The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Alright, I finally picked up Opto3a, and you guys are totally right .... Beyond amazing on drums. Crushed some live drum tracks and it just adds this wonderful weight. So then I had a bass guitar track that had already been compressed some but still needed a bit of taming, and I thought, Let's see how it does here. I'd say it's equally amazing .... Beautiful compression while again imparting this weight. Put the pre on after and dialed in the drive setting and have a great bass sound.

After this, I thought I'd give it the call for vocal duties and it's also shined. Really nice, smooth sound. I can't really ask for more for a vocal compressor. So thus far it's turning out to be an unbelievably versatile compressor with this lovely weight and natural sound that I imagine people are talking about when they talk about the magic of hardware (but I can't say because I've never had the privilege of working with high end hardware).
Try this..... smash any drum with 15-20 db of reduction then bring it back up with makeup, just magic for an ITB compressor.
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Try this..... smash any drum with 15-20 db of reduction then bring it back up with makeup, just magic for an ITB compressor.
Thanks for the tip, Will. Also, I'm really digging Tim's new L-Bus SSL style compressor!

So, I doubt I'll buy Sand. I still haven't pulled the trigger on an SSL-ish console library, though.
-
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by systmu View Post
Hi, I just bought nebula so I read this whole thread. I think I get the gist of must haves, Ho Ayce, alexb MFC and MMEQ, vnxt 140(anythign else), cupwise bx20, and timp compressors and epecially his surge EQ. am I missing anything that are must haves? Are there any pultec libraries that are as good as the acustica purple bundle which I really like. How does TIMP dualtech compare to purple? Also is there any nebula alternatives to Acustica GOLD, which I love? Oh yeah and is the commercial library really not installing at all? there is nothing good in there? Ok thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
I greatly prefer Dualtech to Purple. It's the among the best if not the best pultec in Nebula land. Alex B has one too and it sounds good, but the differences in phase for stereo (it's two different units and you can't change that) are a bit much for me.

Blue 1102 (Neve 31102) is probably most in line with the stuff you'd find in Gold. On his MWTM video Joe Chicarelli was using a ton of that on the 8088 in Sunset Sound.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi, I just bought nebula so I read this whole thread. I think I get the gist of must haves, Ho Ayce, alexb MFC and MMEQ, vnxt 140(anythign else), cupwise bx20, and timp compressors and epecially his surge EQ. am I missing anything that are must haves? Are there any pultec libraries that are as good as the acustica purple bundle which I really like. How does TIMP dualtech compare to purple? Also is there any nebula alternatives to Acustica GOLD, which I love? Oh yeah and is the commercial library really not installing at all? there is nothing good in there? Ok thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
Tim P has an awesome Neve 33102 library with
a great N4 skin, it's not a rival to Gold in terms of functionality and variation but it is an awesome vintage Neve EQ!!
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMHO Dualtech is a more accurate classic Pultec EQ over Purple, Dualtec N4 skins are coming soon in v2, I'm beta testing it now.

Gold will be hard to outdo in Nebula libraries due to the size of Gold and not all those hardware are available in Nebula. You could go with HO's 73 Preamps, Alex B's 73 EQ and Tim's Blue 1102, with Alex B's 80 series console...... just grab Tim's Vari-Level and Opto 3a for comps and you'll compete with Gold IMHO. Gold will have the advantage is workflow with one plugin but the Nebula chain will have superior sound, compressors and a wider color base to choose from, and I'm a Gold fan saying that. Nebula is just more versitle IMHO but more difficult to use as it is only single bad per instance. I create and save Nebula chains in Reaper for easy recall.

I've never used the AA commercial library much as most programs are just ok sounding, I consider HO's AYCE to be the real Nebula commercial library. With AYCE, it is huge but don't sleep on his Titan 2 (vintage Helios) preamp with input levels, it's special. HO's mic's are the best too.
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
IMHO Dualtech is a more accurate classic Pultec EQ over Purple, Dualtec N4 skins are coming soon in v2, I'm beta testing it now.
Oh I think I’ve got this wrong, I thought TimP’s mid range EQ was a Purple type EQ. Bought it for EQing guitars. Should I have gone for the Dualtec for that Purple/Pultec sound then?
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Alright, I finally picked up Opto3a, and you guys are totally right .... Beyond amazing on drums. Crushed some live drum tracks and it just adds this wonderful weight..
Quote:
Bought it, tried it, heard it.

Added a bit of Tim P's SCS Treble and Bass (aka SpeCial Sauce) on the parallel bus and..there it was.

Ooooooooh!
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomheavybeats View Post
Oh I think I’ve got this wrong, I thought TimP’s mid range EQ was a Purple type EQ. Bought it for EQing guitars. Should I have gone for the Dualtec for that Purple/Pultec sound then?
They're both Pultecs...

The Midrange is the MEQ-5 and Dualtech is EQ1a
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin View Post
They're both Pultecs...

The Midrange is the MEQ-5 and Dualtech is EQ1a
Oh ok perfect, thanks. Sounds like the one more suited for guitars so all good
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
am I missing anything that are must haves?
Id recommend these neb-programs/acquas for anyone new to this technology.

All Timp's releases lately are recommended, especially if you own nebula setups. Workflow is really good with his stuff, and that is also where the other devs usually come short. :

CDSoundmaster ACC
CDSoundmaster Peak 200A
Olonga Titan Pre
Timp Opto3a
Timp U76
Timp Vari-level
Timp L-bus

Below are the eq's/preamps, delay/reverb I'd buy in Acqua-form before getting any nebula equivalents. (Because of workflow.)

Cobalt
Ebony
Lemon
Ivory
Gold
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Tested L-Bus today. Grabs and let the transients pass like you would expect from a SSL. Feels really good to dial the right setting. Every change on attack and release is easily heard.

About the tone. Yeah, I don't hear the glassy, polished vibey of the usual SSL emulations, and what might be expected from newer SSLs like the X-Logic. I hear a bit darker and crunchier tone.

In summary, great action and a little more vintage tone.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Tested L-Bus today. Grabs and let the transients pass like you would expect from a SSL. Feels really good to dial the right setting. Every change on attack and release is easily heard.

About the tone. Yeah, I don't hear the glassy, polished vibey of the usual SSL emulations, and what might be expected from newer SSLs like the X-Logic. I hear a bit darker and crunchier tone.

This sums up perfectly what I think of L-Buss. Love it.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

This sums up perfectly what I think of L-Buss. Love it.
Old 22nd October 2017
Gear Nut

TP's L-Buss sounds great to me! I've noticed on my Win 7 & 10 systems using S1 3.5.2 that the CPU consumption using N4 is very high, e.g. >27% using Comp Ratio 4 at 44.1k. Using Setups with N3 is significantly more CPU friendly so I'm happy to have the choice.

One of my standard reference tests is to load Fagan's H-Gang and test (slow atk/fast rls, TH ~2pm on L-Buss, HP ~70) the comp listening to that nice crisp, tight staccato-y bass / kick combo. L-Buss adds that pleasant girth that I hear with AB's MFC Modern console setting. (I'm going to have to resist combining them.)

Great job, Tim!
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
Id recommend these neb-programs/acquas for anyone new to this technology.

All Timp's releases lately are recommended, especially if you own nebula setups. Workflow is really good with his stuff, and that is also where the other devs usually come short. :

CDSoundmaster ACC
CDSoundmaster Peak 200A
Olonga Titan Pre
Timp Opto3a
Timp U76
Timp Vari-level
Timp L-bus

Below are the eq's/preamps, delay/reverb I'd buy in Acqua-form before getting any nebula equivalents. (Because of workflow.)

Cobalt
Ebony
Lemon
Ivory
Gold
Couldn't find good infos/tutorial to set, on a mac, Nebula Setups.. last attempt i did resulted in a mess with my libraries.. any help.. [email protected] would be really appreciated.. found nothing clear/good on AA Web-Forum
Old 23rd October 2017
Well, just feeded my Nebula library a little bit

Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
Sexy collection there dude :¬)

Tim's compressors are the best ITB. The only algo one that I use now that keeps up is, surprisingly, FG-Stress. Slate have outdone themselves with that one (also taking into account usability, CPU and speed). Great to track and produce with. Then move to Nebula for mixing/mastering.

Get AlexB's MFC as a priority too. Mixing into that.

Try Violet (Thermionic Phoenix SB - included free with Nebula) on the mixbus after T-Bus. Just a 1-2 dB kiss. Super smooth.

Edit: You MUST buy Vari-Level for vocals! Opto3A is great for vocals too, but Vari is perfecto. Tim states that the preamp should be loaded after the compressor instance.

Last edited by b0se; 23rd October 2017 at 04:28 PM..
Old 23rd October 2017
Will checked those asap. Already have Violet and the other day bought N60a wich is pretty good IMO for heavy compression
Old 23rd October 2017
Also bought a while ago STN SSTone which stays always in my master bus, good depth and round ass ... I mean bass
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Will checked those asap. Already have Violet and the other day bought N60a wich is pretty good IMO for heavy compression
N60a is great too. I can't believe how cheap Tim's stuff is!
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Couldn't have invested your money in a better way.

You're going to love them.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear
I'd call it a fair start Heraldo, but there's more to do...Next steps for mastering I'd suggest Surge and Silk. For mixing don't overlook 31102. Then from Alex B his 550s rule as does Cup's matching Lunchpali comp.

JPN has done skins for all. The 550 you have to get fro his site if still available.

The beauty is that you will actually hear that with Nebs. To me, I struggled to hear different characters in algoland.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamejake View Post
TP's L-Buss sounds great to me! I've noticed on my Win 7 & 10 systems using S1 3.5.2 that the CPU consumption using N4 is very high, e.g. >27% using Comp Ratio 4 at 44.1k. Using Setups with N3 is significantly more CPU friendly so I'm happy to have the choice.

One of my standard reference tests is to load Fagan's H-Gang and test (slow atk/fast rls, TH ~2pm on L-Buss, HP ~70) the comp listening to that nice crisp, tight staccato-y bass / kick combo. L-Buss adds that pleasant girth that I hear with AB's MFC Modern console setting. (I'm going to have to resist combining them.)

Great job, Tim!
Tim is working on a lower CPU version of L Buss.

What we have found is that N4 is heavier on the Master bus than on channels. A workaround it to create an L Bus channel with L Bus comp on it, send all your tracks and busses that would normal go to your master to the L Bus track, then send the L Bus track to the master..... that should lighten the CPU load.
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Tim is working on a lower CPU version of L Buss.

What we have found is that N4 is heavier on the Master bus than on channels. A workaround it to create an L Bus channel with L Bus comp on it, send all your tracks and busses that would normal go to your master to the L Bus track, then send the L Bus track to the master..... that should lighten the CPU load.
Thanks, Will. That's great news!

I'll give that trick a shot. This is really a very nice compressor!!!!

Thanks, again!
Old 23rd October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I'd call it a fair start Heraldo, but there's more to do...Next steps for mastering I'd suggest Surge and Silk. For mixing don't overlook 31102. Then from Alex B his 550s rule as does Cup's matching Lunchpali comp.

JPN has done skins for all. The 550 you have to get fro his site if still available.

The beauty is that you will actually hear that with Nebs. To me, I struggled to hear different characters in algoland.
I will check all of them. Thank you!
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Having a lot of fun with the new L-Bus. Just put one of the two settings I always use (ratio 4; attack 10 or 30; release auto or fastest) and set the threshold to get from 2 to 5 of reduction, depending on how much punch and glue you want.

And boy, this comp can add glue and punch to the 2-bus like few options ITB.

Not for every track, I must say, but I'm having so much fun that I'm thinking about sliding it to the track that I'm doing right now.

Oh, the HPF SC helps a lot too.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having a lot of fun with the new L-Bus. Just put one of the two settings I always use (ratio 4; attack 10 or 30; release auto or fastest) and set the threshold to get from 2 to 5 of reduction, depending on how much punch and glue you want.

And boy, this comp can add glue and punch to the 2-bus like few options ITB.

Not for every track, I must say, but I'm having so much fun that I'm thinking about sliding it to the track that I'm doing right now.

Oh, the HPF SC helps a lot too.
I'll give that a pop. Been using attack 30, auto release and 2:1 with about 3-4 dB GR.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

so how do you guys think Tim`s new L-bus wonder compares to Sand bus comp ?
no one has mentioned that yet so i had to ask
Old 23rd October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Interested in this too
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Sand sounds like the XLogic buss comp next to L Bus, which sounds dark and very 1990's SSL. The added HP and wet/dry make L Bus a fantastic tool for bus work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search