The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
Any recommendations for echo chambers in Nebuland?
Cupwise released one this days.
Old 30th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Cupwise released one this days.
Oh sweet. Thanks!
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Is AlexB's N73 EQ the best Neve 1073 (preamp/eq) out there?

@Will The Weirdo - sorry to tag, but you likely know the answer
I almost never use AlexB's 73 preamp, I find myself using HO's more and I rarely use Neve EQ's in hardware or software, they are too limited freq wise and broad for my needs. So I'm really the wrong person to ask, lol.

If I had to give an answer, I would say Tim P's Blue 1102 over any of the other 73 EQ libraries, as the 1102 is smoother with better filters and N4 skins for a better workflow. Tim is killing everything these days so maybe I'm biased, lol.

As always, to each their own.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I almost never use AlexB's 73 preamp, I find myself using HO's more and I rarely use Neve EQ's in hardware or software, they are too limited freq wise and broad for my needs. So I'm really the wrong person to ask, lol.

If I had to give an answer, I would say Tim P's Blue 1102 over any of the other 73 EQ libraries, as the 1102 is smoother with better filters and N4 skins for a better workflow. Tim is killing everything these days so maybe I'm biased, lol.

Thanks Will!
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tim P has done an echo. cupwise has done several. check out their websites. Thing is, these Nebula libraries are rather limited. They sound pretty cool, and well different from algo stuff for sure, but there's a lack of tweaking available, you are limited to certain timings and tempos.

The ultimate, so far, in all things echo/delay, with Acustica technology, is Lemon. It's a beast, features lots of choice, many different models, all painstakingly sampled, plus it doesn't end there...........................It's a great tone shaper too, featuring the saturation/distortion characteristics of many of the sampled units in question, and indeed, just as effective as a tone tool, as it is as a delay or echo tool.

Thing about nebula/aqua delay is, you won't be able to push the presets into crazy feedback and self oscillations, or indeed anything to do with pitch...........the tech just doesn't support this as yet...............BUT, Lemon sounds fabulous for conventional echo/delay/tape/saturation...........
Good luck.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I can vouch for Blue 1102 as well. Wonderful preamp, fantastic EQ. When I want a modern Neve sound, I reach for AlexB's R33 or MFQ. But these days I'm mostly reaching for passive EQs in N4 because I've just fallen in love with the sound ....
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reverbs – Real Spaces | Cupwise FX

I like those a lot!
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
Tim P has done an echo. cupwise has done several. check out their websites. Thing is, these Nebula libraries are rather limited. They sound pretty cool, and well different from algo stuff for sure, but there's a lack of tweaking available, you are limited to certain timings and tempos.
The Cupwise chambers and plates that I've used have a damping control to shorten the tails. You're right that I can't tweak it to self-oscillate or do some of the crazier stuff that algos can do. But, thus far, I've been very happy with my Cupwise chambers and verbs. Basic controls. Great tone! With these Cupwise chambers and *real spaces*, based on the tone, I finally feel like I will begin to use more verb my songs. In the past, I have always kind of been anti-verb, leaning toward a very dry sound.

So, in addition to tweaking the tail of the verb to fit the track, I send a piece of the signal that I want to process to an FX bus in Cubase. On that channel, I typically insert a no-repeat delay set to generate pre-delay in milliseconds, HP (up to 600hz) and LP (10khz or less) filters, EQ for mids, and/or a de-esser to control harsh tones. Also, I experiment with preamps, tapes, and compressors blended into the chain on that FX bus. Basically, I just seem to be approaching the N4 chambers kinda like the way they used to. I've got a lot to learn...

For crazier stuff, I'll use Eventide's Blackhole or FX (multiple) with automation. Here is an example of me using that automation thing on several elements in a song that I made many years ago - before I got into Nebula:
Old 30th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
So, in addition to tweaking the tail of the verb to fit the track, I send a piece of the signal that I want to process to an FX bus in Cubase. On that channel, I typically insert a no-repeat delay set to generate pre-delay in milliseconds, HP (up to 600hz) and LP (10khz or less) filters, EQ for mids, and/or a de-esser to control harsh tones. Also, I experiment with preamps, tapes, and compressors blended into the chain on that FX bus. Basically, I just seem to be approaching the N4 chambers kinda like the way they used to. I've got a lot to learn...\
Yes! I remember reading about these exact techniques from one of the Beatles engineers, I forget if it was Ken Scott or Norman Smith. Looking forward to slapping these Cupwise chambers on some BVs!
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been using Sand on the mixbus since I bought it last year. Love it!

L-Bus seems 'deeper' to me (hard to explain), the glue it gives you is more invisible. It reaches down further into the aspects of the track, into smaller spaces. A darker hue. Hard to explain, more of a feeling.

Sand has a brighter tone and doesn't reach as deep.

Both great, and what works depends on the source material. L-Bus is my new default though!

Looking forward to testing L-Bus followed by Novatron later this week.

This is why I am thinking about finally jumping into the Nebula world.
Your take on Acustica Sand is the same for me.
The EQ is good , but the compressor is bad with anything more than 2 db at 2:1.
It's a shame that Acustica has not updated the compressor as of yet.

Looking forward to trying TimP L-Buss. Hope it works well on more extreme 2 buss settings also.

Also , in Nebula , any recommendations for the best Manley Vari-Mu comp?
Nothing I've heard in plugins can get the 3d thing it does.
thanks
s
Old 30th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance View Post
thanks
s
Cupwise - Flucti-Mew (Super CPU intensive)

Crazy good.
Old 30th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance View Post
This is why I am thinking about finally jumping into the Nebula world.
Your take on Acustica Sand is the same for me.
The EQ is good , but the compressor is bad with anything more than 2 db at 2:1.
It's a shame that Acustica has not updated the compressor as of yet.

Looking forward to trying TimP L-Buss. Hope it works well on more extreme 2 buss settings also.

thanks
s
I used 2:1 with SAND also, slowest attack and auto release. 1-3dB GR.

L-Bus at 4:1 sounds great (not tried any higher yet). Enjoy!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used 2:1 with SAND also, slowest attack and auto release. 1-3dB GR.

L-Bus at 4:1 sounds great (not tried any higher yet). Enjoy!
Tim added the Wet/Dry and HP to L Bus allowing you to push it where you would not the hardware..... then just dial the Wet/Dry to your liking for some results I've never gotten from the hardware.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tim added the Wet/Dry and HP to L Bus allowing you to push it where you would not the hardware..... then just dial the Wet/Dry to your liking for some results I've never gotten from the hardware.
The HP addition is fantastic. I've yet to try pushing more GR and running in parallel (via mix) yet.
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Nut

I see Alex B is offering a 20% Halloween discount on his fantastic libraries (excluding bundles)!!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali.bre View Post
I see Alex B is offering a 20% Halloween discount on his fantastic libraries (excluding bundles)!!
I'm thinking about getting the 9KC. Anyone have experiences with this library?
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Finally going to buy one of his consoles but do I go MFC or one of the newer ones like Rupert 88 or 9KC?
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Head

I've recently been looking into taking the plunge with nebula. I LOVE acustica's products and have bought many (Gold, Pearl, Sand, Ultra, Coral, Diamond). I am the first one to be championing the technology and particularly how damn good they sound. However, I still feel that there is something off about compression characteristics. Coral probably came the closest for me in terms of feeling like an analog behaviour... but most of the others still don't quite feel right to me. Does anyone else feel like this? How can I describe how I'm feeling... most of them just turn to mush...

Particularly Sand, but also Pearl, Aqua, Gold.

I see a lot of good press for Tim P and a few other third parties, it's a shame I can't demo things until I buy nebula, but my question is; is there anyone else out there that feels the same way, that feels these third party libraries, specifically the compressors behave in a predictable analog manner.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
I've recently been looking into taking the plunge with nebula. I LOVE acustica's products and have bought many (Gold, Pearl, Sand, Ultra, Coral, Diamond). I am the first one to be championing the technology and particularly how damn good they sound. However, I still feel that there is something off about compression characteristics. Coral probably came the closest for me in terms of feeling like an analog behaviour... but most of the others still don't quite feel right to me. Does anyone else feel like this? How can I describe how I'm feeling... most of them just turn to mush...

I see a lot of good press for Tim P and a few other third parties, it's a shame I can't demo things until I buy nebula, but my question is; is there anyone else out there that feels the same way, that feels these third party libraries, specifically the compressors behave in a predictable analog manner.
You can demo libraries with Nebula Demo, am I wrong ?

If that is possible, I would recommend trying everything you can. Cupwise Lunchpail have a nice demo.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I don't use AA compressors anymore, only TimP. I own the same AAs as you (bar Aqua).

Opto 3A
Vari-Level
U76

Done. You could live on those three forever. So cheap too! It's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Finally going to buy one of his consoles but do I go MFC or one of the newer ones like Rupert 88 or 9KC?
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the 9KC. Anyone have experiences with this library?
I own most the consoles, but MFC remains my mixbus choice. Depends on the flavour you want (and the record). 9KC is great too, bought that recently. Not much help there, but, buy with confidence.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'll say this..... when the newest Opto 3A update was released a few months back I was floored by what Tim P was able to achieve with Nebula compression. I was able for the first time ITB, to compress 808 kick drums just like hardware without any smear or distortion..... I mean JUST LIKE HARDWARE. Since then he's updated most of his comps and I use them everywhere. Opto 3A and U76 all over my drums with L Bus on the drum bus, Vari Level and Sum 100a on vocals, U76, Blu Mu, and Opto 3A on music and Bass..... not to mention his EQ's!! Then Cupwise, STN, and AITB verbs into Alex B's consoles....... Digital audio heaven for me! Let's not forget the Nebula world is 100x larger than the Acqua world, but Acqua is about workflow convenience.

As a pro I can say with confidence you will not regret going into Nebula, in fact you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner, lol. The ONLY thing to remember is that it is only one instance at a time in Nebula, so you'll use chains to achieve your goals, then freezing, if that does not deter you then prepare to be happy with digital audio.

AA's Nebula 4 is my main tool for mixing with Acqua's here and there for cleanup duties..... but Lemon and Ebony do get more use as verb and delay duties.
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If that is possible, I would recommend trying everything you can. Cupwise Lunchpail have a nice demo.
Do you use that on anything else bar the kick drum?
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Head

Thanks for everyone's input on this!!

And a sterling review from you Will, thanks dude! I am not going to hesitate with buying N4, just a matter of cash flow.. I totally get the difference, but just struggle to understand why the originators of the brand are being floored by the third party manufactures. Though judging by his reputation round here perhaps it says more about Tim's ears being super supreme....
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is AlexB's N73 EQ the best Neve 1073 (preamp/eq) out there?

@Will The Weirdo - sorry to tag, but you likely know the answer
I remember hearing a shoot out where the Gemini Audio's 73 pre stood out for me, I just remembered it as I saw your question.. although I haven't bought them myself, as I'm fine with HO's 1073
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Big +1 for Cupwise's chambers. I bought the Chambers of Doom today and I was floored after hearing them!
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I remember hearing a shoot out where the Gemini Audio's 73 pre stood out for me, I just remembered it as I saw your question.. although I haven't bought them myself, as I'm fine with HO's 1073
Need to check that out - thanks!
Old 31st October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Big +1 for Cupwise's chambers. I bought the Chambers of Doom today and I was floored after hearing them!
Yes, I was just listening to the audio clips on his website. Not sure whether to get his Chambers Of Myth first, or Chambers Of Doom. Would get both, but AlexB has a sale on lol
Old 31st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you use that on anything else bar the kick drum?
Well, not for real, but I have been making some tests in using the lunchpail on stereo to use as I would use an API 2500. Maybe the drum bus?
Old 31st October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Thank you for this. I just bought N4 yesterday, so this is perfect timing!
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Just slapped on my new TimP Surge skin for N4. Pretty.

Thank you TimP and JPN.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search