The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
I have Blue Mu and U76 in the shopping cart. Also thinking about 100a, but I have Softube TLA100 so don't know if it worths it. I also have Acustica Titanium but I think Blue Mu is some kind of hybrid between the Tubetech and Fairchild stuff. The other day I bought the n60a, stunning ... in the way a 160a could be of course hahaha. Do anyone have demos of the 3a attitude?
If I had to pick, I would choose Opto3a and Vari-Level.

With the Opto, smash some Drums, and listen to the depth and the saturation. Beautiful.

The Vari-Level is a little miracle. Try compressing 10db or a bit more of a vocal track, with the fastest attack and release. Listen to how creamy and smooth it does the job.

This will give you an idea of what this beasts can do.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
If I had to pick, I would choose Opto3a and Vari-Level.

With the Opto, smash some Drums, and listen to the depth and the saturation. Beautiful.

The Vari-Level is a little miracle. Try compressing 10db or a bit more of a vocal track, with the fastest attack and release. Listen to how creamy and smooth it does the job.

This will give you an idea of what this beasts can do.
Yup, yup and yup!
Old 19th October 2017
Hey all

What are the best Nebula reverbs?

Mainly interested in plates and springs.

Thanks

Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggo Myrtle View Post
Hey all

Mainly interested in plates and springs.

Thanks

VNXT and Cupwise.

They both have EMT plates and the AKG BX20 spring reverb.

Only talking about the sound, I would go with VNXT (I remember the first time I listened to it, blew my mind), but I had some problems with it working properly in Nebula 4. All solved by now, but a bit of a headache. And they are very, very CPU demanding.

Said that, Acustica Ebony is equally as good, and a lot easy to use, CPU, etc. And have comps and eqs to shape the reverb. Today, I think it's the best option.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggo Myrtle View Post
Best is subjective with verbs but IMHO.........

Real spaces - AITB packs, Room Hunters, & Cupwise real rooms
Plates - Cupwise POL 1-3, VNXT EMT's
Hardware boxes - STN packs & Gene Lennon's TC6000
Springs - VNXT & Cupwise
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Acustica Ebony is equally as good, and a lot easy to use, CPU, etc. And have comps and eqs to shape the reverb. Today, I think it's the best option.
I'll 2nd what he said, Ebony gets used on every session here, it's just too fast to dial in and sounds superb, it is my go to snare plugin.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I love that sum 100 v2 N4 skin JPN did for Tim P. I hope that shows up and surprises me one of these days.
Thank you TimP for the Sum100 v3 update, and that sleek new N4 skin

edit: and JPN for that skin !
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

@Will The Weirdo, @SameOh - tried the LS Seventh Heaven reverb?
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Reverberate 2 yes, Seventh Heaven no...... I've honestly stopped getting new verbs as I have everything more than covered.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. It is lovely. One of my most used verbs.
Old 20th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I'll 2nd what he said, Ebony gets used on every session here, it's just too fast to dial in and sounds superb, it is my go to snare plugin.
Thanks Will and sameoh. Will stick with ebony for the time being.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

L-Buss is out!

Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
L-Buss is out!

Anyone given it a try yet? I already have 3 or 4 software emulations (UAD legacy, AA SAND, Slate FG Grey, probably an NI thing IIRC etc) as well as a hardware SSL, so this thing would have to be rather special for me to spend the money. If it works better than the other emulations I have, however, I might want to use it out of convenience here and there. So far nothing has come close enough to the hardware unit, though, so I'm getting a little jaded and cynical buying all these software emus.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Anyone given it a try yet? I already have 3 or 4 software emulations (UAD legacy, AA SAND, Slate FG Grey, probably an NI thing IIRC etc) as well as a hardware SSL, so this thing would have to be rather special for me to spend the money. If it works better than the other emulations I have, however, I might want to use it out of convenience here and there. So far nothing has come close enough to the hardware unit, though, so I'm getting a little jaded and cynical buying all these software emus.
I think you have too much SSL Bus Comps.

Well, spending the first minutes with it, and it grabs like it should. I have to investigate a bit more about the tone, but looks like a great contender.

Remember that this could be an older device than what you have, so, they might be different.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heh, I'm not going to argue with you about that.

Quote:

Well, spending the first minutes with it, and it grabs like it should. I have to investigate a bit more about the tone, but looks like a great contender.

Remember that this could be an older device than what you have, so, they might be different.
Cool. Don't be too surprised if I end up buying it. I like Tim's stuff a lot, and also have some kind of disease that makes me buy plugins and software stuff I don't really need, especially if the price is "right."

Besides, I'm kinda curious to know just how good this thing is.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Besides, I'm kinda curious to know just how good this thing is.
Yes, please. First impresions!!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

the SSL bus comp and the 1176 are by far the most covered area in vintage plugin emulations.. no offense to any developer out there, but they're gonna have to start offering Christmas presents to even demo the damn things
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
I'm reading lots of praise for TimP's comps so what are the drawbacks of the AlexB comps? What is missing aside from the skins that cause the TimP comps to stand out. Most specifically the Xpressor comp I would like to use on the mixbus, drum bus, and vocals. I've used the demo version and love the sheen it adds.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
The 2 Tims stand head and shoulders above everyone else in compressor emulation. Even above AA IME, good as they are. And these 3 smack the pants of any algo IMO.

Alex B and Henry have comp vibe but not the action so much.

Gonna try Tim P's new 4000, which I fully expect to fall victim to and leave my Sand 9000 behind.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
... Gonna try Tim P's new 4000, which I fully expect to fall victim to and leave my Sand 9000 behind.
With coupon code L-Buss it's only £20 now!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
I'm reading lots of praise for TimP's comps so what are the drawbacks of the AlexB comps? What is missing aside from the skins that cause the TimP comps to stand out. Most specifically the Xpressor comp I would like to use on the mixbus, drum bus, and vocals. I've used the demo version and love the sheen it adds.
Although AlexB's programs are among my favorites from the Nebula world I just can't get on with his comps. I've never used the hw of what he's emulating but they just don't seem to behave 'right'. On the 2bus I'll hit them very lightly but they just don't get what I want, usually end up taking them off completely.

Usually I'll just mix into his MFC bus & that will be all it needs.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The 2 Tims stand head and shoulders above everyone else in compressor emulation. Even above AA IME, good as they are. And these 3 smack the pants of any algo IMO.

Alex B and Henry have comp vibe but not the action so much.

Gonna try Tim P's new 4000, which I fully expect to fall victim to and leave my Sand 9000 behind.
100% Personally i think Tim C's compressors are so underrated.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
So agree! A*I is my favorite so I have a bias toward Cup's 'lunchpail', but I always have to shout out for Tim C like he's in the shadows. And this is not to take away from Tim P's outstanding work. They both deserve recognition.
Old 20th October 2017
Gear Head

I was lucky enough to get the beta of L-Bus Compressor. Used it on mix of my whole album. It really gives the feeling of SSL quad compressor. It grabs, holds but gets out of the way and you're wondering if it's working or not. That I remember from using one on SSL console.No matter what you throw at it..it get's the job done. Tim is doing something very right here. The feel, the action, the weight...it's all here. Very powerful release. The Pre after compressor is just ideal for adding hair of colour...just a touch. I recommend trying it....and I have most of SSL ITB options. Skins are icing on the cake.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So agree! A*I is my favorite so I have a bias toward Cup's 'lunchpail', but I always have to shout out for Tim C like he's in the shadows. And this is not to take away from Tim P's outstanding work. They both deserve recognition.
Couldn't find A*I on his website - care to link a brother up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemusic View Post
Usually I'll just mix into his MFC bus & that will be all it needs.
MFC + mixbus = win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Reverberate 2 yes, Seventh Heaven no...... I've honestly stopped getting new verbs as I have everything more than covered.
I find Ebony/N4 too CPU intensive for mixing/production, need a lighter alternative!

Quote:
Yes. It is lovely. One of my most used verbs.
Cheers, will give it a pop!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Couldn't find A*I on his website - care to link a brother up?
Here you go Bro!

LunchPail Compressor | Cupwise FX

Skin is N4 only. If you're on N3 you'll need to use default skin. Tim did say a while back JPN was on the case but nothing yet. Don't let that put you off though, it's still workable.
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
... It can make drums close mics punchy. My use is with bass drums. It just brings the nicest kick I can ITB. ... And Lunchpail has a pretty good sweet spot, you can shape the transients for your taste. Normally I use the 50/50 hard knee preset.

That's it. My go to for bass drum. More or less punchy, but always beautiful.
Alright! Fine! I'll buy it!!!

Last edited by wjmwpg; 21st October 2017 at 02:14 AM..
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Alright, I finally picked up Opto3a, and you guys are totally right .... Beyond amazing on drums. Crushed some live drum tracks and it just adds this wonderful weight. So then I had a bass guitar track that had already been compressed some but still needed a bit of taming, and I thought, Let's see how it does here. I'd say it's equally amazing .... Beautiful compression while again imparting this weight. Put the pre on after and dialed in the drive setting and have a great bass sound.

After this, I thought I'd give it the call for vocal duties and it's also shined. Really nice, smooth sound. I can't really ask for more for a vocal compressor. So thus far it's turning out to be an unbelievably versatile compressor with this lovely weight and natural sound that I imagine people are talking about when they talk about the magic of hardware (but I can't say because I've never had the privilege of working with high end hardware).
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear
Alright! Fine! I'll buy it!!!
Old 21st October 2017
Gear Head

Hi, I just bought nebula so I read this whole thread. I think I get the gist of must haves, Ho Ayce, alexb MFC and MMEQ, vnxt 140(anythign else), cupwise bx20, and timp compressors and epecially his surge EQ. am I missing anything that are must haves? Are there any pultec libraries that are as good as the acustica purple bundle which I really like. How does TIMP dualtech compare to purple? Also is there any nebula alternatives to Acustica GOLD, which I love? Oh yeah and is the commercial library really not installing at all? there is nothing good in there? Ok thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search