The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Opinions on MFC vs MLC? Both are on the cleaner side i guess.
MFC is the flagship for a reason,i've got a few consoles,but almost always use MFC ,I mean if you can't get ANY genre to sound good on a million dollar console then re-write and re-record.

Then again,i'm a producer,so i never try to get stuff to sound like other records,so i'd write and record/mix a folk track on a 9000k,i don't give a s**T.

It's the only way we get new sounds and progressive music,by not simply repeating the past ,or limiting yourself.
Old 18th September 2017
Jus
Lives for gear

I've been trying to use others (Neo, 4KC, Neve..) but I seem to end up mostly with MFC. Perhaps due to its stereo field. I don't find it particularly "clean", though. Perhaps it's just my ears but I sometimes try to turn to other consoles because MFC is not always clean IMHO.

I also may use a Lime preamp (busB, I recall) after it to polish things a little bit.
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I've been trying to use others (Neo, 4KC, Neve..) but I seem to end up mostly with MFC. Perhaps due to its stereo field. I don't find it particularly "clean", though. Perhaps it's just my ears but I sometimes try to turn to other consoles because MFC is not always clean IMHO.

I also may use a Lime preamp (busB, I recall) after it to polish things a little bit.
Yep not very clean true,MLC is supposed to be super clean,but the width,depth and slight glue of the MFC is a winner.It also contributes to your unique sound if you have a primary go to desk.

Also if you're using the desk for color maybe using cleaner eq and compression in the mix could balance stuff out a bit.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Additional point .... going for 'clean-er'.

Mind your LEVELs going into a Nebula preset. note: -18dB = 0 VU

To further ... sometimes 'pushing' levels gets that nice saturation sound [easy to push to want more]. But when combining all tracks,
everything can sound to saturated [not clean].

A proven strategy is CONTRAST. If a particular track [instrument] 'needs' that color, allow other tracks to stay cleaner to allow the 'effected' track a point of [cleaner] reference.
It's called selective character. It also works in reverse. A 'focus' track of attention can go cleaner to stand out from a more saturated/harmonics mix surrounding.

All in all ... INPUT LEVELs to Nebula/ACQUA have a dynamic reaction. If tracking [at least 24-bit], there is plenty of headroom, S/N available.

2. Many Nebula presets come with a 'clean' version. If running a full Console, often times the clean EQ preset is most often the better choice. Sure, you can
use a 'full' preset when needing extra color/harmonics.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Are there any other great options for vocal reverb beyond VNXT and Ebony? Those two are amazing, but I'm looking for some other flavours aside from plates. I have some convolution verbs but wondering if anything in Nebula land is a better option.
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Are there any other great options for vocal reverb beyond VNXT and Ebony? Those two are amazing, but I'm looking for some other flavours aside from plates. I have some convolution verbs but wondering if anything in Nebula land is a better option.
Cupwise has some very cool options (no Nebula library would be complete without a few of these), but nothing that ventures into algorithmic territory. Analog In The Box has the E.A.R reverbs, which seem to have very positive reviews, but I haven't personally heard them.
Old 11th October 2017
Quote:
I agree and I used to own an EMT Gold Plate that got very little use because in many cases it was too much and a bit metallic. I think it was because the increased quality of the digital reverbs with some more subtle sounds, was a better fit for the type of pop music I was recording. My ears just prefer reverbs, be it hardware or plugin, that lean toward the Lexicon and Quantec sound.

There are, of course, lots of great plugin reverbs that fit the bill outside the Nebula world. I own the VNXT and Waves Abbey Road but rarely use either. Just a matter of taste.

We're talking industry standards with the EMT plates but most of the studios I worked in used hi/low pass filters on them to lessen these overwhelming effects.
Old 11th October 2017
Old 11th October 2017
Lives for gear
Tim Petherick also has some very nice reverb libraries.

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downl...egory/reverbs/
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Tim Petherick also has some very nice reverb libraries.

https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downl...egory/reverbs/
"The great spring" was really a big surprise for me. It is really cheap (5 euros or so...) and it blends with the vocal/instrument very well. It's a spring, but very smooth, without that typical metallic resonance.
Cupwise BeeX20 has a great sound, too, but is very heavy on CPU.
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

I thought I replied to this thread earlier on my phone but I guess it didn't submit.

Thanks for the responses. Those spring reverbs sound tasty. I've planned to get the EAR reverb sets for a while now to mainly use on drums, but it makes sense to experiment with them on vocals. TimP's offerings are insanely inexpensive. It makes sense to get the tea room and the great spring at least.
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Roomhunters "Theater of life" rooms are free for a long time. I've downloaded them but not tried so far. I think you can still download them from here (last post on the page contains the link):

https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB...28046&start=30
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

I love that sum 100 v2 N4 skin JPN did for Tim P. I hope that shows up and surprises me one of these days. Vari level skin is also killer. U76 and Opto 3A are all over everything these days. Top notch.
Old 16th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I love that sum 100 v2 N4 skin JPN did for Tim P. I hope that shows up and surprises me one of these days. Vari level skin is also killer. U76 and Opto 3A are all over everything these days. Top notch.
New Tim P bus comp currently in beta too...

Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah.

Might come out this week.

This you'll be the G-comp to beat? I wouldn't be surprised.

The thing is, I'm not that crazy about the SSL bus compressor. That glassy, super controlled sound, is not what I'm after most of the times. A lot of times is a bit boring to me. But the hardware has something that no plugin was able to capture. A unique tone.

Let's see how this one goes.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Really—really—late to the party here, but how good are HO's Titan V2 preamps!

Mix those babies in parallel for some seriously good sound (only tried it for vocals so far).

Not even touched the surface yet either (drums, leads etc).

Any HO gurus have some top picks/uses from the Titan?
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post

Mix those babies in parallel for some seriously good sound (only tried it for vocals so far).

Not even touched the surface yet either (drums, leads etc).

Any HO gurus have some top picks/uses from the Titan?
TBH HO's all you can eat bundle can cover all your needs..amazing sound even in conjunction with algo comps/eqs.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love the Titan 2 hi preamp, listen to how it rolls off the low end naturally.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Tim's new L Bus is sweet and sure to be a popular bus comp for ITB audio, the HP and Wet/Dry feature give good control to the plug and the N4 skin is easy to use. I'm also hoping it opens Tim up to doing more bus comps for Nebula.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-l-bus.jpg  
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I love the Titan 2 hi preamp, listen to how it rolls off the low end naturally.
It was your voice I heard in my head that made me realise I hadn't even installed it properly (and hence not listed under library) :¬)

I'll give that preamp a pop.

Can't wait to try L-Bus!
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Another thumbs up for the HO Titan V2.

So is the new Tim P L-bus an S*L? Just ignore if you can't say. I still haven't gotten Tim's 76 and Opto updates yet because money for gear has been super tight lately, but I think I just need to purchase them anyway because the reviews are too good not to (the prices are great anyway). I'm hoping this new bus comp is on the same level. I still just don't have a go-to ITB bus compressor; nothing I've tried yet has totally wowed me or made me think "I need to put that on most of my mixes." But I have high hopes and trust in Tim P. (There are a few in Nebula/AA world that I do think are really good though. Still looking for a Neve 33609-style .... Maybe I'll just buy Gold.)
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Another thumbs up for the HO Titan V2.

So is the new Tim P L-bus an S*L? Just ignore if you can't say. I still haven't gotten Tim's 76 and Opto updates yet because money for gear has been super tight lately, but I think I just need to purchase them anyway because the reviews are too good not to (the prices are great anyway). I'm hoping this new bus comp is on the same level. I still just don't have a go-to ITB bus compressor; nothing I've tried yet has totally wowed me or made me think "I need to put that on most of my mixes." But I have high hopes and trust in Tim P. (There are a few in Nebula/AA world that I do think are really good though. Still looking for a Neve 33609-style .... Maybe I'll just buy Gold.)
Well........ L Bus is very nice, it will be my main drum bus comp moving forward, but I use the SSL mostly for the glue effect, 2:1 or 4:1, slowest attack, fastest release with 2-4 db reduction. That is always the problem with bus comps, ya just don't use too much of it, so it's all about the glue and color they provide. Tim as always delivered IMHO, it's on the DBX dirtier side too, so my guess would be he sampled a G384 or an actual 4K E desk for L Bus.

Now as to Tim's U76 and Opto 3A..... I'm using them everywhere as channel comps and could not be happier, a little or a lot they are smoking the competition for me. I've been using Sum 100a and Vair Level on vocals with stellar results and his new Blue Mu v2 is another nice comp many will love.

Tim has me in N4 so much with all the new skins and updates, I'm hoping Cupwise and Alex B get with the future and get us N4 skins too. It makes working with Nebula so much easier for me I can't go back now.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well........ L Bus is very nice, it will be my main drum bus comp moving forward, but I use the SSL mostly for the glue effect, 2:1 or 4:1, slowest attack, fastest release with 2-4 db reduction. That is always the problem with bus comps, ya just don't use too much of it, so it's all about the glue and color they provide. Tim as always delivered IMHO, it's on the DBX dirtier side too, so my guess would be he sampled a G384 or an actual 4K E desk for L Bus.

Now as to Tim's U76 and Opto 3A..... I'm using them everywhere as channel comps and could not be happier, a little or a lot they are smoking the competition for me. I've been using Sum 100a and Vair Level on vocals with stellar results and his new Blue Mu v2 is another nice comp many will love.

Tim has me in N4 so much with all the new skins and updates, I'm hoping Cupwise and Alex B get with the future and get us N4 skins too. It makes working with Nebula so much easier for me I can't go back now.
Cool. I saw one of your posts as well on the Tim P news thread on the AA forum, and I'm convinced. I think I'll grab L-bus, U76, and Opto 3A and not look back. With these three styles at this level of quality, at least 95% of my compression needs will be met.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. I saw one of your posts as well on the Tim P news thread on the AA forum, and I'm convinced. I think I'll grab L-bus, U76, and Opto 3A and not look back. With these three styles at this level of quality, at least 95% of my compression needs will be met.
If I could only have 3 Tim P comps it would be Vari Level for vocals, Opto 3A for general compression and L Bus for busses. I do jump between Opto 3A and U76 a lot and Sum 100a and Vari level a lot depending on the tone, but with just 3 Tim P comps I could mix anything. I've also stopped looking for ITB compressors as I feel I have it more than covered.

As always to each their own.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I could only have 3 Tim P comps it would be Vari Level for vocals, Opto 3A for general compression and L Bus for busses. I do jump between Opto 3A and U76 a lot and Sum 100a and Vari level a lot depending on the tone, but with just 3 Tim P comps I could mix anything. I've also stopped looking for ITB compressors as I feel I have it more than covered.

As always to each their own.
Have to agree, the more I've played with N4, the more I love Vari Level (vocals), Opto 3A (vocals/anything) and U76 (anything). All bases covered. It's the skins that have me using them again. Night and day difference in usability.

Saying that, I just spent the last 2 hours comparing Opto 3A with Opto mode in FG-Stress (vocals only). It's close. Really close. Indistinguishable in a mix when other elements come into play. I feel like Opto 3A may have a slight edge in organic smoothness, but I may be imagining it. Probably have a bit of listening fatigue at the moment, been listening to the same loop! Not optimal, but it was perfect to test clamping while retaining shape, structure and tone.

Considering the CPU efficiency, I can see myself using Stress a lot. It's also great in it's normal mode. A tooklit for sure. You could literally mix everything with it if need be (bar the mixbus).

YMMV etc. Happy days for ITB mixers!
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have to agree, the more I've played with N4, the more I love Vari Level (vocals), Opto 3A (vocals/anything) and U76 (anything). All bases covered. It's the skins that have me using them again. Night and day difference in usability.

Saying that, I just spent the last 2 hours comparing Opto 3A with Opto mode in FG-Stress (vocals only). It's close. Really close. Indistinguishable in a mix when other elements come into play. I feel like Opto 3A may have a slight edge in organic smoothness, but I may be imagining it. Probably have a bit of listening fatigue at the moment, been listening to the same loop! Not optimal, but it was perfect to test clamping while retaining shape, structure and tone.

Considering the CPU efficiency, I can see myself using Stress a lot. It's also great in it's normal mode. A tooklit for sure. You could literally mix everything with it if need be (bar the mixbus).

YMMV etc. Happy days for ITB mixers!
Hmmm ... I still haven't used skins yet, and I do have quite a few TimP libraries (Blue 1102, vari-level, surge, both tapes, CADPAN, etc.). I'm thinking I should really get around to it ....
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmm ... I still haven't used skins yet, and I do have quite a few TimP libraries (Blue 1102, vari-level, surge, both tapes, CADPAN, etc.). I'm thinking I should really get around to it ....
Try it, you won't go back (comps) :¬)

I still prefer AA for EQ's.
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Try it, you won't go back (comps) :¬)

I still prefer AA for EQ's.
Sorry to be a bother but I just can't figure out how to get the skins to load (I've looked over the N4 manual and forum threads too). There's no skin option displayed on the MAST page in N4. Do I need to update N4? I purchased and installed it back in February, IIRC.

Edit: I guess I have to reinstall the libraries that now have skins.

Last edited by rosewood123; 17th October 2017 at 01:12 AM..
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry to be a bother but I just can't figure out how to get the skins to load (I've looked over the N4 manual and forum threads too). There's no skin option displayed on the MAST page in N4. Do I need to update N4? I purchased and installed it back in February, IIRC.

Look in your x:\Nebula4TempRepository\Skins
Old 17th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mac or PC?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search