The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Just loaded up 9KC again. It is indeed special :¬)

Buy it!
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
Thanks for everyone's input on this!!

And a sterling review from you Will, thanks dude! I am not going to hesitate with buying N4, just a matter of cash flow.. I totally get the difference, but just struggle to understand why the originators of the brand are being floored by the third party manufactures. Though judging by his reputation round here perhaps it says more about Tim's ears being super supreme....
Tim is a music Engineer and tech's equipment and has been a long time Nebula 3rd party library developer. When AA disappeared 5 year back he really went deep into understanding Nebula and came out with a different level of understanding the tech. He's slowly developed a unique set of tools that have allowed him to make some of the finest Nebula libraries IMHO, and manipulate nebula where nobody else can. I've had many an email conversation with Tim, trust me he knows pro audio and Nebula in and out and his Nebula work reflects that. I call Tim a Nebula Jedi.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 1st November 2017 at 01:39 AM..
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Just loaded up 9KC again. It is indeed special :¬)

Buy it!
I'm tempted to, as I still haven't gotten my hands on an SSL library. And, from the audio demos, I can't tell if I'd prefer the 4KC or the 9KC. Maybe I should just stick with my SP79. I like it.

Any of you guys got both Alex's MMEQ and his EXeQ? Just wondering what you like them for (what they excel at in your opinion).
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Head

Nebula Jedi..... Can you print business cards with that on?

Well you speak very highly of him Will. I will no doubt be cleaning up his shop.... All I really need is a good VCA, opto and vari mu and that's me...

Also, do you have examples of your work? Would love to hear what you do.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

It's incredible that we have so few 3rd parties developers still active. I would say only TimP, Cupwise and Alex B are releasing new libraries today. And a bunch of them are excellent, maybe the best of it's kind.

But I see a lot more potential, if more talented people were releasing libraries for Nebula. We really have to hope to Aquarius been a success, and creating a real market for Nebula.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Just got a great deal on N4 used. I swear I'm gonna actually use it this time. So far I've only tinkered with Nebula 3. Doubt my 3770k CPU can keep up with N4, but I'm planning an 8700k build (with Thunderbolt) soon.

Since Alex B has a sale on, I've been listening to some of the console demo clips. R88 has a nice transformer weight to it, but maybe a little too heavy on the low end (?). 9K seems more balanced, I think I'm getting that one.

I've already got Tim P L-Bus and Sand, so should I bother with the Alex B 9K EQ or Dynamics? Maybe just the EQ?
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
Just got a great deal on N4 used. I swear I'm gonna actually use it this time. So far I've only tinkered with Nebula 3. Doubt my 3770k CPU can keep up with N4, but I'm planning an 8700k build (with Thunderbolt) soon.

Since Alex B has a sale on, I've been listening to some of the console demo clips. R88 has a nice transformer weight to it, but maybe a little too heavy on the low end (?). 9K seems more balanced, I think I'm getting that one.

I've already got Tim P L-Bus and Sand, so should I bother with the Alex B 9K EQ or Dynamics? Maybe just the EQ?
Since you already have SSL EQ, maybe look at MFQ (Neve AMS 88RS EQ) or MMQ (Manley Massive Pasive)to compliment what you already have........ unless you are just an SSL EQ lover. Alex B's comps sound right but do not work right IMHO, Tim P owns Nebula comps with Cupwise second.

I would also suggest Tim P's Surge, Silk, Gyrator, or Blue 1102 EQ's and Opto, U76, Vari Level, Sum 100a & Blu Mu compressors but they are priced so cheap it's like they are on sale every day.

Many of Tim P's stuff now has N4 skins too, for an improved workflow.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I remember hearing a shoot out where the Gemini Audio's 73 pre stood out for me, I just remembered it as I saw your question.. although I haven't bought them myself, as I'm fine with HO's 1073
I went to Gemini Audio's website last night after reading this and saw that they had a library called Kultcomp tube, which has sampled the harmonics from an SPL hardware unit's tube. I thought, flexible tube harmonics .... Why not?

I only got a chance last night to try out the 50% preset, but I'll do some more testing later tonight. So far I like what I hear. I only wonder if it's the model that had the Sovtek or Mullard tube, or if they swapped in something else, and whether it was the model with the Lundahl transformer and if that the tranny is in the tube saturation path.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Since you already have SSL EQ, maybe look at MFQ (Neve AMS 88RS EQ) or MMQ (Manley Massive Pasive)to compliment what you already have........ unless you are just an SSL EQ lover. Alex B's comps sound right but do not work right IMHO, Tim P owns Nebula comps with Cupwise second.

I would also suggest Tim P's Surge, Silk, Gyrator, or Blue 1102 EQ's and Opto, U76, Vari Level, Sum 100a & Blu Mu compressors but they are priced so cheap it's like they are on sale every day.

Many of Tim P's stuff now has N4 skins too, for an improved workflow.
Cool, here's what I own so far.

Tim P: Dualtech, Tube Mid Range, Surge, U76, L-Bus

CDS: Apex tape, Tape Booster+, Globe and Bogen consoles

Acustica: Sand

A pretty sparse collection. I'm planning to buy Vari Level, Opto 3A, 9K console, MMEQ, Flucti Mew and Plates of Legend for sure, and in time I'll probably add Blue Mu, Sum 100a, 1102, Decca, Gyrator and Silk. Also the Lunchpail comp and a matching API EQ, either Alex B or CDS.

I read how you use Nebula on channels and Acqua plugins on busses. I'm still looking at Acquas, haven't decided on any yet. The Prime Studio ones look cool but I heard the CPU hit is heavy and the new AA Acquas are better. Hubbard Squash and the Black EQ/Comp are on sale right now. Seems to me the name Hubbard Squash would be better suited to a compressor. I read that it's a nice EQ, not as good as Surge, but obviously has a killer GUI.

Last edited by jdunn; 2nd November 2017 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: forgot Sand, and Tape Booster
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

TimP is the king of ITB IMHO. His stuff is a dream to use with these new N4 skins. To think one single man can make stuff that beats all these huge companies is amazing (huge props to AA for the N4 framework and engine, of course). And then sell them so cheap! A gift to us, indeed.

Achievement Unlocked: ITB Legend.

Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

I just don’t understand why some are so cpu heavy ( not talking on reverb ). If that’s the case let me get the pre programs and I’ll use a clean ( LEGACY ) version of uad or fabfilter with the pre following after and keep it moving. HO ( AYCE ) for president!
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I just don’t understand why some are so cpu heavy ( not talking on reverb ). If that’s the case let me get the pre programs and I’ll use a clean ( LEGACY ) version of uad or fabfilter with the pre following after and keep it moving. HO ( AYCE ) for president!
My CPU is not the greatest at the moment, so I recommend doing what I do if you're in the same boat and bouncing/rendering each track with your basic pre, tape, and filter N4 libraries. You can just import those new files into a new project so you don't have to deal with the CPU load.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear
I second rosewood123.

Emulate analogue processes as well as plugs. Have a recording/VI session, maybe use mic, pre/console, tape then render everything. If you're VI heavy you might need to freeze or render before adding effects.

Import that audio into a mix session and add console eq comp reverb etc

Then if you master do that in session 3.
Old 2nd November 2017
Quote:
TimP is the king of ITB IMHO.

Achievement Unlocked: ITB Legend.

I think we should also add AlexB to this list.

He also did some stuff that are unbelivable.

Not to take anything out of Tim P, I'm a huuuuge Fan.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I second rosewood123.

Emulate analogue processes as well as plugs. Have a recording/VI session, maybe use mic, pre/console, tape then render everything. If you're VI heavy you might need to freeze or render before adding effects.

Import that audio into a mix session and add console eq comp reverb etc

Then if you master do that in session 3.
I just press the commit button in protools and move along in that one session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
My CPU is not the greatest at the moment, so I recommend doing what I do if you're in the same boat and bouncing/rendering each track with your basic pre, tape, and filter N4 libraries. You can just import those new files into a new project so you don't have to deal with the CPU load.
I have the 3rd gen i5 which is still good enough for my line of work but just certain things become a pain so I back off of it.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear
I don't use protools but if commit frees resources that's cool.

Is it irreversible? There's something more to be gained from committing to your recording session prior to mixing. It focuses me at least. I'll admit to going back to the recording project and changing something but, that being awkward simulates old pre DAW working patterns. It motivates me to be better.

Mileage etc.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I don't use protools but if commit frees resources that's cool.

Is it irreversible? There's something more to be gained from committing to your recording session prior to mixing. It focuses me at least. I'll admit to going back to the recording project and changing something but, that being awkward simulates old pre DAW working patterns. It motivates me to be better.

Mileage etc.
Unlike most, I commit going into the box. I don’t play I’ll fix it in the mix game. I have great color boxes around me. Even run preamps after my compressors and get a sound I like ( OUTBOARD ) before tracking.
Old 2nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Sorry for a dumb question, never heard about it before but is Nebula a hardware or is it a multi-fx plug-in?
Old 2nd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJacobsson View Post
Sorry for a dumb question, never heard about it before but is Nebula a hardware or is it a multi-fx plug-in?
Not a dumb question.

Its a plugin with its own ''sampling'' technology powered by Acustica Audio

More here:
https://www.acustica-audio.com/index...art&Itemid=189
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

TimP is on a league of his own.

No disrespect to other developers but his stuff brings the sound to another level.

Triple-A and a simple track EQ (Like ReaEQ) could be all that one needs (given you have the CPU juice)
Old 2nd November 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I think we should also add AlexB to this list.

He also did some stuff that are unbelivable.

Not to take anything out of Tim P, I'm a huuuuge Fan.
As much as I loved and used Alex' stuff over many years, his compressors are, to me, just color boxes, nothing else (for instance, Phoenix sounds nothing like the real unit, I'm just using this as an example because I used the hw a lot), while Tim's libraries are praised even more than the nice and shiny Acqua comp plugins. However, Alex' contribution in the console and eq areas are significant, but it seems that lately Tim invested a lot more time and energy to bring out the best possible sound achievable with Nebula.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Amazing Nebula 4 workflow tweak/app!

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_PatchWork/

This is fantastic - you can create chains of N4 (even in parallel!) and save them as presets. Just tested - works perfectly; it automatically loads the libraries in each N4 instance without issue.

The presets are DAW independent, you can use them anywhere. I know Reaper has proprietary chains, but not all DAWs do (and to various degrees of usefulness). This one is cross platform. Save in Live, use in Logic (or whatever)! We may even be able to share them between us. This example uses 9KC Line in as the Pre, and then Silk EQ (H/L and Mid instances) in the Parallel Chains. You can even mix the chains via that overview window. Watch the first video on the link for more info.

The parallel chains are incredibly useful for A/B testing different chains (i.e. on vocals).

HELL YES!

Last edited by b0se; 3rd November 2017 at 01:02 AM..
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Just to test, if someone has both 9KC and Silk (@SameOh or @Will The Weirdo?), see if this preset works...

I doubt it will, as I assume the app will save the absolute path to the N4 library (and the VST itself), meaning that if we have different drive names (or alternative path folders) it won't find the library. Worth a pop though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EQ 9KC-IN TimP-Silk.preset.zip (11.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Amazing Nebula 4 workflow tweak/app!

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_PatchWork/

This is fantastic - you can create chains of N4 (even in parallel!) and save them as presets. Just tested - works perfectly; it automatically loads the libraries in each N4 instance without issue.

The presets are DAW independent, you can use them anywhere. I know Reaper has proprietary chains, but not all DAWs do (and to various degrees of usefulness). This one is cross platform. Save in Live, use in Logic (or whatever)! We may even be able to share them between us. This example uses 9KC Line in as the Pre, and then Silk EQ (H/L and Mid instances) in the Parallel Chains. You can even mix the chains via that overview window. Watch the first video on the link for more info.

The parallel chains are incredibly useful for A/B testing different chains (i.e. on vocals).

HELL YES!
I’ve been doing this since patchwork 1.0 / AGENT.

But I’ve gone back to use STOCK NEBULA library and let me just say they sound AWESOME. That was all.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_ View Post
I’ve been doing this since patchwork 1.0 / AGENT.

But I’ve gone back to use STOCK NEBULA library and let me just say they sound AWESOME. That was all.
Agent crashed on me all the time.

What do you mean back to stock? What does that have to do with using a plugin that loads multiple instances? They don't affect the sound...
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
As much as I loved and used Alex' stuff over many years, his compressors are, to me, just color boxes, nothing else (for instance, Phoenix sounds nothing like the real unit, I'm just using this as an example because I used the hw a lot), while Tim's libraries are praised even more than the nice and shiny Acqua comp plugins. However, Alex' contribution in the console and eq areas are significant, but it seems that lately Tim invested a lot more time and energy to bring out the best possible sound achievable with Nebula.
I agree with all you said.

I believe he should be on the ''VIP level'' just like Tim P because of his console vektors.

Both are very important to me.

Without the SP79, my mixes wouldn't sound like they do.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

I was talking about compression. AlexB's consoles are wonderful, they live on my mixbus.

It's much harder to nail a compressor than a single filter though. Different ballpark.
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:
I was talking about compression. AlexB's consoles are wonderful, they live on my mixbus.

It's much harder to nail a compressor than a single filter though. Different ballpark.
I wouldn't go that far as I have no presumption on the work process needed to capture a SP79 and its modules (dunno which one he passed his signal through).

My guess is that there's more then filter here.....dunno....

Maybe take a look at the modules in the console ?

Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

I'd much appreciate if someone would share their experience if you have to decide following:

I really like what I can hear with the Prime Audio Caribou compressor trial/demo... (which is a Neve from the 8016).

I prefer the texture over the Gold Acqua, Amethyst and the even cleaner Lime which I own as well.

Now is the Caribou then just the best thing there is for my taste or will you now say: yes, ok, then you should go for an N54 or N64 from Alex B.

I think it is really tricky: I started out with Audio Acustica Acquas and even bought the N4 but don't really dare to go into the 3rd developers section. Just saying as it is ... as if my i7 920 6gb daw will be at an disadvantage with N4 libraries compared to Acquas... as if Acquas are more advanced and Nebula offerings more basic and somehow inferior.

It is really a shame though understandable that there are no trials with Tim P, Alec B and Cupwise,...
It makes the first step so much harder imho.

an other example: Ok, I get Tim P compressors it is I have the Ulramarine.... is a TimP Vari Level though different an equally amazing encounter?

lastly: We all have our Preamps on the AA Acquas which sound great imo.
Where would something like AlexB consoles come in here... on top of the other Acquas and on every channel or just the micbus ? or will you then (tendency) switch off some of the Acqua preamps?

I like my Prime Audio Sparkle /EMI Bundle and grainier Neve (as in Caribou) and also love everything with a darker/ earthy texture (not SSL or Avalon and similar):

What would be my first 'eye opening' step with 3rd developers compressors/eq/tape be - again: darker and smokey/ grainy/ deep.

I want to find out if I do myself and absolute disfavour spending so much on only AA acquas (I have Ebony,Navy,,Emerald, honey, Pearl, Lemon,... too )

Thanks for helping and sharing your thoughts!
regards
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martel80 View Post
I wouldn't go that far as I have no presumption on the work process needed to capture a SP79 and its modules (dunno which one he passed his signal through).

My guess is that there's more then filter here.....dunno....

Maybe take a look at the modules in the console ?

You're assuming I assume that Alex does little work for his consoles. I value his work greatly too :¬)

My point is that filters—flavours—can be applied to a track and they either work or they don't. They're static. It's a Yes/No type affair.

Compression is dynamic; movement and action. Infinite variation. Modelling compression ITB has been very difficult for a long time. TimP's stuff is seriously, seriously good. He's managing to capture the feeling of HW like no one else. Including Alex.

IMO, YMMV and all that. Not here to argue Tim vs Alex, I use both of their libraries in every track.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search