The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Just tried it out on some bass. It sounds and reacts awesome. Very, very much like my hw 1176. Will try tomorrow on snare, where the hw can do things that all the emus couldn't. This will be interesting.
Don't forget the U76 is based on the 6176, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the compressor part is slightly different from the 1176.
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I'm very excited about this. Will The Weirdo, let us know your thoughts!
Well......

IMHO it's so close to hardware I would need to side by side compare it to see the differences....... Tim P is on fire and has cracked the Nebula compressor problem, I can reduce 15-20 db on U76 and 3A and it sounds soooooooo damn good, making them my favorite channel comps ITB today.
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Hello,

What are your experience with AlexB N81
Neev 81 SideCar Console ?

Any real modjo and improvment on your mixes ?

Regards

Sergio
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

Regards

Sergio
I've also been interested in that library. It doesn't seem to get talked about much. on AlexB's site, he has audio demos of the consoles, but they don't all use the same songs and tracks. So, I don't really have an idea how I'd benefit from that library. I've already got CdSoundMaster's N-TEN-AT4 (Neve 1084). If you have questions about that one or want me to process an audio file with it for you (as a sort of demo), let me know. But, I do often wonder about that N81 library.

Speaking of Neve stuff and sidecars, does anyone make a library that sampled a Neve 1055?
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
Don't forget the U76 is based on the 6176, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the compressor part is slightly different from the 1176.
I wrote a little about this on the forum recently. It was originally based on a modern version, however for this new v3, the envelope follower was based/analyzed around a traditional version but not vintage. Hope this helps.
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
I wrote a little about this on the forum recently. It was originally based on a modern version, however for this new v3, the envelope follower was based/analyzed around a traditional version but not vintage. Hope this helps.
Awesome work, Tim.

Your voice would really be appreciated at the Facebook Acustica Audiophiles forum. We love to have the developers there (and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt sales). Please do stop by.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
Awesome work, Tim.

Your voice would really be appreciated at the Facebook Acustica Audiophiles forum. We love to have the developers there (and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt sales). Please do stop by.

Cheers
sounds great
I'll check it out thanks.....

Tim
Old 29th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP Nebula View Post
Thanks, very interesting !
Old 30th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
IMHO it's so close to hardware I would need to side by side compare it to see the differences....... Tim P is on fire and has cracked the Nebula compressor problem, I can reduce 15-20 db on U76 and 3A and it sounds soooooooo damn good, making them my favorite channel comps ITB today.
You tried his recent Vari-Level update too? Decisions!!
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post
You tried his recent Vari-Level update too? Decisions!!
Yep, I'm using Vari-Level on vocals followed by U76 or Opto 3A in a chain, like I would in hardware.

I'm finding U76 and 3A get used all over. U76 has more control but 3A has a unique grab and compression tone with a unique low end compression roll off when needed, Vari-Level is also a unique smooth compression tone. IMHO all 3 are different and all 3 get a lot of use here, in fact I'm not using much else for track compression, but I'm still all Acqua's on buss compression today.
Old 30th August 2017
Quote:
Yep, I'm using Vari-Level on vocals followed by U76 or Opto 3A in a chain, like I would in hardware.

I'm finding U76 and 3A get used all over. U76 has more control but 3A has a unique grab and compression tone with a unique low end compression roll off when needed, Vari-Level is also a unique smooth compression tone. IMHO all 3 are different and all 3 get a lot of use here, in fact I'm not using much else for track compression, but I'm still all Acqua's on buss compression today.
Hi Will! What are you using on your Master buss, which Aqua? Use Titanium on Drum Buss all the time but need a Master comp.

Thanks and I've moved on to Studio One 3 and all is well in Nebula world. Still have to get the Appearance so my eyes don't take a beating, it can get pretty brilliant up close on a good monitor.
Old 30th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Hi Will! What are you using on your Master buss, which Aqua? Use Titanium on Drum Buss all the time but need a Master comp.
I'm using Cobalt on the stereo buss, with Coral and some Lime C on music busses, and Sand or Limc C on the drum buss. The combo of TimP's comps on channels and Acqua's on busses has me smiling at digital audio. I've totally left algo comps thanks to Tim and now only use algo as limiters.e to check that out

I've not used Titanium on drums, thanks...... I'll have to give that a test.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm using Cobalt on the stereo buss, with Coral and some Lime C on music busses, and Sand or Limc C on the drum buss. The combo of TimP's comps on channels and Acqua's on busses has me smiling at digital audio. I've totally left algo comps thanks to Tim and now only use algo as limiters.e to check that out

The tone its so much there rp with this tim p stuff
Old 1st September 2017
Quote:

Do you use the TimP comps with the dedicated preamps for the full color? Or just the comp alone?

Also what is your preferred comp for individual drum, bass and key channels?
Old 1st September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post
Do you use the TimP comps with the dedicated preamps for the full color? Or just the comp alone?
Tim actually recommends putting the pre after the comp when using his libraries. But whatever works and sounds best for the situation.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarfreak View Post

Also what is your preferred comp for individual drum, bass and key channels?
I always use the preamps on Tim's libraries for a more accurate comp tone.

Opto 3A, U76, Vari-Level and Sum 100A handle track comp duties here, with Acqua's on the different busses.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Bay View Post
. . . Also when using nebula, especially HO's presets, can preamps and such be pushed as in Gold where I usually hit Gold's meters between -18 and -6 depending on what I want or are they static to the position it was sampled at and generally should be hit -18 where beyond that no additional saturation would happen? Simulating tracking here. Same goes for comps in nebula? Thanks guys and gals.
I'm also quite curious about this. If someone with Neb 3rd party pres/comps and Gold could comment on Asher Bay's query I'd also be grateful to know.
Old 1st September 2017
Quote:

Opto 3A, U76, Vari-Level and Sum 100A handle track comp duties here, with Acqua's on the different busses.
I love this app workflow but even with my recently bought i7 7700k struggles after using N4 and Acquas on most tracks.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Recommendations for a 33609-style compressor in N4? TimP n60a perhaps? Or Cupwise Smooth 609a?
Old 1st September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Recommendations for a 33609-style compressor in N4? TimP n60a perhaps? Or Cupwise Smooth 609a?
Yeh the Smooth 609a springs to mind, but I don't think Cupwise has skins for N4...?

Edit: I see JPN made a skin for Cupwise's Lunchpail comp

Last edited by candyflip; 1st September 2017 at 05:23 PM..
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Hello,

Regards

Sergio

?????
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same here. Actually I even create patchwork presets with the needed setups I made. So I always load the full chain.
Old 1st September 2017
In regards to the AlexB console libraries, the A16 for example, looking at the manual there are lots of bus presets such as:

A16 G.Bus Clean : Group Bus clean signal
A16 G.Bus Acoustic : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for acoustic instruments
A16 G.Bus AmbFX : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for ambient & FX
A16 G.Bus BG Vox : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for backing vocals
A16 G.Bus Drum : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for drums
A16 G.Bus GTR : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for guitars
A16 G.Bus Percussions : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for percussions
A16 G.Bus SynthPad : Group Bus with equalizer patched useful for synthesizers and pads

Do we know if these are simply his own EQ decisions added to the Clean bus preset? Do you find yourself using these presets often, and adding your own EQ on top of them? Or just using the Clean preset and your own EQ?

Last edited by candyflip; 1st September 2017 at 08:56 PM..
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Guru

Out of interest, has anyone actually done a direct A/B between Neb3 and N4 running the same library? Obvious sonic difference or hard to spot subtle one?
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyflip View Post

Do we know if these are simply his own EQ decisions added to the Clean bus preset? Do you find yourself using these presets often, and adding your own EQ on top of them? Or just using the Clean preset and your own EQ?
His own.

I don't use any of group buses myself, only the mix bus presets. Usually it's the clean depending on the material & console type.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Out of interest, has anyone actually done a direct A/B between Neb3 and N4 running the same library? Obvious sonic difference or hard to spot subtle one?
I've compared, but I didn't make any demos for you to hear. I think that I left a writeup of my conclusions on the Acustica forum. I remember that I felt that N4 sounded smoother. Less harsh. For me, the difference between the quality of the two was noticeable.
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I've compared, but I didn't make any demos for you to hear. I think that I left a writeup of my conclusions on the Acustica forum. I remember that I felt that N4 sounded smoother. Less harsh. For me, the difference between the quality of the two was noticeable.
Thank you. I'll go look there....
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
When the time came to test/replace all Neb-3 instances with the identical N-4 instance ... I figured there would be, at most, a slight change ... even an anticipated placebo reaction.

In this 'test/replace' mastering session, there where maybe a dozen instances to switch.

Since I've did this switch/replace across multiple project, I've clearly heard an interesting difference. Granted ... I've a monitoring Control Room that allows detailed playback.

What I noticed.

Stacking multiple Neb-3 instances tended to cause a mix to become cloudy ... particularly in the low-mid range. Transients also tended to a slight softening. I should note that I carefully decide if each NEB instance is a full harmonic version or clean [usually 'clean' outnumber].

The important issue I found, after multiple stackings, there was usually a 'corrective' instance that would look to address some of this low-mid build-up.

When I switch everything to N-4, this 'corrective' band was not needed.

But that's not the end of it.

Due to the masking effects that developed from Neb-3, I also found that I needed to revisit each of the N-4 replacements for possible adjustments. And I did make changes.

This was not a scientific examination into the switch/replace comparison, so I have no definitive 'this is what changed, and this is how to compensate'.

Further .... I had a new project that had just been started during this period. I found it easier for me to start over with a blank slate.

In our Beta-forums, I had reported about a distinct point in N-4 development that this sonic improvement took place. It was around the time that N-4 sample alignment/integration had had a significant development. Giancarlo acknowledge that this improvement was possible and expected, but did not make any major splash about it. I think he was waiting on reaction from us beta-testers.

Conclusion I arrived at. N-4 is a superior product that evidence itself even in previous 3rd party libraries. The included N-4 compressors [VIOLET] is just an extra 'gem'.

Although I serious miss the NebulaSetUPS capabilities for Neb-3, there was no other sonic choice I could make. [We are told, N-4 is to get its own SetUps capability].

As always, personal perception is a YMMV. Nebula-3 has served me quite well [as a regular customer]. It is still on my current system to maintain recall of past projects. N-4 and a select few ACQUAS [along with some very select algo plugins] is my toolbox.
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Guru

Thanks for taking the time to type that! Now it seems I have to demo N4 at some point and compare for myself I guess......rrrr
Old 2nd September 2017
Lives for gear

I compared the exact same N3 chains with N4 chains and I agree with @RJHollins assessment, N4 has an improved sound IMHO. I resisted moving to N4 but over the past two months I've been moving to N4, as soon as it is released N4 setups will have me 100% there. As always test for yourself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search