallel. I use the library for drums parallel, vocals. I'm not sure if that's how the hardware reacts, never tried one in the flesh, but I'm guessing no. I don't regret my purchase.
Oh. I don't have that library. Thanks for explaining!
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Attenuates? I find that a surprise. I'll be picking the 609 up next week to try for myself but nothing I've read suggests an uneven response. It is after all used for mastering.

And I'd be even more surprised if Tim had chosen a had sounding unmaintained unit.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Many nebula libraries exhibit this problem, that's why they often have a HPF (the hardware does not). It seemed to be especially pronounced on this one, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search