The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Yes but I find all the EQs in Nebula share a common "analog" sounding top end. Noble Q does not, it sticks out like a sore thumb when you boost the top end. Along with harmonic distortion that doesn't sound all that pleasing to me. Just sounds flat
Well I'm not going to argue against the point that Nebula sounds best - obviously heh. I just don't think that Noble is "craptastic". That may be a bit exaggerated as many other users Nebula and non Nebula alike who know their "stuff" confirm that Noble is not bad at all. If the distortion is not for you or you can't find it usable in any way, so be it.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
Well I'm not going to argue against the point that Nebula sounds best - obviously heh. I just don't think that Noble is "craptastic". That may be a bit exaggerated as many other users Nebula and non Nebula alike who know their "stuff" confirm that Noble is not bad at all. If the distortion is not for you or you can't find it usable in any way, so be it.
exactly! same for other psp eq's like the squad (which sound even more interesting to me than nobleQ) btw: your culture vulture is another must have!
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

My suggestions, no specific order:

EQ:
AlexB CLeQ (general purpose)
CDSoundMaster Focal Point 115HD (general purpose)
Analog In The Box Doc Fear (top end)
AlexB VBeQ (low end)
AlexB Vintage PoolTeQ (mid/top range)
CDSoundMaster W295B (top end)
CDSoundMaster Q8 (low pass filter for vocal group)
TranscendingMusic Xfomer Verda (kick's God)

Tape
CDSoundMaster R2R (I couldn't care less if it sounds like tape, it's the best thing to get a great tonal balance)
Rhythminmind NAG TApe (nice tone shaper, thick and bold)

Compressor:
TranscendingMusic Draw Her (most versatile comp for Nebula)
AlexB 4KD (it's more about character here, I don't really use it for compression)

Preamp:
AlexB PCS (nice tone shaper)
AlexB MTP (my favorite preamp library)
CDSoundMaster Focal Point 115HD (good for "muddy" sources)

Magic:
TranscendingMusic MySonMax (most "exciters" in DSP sound like crap compared to this, must-have for mastering in my opinion)
CDSoundMaster TubeBooster (the closest thing to tubes I've heard coming out of a computer, impressive)

My opinions are based on tonal balancing, which is the main reason why I use Nebula.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Tubebooster? Gonna have to check it out, if it's like Tapebooster
Can't see it on CDSM's site?

Or do you mean Tube bender?
See if it can sound like my Paia Tubehead overdriving and compressing, that's something that I haven't been able to get from Nebula so far
Although I could try sampling my Paia Tubehead

Not the best comparison - but this will show you how coloured the MBC is on dance material. It adds a lot of bottom end roundness that makes the mix sound huge!
Not always a good thing though, especially if you add in 15ips tape...

MLC on the other hand adds a little more air, glue, punch, 3D, but doesn't go overboard.
Good if you want to keep the original tone, but add some extra mojo. Like if you already using a lot of analog synths and drum machines etc
It's probably the most neutral of all the consoles.
On a more Stereo mix it's more obvious, but there are more staturated programs in MLC that have a more obvious sound.
Doesn't have the grit of CLC though, but it retains more lower mids compared to CLC

Original
909_Original.mp3
MLC
909_MLC.mp3
MBC
http://199.91.152.151/72iy7yq2z1hg/r...z0/909_MBC.mp3
Attached Files

909_Original.mp3 (320.5 KB, 905 views)

909_MLC.mp3 (320.5 KB, 1039 views)

909_MBC.mp3 (320.5 KB, 837 views)

Old 10th October 2011
Gear Nut

A little OT, but I came across this a couple days ago, and thought some might be interested - Nebula with Reaper:

• View topic - Nebula FX Chains for REAPER !! Quick and Easy.

Posted there by Mercado_Negro, created by ngarjuna.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtownsend View Post
A little OT, but I came across this a couple days ago, and thought some might be interested - Nebula with Reaper:

• View topic - Nebula FX Chains for REAPER !! Quick and Easy.

Posted there by Mercado_Negro, created by ngarjuna.
Thanks! I'll update that with the newest releases soon...

FYI, I created 98% of those chains, ngarjuna kindly added 2 CDSoundMaster consoles I didn't have back then
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
FYI, I created 98% of those chains, ngarjuna kindly added 2 CDSoundMaster consoles I didn't have back then
Whoops! Didn't mean to transfer credit to someone else. Thanks so much for doing this.
Old 26th October 2011
OwnHammer cabs programs are really a must have in my opinion, I've been trying many impulses for cabs but these sound much better to my ears.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear
Still waiting for someone to sample a Roland Dimension D for Nebula. Should be easy to do and would find many friends in Nebuland
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

whats a great nebula program to use on mixbus for tone and warmth?

Is there a nebula 3rd party preset that would work well to warm up the mixbus? Or are they usually too heavy handed? Im looking at tone more than compression, something that would sweeten up the effect i get from the uad ampex that im using on the mixbus.
Old 25th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopan View Post
Is there a nebula 3rd party preset that would work well to warm up the mixbus? Or are they usually too heavy handed? Im looking at tone more than compression, something that would sweeten up the effect i get from the uad ampex that im using on the mixbus.
You need cuttertone

/Jon
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Cuttertone, looks cool, not a nebula preset. Only 20 dollars, Does this effect the tone? Im not sure what it does, change stereo image?
Old 25th January 2012
Quote:
Cuttertone, looks cool, not a nebula preset. Only 20 dollars, Does this effect the tone? Im not sure what it does, change stereo image?
I'm well aware that it's not a nebula preset Cuttertone is a kind of high freq limiter. Works really well to tame the harsh highs without making it dull. Highly recommended!

/Jon
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Nebula must have support for Lion.
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllet View Post
I'm well aware that it's not a nebula preset Cuttertone is a kind of high freq limiter. Works really well to tame the harsh highs without making it dull. Highly recommended!

/Jon
Awesome, ill def check it out. Thanks for the input
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
AlexB preamp color suite would give you a variety of options
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry View Post
AlexB preamp color suite would give you a variety of options
As option for sure. I use AlexB CLC MBM (Mix Bus Modern) to sweeten up and warm up my mixes.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Nebula (64-bit only?) site says Pro version is OK with Windows XP and host dependent (Cubase SX3 in my case). Is that gonna run OK on my system?

Looks like a great deal as long as it works OK............
Old 25th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Nebula (64-bit only?) site says Pro version is OK with Windows XP and host dependent (Cubase SX3 in my case). Is that gonna run OK on my system?

Looks like a great deal as long as it works OK............
Its not 64-bit only for sure)) and Pro is ok with XP or higher. My Cubase 5 and Nebula Pro are friends completely)
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just about everything

From the consoles, preamps, tapes and even the EQs set flat....

experiment
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Is anyone using the pro version on a Mac running Lion? Gonna' buy a new Macbook Pro soon and wanna' be able to use the VST plug with Cubase.

Or, if that doesn't work, has anyone successfully rolled back their OS to Snow Leopard on the newer Macbooks that come with Lion pre-installed?

EDIT 8-11-12: Just wanted to update that I ended up buying a Macbook Pro with Lion preinstalled. So, I requested a new Nebula auth file, installed Neb, installed my third-party libs... and everything seems to work.

Last edited by junior; 11th August 2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Addict
every1's still happy with the nebula stuff compared to the UAD stuff? i'm still contemplating between uad and nebula and i'l leaning a little to nebula as their stuff is so much cost efficient than the UAD cards.. but i wouldnt want to sacrifice the quality too, i saw the recommendations on the first page and they all will sum-up like $550 only, where as a UAD duo only is $900 lol

everybody so far has been crazy with nebula's OTB sounds and how they compare to hardware and out-perform UAD's by miles specially on reverbs (emt140 VNXT), yet i need some1 to share his experiences with it, so im bumping an 8 months post :D
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear
It is very simple in terms of soundquality:

1. Analog
2. Nebula
3. UAD and other plugins

The problems with Nebula are:
- high cpu usage
- one instance per band (eq)
- compression color is top but the transients behaviour is still not where it should be

that is my personal opinion ...
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
It is very simple in terms of soundquality:

1. Analog
2. Nebula
3. UAD and other plugins

The problems with Nebula are:
- high cpu usage
- one instance per band (eq)
- compression color is top but the transients behaviour is still not where it should be

that is my personal opinion ...

so definitely nebula out-performs UAD in your perspective.. i hope you are a UAD user and thats how you built your theory based on

my PC is pretty powerful its i7 3820 3.6 ghz with 32gb of ram so may be it can handle nebula with lots of instances well ?

ok thats worrying, how come only 1 instance per EQ?

yea iv read that nebula's compressors are not top quality yet as well..
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear
Yeah long time UAD user here ...
When using Nebula EQs you usually load just one band (e.g.bass) per instance.
If you want to eq three bands you have to run tree instances of Nebula and load each band seperatly.
Is this practical ? No.
Does is sound better than all other plugins ? Yes.

With you PC you should get along pretty well with Nebula.

Nebula is only as good as the programs you load into it. So you should try the 3rd party stuff.

Compressors are great for coloring even without the use of compression ...
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Yeah long time UAD user here ...
When using Nebula EQs you usually load just one band (e.g.bass) per instance.
If you want to eq three bands you have to run tree instances of Nebula and load each band seperatly.
Is this practical ? No.
Does is sound better than all other plugins ? Yes.

With you PC you should get along pretty well with Nebula.

Nebula is only as good as the programs you load into it. So you should try the 3rd party stuff.

Compressors are great for coloring even without the use of compression ...
Ditto to pretty much all of the above. The only thing I'd add is that there are a few EQs that include combo presets that'll give you more than one band per instance. I think Analog In The Box EQs have these presets and maybe some others.

BTW, I got rid of my UAD cards a while back and replaced them with a combo of Nebula and a few other plugs - glad I did. As long as you have a nice fast machine, you should be in pretty good shape.
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Addict
2nd call for nebula over UAD ^
Old 11th August 2012
Lives for gear

I like Nebula, but if you use a lot of instances it gets too CPU intensive. It's something they should work at.
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d View Post
I like Nebula, but if you use a lot of instances it gets too CPU intensive. It's something they should work at.
can we avoid this by putting some of the load on a graphic card?
Old 11th August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fito_88 View Post
can we avoid this by putting some of the load on a graphic card?
You mean the CUDA mode? As far as i know, it only works with programs with one kernel only, what does it mean? Check their FAQ for further information.

About the EQ, somebody on their forum is working on a way to load the 7 instances of CLeQ from Alexb (SSL 4000 Eq) in one GUI so you can have it like all other EQ plugins, which is an exciting new development. He will make some other versions with another combination as well, like preamp+tape+console.
Take a look here
• View topic - VST plugin - CLeq User interface Alpha testers wanted

I've decided to go with nebula a couple of weeks ago, and i have to say, it was the best investment I've ever made. I don't have UAD, but i can say nebula is the best thing I've ever heard in digital world.

There was a shootout thread recently between OTB, and all kind of ITB plugins included nebula, Slate, and waves, and it was quite revealing. Unfortunately it's been deleted for some unknown reasons. If you're interested, PM me.

The other thing with nebula is, the library makers are very active and keep releasing awesome stuffs almost every week with no brainer prices, beginning from 3$.

With your 6 core cpu you can handle nebula for mixing purposes quite easily.
One good tip is though to run all your stems once through a good preamp-tape-console chain and then do the mixing afterwords. That way you can save alot of CPU power for further process.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search