The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

This bad boy rocks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-timp-opto-3a.jpg  
Old 18th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Okay, I've had my eye on this and the 1176 for some time now, as I've been extremely impressed with the Sum100..

But as I now see Will's been spamming his joy across the internet the whole day, that really pushes me over the edge. I'll be buying this one first thing tomorrow.
Old 18th August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
This bad boy rocks!!
Yes, and I especially liked that the gui is automatically loaded into N4. Really cool. Knobs react better then with V1 for sure. Tonewise I've just compared the old and the new version on acoustic guitar and the V2 is more versatile for sure. Sound is very close though, as it should be. By the way, Black Rosser VLA-3A is also very close. Not as open maybe and misses some subtle shimmer, but it is close.
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey folks I just wanted to give fellow Nebula users a heads up on the new 2.1 update on the Tim P Opto 3A release...... it's special IMHO. I've been using it on drums with some of the best ITB compressor results I've ever had. I'm still recovering after using it on heavy 808's last night, I've never had hardware results on 808's ITB like the Opto 3A delivered, and I was compressing over 10 db!

My results have shown Tim has achieved something special and he's currently working on his 1176 library upgrades like the 3A...... good times for Nebula users.

To each their own.
You've sold me. What other sources has it been working/will it work well on? I honestly never reach for opto compressors for anything. FET (1176 style) are my go-to for drum tracks and then vari-mu or VCA for drum busses. For vocals, it's usually an 1176 style or vari-mu, and for bass, it's pretty much always an 1176 (you can tell I like my 1176/FET comps). But I hear a lot of people like opto for vocals. I never shy away from really colored compressors either, so if this compressor brings that to the table, all the better.

I typically record and mix rock-style music (drum kits, bass cabinets, guitar amps, vocals, lots of condenser microphones and sm57s).
Old 18th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefog View Post
Okay, I've had my eye on this and the 1176 for some time now, as I've been extremely impressed with the Sum100..

But as I now see Will's been spamming his joy across the internet the whole day, that really pushes me over the edge. I'll be buying this one first thing tomorrow.
LOL, special tools deserve special praise IMHO.

Honestly, I could not sleep well after testing it last night. Song after song in testing Opto 3A, it just shined and once I started hitting 808's with it and it just took so much damn compression without issue and the audio improved with a great attack and no low end smear or loss, I was sold as ONLY hardware has given me what Opto 3A did on 808's. For now drums and bass are getting the 3A treatment. I'll hit some vocals today, but I already know it will shine after all the tests I did yesterday, and LA3A's are known as killer vocal comps.

Tim has really nailed his comp techniques IMHO, 1176 should be done next week and Sum 100a soon after that...... the N4 and N3 skins just put it over the top.

It's great to see Nebula libraries keeping up with the Acqua's.

To each their own.
Old 19th August 2017
Quote:

Honestly, I could not sleep well after testing it last night. Song after song in testing Opto 3A, it just shined and once I started hitting 808's with it and it just took so much damn compression without issue and the audio improved with a great attack and no low end smear or loss, I was sold as ONLY hardware has given me what Opto 3A did on 808's. For now drums and bass are getting the 3A treatment. I'll hit some vocals today, but I already know it will shine after all the tests I did yesterday, and LA3A's are known as killer vocal comps.

Tim has really nailed his comp techniques IMHO, 1176 should be done next week and Sum 100a soon after that...... the N4 and N3 skins just put it over the top.

To each their own.
It is great on vocals, you are right. Wouldn't have tried it normally without your hint. Thanks.

Last edited by Geronimos Guitar; 19th August 2017 at 07:20 PM..
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
It is great on vocals, you are right. Wouldn't have right it normally.
An hour of smacking vocals and......... this is a very special ITB tool, smoked vocals from 5db to 15db of reduction. Nothing I do from vocals, bass, sub bass, live drums, electronic drums, piano, synths, to 808's can make this damn comp sound bad or break up...... and this is in N4! I hit 808's at close to 20db of reduction and 3A just grinned at me and flipped me off, again all in N4, I'm still a little shocked at my results, but if it sounds good..... it is good.

Edit:
Well folks I found a flaw, lol, it's not a great buss comp IMHO. It's solid on open acoustic type busses but I prefer Cobalt, Lime C, or Coral for dense electronic buss work but to each their own in their needs.

As a channel comp this is a top 3 moving forward for me on just about everything. I'm hoping Tim's 1176 next week will be 1-2 punch for channel comp work.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 19th August 2017 at 02:28 AM..
Old 19th August 2017
Gear Guru

Does this upgrade work in N3?
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Absolutely !
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Works in both N3 and N4 with skins for both.
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

To each their own.
*Instant buy*

Hope all is well Will! Been busy this season and will be back to music in a couple of months.

How come you're selling those gorgeous comps?
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
How come you're selling those gorgeous comps?
I picked up a pair of my absolute favorite pre/comp channel strips, Requisite Audio Pal Plus's. I don't need more than 2 channels of preamps and to keep the wife happy, I'm selling to help cover the Requisite cost...... happy wife, happy life. While I know it's anti-slut to sell the RS124 but the Pal Plus's are special and will more than cover my tracking needs, one for my VM-1 and one for my Rm2J.

The Pal Plus's have an amazing preamp with an improved LA2A based comp in them and are magical, the 3D depth they provide has to be heard to be believed. They are tube based and flat to around 60Khz with the most natural open tone.
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I picked up a pair of my absolute favorite pre/comp channel strips, Requisite Audio Pal Plus's. I don't need more than 2 channels of preamps and to keep the wife happy, I'm selling to help cover the Requisite cost...... happy wife, happy life. While I know it's anti-slut to sell the RS124 but the Pal Plus's are special and will more than cover my tracking needs, one for my VM-1 and one for my Rm2J.

The Pal Plus's have an amazing preamp with an improved LA2A based comp in them and are magical, the 3D depth they provide has to be heard to be believed. They are tube based and flat to around 60Khz with the most natural open tone.
Heck, that's one hell of a recommendation. Hadn't heard of RA before, will check them out.

Enjoy!
Old 19th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Heck, that's one hell of a recommendation. Hadn't heard of RA before, will check them out.

Enjoy!
Welcome | Requesite Audio
Old 19th August 2017
Here for the gear

I suggested to Tim P and Giancarlo ages ago about the PAL & l2m mk3. Ages ago !!
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Those look amazing. Congrats.
Old 20th August 2017
Gear Addict

Did you get the tube PSU? It reminds me to the Greg Hanks BA660, high quality pre with comp...
Old 22nd August 2017
Lives for gear

2 great events for Acustica coming up in the U.K. in September. A rare chance to meet Giancarlo and Nikolay from AA and attend lectures on convolution reverb, Acustica's techniques and more. Cheers.........

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/can-c...ts-37092952018

Audio Engineering Society UK » Can convolution do realistic distorted reverberation? Presentation by Acustica Audio
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Have been trying the new Timp opto3a against my BRA VLA3A. Opto3a is just better. They do the same thing, but the sound that comes out from the Opto3a is something else.

And Timp has added some pretty cool features, like a Dry knob, HPF SC and the option to use the attack time of a 2A. The usability, with Jpn skin, is great. Very responsive and beautiful. The only problem is with metering.

I can't help to think that if this was a "normal" plug in, like an Acqua, this was going to be one of the most acclaimed plugin.
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Have been trying the new Timp opto3a against my BRA VLA3A. Opto3a is just better. They do the same thing, but the sound that comes out from the Opto3a is something else.

And Timp has added some pretty cool features, like a Dry knob, HPF SC and the option to use the attack time of a 2A. The usability, with Jpn skin, is great. Very responsive and beautiful. The only problem is with metering.

I can't help to think that if this was a "normal" plug in, like an Acqua, this was going to be one of the most acclaimed plugin.
Yeah, if this was an Acqua it would be very popular, what Tim has achieved in Nebula is amazing IMHO. Tim's extras take it over the top making Opto 3A the finest LA3A plugin out there IMHO, and I've been saying it all over GS the past week as special tools deserve special praise.

As to the metering, it's a N4 quirk, try changing your N4 "guirate" to 25000, over the standard 20000 in the xml. This improved the wonky N4 metering for me and other users across all the plugins, just make sure to back up your N4 xml file.

Last edited by Will The Weirdo; 25th August 2017 at 06:01 AM..
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, if this was an Acqua it would be very popular, what Tim has achieved in Nebula is amazing IMHO. Tim's extras take it over the top making Opto 3A the finest LA3A plugin out there IMHO, and I've been saying it all over GS the past week as special tools deserve special praise.

As to the metering, it's a N4 quirk, try changing your N4 "guirate" to 25000, over the standard 20000 in the xml. This improved the wonky N4 metering for me and other users across all the plugins, just make sure to back up your N4 xml file.
I don't know how Tim does it really, but after many phone conversations and him blinding me with technical overload and his ultra stringent and meticulous approach, i can attest to his attention to detail. He works damn hard to make these tools, never winging it, never scrimping on the minutiae of the process, and the results show.

I've had some real gobsmacking ''can't believe it's not hardware'' moments with this 3a library, both on guitars and bass. It sounds superb. In fact I'd go as far to say, the most astonished I've ever been with this tech has been with Tim's P's libraries and Gold.

This technology never ceases to amaze me.

i expect a lot more people to get into Aqua and Nebula very soon, it's getting impossible to ignore now and for good reason.
Old 25th August 2017
Gear Maniac

In short I'm using a hybrid approach.....
A lot of theory goes into it rather than being a straight sampling session. A lot of stuff needs re thinking as feedback comps are notorisly hard to analyze in their behavoir as the release is going through so many varitions due to many factors, ie the shape can derive from the ratio, attack, program dependence, release time, charging and discharging . I try to break each of those things down in order to try emulate the side envelope follower. This means heavy editing and lots of patience... In short you could sample a feedforward comp fairly easy but feedback design is a headache.

U76 is just around the corner
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
This bad boy rocks!!
Agreed. Between this and Alex's R43 lately, I have been in heaven.
Actually, seeing that badass GUI reminded me of a basic question I have been meaning to ask. When I installed N4 on my new rig, none of the N4 plugins display their proper GUI (ie - Violet etc) and just the default GUI. How do I get it back? I suspect it may be something to do with VST2 v VST3 but not sure...
Old 25th August 2017
Lives for gear
So im finally going to dive into N4. Ive been putting it off for over a year as I transitioned and acclimated to the new workflow. Aquas are fun but Ive generally been more impressed with the eqs from AlexB. Hence why I skipped Pink, Sand, and Magenta. Gold is an exception, how does Tim P's offering compare? From my understanding the eq it comes from is a bit more hifi?

Also when using nebula, especially HO's presets, can preamps and such be pushed as in Gold where I usually hit Gold's meters between -18 and -6 depending on what I want or are they static to the position it was sampled at and generally should be hit -18 where beyond that no additional saturation would happen? Simulating tracking here. Same goes for comps in nebula? Thanks guys and gals.
Old 27th August 2017
Don't mean to change the subject. Cubase has stopped working and I have to switch the Studio One which doesn't recognize Nebula 3 in the current setup. Cubase does. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm screwed here this morning with Cubase not loading the Mix Console anymore. Anyway, thanks!

If there are any Studio One and Nebula 3 users out there, I would love to know where you have your main Nebula files (nebulatemrepository, etc.).
Working in Cubase: Program Files/VSTPlugins/nebulatemprepository/acustica/have the 2 Nebula dll and xml files. The Programs and Vectors are also in VSTPlugins/.
Win 7/64. What setup are Studio One folks using?
Old 27th August 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

I also like a lot Gold Pre and PrimeMix on the master bus.
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Tim Petherick U76 v3.
1176 race is over!
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-u76-rack-632x324.png  
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Tim Petherick U76 v3.
1176 race is over!
I'm very excited about this. Will The Weirdo, let us know your thoughts!
Old 27th August 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

I hope he improved the release behaviour.
Old 27th August 2017
Just tried it out on some bass. It sounds and reacts awesome. Very, very much like my hw 1176. Will try tomorrow on snare, where the hw can do things that all the emus couldn't. This will be interesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search