The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula must have Saturation Plugins
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Maniac

What is your " go to" for acoustic guitar in Nebula world? I checked all pages in this thread but didn't find any about sweet and mellow acoustic guitar suggestion.
Old 12th July 2017
Gear Addict

Henry o all you can eat will sort you out.
Old 12th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighEnd View Post
What is your " go to" for acoustic guitar in Nebula world? I checked all pages in this thread but didn't find any about sweet and mellow acoustic guitar suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiejaxx View Post
Henry o all you can eat will sort you out.
H.O. & Tim P's Blue 1102.
For compression I use hardware.
Old 17th July 2017
Has anyone compared AlexB's A16 with CDSM's ACC library? Only a dollar difference in price and I'm torn.
Old 17th July 2017
Gear Addict

Hit up michael for a demo he's a great guy i have his api ssl and neve n1073 they're all great not toooo colored but theyre definitely different sounding..michael's doesn't affect the color of the mix too much and it's cpu light i would grab the demos and apply them once you got your channel built and then switch them to see which you like.
Old 20th July 2017
Gear Addict
Any opinions on the 88 Rupert console?
Old 20th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
Any opinions on the 88 Rupert console?
It sounds great and AlexB just released new Mixbus presets and made them even better. R88 sounds big, deep, wide, musical and focused in the low mids.
Old 5th August 2017
It is funny, today I got bx_console E because in the end it was a very good price for a useful and good sounding tool. I like it. But then I also updated today from Modern White Console, Dynamics and EQ to Rupert 88, 33 and 43. I just put the master bus preset on a current mix and I had to smile. This is a sound that is subtle and open and distinctive. The same with the EQ. Nothing exaggerated, but just sonic heaven. AlexB made me happy today!
Old 5th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimos Guitar View Post
It is funny, today I got bx_console E because in the end it was a very good price for a useful and good sounding tool. I like it. But then I also updated today from Modern White Console, Dynamics and EQ to Rupert 88, 33 and 43. I just put the master bus preset on a current mix and I had to smile. This is a sound that is subtle and open and distinctive. The same with the EQ. Nothing exaggerated, but just sonic heaven. AlexB made me happy today!
I've been on the fence with grabbing either the BX E (I love SSL) or just picking up the full AlexB 88/33/43 pack....... I love the BX concept but it's hard for me to trust algo plugs in 2017, then again I have so many AlexB consoles, lol.

In the end I'm all about the sonic quality over anything else, so AlexB will most likely get my money unless the BX demo is amazing..... I'm open to opinions.
Old 6th August 2017
Here for the gear

Guys. Tim Cupwise has just released an A*I 525 lunchbox compressor/limiter program...
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
I've been on the fence with grabbing either the BX E (I love SSL) or just picking up the full AlexB 88/33/43 pack....... I love the BX concept but it's hard for me to trust algo plugs in 2017, then again I have so many AlexB consoles, lol.

In the end I'm all about the sonic quality over anything else, so AlexB will most likely get my money unless the BX demo is amazing..... I'm open to opinions.
Will, if you don't mind, go demo Bx E and let us know what you think of it. I'm on the fence too if i should grab Bx E or Console 1

I would say get AlexB R88 and R43 first. These two are so good

R42..it takes time to get use to it..it did not wow me much at the beginning but i'm liking it the more i use it.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsareme View Post
Guys. Tim Cupwise has just released an A*I 525 lunchbox compressor/limiter program...
I think it's a 225L.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

Interesting to see you ask like this instead of just demoing it for yourself. I see you tell people to demo AA stuff for themselves all over the place.

Maybe you would be surprised just how good some of the PA plugs are in 2017.....personally I would rather give up my AA than my PA stuff. And I haven't even got bx E yet.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Interesting to see you ask like this instead of just demoing it for yourself. I see you tell people to demo AA stuff for themselves all over the place.

Maybe you would be surprised just how good some of the PA plugs are in 2017.....personally I would rather give up my AA than my PA stuff. And I haven't even got bx E yet.
I see a lot of Nebula users talking about the Console E and I just wanted opinions before I spend my time demoing it, I'm extremely busy right now.

I have very little confidence in algo tech sonics in 2017 and just don't want to waste my time with another inferior sounding tool coming down the over hype track. I wasted years of my time and thousands on chasing that train, but I'm always looking for the better tool.......... I actually like the Brainworx concept of channel variance like a real console and I'll most likely demo it this week if I get time just to know for myself. If it sounds like SSL I'll buy it, if not I'll pass.

Thus far the opinions are that Console E is a low CPU fast workflow tool that is not superior sounding to Waves SSL or Duende. There are also some that I trust having serious issues with the wide (up to 10db) variances per channels on the EQ's and comps. IMHO any real console with that much channel variance needs maintenance.

FWIW, I use some PA plugs, mainly for M/S and metering work, and if they could make the SPL transient designer actually sound like the hardware I would be happy to give them more of my money instantly.

Good is the enemy if great and I'm after great, but to each their own as always.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I have lots of PA stuff and actually only use them when my CPU needs a rest from the Acquas/Nebs.
The one I'm interested in right now is the Nyrv/CDSM collaboration. It is algo but sounds interesting, especially since endorsed by someone developping for Nebula. His expectations are supposed to be high ! I'm gonna demo it this week. Too bad it is just a simple Eq. Not that it is not an interesting Eq, but it won't let us test it in its full potential.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
I have lots of PA stuff and actually only use them when my CPU needs a rest from the Acquas/Nebs.
The one I'm interested in right now is the Nyrv/CDSM collaboration. It is algo but sounds interesting, especially since endorsed by someone developping for Nebula. His expectations are supposed to be high ! I'm gonna demo it this week. Too bad it is just a simple Eq. Not that it is not an interesting Eq, but it won't let us test it in its full potential.
When everything slows down for me I was planning on testing the new Nyrv EQ too, that demo put me off as it was not very natural sounding, but I'll test it for myself when I can, just to know for sure, but I need a new EQ like I need more body fat, lol.

Tim P, Cupwise and AlexB all have new libraries out now and I'm behind on testing them, my summer sure has zipped by.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
When everything slows down for me I was planning on testing the new Nyrv EQ too, that demo put me off as it was not very natural sounding, but I'll test it for myself when I can, just to know for sure.

Tim P, Cupwise and AlexB all have new libraries out now and I'm behind on testing them, my summer sure has zipped by.
I know ! About the Nyrv, I will put it up against Prime Curve and Softube brilliance pack. Sounds interesting. All I can say about the new libs is the Cupwise chambers are on all my mixes since 2 weeks. Talk about tone and colour on your verbs !

Last edited by Avgatzeblouz; 6th August 2017 at 05:41 PM..
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
I see a lot of Nebula users talking about the Console E and I just wanted opinions before I spend my time demoing it, I'm extremely busy right now.

I have very little confidence in algo tech sonics in 2017 and just don't want to waste my time with another inferior sounding tool coming down the over hype track. I wasted years of my time and thousands on chasing that train, but I'm always looking for the better tool.......... I actually like the Brainworx concept of channel variance like a real console and I'll most likely demo it this week if I get time just to know for myself. If it sounds like SSL I'll buy it, if not I'll pass.

Thus far the opinions are that Console E is a low CPU fast workflow tool that is not superior sounding to Waves SSL or Duende. There are also some that I trust having serious issues with the wide (up to 10db) variances per channels on the EQ's and comps. IMHO any real console with that much channel variance needs maintenance.

FWIW, I use some PA plugs, mainly for M/S and metering work, and if they could make the SPL transient designer actually sound like the hardware I would be happy to give them more of my money instantly.

Good is the enemy if great and I'm after great, but to each their own as always.
yup, me, I am very content with 'good'. But each to their own indeed.

These people you trust sound confused, as they could very easily just switch the TMT off and have all the channels on the same number if they wished.....'serious issues' gone in a whiffy. I haven't tried the SSL version yet and do read the differences are larger than on the previous bx console (that I have), but 10dB?? Really? 10 dB of what?
5kHz? 60Hz? Overall level? I very much doubt it.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

These people you trust sound confused, as they could very easily just switch the TMT off and have all the channels on the same number if they wished.....'serious issues' gone in a whiffy. I haven't tried the SSL version yet and do read the differences are larger than on the previous bx console (that I have), but 10dB?? Really? 10 dB of what?
Hey dude take it easy , not everyone has the maximum 5 minutes it takes to download the less than 100mb demo, activate it from within the daw ,not to mention the huge amount of time it takes to swap out a channelstrip on your current mix or just duplicate whatever track you wanna try out.

It then takes a lot of very scientific tests using spectrum analysers checking phasing or what have you,null tests etc, to really see if this channel strip is any good.

It's waaaaaaay quicker to go to the AA site ,purchase the demo then go to the dashboard find it go to the box download the almost a gig sometimes more file install it then open your daw,get the ser file go back to the site upload it,wait on the auth file then drag it to the respective folders then open your daw and check/test.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

It would seem from users reports that there is indeed a large amount of channel variation, with some users reporting close to 10db difference on some channels using EQ and compression (I'm not sure how they measured it). IMHO even a 5db difference is way too much and I would have to have those channels serviced, so Console E seems a work in progress and only a proper demo mix would show the truth.

As to just using the same channels, that would negate Console E's biggest selling point IMHO.

As I said, when I get time I'll test it for myself as I like the concept. Several of us have been bugging G to do a full console like that for an Acqua console, that would take a lot of work, but it would be the most accurate way to do a console plugin IMHO.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
open your daw,get the ser file go back to the site upload it,wait on the auth file then drag it to the respective folders then open your daw and check/test.

That is what aquarius is for. You really should update your rants. It makes you look uninformed.

I downloaded BX console e recently. Very nice Gui compared to the waves. It is too small imo. Not discerning enough ears to really tell one from the other. They both sound good.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
That is what aquarius is for. You really should update your rants. It makes you look uninformed.

I downloaded e recently. Very nice Gui compared to the waves. It is too small imo. Not discerning enough ears to really tell one from the other. They both sound good.
..ok.

Old 6th August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
It would seem from users reports that there is indeed a large amount of channel variation, with some users reporting close to 10db difference on some channels using EQ and compression (I'm not sure how they measured it). IMHO even a 5db difference is way too much and I would have to have those channels serviced, so Console E seems a work in progress and only a proper demo mix would show the truth.

As to just using the same channels, that would negate Console E's biggest selling point IMHO.

As I said, when I get time I'll test it for myself as I like the concept. Several of us have been bugging G to do a full console like that for an Acqua console, that would take a lot of work, but it would be the most accurate way to do a console plugin IMHO.
It would seem that 'seem' is the main word here. Knowing the differences in my bx console to be between 'can't tell the difference' and 'arguably you have to be anal to value this difference, but hey I am' I find it pretty impossible to imagine differences of 5 never mind 10dB, whatever anyone measured. I mean, 6dB is twice as loud for god's sake.

Interesting also that you call something a work in progress before even having tried it. I am not as sure as you are at all that an AA tech console would be the best way to make something useful that resembles a console inside the computer. My bx console is rather kinder to the original tones of the signal than any AA stuff and for me there is still something about the sound of the actual AA tech that has its own sound, regardless what is sampled. Like the sound of a sampler. The sound of the method, if you will. And it isn't better than algos in certain situations. Just a different 'win some - lose some'.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would seem from users reports that there is indeed a large amount of channel variation, with some users reporting close to 10db difference on some channels using EQ ...
they fixed this almost a week ago (?) with an update.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
..ok.

**sniff sniff haha good one......seriously though you should try aquarius with your daw open ... it's at least as easy as PA if not a little quicker. I still say best product this year for functionality at least. A light year leap over the old methodology routine you summarized earlier.
Old 6th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
**sniff sniff haha good one......seriously though you should try aquarius with your daw open ... it's at least as easy as PA if not a little quicker. I still say best product this year for functionality at least. A light year leap over the old methodology routine you summarized earlier.

Yeah i downloaded and tried it about a month ago when i thought something was wrong with my N4 auth, (I had moved the entire folder to my external via symlink) .

I'll try properly next year with the Navy update probs and if/when N4 get's multi but seriously i've no gripe with AA , the tools sound great i'm just on a couple macs, from macbook pro,quad i7 maxed ram imac, and maxed out trash can xeon with 32 gig,and they work like sh*t on them ,sound great can't get near enough instances and i don't believe the solution is change daw or get a pc, even though i know logic pro x handles cpu load like crap.

Everything else works great , so i believe AA just needs to optimize the plugs for use on those systems ,which whatever they're not gonna do at least anytime soon.So fair enough there are others out there and i'm glad for stuff like the BX and soon Nyrv will be offering great alternatives.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

I really doubt that there is a difference of 10db between channels on bx E. I doubt that there is a 5db difference. I will not make tests for this, but when I randomize one instance (eq and comp on) several times, I hear no more than small, tiny bit differences.

Don't believe everything that you read here in gearslutz. Actually, "work in progress" and "not there yet" are common critics that I hear a lot when people talk about Acustica. To me, they are wrong.
Old 6th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
they fixed this almost a week ago (?) with an update.
Good to hear they are updating their tool
Old 7th August 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have very little confidence in algo tech sonics in 2017
I don't think plugins from 2010 sounded better than the 2017 ones. This statement is confusing.

Developers are pushing things further every year. 2017 is definitely an amazing year. I'm looking at the new Karacter, Kush Omega 458, the new UAD SSL bus comp, even the bx E; wonderful tools, nothing inferior about them. Sure, Sand eq sounds in certain situations better but can't replicate the sound made with UAD 4k E or bx E. They sound simply different and I find it incredible to have them all.

Many times I discover that UAD SSL G sounds better than Lime Bus or Pearl Comp, or Cobalt. Same with UAD API 2500 or even the Zener, which is simply irreplaceable ATM.

And to this day nothing can replace for me the 1176 collection either. Tim P version, although loved by many Nebula users, failed to impress me. The new comps in N4 are nice but very different and complementary to the UAD ones.

It's more about what sound one is after than anything else. Naming all non AA plugins inferior is ridiculous IMHO. I did try, out of curiosity, to mix and master a track using only Equilibrium, some Kush and PA compressors, some saturators on busses and in the end the mix turned out terrific and not inferior sounding in any way compared to those mixed with lots of AA stuff. It was quite a surprise, I have to admit. I also did a similar test mixing mostly with PA plugins. No problems either, the producer couldn't spot a difference in quality from mixes done on two consecutive days, one with lots of Acquas and zero PA plugins while the other was quite the opposite.

My experience has shown me lately more and more that the listening system makes a far greater difference than any other tool. I've heard mixes ruined with expensive analog gear and mixes ruined with shiny Acqua plugins as well.
Old 7th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I don't think plugins from 2010 sounded better than the 2017 ones. This statement is confusing.

Developers are pushing things further every year. 2017 is definitely an amazing year. I'm looking at the new Karacter, Kush Omega 458, the new UAD SSL bus comp, even the bx E; wonderful tools, nothing inferior about them. Sure, Sand eq sounds in certain situations better but can't replicate the sound made with UAD 4k E or bx E. They sound simply different and I find it incredible to have them all.

Many times I discover that UAD SSL G sounds better than Lime Bus or Pearl Comp, or Cobalt. Same with UAD API 2500 or even the Zener, which is simply irreplaceable ATM.

And to this day nothing can replace for me the 1176 collection either. Tim P version, although loved by many Nebula users, failed to impress me. The new comps in N4 are nice but very different and complementary to the UAD ones.

It's more about what sound one is after than anything else. Naming all non AA plugins inferior is ridiculous IMHO. I did try, out of curiosity, to mix and master a track using only Equilibrium, some Kush and PA compressors, some saturators on busses and in the end the mix turned out terrific and not inferior sounding in any way compared to those mixed with lots of AA stuff. It was quite a surprise, I have to admit. I also did a similar test mixing mostly with PA plugins. No problems either, the producer couldn't spot a difference in quality from mixes done on two consecutive days, one with lots of Acquas and zero PA plugins while the other was quite the opposite.

My experience has shown me lately more and more that the listening system makes a far greater difference than any other tool. I've heard mixes ruined with expensive analog gear and mixes ruined with shiny Acqua plugins as well.
Of course, they are all just tools. Maserati has a hybrid system, Brauer almost completely otb, and Tchad Blake completely itb and I doubt he uses AA stuff. Do any of those guys deliver bad mixes, or don't know what he's doing ?
I, personnaly, do better mixes with AA stuff. And I have more fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search