The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2041
Gear Head
 

Hi, I am still on Neb3 so can't test myself but I am wondering. Instead of waiting for setups people are not using Bluecats patchwork.
Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2042
Gear Maniac
 

I'll wait for setups to make transition. Without that, it is just a step back for me.
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2043
Gear Head
 

ok thanks. I should rephrase my question.
Is there some technical reason why Bluecats patchwork can't be used in N4?
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2044
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moge View Post
ok thanks. I should rephrase my question.
Is there some technical reason why Bluecats patchwork can't be used in N4?
I am currently using Patchwork with N4. It works and it is useful, but it is not the same thing of N4 setups. Most of all, with "setups" you will greatly reduce the loading time of a library: At this moment N4 performs a quick rescan of all the libraries in the database each time you load a N4 instance. With 'setups' you can limit the number of libraries of an instance (just a single library, if you decide so). Then you can continue to use patchwork to chain different libraries (i.e. to build a custom channel strip), but it will be more fast and efficient.
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2045
Lives for gear
 
Avgatzeblouz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertom View Post
I am currently using Patchwork with N4. It works and it is useful, but it is not the same thing of N4 setups. Most of all, with "setups" you will greatly reduce the loading time of a library: At this moment N4 performs a quick rescan of all the libraries in the database each time you load a N4 instance. With 'setups' you can limit the number of libraries of an instance (just a single library, if you decide so). Then you can continue to use patchwork to chain different libraries (i.e. to build a custom channel strip), but it will be more fast and efficient.
And, with setups, you can tweak the XML according to the developper advice only for a specific library, not the whole Nebula things you own.
Old 2nd September 2017
  #2046
Lives for gear
 
wjmwpg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
And, with setups, you can tweak the XML according to the developper advice only for a specific library, not the whole Nebula things you own.
Right. I've never used/owned N3, but I can see how that would be a huge plus. It is one of the drawbacks I'm finding clunky with N4.
Old 7th September 2017
  #2047
Lives for gear
 

Anyone using CDsoundmaster consoles? I have a few AlexB consoles, but I'd really like to simulate a Trid*** A-Range and am wondering what people think about Tride-N-Tru.

Edit: I went through some threads and found that people indeed like the CDSM consoles. But if anyone has anything they'd like to share, please do!

Last edited by rosewood123; 7th September 2017 at 09:04 PM..
Old 7th September 2017
  #2048
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
Right. I've never used/owned N3, but I can see how that would be a huge plus. It is one of the drawbacks I'm finding clunky with N4.
Yes we need setups for N4, but the presets work very well today making N4 superior to N3, outside of setups IMHO.
Old 7th September 2017
  #2049
Gear Addict
 

Anyone running on reaper? There's a third party script called lbx stripper. Perfect for N4 users..build your own channel strips and add your own buttons, graphics etc. Drag and drop functionality. Macros and snapshots. Too much to list.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182233
Old 7th September 2017
  #2050
Lives for gear
 
drezz's Avatar
I've moved over completely now to N4 for the same reason. Has the edge in sonics..........It's a shame to lose the set-ups for certain libs, but most of my N4 stuff consists of Tim P stuff these days, and there are quite a few skins coming now for his stuff (thank you JPN), so it's working out.

Looking forward to the set-ups feature for N4 for sure..............
Old 8th September 2017
  #2051
Lives for gear
 
wjmwpg's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
Anyone running on reaper? There's a third party script called lbx stripper. Perfect for N4 users..build your own channel strips and add your own buttons, graphics etc. Drag and drop functionality. Macros and snapshots. Too much to list.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=182233
Old 8th September 2017
  #2052
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
Anyone running on reaper? There's a third party script called lbx stripper. Perfect for N4 users..build your own channel strips
Got it opened and stumbled around for a few minutes. Gotta check this tomorrow it looks very interesting.
Old 8th September 2017
  #2053
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Got it opened and stumbled around for a few minutes. Gotta check this tomorrow it looks very interesting.
Glad to hear it. There's a ton of youtube stuff showing you how it works. Once you get used to how the tool menus interact it's a breeze.
Old 8th September 2017
  #2054
Gear Addict
 

Building Timp - Surge in Reaper's LBX Stripper Script



Link for full size: https://i.imgur.com/BnswR8T.gif

Last edited by Tod Slaughter; 8th September 2017 at 10:54 AM..
Old 17th September 2017
  #2055
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
I'm demoing nebula at the moment, I'd like to buy but only to use 3rd party libraries, and as I'm not totally convinced by the workflow (and don't need the bundled library) I'm not willing to spend 239 on the full N4. Is there any purchase option that would suit me? I've seen talk of N4 lite but have no idea when this might appear, the only other cheaper option is nebula 3 server but I can't see if it's possible to up/crossgrade to N4 lite from that when it appears, and don't know what the performance of 3 would be like on my i7 2600k...
I answered here as this is a Nebula thread where you'll get Nebula answers.

N3 is very close to N4 as the library determines the CPU hit. Who knows if N4 lite will ever surface so I would not place energy into software that is not out or announced as a reality, so as of today think of N4 Lite as vaporware.

I'm currently running N3 and N4, and making the transition to full N4. If N4 did not fit your workflow N3 is a bit tougher to incorporate as it is now 8 years old.

I might suggest you demo the Acqua plugins if N4 is not to your workflow requirements.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2056
Lives for gear
 

If I can add/help.

Most likely, Nebula-3 will cease.

That leaves 2 basic platforms: N-4 and ACQUA.

Setting aside library 'quality', the first consideration are the different workflows that these 2 platforms yield. That is a personal decision.

If looking for 'others' opinions/experience ? Well ... I use both formats. Having many years with NEBULA [along with a massive library collection], I am
accustom to the single instance for each process [be it a single EQ band, a Preamp, tape, or compressor]. In my mastering scenario, it is very workable.

Acqua's are like a complete hardware unit. i.e.: all EQ bands/controls are accessed from a single GUI interface. Basically ... it is a bunch of N-4's, packaged as one. [but optimized].

Each platform has strengths ... and a weakness [i suppose].

To the newcomer ... it should be considered that these latest ACQUA's have been noticeably improved. Many of the earlier releases are/have/or will be updated [free updates [so far]]. There are plenty of User comments to reference, but I find a handful of specific ACQUA's are 1st call plugins, meaning, I don't have to call on N-4 to do everything.

Saying that .... there are things that the 'piecemeal' approach that N-4 offers is STILL an excellent option to have. The shear depth/variety of the 3rd party LIBRARIES make N-4 indispensable. Add to that ... many of these libraries have also gone through updates themselves.

If one is looking to 'just get the work done' quickly, with a hardware vibe ... clearly the ACQUA format would be first choice.

If you want to also get into the minutia of custom sonic tools ... mix and match kinda thing, or just selectively build a custom process .... then N-4 lets you build
your own unique signal chain.

The mantra ... which we'll probably have T-Shirts for ..... 'DEMO the TRIALS'. This is much more effective with the ACQUA's. The N-4 free/trial usually cannot load any of the 3rd party commercial libraries. Nonetheless ... the taste of the sonics can be had .... AND the workflow can be tested.

hope this is of some help.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2057
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I answered here as this is a Nebula thread where you'll get Nebula answers.

N3 is very close to N4 as the library determines the CPU hit. Who knows if N4 lite will ever surface so I would not place energy into software that is not out or announced as a reality, so as of today think of N4 Lite as vaporware.

I'm currently running N3 and N4, and making the transition to full N4. If N4 did not fit your workflow N3 is a bit tougher to incorporate as it is now 8 years old.

I might suggest you demo the Acqua plugins if N4 is not to your workflow requirements.
Thanks Will, the things I'm really interested in are mixing compressors (esp for vocals), console emulation and tape, which I don't think are particularly covered by acqua at the moment. This being the case I suppose my choices are the cheaper but more complex workflow of nebula 3 or the paying more for N4. There's no way of demoing nebula 3 now either is there? It is a bit frustrating not to have a cheaper no-library option but I understand acustica is an unorthodox company from a consumer's POV.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2058
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
Thanks Will, the things I'm really interested in are mixing compressors (esp for vocals), console emulation and tape, which I don't think are particularly covered by acqua at the moment. This being the case I suppose my choices are the cheaper but more complex workflow of nebula 3 or the paying more for N4. There's no way of demoing nebula 3 now either is there? It is a bit frustrating not to have a cheaper no-library option but I understand acustica is an unorthodox company from a consumer's POV.
You could try kvr WTB for a used n3/ n3server. The Tim P compressors alone will tip you over the edge.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2059
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni View Post
Thanks Will, the things I'm really interested in are mixing compressors (esp for vocals), console emulation and tape, which I don't think are particularly covered by acqua at the moment. This being the case I suppose my choices are the cheaper but more complex workflow of nebula 3 or the paying more for N4. There's no way of demoing nebula 3 now either is there? It is a bit frustrating not to have a cheaper no-library option but I understand acustica is an unorthodox company from a consumer's POV.
Dude coming from someone who actually uses both ,including algos,i would say you'd get the most out of N4.

The workflow is atrocious for the time we live in,and as a successor to N3 and cost, it should've come with at least a Nebula setups lite.

But primarily for vocals i think it's great in conjunction with algos.
Forget N3,it's done ,you'd be buying an 8 year old product that they're not going to update or develop anymore.

I'd recommend N4 over aqcua because of the insane choices available.

I pretty much only use 3rd party libraries as they sound better and for the least on par with acqua offerings.The libraries are much cheaper and the compressors are the best in the nebu/aqcuaverse.

Pretty much with nebula get the HenryO all you can eat..it's pretty much free with a donation and it covers literally everything.

The preamps are AMAZING ,Mics,Tape and the Mojo libraries are Amazing
especially in conjunction with algos,so you get the attack and shape from the algo and the sound and harmonics from the mojo library.

Combine that with the Amazing Console offerings from AlexB (as well as top sounding Eq),Tape ,Consoles and Eqs from CDS,and insanely good and yet to beat EQS and Compressors from TimP..also Cupwise has that level of compressors as well.

Timp and Cupwise have the best compressors in the AA world period and it's an unbeatable price.Also Timp's Eqs are also insanely hard to beat bring whatever you want against them.

Aqcuas are great for sound and workflow ,so if you're from an algo background,it's pretty standard.
They are very cpu intensive,so for channel strips forget about using them across a mix,unless you are cool with freezing a lot.
Especially since there are other plugs such as reverb, delay,tone boxes etc that you'd be using in your mix as well.

You'd also need the latest fatest computer and i mean utter latest,to get around that i use mainly N4 with algos, and Logic pro X now has the ability to print the plugin to the tracks within the mix ,across all channels by just selecting whatever you want processed ,one click and done and it's really quick.

Also for the cost of one aqcua,you can get one of the very best sounding EQ,Compressor,Tape,Console,annnnnd the HenryO AYCE which covers pretty much everything thing else,(Mics,pre's tape,mojo,cabinets).

That's after the cost of N4 though,and hopefully in the near future they'll at least allow the multi load libraries ,so N4 can load like an aqcua,supposedly thats to come next year.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2060
Lives for gear
 
Avgatzeblouz's Avatar
I just read this post, and then started a new mix. I then realized I'm only using libraries on vocals as well, with the exception of PrimeComp3. Fun.
Old 17th September 2017
  #2061
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
I just read this post, and then started a new mix. I then realized I'm only using libraries on vocals as well, with the exception of PrimeComp3. Fun.
Same here ,i'm primarily a vocal fx guy makes sense as it's the most important feature in a mix, and the easiest to develop ear fatigue from.

It's usually a print HenryO pre-amp,Mic,and sometimes tape to the vocal using N4, and then BxConsole (E/N) then N4 Compression and if it's not too much then Tape out.
Old 18th September 2017
  #2062
Anyone mixed with and without AlexB consoles on all tracks versus just AlexB Console on the mixbus? Does the sonic difference outweigh the hassle of printing every track in your session through the console?
Old 18th September 2017
  #2063
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Anyone mixed with and without AlexB consoles on all tracks versus just AlexB Console on the mixbus? Does the sonic difference outweigh the hassle of printing every track in your session through the console?
I use a console or pre or both,on each track, pending the sound I get with Nebula EQ's etc. Then render into a mix session, where I use a console on each buss, then one console,ie. Vintage, Modern etc. on the Master buss.
For me they tighten up the sound, like tidying all the ' fluffy' edges up.
" Without", personally I wouldn't dream of it.
Old 18th September 2017
  #2064
Gear Addict
 
reggiejaxx's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Anyone mixed with and without AlexB consoles on all tracks versus just AlexB Console on the mixbus? Does the sonic difference outweigh the hassle of printing every track in your session through the console?
It depends on the console being used, and whether or not you want your mixes to have that console added depth,weight and glue.

Most of the biggest records you've heard go through a console.

I'd suggest if anything wait till the very end of the mix if your daw makes it a pain to print and load, and insert the console pres and line ins at bounce time.

But even if that's too much ,try just printing the main vocal and key instrument/s and use just the console on the group busses.and master.That should be a great compromise in time and sound.

What daw do you use primarily.
Old 18th September 2017
  #2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
It depends on the console being used, and whether or not you want your mixes to have that console added depth,weight and glue.

Most of the biggest records you've heard go through a console.

I'd suggest if anything wait till the very end of the mix if your daw makes it a pain to print and load, and insert the console pres and line ins at bounce time.

But even if that's too much ,try just printing the main vocal and key instrument/s and use just the console on the group busses.and master.That should be a great compromise in time and sound.

What daw do you use primarily.
I am on Pro Tools on Windows. Yes i am a fan of console sounds that i hear on big records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
I use a console or pre or both,on each track, pending the sound I get with Nebula EQ's etc. Then render into a mix session, where I use a console on each buss, then one console,ie. Vintage, Modern etc. on the Master buss.
For me they tighten up the sound, like tidying all the ' fluffy' edges up.
" Without", personally I wouldn't dream of it.
Why do you need to use both Pre and Line in together?
Old 18th September 2017
  #2066
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
I am on Pro Tools on Windows. Yes i am a fan of console sounds that i hear on big records.



Why do you need to use both Pre and Line in together?
I don't use anything religiously, more as I see fit, depends on the sound source.
I use pre's to give a little extra drive and body after comp., EQ or console
module. One or the other alone can be adequate at times.
But, to my main point, after using Alex's consoles for the first time, the change in sound quality was so dramatic that I consider them a must have personally.
Old 18th September 2017
  #2067
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
I don't use anything religiously, more as I see fit, depends on the sound source.
I use pre's to give a little extra drive and body after comp., EQ or console
module. One or the other alone can be adequate at times.
But, to my main point, after using Alex's consoles for the first time, the change in sound quality was so dramatic that I consider them a must have personally.
Speaking of consoles, anyone using his NEO console?
I've got MFC, GMC/SP79 and A16 and am thinking of another flavor. But, I don't quite know what I want. Lately, I've been using the Blue 1102 Line/Pre from TimP
with MFC Modern on the Master bus.

What consoles (if any) do you all prefer for acoustic guitar & vocal and stuff?
Old 18th September 2017
  #2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTW View Post
I don't use anything religiously, more as I see fit, depends on the sound source.
I use pre's to give a little extra drive and body after comp., EQ or console
module. One or the other alone can be adequate at times.
But, to my main point, after using Alex's consoles for the first time, the change in sound quality was so dramatic that I consider them a must have personally.
Which consoles of AlxeB do you use?
Old 18th September 2017
  #2069
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Which consoles of AlxeB do you use?
I use A16, MFC, NEO and MLC.
Old 18th September 2017
  #2070
Opinions on MFC vs MLC? Both are on the cleaner side i guess.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump