The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 7th August 2017
  #1951
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
Of course, they are all just tools. Maserati has a hybrid system, Brauer almost completely otb, and Tchad Blake completely itb and I doubt he uses AA stuff. Do any of those guys deliver bad mixes, or don't know what he's doing ?
I, personnaly, do better mixes with AA stuff. And I have more fun.
I feel the same, I just enjoy all of them for what they do best, not only the AA ones.
Old 7th August 2017
  #1952
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Just use whatever we like..don't need to debate. Some like orange, some like pear etc..just buy what we like and use. Don't like, don't use it or sell it..hahaha

Anyway, AlexB R43 is a fantastic comp..everyone should just give it a demo.

Greg Wells loved his RND Portico Comp @ https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good...or-smokes.html
Old 7th August 2017
  #1953
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Just use whatever we like..don't need to debate. Some like orange, some like pear etc..just buy what we like and use. Don't like, don't use it or sell it..hahaha

Anyway, AlexB R43 is a fantastic comp..everyone should just give it a demo.

Greg Wells loved his RND Portico Comp @ https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good...or-smokes.html
Man, I just trust TimP compressors in Nebula land. I really want to try this new AlexB and Cupwise new API, but I never liked their compressors, and there is no full demo.
Old 7th August 2017
  #1954
Lives for gear
 

Lately, I'm totally digging Tim P's N60A compressor library. Very nice! If I start a Nebula "must have" list, this one will probably go on it.
https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/downloads/n60a-comp/

Personally, I feel that all third party libraries would benefit from custom GUIs/Skins. I'm trying to get Acustica to create a 'skin builder' or at least allow users to change the skins for any N4 library. Imagine is every library looked as good as Acquas like Violet. I'd enjoy using N4 much more than I do now.
Old 7th August 2017
  #1955
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Man, I just trust TimP compressors in Nebula land. I really want to try this new AlexB and Cupwise new API, but I never liked their compressors, and there is no full demo.
Tim's Comp are top notch

For AlexB comps, i love the tone and i don't use them to crush stuff. Tim's lib does all the crushing

Anyway, R43 has replace Lime Comp C on mixbus..thats how good this comp is
Old 7th August 2017
  #1956
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I don't think plugins from 2010 sounded better than the 2017 ones. This statement is confusing.

Developers are pushing things further every year. 2017 is definitely an amazing year. I'm looking at the new Karacter, Kush Omega 458, the new UAD SSL bus comp, even the bx E; wonderful tools, nothing inferior about them. Sure, Sand eq sounds in certain situations better but can't replicate the sound made with UAD 4k E or bx E. They sound simply different and I find it incredible to have them all.

Many times I discover that UAD SSL G sounds better than Lime Bus or Pearl Comp, or Cobalt. Same with UAD API 2500 or even the Zener, which is simply irreplaceable ATM.

And to this day nothing can replace for me the 1176 collection either. Tim P version, although loved by many Nebula users, failed to impress me. The new comps in N4 are nice but very different and complementary to the UAD ones.

It's more about what sound one is after than anything else. Naming all non AA plugins inferior is ridiculous IMHO. I did try, out of curiosity, to mix and master a track using only Equilibrium, some Kush and PA compressors, some saturators on busses and in the end the mix turned out terrific and not inferior sounding in any way compared to those mixed with lots of AA stuff. It was quite a surprise, I have to admit. I also did a similar test mixing mostly with PA plugins. No problems either, the producer couldn't spot a difference in quality from mixes done on two consecutive days, one with lots of Acquas and zero PA plugins while the other was quite the opposite.

My experience has shown me lately more and more that the listening system makes a far greater difference than any other tool. I've heard mixes ruined with expensive analog gear and mixes ruined with shiny Acqua plugins as well.
Quite. Thank you for the reality blast.
Old 8th August 2017
  #1957
Gear Addict
So I ran some sweeps through the R33 mid bands and came across this.
Only checked the low mid and the hi mid. Both bands displayed the same behavior. This is full boost at the highest Q.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-screenshot-14-.jpg   Nebula must have-screenshot-11-.jpg   Nebula must have-screenshot-12-.jpg  
Old 8th August 2017
  #1958
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

Looks like the channels have a bit of a mismatch (which is part of the analog 'magic', bigger stereo image etc.). Try to run the analyzer separate for the left and right.
Old 8th August 2017
  #1959
Gear Addict
doesn't make a difference. theres no left right variation. its only one eq that was sampled.
Old 8th August 2017
  #1960
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

That's odd. Usually that's why such things happen.

The only other thing I could think of is interpolation errors.
Old 9th August 2017
  #1961
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
doesn't make a difference. theres no left right variation. its only one eq that was sampled.
I seem to recall that someone brought up a similar concern about his Rupert Neve R88 console on the Acustica forum and that Alex B said that both sides were matched like super-closely. Anyway, as far as I know, he put out new programs that had more variance and people seemed happy with those. You may want to contact him about this eq to see what he says. I would also like to know about this, as I am interested in purchasing this library.

Andrums wrote:
"I think R88 has less big sound because Master Bus sampled in mono.
Other consoles (MFC,4KC,A16) have stereo sampled Master Bus programs.
It is very bad."


Alex B wrote:

"Master Bus is sampled in stereo BUT the channels are perfectly matched, so you don't see any separation into vst-analyzer. If you like more the unmatched mixbus I can give you the unmatched presets."
Old 9th August 2017
  #1962
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Tim's Comp are top notch

For AlexB comps, i love the tone and i don't use them to crush stuff. Tim's lib does all the crushing

Anyway, R43 has replace Lime Comp C on mixbus..thats how good this comp is
Really interesting. So do you get any slight gain reduction with R43, or do you just use it as a pass-through? Can you control the attack and release settings? The reason I ask is that I've seen others mention issues with the compression action on Nebula comps besides TimP's and Cupwise.
Old 9th August 2017
  #1963
Lives for gear
 
davidgary73's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Really interesting. So do you get any slight gain reduction with R43, or do you just use it as a pass-through? Can you control the attack and release settings? The reason I ask is that I've seen others mention issues with the compression action on Nebula comps besides TimP's and Cupwise.
Yes..you can tweak the attack and release on R43. Gain reduction no prob like the picture attached

R43 won't give u the smack like U76, 160 etc but it's great for light compression on instruments and on masterbuss. You'll hear some tight compression when you reduce the threshold, ratio up but it won't sound like a smack U76.

Anyway, both Tim's comps are great when u want to compress from gentle to smacking hard. In regards to AlexB comps, he said:

Quote:
However my compressor works for the sound and light compression, I prefer build good sound since Nebula will work correctly in mimic the attack and release as the sampled hardware.
https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB...p?f=13&t=30140
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-r43.png  
Old 9th August 2017
  #1964
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgary73 View Post
Yes..you can tweak the attack and release on R43. Gain reduction no prob like the picture attached

R43 won't give u the smack like U76, 160 etc but it's great for light compression on instruments and on masterbuss. You'll hear some tight compression when you reduce the threshold, ratio up but it won't sound like a smack U76.

Anyway, both Tim's comps are great when u want to compress from gentle to smacking hard. In regards to AlexB comps, he said:



https://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB...p?f=13&t=30140
Lovely! Thanks for this info. I remember seeing that AlexB said that, but I still wanted to see some real tests in action. Thanks for the picture showing the reduction. I think I see a new purchase on the horizon.
Old 10th August 2017
  #1965
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I seem to recall that someone brought up a similar concern about his Rupert Neve R88 console on the Acustica forum and that Alex B said that both sides were matched like super-closely. Anyway, as far as I know, he put out new programs that had more variance and people seemed happy with those. You may want to contact him about this eq to see what he says. I would also like to know about this, as I am interested in purchasing this library.

Andrums wrote:
"I think R88 has less big sound because Master Bus sampled in mono.
Other consoles (MFC,4KC,A16) have stereo sampled Master Bus programs.
It is very bad."


Alex B wrote:

"Master Bus is sampled in stereo BUT the channels are perfectly matched, so you don't see any separation into vst-analyzer. If you like more the unmatched mixbus I can give you the unmatched presets."
Just to be clear this was only one instance of the low mid band of the eq on a mono channel. The chain was tone generator, R33 then analyzer.
Old 10th August 2017
  #1966
Just got the AlexB 4K Console and I am really pleased. Was already flashed by the R88 Console, but this one is on par. Wanted to have something to go with bx console E and that works really great. But also on it's own, on the drumbus with the Drumbus preset, widens and tightens the soundstage at the same time. I have definitely underestimated these AlexB consoles lately.
Old 10th August 2017
  #1967
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Just got the AlexB 4K Console and I am really pleased. Was already flashed by the R88 Console, but this one is on par. Wanted to have something to go with bx console E and that works really great. But also on it's own, on the drumbus with the Drumbus preset, widens and tightens the soundstage at the same time. I have definitely underestimated these AlexB consoles lately.
Yep it's easy to overlook the AlexB consoles with so many new flashy plugins being hyped all over the net from so many companies. I've yet to find any plugin that provides the harmonics like Nebula does for the 3D tone, combine them with your favorite EQ and comp and enjoy the ITB results.
Old 10th August 2017
  #1968
Lives for gear
 

To add .... AlexB Consoles are very important in most all my work. I'll not hesitate to combine different consoles together, as each one brings
a unique signature. [small example: tracking through a NEVE, Mixing through an SSL. Mastering through any combination of the boards AlexB has provided.]

... and then .... some projects ... no consoles at all. It all depends
Old 11th August 2017
  #1969
Gear Nut
 

I'm getting a weird behaviour on reaper/sierra
the cpu goes super high with nebula fx disabled (this never happens with other plugins, they could be super cpu intensive but if I disable track fx cpu goes down to 0ish, the funny thing is with all the nebula on the cpu goes nuts but on a track basis it shows just a tiny cpu consuption.
of course, from osx activity monitor the reaper app is over 100%
I know Nebula is a cpu nightmare I only would like to get what is happening.
thank you guys!
ps. (I renamed the fx instances, they are N4 vsts with alexb programs)

Old 11th August 2017
  #1970
Gear Addict
 
MrChick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
To add .... AlexB Consoles are very important in most all my work. I'll not hesitate to combine different consoles together, as each one brings
a unique signature. [small example: tracking through a NEVE, Mixing through an SSL. Mastering through any combination of the boards AlexB has provided.]

... and then .... some projects ... no consoles at all. It all depends
I'm experimenting with different consoles/preamps for diferents subgroups. The groups get different sonic spaces like they were in different boxes. The separation is bigger but wondering if this is a good or bad thing. Maybe a only one console for all the tracks gets a more cohesive sound. What do you think?
Old 11th August 2017
  #1971
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I'm experimenting with different consoles/preamps for diferents subgroups. The groups get different sonic spaces like they were in different boxes. The separation is bigger but wondering if this is a good or bad thing. Maybe a only one console for all the tracks gets a more cohesive sound. What do you think?
I do it the sub group way that you describe, rather than one compression on all. I find it helps create a better separation and sonic signal for the song or instrumental.
Old 11th August 2017
  #1972
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoc View Post
I'm getting a weird behaviour on reaper/sierra
the cpu goes super high with nebula fx disabled (this never happens with other plugins, they could be super cpu intensive but if I disable track fx cpu goes down to 0ish, the funny thing is with all the nebula on the cpu goes nuts but on a track basis it shows just a tiny cpu consuption.
of course, from osx activity monitor the reaper app is over 100%
I know Nebula is a cpu nightmare I only would like to get what is happening.
thank you guys!
ps. (I renamed the fx instances, they are N4 vsts with alexb programs)
Since G has clearly stated there is no MAC issue, this clearly has to be poor MAC OS coding by Acustica Audio and should be addressed ASAP!!
Old 11th August 2017
  #1973
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChick View Post
I'm experimenting with different consoles/preamps for diferents subgroups. The groups get different sonic spaces like they were in different boxes. The separation is bigger but wondering if this is a good or bad thing. Maybe a only one console for all the tracks gets a more cohesive sound. What do you think?
Well ... different sonic spaces can be just what the tracks call for. Check out some of the YES recordings.

During my 'tracking' days, it was not uncommon to have to travel to different studios to record overdubs. Sometimes it was for logistical reasons, other times for specific sonic requirements.

The decision is an 'artistic' one IMO. Creating the stage/atmosphere from which the performance is presented, should be determined by the creator.

I'd say, Right or wrong is in the 'Ear of the Listener'.
Old 11th August 2017
  #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
Just got the AlexB 4K Console and I am really pleased. Was already flashed by the R88 Console, but this one is on par. Wanted to have something to go with bx console E and that works really great. But also on it's own, on the drumbus with the Drumbus preset, widens and tightens the soundstage at the same time. I have definitely underestimated these AlexB consoles lately.
Welcome aboard! I was knocked out the first time I used one of the AlexB consoles on an entire mix. Can't imagine working without them now.

I need to upgrade my system and it took me a long time to get Nebula 3 up and running in a manner I could use daily so I like the consoles so much I've even hesitated to buy a new computer in case I have issues with the new gear. That's game change material and there's only a handful of those plugins that get that moniker.
Old 11th August 2017
  #1975
Gear Addict
 
MrChick's Avatar
 

I love these Yes records!

That was mi idea, like "let's go to record the drums to x studio and the guitars to Y studio". I'm putting different tapes, comp and Eq in the subgroups. The 2bus always get my analog mastering chain. Sincerely I'm happy with the sound I'm getting.
Old 11th August 2017
  #1976
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
I need to upgrade my system and it took me a long time to get Nebula 3 up and running in a manner I could use daily so I like the consoles so much I've even hesitated to buy a new computer in case I have issues with the new gear. That's game change material and there's only a handful of those plugins that get that moniker.
When I upgraded to my 5820K last year I was a bit concerned too, but everything went smooth just make sure to save a copy of your setups.
Old 11th August 2017
  #1977
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Welcome aboard! I was knocked out the first time I used one of the AlexB consoles on an entire mix. Can't imagine working without them now.

I need to upgrade my system and it took me a long time to get Nebula 3 up and running in a manner I could use daily so I like the consoles so much I've even hesitated to buy a new computer in case I have issues with the new gear. That's game change material and there's only a handful of those plugins that get that moniker.
I stumbled through upgrading to a new machine and getting everything to work. Once I figured out everything I needed to do, it was fine. I even have all my programs and vectors on an ssd drive now. Feels good man.
Old 12th August 2017
  #1978
Gear Head
 

When I upgraded to my 5820K last year I was a bit concerned too, but everything went smooth just make sure to save a copy of your setups.

Hi Will, I've never had to switch to a new machine yet & have wondered if I can just copy all my folders over including the "Aut" files to the new machine or do I have to contact Acustica and get a completely new installation & Aut file?
Thanks for your time
Old 12th August 2017
  #1979
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by moge View Post
Hi Will, I've never had to switch to a new machine yet & have wondered if I can just copy all my folders over including the "Aut" files to the new machine or do I have to contact Acustica and get a completely new installation & Aut file?
Thanks for your time
Yes you'll have to send in for new Aut files if you change hardware but you can copy over the setups.
Old 18th August 2017
  #1980
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
Hey folks I just wanted to give fellow Nebula users a heads up on the new 2.1 update on the Tim P Opto 3A release...... it's special IMHO. I've been using it on drums with some of the best ITB compressor results I've ever had. I'm still recovering after using it on heavy 808's last night, I've never had hardware results on 808's ITB like the Opto 3A delivered, and I was compressing over 10 db!

My results have shown Tim has achieved something special and he's currently working on his 1176 library upgrades like the 3A...... good times for Nebula users.

To each their own.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
quincyg / Music Computers
754
Dom & Roland / The Moan Zone
10
marshallplexi / Music Computers
6
fingerbeats / Music Computers
10
Patric Noonan / So much gear, so little time
11

Forum Jump
Forum Jump